The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Gradishar53
HOF Can Kiss My Ass

The Real GOAT!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default Just Wait 'Til This Defense Overcomes Its Chemistry Issues

I'm surprised CHJ would say this to a reporter:

https://www.all22.com/team/broncos-c...lack-chemistry

“It’s still hard,” Harris said, per Michael David Smith of NBC’s Pro Football Talk. “Not being able to take the field, he just brought a Tasmanian Devil’s mentality to our defense, high energy, great leadership. He’s definitely missed, man. I wish he could still be here.”
He also said that there have been some communication breakdowns and that the Broncos defense lacks chemistry without Ward, despite being 2-0 on the young season.
“We’re still working,” Harris noted. “There are still some communication areas that we’re having. We haven’t built that chemistry.”

Maybe trying to light a fire under his teammates?!?!
Gradishar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Hardly an inflammatory comment.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Think he's talking about on field game chemistry, not lockerroom. But there's some off field animosity IMO. Game 1 Harris got on Simmons for ****ing up on the TD. Game 2 broadcast shows Talib in slow motion reacting to Simmons blowing cover on another TD. Talib was pissed. People keep saying how great Simmons is but i just see average. Kelce destroyed him last year.

It's going to be hard for him to gain confidence when the no fly zone keeps saying how much they want Ward.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brick Bolles

Simmons is still young and not used to starting. He has showed me why they decided to dump TJ's contract.

This D still gets Ray back in a few weeks. Imagine what it will be like up front with Ray rotating in! Will make those breakdowns harder to capitalize on.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That's on par with what I've been seeing.

Someone needs to fill that void. Von says he wants to be a leader but I don't see him as being as natural of an extrovert, or as comfortable with speaking out like a Ware or a Ward. So while Von's intentions are great, I don't think it will have the same effect as those other guys. Harris is one guy who should be stepping up, Talib too. We'll see how it plays out.
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Simmons is still young and not used to starting. He has showed me why they decided to dump TJ's contract.

This D still gets Ray back in a few weeks. Imagine what it will be like up front with Ray rotating in! Will make those breakdowns harder to capitalize on.
I don't honestly think we'll get significantly better when Ray comes back. I prefer Barrett, and I really hope that he keeps that starting job all season. Granted, Ray is a much better pass rusher than Edebali, so our pass rush can be more consistent when Von or Shaq need rest.
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
That's on par with what I've been seeing.

Someone needs to fill that void. Von says he wants to be a leader but I don't see him as being as natural of an extrovert, or as comfortable with speaking out like a Ware or a Ward. So while Von's intentions are great, I don't think it will have the same effect as those other guys. Harris is one guy who should be stepping up, Talib too. We'll see how it plays out.

I see Harris stepping up with these words.

Ward was a proven vet Simmons is a kid. He's going to make mistakes that are hard for the no fly to swallow because they still see ward back there. When Ward messes up they brush it off due to his leadership/past performances role. Simmons hasn't earned that yet and will take time. It has to be in the back of some players minds as to why it wasn't done after this season. Wouldn't they have gotten a comp pick anyways?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Meanwhile the Blood of the City is busy counting his share of the $12 mil in cap space.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
I don't honestly think we'll get significantly better when Ray comes back. I prefer Barrett, and I really hope that he keeps that starting job all season. Granted, Ray is a much better pass rusher than Edebali, so our pass rush can be more consistent when Von or Shaq need rest.
I Think Ray was poised to take a huge step forward this season. I love what shaq brings in a rotation, but honestly...he has 8 sacks in his career so far. Ray had 8 in just his second season.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Meanwhile the Blood of the City is busy counting his share of the $12 mil in cap space.
All of which carries over, and all of which may be needed if Trevor keeps playing the way he is.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I agree with Chris Harris
I think the whole defense personnel wise is pretty much the same across the board, but the absence of TJ has definitely thrown the secondary off.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I see Harris stepping up with these words.

Ward was a proven vet Simmons is a kid. He's going to make mistakes that are hard for the no fly to swallow because they still see ward back there. When Ward messes up they brush it off due to his leadership/past performances role. Simmons hasn't earned that yet and will take time. It has to be in the back of some players minds as to why it wasn't done after this season. Wouldn't they have gotten a comp pick anyways?
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things (even though it's a small sample size), this secondary hasn't missed Ward one bit. Simmons is playing good ball. Parks needs to play better but he hasn't been bad.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Simmons has been just as good as Ward ever was. It's just that his issues have been mental where Ward's were physical. And of course there is a buddy bias when it comes to Ward.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
PRBronco
2017 Mock Participant

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Seriously, Simmons has already exceeded my expectations for him, I'm very impressed.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
wolf754life
MACHINE GUN KELLY

KELLY in 2018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#KELLYREDEEMED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradishar53 View Post
I'm surprised CHJ would say this to a reporter:

https://www.all22.com/team/broncos-c...lack-chemistry

“It’s still hard,” Harris said, per Michael David Smith of NBC’s Pro Football Talk. “Not being able to take the field, he just brought a Tasmanian Devil’s mentality to our defense, high energy, great leadership. He’s definitely missed, man. I wish he could still be here.”
He also said that there have been some communication breakdowns and that the Broncos defense lacks chemistry without Ward, despite being 2-0 on the young season.
“We’re still working,” Harris noted. “There are still some communication areas that we’re having. We haven’t built that chemistry.”

Maybe trying to light a fire under his teammates?!?!
Simmons has not been good in either game so far, he has given up 2 touchdowns. Simmons is the "weakest link"
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things (even though it's a small sample size), this secondary hasn't missed Ward one bit. Simmons is playing good ball. Parks needs to play better but he hasn't been bad.
Agreed. Simmons is fine. And Ward was waaaaay overrated as a player.
He was an emotional leader though. I'll give him that.
Also, Todd Davis has been lights out, and he's been one of the guys who was consistently criticized for years. He's playing great. Don't hear much complaining there.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #17
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Simmons has been just as good as Ward ever was. It's just that his issues have been mental where Ward's were physical. And of course there is a buddy bias when it comes to Ward.
Like Khan said though, he's missed some opportunities to lay some wood.

An element of TJ's game that isn't all that easy to coach in.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #18
IA-Broncosfan53
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
All of which carries over, and all of which may be needed if Trevor keeps playing the way he is.
Or for Paradis, Shelby Harris, Shaq Barrett, Todd Davis, or keeping Talib in 2017 (since the experts have been saying for years, he'll be cut the next season due to cap number and age).

That said, I was on board with team cutting Ward because I thought the 2017 season was a lost cause, but I do think now with think this might have been a mistake...
IA-Broncosfan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #19
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Like Khan said though, he's missed some opportunities to lay some wood.

An element of TJ's game that isn't all that easy to coach in.
It's an element that's pretty much dead in today's NFL. Simmons is a coverage safety anyway, and in that department he has the potential to be elite if he cleans up his mistakes.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's an element that's pretty much dead in today's NFL. Simmons is a coverage safety anyway, and in that department he has the potential to be elite if he cleans up his mistakes.
He's gonna have to sack up when Kelce and (if) Gronk come to town.

Coverage safeties are what they eat for breakfast.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Broncosfan53 View Post
Or for Paradis, Shelby Harris, Shaq Barrett, Todd Davis, or keeping Talib in 2017 (since the experts have been saying for years, he'll be cut the next season due to cap number and age).

That said, I was on board with team cutting Ward because I thought the 2017 season was a lost cause, but I do think now with think this might have been a mistake...
I definitely think it was a mistake. Just in terms of depth though.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #22
yerner
Ring of Famer

Simmons is missing a bunch of coverages. He probably will get better. If they want to get back where they were those dumb things can't happen and they need to generate more pass rush. Its not where it was either.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #23
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
He's gonna have to sack up when Kelce and (if) Gronk come to town.

Coverage safeties are what they eat for breakfast.
No they eat safeties who have be left in zone because they can't play man, like, you know, Ward.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Simmons is missing a bunch of coverages. He probably will get better. If they want to get back where they were those dumb things can't happen and they need to generate more pass rush. Its not where it was either.
So Parks should start?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #25
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D Henderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post

Ya QBs have gone his way in both games. In a secondary where there's minimal cracks OCs will find the one crack. Playing more should get him up to speed in coverages after a while, just have to live with the missed ones for a while. Giving up multiple TDs in only 2 games will get the no fly zone talking.