The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default NFL Holding Call Explained by Mike Pereira

Former Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira narrates the video used to train NFL referees. I have always wondered about this rule myself and have gotten in many drunken arguments while watching games. The video is about 10 minutes long and kicks into gear about 1:45 in, but is an excellent explanation the controversial rule. The Broncos are in the video many times for some reason.

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 07-08-2014 at 05:16 PM..
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I thought the last 3.5 minutes of that video was interesting. I did not know that if your defender ripped arm up that it would not be a hold.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Nice find - at work currently so unable to watch now but will watch with interest later. I've argued elsewhere that a lot of what we call 'holding not called' is actually based on us not understanding how the league wants the rule enforced. Don't know if this video will support or oppose my argument but it should end it one way or another....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Nice find - at work currently so unable to watch now but will watch with interest later. I've argued elsewhere that a lot of what we call 'holding not called' is actually based on us not understanding how the league wants the rule enforced. Don't know if this video will support or oppose my argument but it should end it one way or another....
Exactly.

+1
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Excellent, Worth watching just for understanding the Rip Technique call. Now if they could just get all the officials to make these calls consistently we would have no reason to b**** and moan.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

great video.

Tough rule to call ...easiest holds are the ones where the blocker is beat and the holding when the runner runs by the block... some of the others are tough due to the "feet get beat" aspect and it happens so fast.

Manning does help his oline by getting rid of the ball fast - thus less holding calls.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote