The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Frankenstein Lives!

A new laboratory technique enables biologists to “edit” the genetic makeup of entire species for purposes ranging from the benevolent to the nefarious, with the “potential to cause ecological mayhem,” Antonio Regalado reports in MIT Technology Review.

“Gene drive,” Regalado writes in a review of current articles on the topic, “would cause chosen genes, including man-made ones, to quickly spread through a species as its members reproduce.” He cites a new report in Science that gives background on the method:

[A] gene drive involves stimulating biased inheritance of particular genes to alter entire populations of organisms. It was first proposed more than a decade ago, and researchers have been developing gene drive approaches to alter mosquitoes to slow the spread of malaria and dengue fever. Although progress has been quite slow, recent advances in gene editing could lead to a rapid application of gene drive approaches to other species.

Researchers have already used the method to design mosquitos that produce only male offspring “with the idea of releasing them in the wild to cause a population crash, thereby reducing malaria,” Regalado explains. Any number of other ends could be imagined.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartothegrou..._urge_20140719

Quite frankly, these people are insane.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I see what you did there! bravo
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
A new laboratory technique enables biologists to “edit” the genetic makeup of entire species for purposes ranging from the benevolent to the nefarious, with the “potential to cause ecological mayhem,” Antonio Regalado reports in MIT Technology Review.

“Gene drive,” Regalado writes in a review of current articles on the topic, “would cause chosen genes, including man-made ones, to quickly spread through a species as its members reproduce.” He cites a new report in Science that gives background on the method:

[A] gene drive involves stimulating biased inheritance of particular genes to alter entire populations of organisms. It was first proposed more than a decade ago, and researchers have been developing gene drive approaches to alter mosquitoes to slow the spread of malaria and dengue fever. Although progress has been quite slow, recent advances in gene editing could lead to a rapid application of gene drive approaches to other species.

Researchers have already used the method to design mosquitos that produce only male offspring “with the idea of releasing them in the wild to cause a population crash, thereby reducing malaria,” Regalado explains. Any number of other ends could be imagined.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartothegrou..._urge_20140719

Quite frankly, these people are insane.
All part of the "End Times"
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Whether you believe in God or in billions of years of evolution, mankind is not smarter than either of these means of species development. We should really take a step back on certain types of genetic engineering, not abandon them, but just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. Even if it would help with a short-term problem, altering these organisms can have unforeseen effects.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
Whether you believe in God or in billions of years of evolution, mankind is not smarter than either of these means of species development. We should really take a step back on certain types of genetic engineering, not abandon them, but just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. Even if it would help with a short-term problem, altering these organisms can have unforeseen effects.
That's what I'm saying. We have no idea how the whole thing fits together. I figure nature has been using evolution to work on species for hundreds of millions of years, and we're just going to step in and start monkeying around with the machinery? I don't think so.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

This is going to end badly. Some a-hole is going to end up with a crazy idea of re-working the human genome and **** civilization over.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
This is going to end badly. Some a-hole is going to end up with a crazy idea of re-working the human genome and **** civilization over.
It has already happening in the plant world. Do some reading up on GMOs. There are also some great documentaries, many are on NetFlix.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Your precious science starting to scare you?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Your precious science starting to scare you?
Compared to superstition? Nope.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Never give a monkey a loaded gun.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

at 47 minutes

Last edited by baja; 07-20-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

gene mapping is the PC term for genocide... just watch. In about 20 years you will have people wanting to create super humans with the justification that this will help the quality of life. But all this will do is give "civilization" the excuse to abort even more babies because they don't live up to certain criteria. This is just the next step in what the Nazis were trying to do back in 1940.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Frankly if we can initiate the next holocaust on mosquitos then I volunteer my back yard as ground zero.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

They say if you take vitamin B complex the mosquitos will leave you alone
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
kappys
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
They say if you take vitamin B complex the mosquitos will leave you alone
They are liars - I take MVI and B vitamins and mosquitos swarm me like moths to the flame
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
They are liars - I take MVI and B vitamins and mosquitos swarm me like moths to the flame

You might try burning a citronella bucket candle or put on Skin so Soft ( from Avon)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
It has already happening in the plant world. Do some reading up on GMOs. There are also some great documentaries, many are on NetFlix.
Why you hate seedless grapes?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Why you hate seedless grapes?
Because seeds are the best part and BTW they are not genetically engineered
Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
kappys
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You might try burning a citronella bucket candle or put on Skin so Soft ( from Avon)
Citronella works but if I want to mow the yard or do some gardening I don't want to have to tote a lit candle with me.

At any rate I want the genetically engineered mosquitos. Mosquitos have been mans nemesis through the millenia - its time to take our revenge
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Kevin8Nine
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There are many misconceptions about mosquitoes. Here is a short video to explain.

The video basic explains that there are certain people who are predisposed to be bitten.

To prevent mosquito bites there are only two ways to do it:

1. Insect repellent with deet
2. Over the counter Antihistamines

Or you could build yourself a screened in back porch/swimming pool like people in the south

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 07-20-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Citronella works but if I want to mow the yard or do some gardening I don't want to have to tote a lit candle with me.

At any rate I want the genetically engineered mosquitos. Mosquitos have been mans nemesis through the millenia - its time to take our revenge
How will the bats eat?

BTW this works thank me later

http://www.amazon.com/Avon-SKIN-SO-S.../dp/B0001ZWPI4
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
How will the bats eat?

BTW this works thank me later

http://www.amazon.com/Avon-SKIN-SO-S.../dp/B0001ZWPI4
Ducks can pretty much live on mosquitoes and their larvae.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I'll check those out. The plant altering has never been that worrisome to me. In a world where many can't get to food the ability to grow crop through science has always seemed to be a good idea. It is just when that genetic tinkering starts happening on a level that can affect mankind that I begin to get extremely leery of moving forward with it.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I'll check those out. The plant altering has never been that worrisome to me. In a world where many can't get to food the ability to grow crop through science has always seemed to be a good idea. It is just when that genetic tinkering starts happening on a level that can affect mankind that I begin to get extremely leery of moving forward with it.
The fact is, there has never been a single study on the human safety of these products. Any implication to the contrary is a pure fabrication. Make the corporate apologists produce a single study, and they can not. The important point is this. Among scientists, the scientific community is deeply divided as to whether these foods are safe or not, so the burden of proof is on industry. And so far, the corporations have failed to demonstrate the safety of these foods on humans through a single study. In the last thirty years global demand for food has doubled. In a race to feed the planet, scientists have discovered how to manipulate DNA, the blueprint of life, and produce what they claim are stronger, more disease-resistant crops. However, fears that Genetically Modified Food may not be safe for humans or the environment has sparked violent protest. Are we participating in a dangerous global nutritional experiment? This informative film helps the viewer decide if the production of genetically modified food is a panacea for world hunger or a global poison.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/genet...modified-food/

30 Documentaries about food, farming, agriculture, GMOs, water, the tar sands, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/raïs-...51286908552258
Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Baja if you want to get science out of food production you really need to pick which billion starve.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote