The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default Broncos will need to tweak fit on cap

Broncos will need to tweak fit on cap

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the Denver Broncos launched themselves into free agency earlier this year, many in the league were quick to compliment the team's salary-cap standing that enabled them to be so aggressive. And John Elway, the team's top football decision-maker, has routinely said he doesn't want to do so many things "that we're right up against the cap. We want to stay competitive, compete for world championships and that means handling ourselves in that arena, too."

But as the Broncos continue to try to get a long-term deal done for wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, they are nudging up against their cap restrictions.

Denver will have to adjust its salary-cap number in order to give Demaryius Thomas a contract extension.
Currently, at least until the rosters league wide are cut to 53 players following the fourth preseason game, teams only have to be under with their top 51 salary-cap figures. That puts the Broncos under the cap right now, but with their top 51 coming in at just over $132 million (the cap baseline is $133 million per team) they will have to do at least some work before the end of the preseason -- even with some accounting benefits like rolling over some unused cap space from 2013 -- to sign Thomas, get 53 players under the cap and have enough room to effectively deal with any potential players on injured reserve.

And for a team that had just $24 million worth of salary-cap charges for players on injured reserve by the time they loaded the plane for their Super Bowl trip -- most of that was left tackle Ryan Clady, who signed a new long-term deal with the team last offseason -- that is not something to take lightly.

Overall, the Broncos have about $4.6 million of workable cap space after counting their top 51 contracts, including rollover from last year, as they turn toward training camp. So it’s a good time to take a look at some money matters and where things stand at some of the notable spots on the depth chart.
Quarterback Peyton Manning has the team’s highest cap figure, at $17.5 million and the Broncos have the biggest cap gap of any position between starter and backup with No. 2 Brock Osweiler, still on his rookie deal, coming in at $959,094 against the cap.
Wide receiver Wes Welker’s $8 million cap figure is highest among the wide receivers and the fourth highest on the team behind only Manning, Clady and defensive end DeMarcus Ware.
Decisions are coming at tight end. Of the seven tight ends on the roster at the moment, the top five will be unrestricted free agents following the 2014 season, a list that includes Julius Thomas, Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen. Tamme’s $3.5 million cap figure leads the way at the position, just in front of Dreessen’s $3.1 million. Dreessen has not participated in the team’s offseason program because of knee troubles.
Of the six Broncos players who currently have cap figures of at least $7 million for '14, four play on offense and two – Clady ($8.6 million) and guard Louis Vasquez ($7.25 million) – are offensive line starters. So, to be Manning, or play nearby in the formation, is where the big money is. Ware and cornerback Aqib Talib – both free agency signings this past March – are the defensive players among the six.
The Broncos’ biggest dead-money hit – salary-cap charges for players no longer on the roster – is $2.1 million for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had the second year of his original contract with the Broncos voided five days after the Super Bowl. Other notable dead-money charges are $1.83 million for the retired Chris Kuper and $500,000 for Willis McGahee, who was cut over a year ago.

read more about the grossly overpaid punter here;

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...eak-fit-on-cap

Everybody happy now

Last edited by baja; 07-05-2014 at 02:53 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

****ing punters and kickers making millions between them.

Dreesen still not healthy enough to cut?
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I don't get the premise of this story. Why would the Broncos sign contracts beginning this year? that is just not the way the team does business.

The Thomasx2 deals will kick in starting next season so they are entirely irrelevant for this years cap. I do imagine the Broncos will make cap adjustments anyway to free up some salary cap to have in season flexibility but also to be able to carry over some salary cap space for next season.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Good read.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
bombay
Ring of Famer

Colquitt at 3.67? Hmm...
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
The Broncos’ biggest dead-money hit – salary-cap charges for players no longer on the roster – is $2.1 million for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had the second year of his original contract with the Broncos voided five days after the Super Bowl.
This is what stood out for me. I did not know he was cut 5 days after the SB. Is that even correct?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
slick7
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You guys get in trouble for posting pictures of women in bikinis, but you can copy and paste an entire article and not catch any crap for it?

Weird.
slick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
You guys get in trouble for posting pictures of women in bikinis, but you can copy and paste an entire article and not catch any crap for it?

Weird.
it's linked for credit.

You sound like one of those guys that you could give an ice cream to and you would biatch that it was frozen.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
slick7
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
it's linked for credit.
I see that. I thought you could only copy and paste the first couple of sentences whether you linked it or not. Not trying to hijack, sorry.

I had no idea Colquitt made that much. Wow!

Considering how few times he actually punts, dude's got a great gig.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
slick7
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
it's linked for credit.

You sound like one of those guys that you could give an ice cream to and you would biatch that it was frozen.
I just made an observation. Lighten up man.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't get the premise of this story. Why would the Broncos sign contracts beginning this year? that is just not the way the team does business.

The Thomasx2 deals will kick in starting next season so they are entirely irrelevant for this years cap. I do imagine the Broncos will make cap adjustments anyway to free up some salary cap to have in season flexibility but also to be able to carry over some salary cap space for next season.
Agreed. Any deals done with the Thomas's will basically be extensions of their current deals. That the would begin paying out next season once Welker, Tamme, Dreesen deals come off the books(still won't be surprised to see Welker brought back on a team friendly deal)

Elway and staff have worked the cap very well. I see no issues signing our own guys next off season.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
it's linked for credit.

Baja, just a thought but you might want to check with Taco about it. this thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95176 was stickied a few years ago about Denver Post articles and copyright issues and while I don't know if is all sources or just DP, there is the possibility you are not supposed to quote the entire article.

Just an FYI. I wouldn't want Taco or the OM to get in any trouble in case that it is the case that copying an entire article is a copyright violation.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
I just made an observation. Lighten up man.
I just made a joke. I see you don't post much maybe so I should have included a
Old 07-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
Baja, just a thought but you might want to check with Taco about it. this thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95176 was stickied a few years ago about Denver Post articles and copyright issues and while I don't know if is all sources or just DP, there is the possibility you are not supposed to quote the entire article.

Just an FYI. I wouldn't want Taco or the OM to get in any trouble in case that it is the case that copying an entire article is a copyright violation.
OK I changed it.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

We'll be fine. Dressen or Tamme will be gone soon enough, maybe both but we'll probably keep 1. I don't believe we have any dead money for next year also. You can't really ask Manning to restructure, he just had the greatest season of any QB in the history of the game. You can't have a guy do that and then tell him to shave a few million, lol. Welker will most likely be gone next year so that's a bit more room.

Plus, isn't the cap figure going up next year?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
OK I changed it.
Its nothing a good enema wouldn't fix.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
We'll be fine. Dressen or Tamme will be gone soon enough, maybe both but we'll probably keep 1. I don't believe we have any dead money for next year also. You can't really ask Manning to restructure, he just had the greatest season of any QB in the history of the game. You can't have a guy do that and then tell him to shave a few million, lol. Welker will most likely be gone next year so that's a bit more room.

Plus, isn't the cap figure going up next year?
When I read the part of the article about dead money I thought back to the Shanahan years and thought so what's the problem we are in great shape with the dead cap money.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Its nothing a good enema wouldn't fix.
There is very little under the sun that a good enema will not fix.

We should start with Washington DC.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
When I read the part of the article about dead money I thought back to the Shanahan years and thought so what's the problem we are in great shape with the dead cap money.
. Shanny at the end there was the king of dead money deals. Oh that was a nightmare.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

I don't think it would be that out of line to ask Manning to help out a little. Elway has made a heroic effort putting this roster together, and Manning is both a huge contributor and the major beneficiary.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
. Shanny at the end there was the king of dead money deals. Oh that was a nightmare.

The funny part is SoCal is always crucifying Bowlen for being cheap when in fact Shanahan was so bad at contracts for washed up players we always had so much dead money we could not spend for better players.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

It's been widely reported they are trying to sign DT to a new contract before training camp and maybe JT too.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #23
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
This is what stood out for me. I did not know he was cut 5 days after the SB. Is that even correct?
Yes. On paper it was always a 2-year deal that voided after the SB. It let them spread out his signing bonus' cap hit.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Yes. On paper it was always a 2-year deal that voided after the SB. It let them spread out his signing bonus' cap hit.
So was he under contract for this season?

Or was it automatically voided and always intended to be a one year deal. If so seems like cap manipulation if not out right violation.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #25
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I wouldn t be surprised that legwold is whining about nothing...
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote