The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default anyone from washington dc area?

have a job interview in DC this week at GWU, wanted to know a bit more about it. seems like a pretty terrible place to live/work/go broke because you cant afford anything. anyone have anything different to say about it? thanks
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Keep an eye out for Redskins ....Watch your top knot.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
have a job interview in DC this week at GWU, wanted to know a bit more about it. seems like a pretty terrible place to live/work/go broke because you cant afford anything. anyone have anything different to say about it? thanks
It's a fine place to live. Like any city, money is pretty bueno. It is expensive but a job in education should leave you flush with cabbage.

It depends on your situation. If you have kids child care can run $900/month on up. Schools? In the district you'll want to do private schooling. In VA it depends on where you live. Entertainment? Museums and **** are free. Nights out, cocktails in particular, can run up a tab. There is always cool **** going on in town. It's no NYC but it ain't nothing either. The redskins fans are insufferable dillwads but they're better than philly fans. Philly sucks.

Humidity. Summer humidity sucks. It's like living in a dog's mouth. Service...Kennedy said doc is a town of northern charm and southern efficiency. Truth.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
It's a fine place to live. Like any city, money is pretty bueno. It is expensive but a job in education should leave you flush with cabbage.

It depends on your situation. If you have kids child care can run $900/month on up. Schools? In the district you'll want to do private schooling. In VA it depends on where you live. Entertainment? Museums and **** are free. Nights out, cocktails in particular, can run up a tab. There is always cool **** going on in town. It's no NYC but it ain't nothing either. The redskins fans are insufferable dillwads but they're better than philly fans. Philly sucks.

Humidity. Summer humidity sucks. It's like living in a dog's mouth. Service...Kennedy said doc is a town of northern charm and southern efficiency. Truth.
can not get any truer then this..do not live far from there and this is DC life..
Chrissy Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
It all depends on where you live. Living in the city is more $$$ than northern VA. Traffic sucks, the weather is humid in the summer but I love living here.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
It all depends on where you live. Living in the city is more $$$ than northern VA. Traffic sucks, the weather is humid in the summer but I love living here.
And Maryland...well, it's Maryland.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Lived here off an on since 1992. I keep saying I'm going to leave, but honestly, there a lot really great about this area. Real estate is expensive as ****, but if you don't have kids it's more than doable. Traffic and weather are by far the worst traits. Summers in AZ are more bearable that most summers here. You take a 3 month break from the sun in the winter, and we get more annual rainfall than Seattle.

That said the DMV area is likely one of the most culturally diverse areas in the county, possibly the world. You can get literally any kind of food you want, and it's quality. You will never run out of things to do. You could go camping in the Appalachian mountains, catch a Nationals game, check out world famous art galleries and then go clubbing all the same weekend.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Home of the Ravens..
Chrissy Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I lived there (Ft. Meade, Maryland to be exact) briefly in 2004-2005.

It's really not that bad... traffic is awful, but it's a pretty decent area. Odenton/Arlington are the places to be because they're cheaper. There really is a lot to do... although I was really young, so I mostly just hung out at DuClaw Brew pub... or Ravens/Redskins games... or Gillians, lol, because that's where we could have gotten Broncos games.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

GW is right on the metro too so that's an easy ride and not too shabby of a drive from va.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
uplink
Ring of Famer

I used to work at GWU, rode the orange metro rail in from Maryland. I agree not too shabby a commute. It a interesting city to work in, a lot to do after work. The museums, art galleries, zoo, and more are all free in DC. You can tour all the gov. buildings and walk around the IMF and World bank which are next door to GWU. You'll be a few blocks from the White House.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It's very good place to live, there is always something to do or going on. DC has hit a phase of urban renew so the city is cool but it expensive. Inside the beltway is also great expect for areas of Prince William (that were the pushed out all the folks they couldn't afford living in DC). Outside the beltway home prices are slightly less but you pay for that by sending time in traffic

Positives- Good local economy, active social scene, good education, food and plenty of opperunities both in employment and doing things (fine arts, food, going out, outside activities)

Negatives - traffic, real estate prices, traffic, summer heat, tourists on Metro, panic on the roads if there is any snow or ice, I95 traffic
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #13
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:

For the most part this. It is expensive to leave in the area, traffic sucks, always things to do (best stuff in DC). DC area is a good place to live if you can get past the cost of living and traffic.

If you have kids, school system in NOVA (Fairfax county) are some of the best in the country. Probably because of the high cost of living (or vic versa). Also VA has some of the best colleges in the country.

Also the area is very culturally diverse. There are a lot of different nationalities leaving in the area, and you get to experience their way of life, whether it be through the food, activities, festivals, or whatever else.

Last edited by HILife; 07-21-2014 at 05:07 AM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulseeker View Post
I lived there (Ft. Meade, Maryland to be exact) briefly in 2004-2005.

It's really not that bad... traffic is awful, but it's a pretty decent area. Odenton/Arlington are the places to be because they're cheaper. There really is a lot to do... although I was really young, so I mostly just hung out at DuClaw Brew pub... or Ravens/Redskins games... or Gillians, lol, because that's where we could have gotten Broncos games.
Don't know much about Odenton, but I do know that Arlington isn't cheap. It's right across the water from DC, so buying a home there is expensive. You don't get alot of bang for your buck, if you like space.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #15
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It's very good place to live, there is always something to do or going on. DC has hit a phase of urban renew so the city is cool but it expensive. Inside the beltway is also great expect for areas of Prince William (that were the pushed out all the folks they couldn't afford living in DC). Outside the beltway home prices are slightly less but you pay for that by sending time in traffic

Positives- Good local economy, active social scene, good education, food and plenty of opperunities both in employment and doing things (fine arts, food, going out, outside activities)

Negatives - traffic, real estate prices, traffic, summer heat, tourists on Metro, panic on the roads if there is any snow or ice, I95 traffic
I think you mean Prince George's County. Prince William is outside the beltway. Parts of Prince George's County is where people are getting pushed to since Southeast DC is being fixed up.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I lived in the NOVA area for 30 years. Manassas, Fairfax, Alexandria, South Arlington. By far my favorite place to live was south Arlington. I was about a 10 minute walk from Pentagon City metro so I hardly ever used my car. Traffic is bad but if you use the Metro you mostly just have to worry about being the occasional sardine. Lived there on 9/11 and our neighborhood with choked with smoke the following days.

The GW Parkway has a beautiful trail for running/jogging/biking right in to DC. Run aroiund the Mall and the monuments. Very inspirational every time. Best workout I ever had. Lots of hot chicks too.

Expensive as hell though. It was just too pricy for me and I knew I'd be renting with roomates or stuck in some claustrophobic condo to remain there so I moved to Charlotte where my money goes probably more than twice as far.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

God bless anyone that wants to live in the land of tail lights and licsense plates. Enjoy spending time in your car.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Navy Broncos Fan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I currently live in Pasadena Maryland and commute down to Suitland/DC daily for work, traffic here is teribad. I wont really comment on the price as I lived in San Diego prior to this and real estates is basically the same price for less yard and gas was more.
Navy Broncos Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
God bless anyone that wants to live in the land of tail lights and licsense plates. Enjoy spending time in your car.
I 25 ain't no picnic either brother.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Columbia, MD = the worst two years of my life. Being close to DC for the museums, monuments, etc. was the only good thing about it. Baltimore night life was better than DC, strangely enough.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

A bit of a different viewpoint here:

I currently live in Maryland and I used to live in Virginia in the Courthouse/Clarendon neighborhood and I strongly prefer Maryland.

You have to like living in a small space or a transitioning neighborhood if you want to live close to the metro, or else you will probably have to drive. I live close to a metro stop which makes commuting nice - but I only have 1,000 sq ft of space and live with 425 of my best friends in a massive apartment building. I'd love more space but I decided that I didn't want to spend 2 hrs in traffic everyday so I had to make that trade off.

Also on child care - I pay a FORTUNE - I'd love to hear about options where you can get care for 900 a month.

Overall it has been a good city to me work wise - but I miss Colorado like no other and can't wait until the day I can go back.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #22
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

The options for $900/month were in home care and sketchy. We landed at $1,200/month/child. When my boy started kindergarten it was an immediate pay bump. Then he started hockey so now I'm back to ****ed again.

Maryland sucks. It's full of Marylanders. I'd rather have white hot rebar shoved in my pee hole than drive the beltway in MD. It's not bueno. Not bueno at all.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

I also avoid the beltway at all costs - I agree it blows and your analogy is an accurate description of the couple times I tried to get to Maryland from Virginia on 495.

But man Virginia felt like adult Disneyland to me - everyone looked and dressed the same, all the restaurants, bars, and buildings looked the same, everyone talked about the same stupid crap, there were pretend Redskins fans everywhere - I felt like I lived in an alternative reality. Maybe I was living in the wrong part of VA, maybe it was me. I'm not saying Maryland is that much better - its just that Virginia was that bad for me.

But getting back to the OP - I think there is enough diversity in neighborhoods where you can find what you are looking for - it just may take a couple tries.

So while I may have slagged on DC a bit there are great things here. Virginia has an awesome State Park system, Shenandoah national park is nearby and Skyline Drive is stunning, the Eastern Shore/Annapolis is nice as well - there are beautiful places not that far from the DMV to visit once you've seen all the free great museums and don't want to see tourists.

Last edited by Binkythefrog; 07-21-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife View Post
I think you mean Prince George's County. Prince William is outside the beltway. Parts of Prince George's County is where people are getting pushed to since Southeast DC is being fixed up.
Mental ****-up this morning. Prince George has its rough spots too.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I 25 ain't no picnic either brother.
During Rush hours...sure...otherwise it flows well.

The beltway is a mess from sun up to well after the sun goes down.

Here's the difference between living here and living there. There is traffic on the side roads during rush hours. In DC, NOVA, and SMD it's like that all day. A perpetual rush hour. It's awful. I don't really get why anyone would want to live there.

Case and point...I once went to a Friday night pre-season game between the Redskins and The Pats in Landover. We had to leave Fairfax at 1:45 pm and barely made the 7 pm start time. That's 5 hours to go 30 miles

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 07-21-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote