The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Tim Samaras & rest of team dead after chasing EF3 Twister

Hard to say I'm stunned given the line of work they were in but he always struck me as one of the more safety conscience chasers. Tim and his team were one of the featured teams on Discovery Channels 'Storm Chaser'.

Apparently it was a multi-vortex tornado and it picked up the car and threw it 1/2 mile. Tim was still seated in the car and the other 2 bodies were thrown from the car, each 1/2 mile away from where the car landed. There were other chasers in the area who also got caught in the storm, one car driven by a team from The Weather Channel was thrown 200 yards and each person in that car ended up with only minor injuries (video taken from inside that car - http://bcove.me/v8z5a58b). It's hard to imagine a car being picked up and thrown the distance of 2 football fields and the occupants only sustaining minor injuries.

RIP Tim and to the rest of your team. They were definitely in this field for the science to help understand tornados in order to help people. They weren't in it for the thrill of the hunt like some. Tim was a native of Lakewood, CO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...half-mile.html

ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Ya this happened over a year ago didn't it?? Anyways, he was always the one they said was too safe...would never get close enough to the action...but he also chased in a regular pickup instead of the terminator or other armored vehicles
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
Ya this happened over a year ago didn't it?? Anyways, he was always the one they said was too safe...would never get close enough to the action...but he also chased in a regular pickup instead of the terminator or other armored vehicles
Yeah I guess it did. I wonder why TWC still has it as one of the featured links, usually that's pretty recent stuff. Anyway, none the less, it's a shame. I do remember watching that show and many times I even said to myself, wow, that guy is so much more cautious then the others. Yes of course he didn't have a tank like the TIV and he also wasn't trying to get 'inside' a twister like Reed and some others. He just wanted to lay his probes in the path and get out of there.

Did what's his face ever finish that IMAX film he was working on. I remember looking for it a few years back but never saw anything. That would have been cool to see.

EDIT - well I guess he did. Looks damn cool. I sure wish I would have saw that in the IMAX theater.

Last edited by ZONA; 07-03-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Bronco
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
You must not have read anything above. Tim was not playing stupid games. He wasn't a chaser out there for the thrill of the chase so he could upload videos and what not. He was an actual scientist trying to do serious work so that one day it could help save lives. Not sure where you get off calling what he did a stupid game.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You must not have read anything above. Tim was not playing stupid games. He wasn't a chaser out there for the thrill of the chase so he could upload videos and what not. He was an actual scientist trying to do serious work so that one day it could help save lives. Not sure where you get off calling what he did a stupid game.
Well then his work is done....and he will save lives as this should serve as a public safety announcement - " ****ing tornadoes are dangerous"
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah I guess it did. I wonder why TWC still has it as one of the featured links, usually that's pretty recent stuff. Anyway, none the less, it's a shame. I do remember watching that show and many times I even said to myself, wow, that guy is so much more cautious then the others. Yes of course he didn't have a tank like the TIV and he also wasn't trying to get 'inside' a twister like Reed and some others. He just wanted to lay his probes in the path and get out of there.

Did what's his face ever finish that IMAX film he was working on. I remember looking for it a few years back but never saw anything. That would have been cool to see.

EDIT - well I guess he did. Looks damn cool. I sure wish I would have saw that in the IMAX theater.

Yes he did finish the film. It was called "tornado alley" and was in the Imax for quite some time. I also saw it on TV a while back. Im pretty sure you can buy it on the internet somewhere. And ya, this happened over a year ago
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Brohemoth
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Mankind always believes it can control everything. The best "science" to avoid tornado deaths is to not live where there are tornadoes.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I would think we would be able to now do this work with drones, rather than human beings.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
Mankind always believes it can control everything. The best "science" to avoid tornado deaths is to not live where there are tornadoes.
I don't think any scientist trying to study these tornados thinks they can control them. They're just trying to find better ways of how to detect when they will happen and to be able to warn people faster.

And seriously, you don't think people should live where they happen? So nobody gets to live in KS, OK, TX, NE, MO, IA, AR? What about earthquakes, I guess that means nobody gets to live in CA. What about hurricanes, I guess that means nobody is living in FL, NC, SC, GA, NY, NJ, RI, etc. Where should we all live?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I would think we would be able to now do this work with drones, rather than human beings.
Not sure how you fly a drone in 200+ MPH winds. Tim was placing probes in the path of them. He'd get a few hundreds yards away, guess the angle the tornado was going, and leave his probes on the ground. As Casey pointed out, he spent 8 years TRYING to get hit by a tornado before he finally made it happen. It's not an exact science, where they will pop up, where they are going, how fast they move, etc. You need people out there. They have their standard rules most of them follow. They normally don't like to chase in heavy tree coverage because they can't see them. Nor do they usually chase at night. And most of them do try to stay at least several hundred yards away. If it's a big boy, like an EF4 or EF5, they usually stay quite a bit further away then that.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

old news is old...
wolf754life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Mama nature doesn't win every time but eventually she always wins.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #14
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Mama nature doesn't win every time but eventually she always wins.
so do I...
Chrissy Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

RIP Spring of 2013.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #16
Brohemoth
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't think any scientist trying to study these tornados thinks they can control them. They're just trying to find better ways of how to detect when they will happen and to be able to warn people faster.

And seriously, you don't think people should live where they happen? So nobody gets to live in KS, OK, TX, NE, MO, IA, AR? What about earthquakes, I guess that means nobody gets to live in CA. What about hurricanes, I guess that means nobody is living in FL, NC, SC, GA, NY, NJ, RI, etc. Where should we all live?
There were 673 tornado deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

There were 0 earthquake deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

There were 118 hurricane deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

Yes, GTFO of KS, OK, TX, NE, MO, IA, AR.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #17
Meck77

I'd bet somewhere along the way he said the risk of his work was worth his life. A hundred million+ people do a 10,20, 50 mile commute in their cars each and everyday. That's about as dangerous as it gets. You put your life on the line everyday. What's even worse now is all the texting these day. It's as if every driver has his head buried in a cell phone. It's probably safer to be sitting in a truck in the boonies waiting for a tornado to hit you then to be an average commuter in America.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
There were 673 tornado deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

There were 0 earthquake deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

There were 118 hurricane deaths in the US from 2011-2013.

Yes, GTFO of KS, OK, TX, NE, MO, IA, AR.

I actually agree with you. When Katrina hit New Orleans and everyone was talking about the cost of rebuild. I wondered why would someone choose to live in a city that is below sea level in a hurricane prone area? never made sense to me.

I also would not live in KS, OK, NE, MO, IA, AR, or especially TX, not only b/c I don't want my house destroyed, but just because all of those places suck. Don't even get me started on TX.
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Amen! I don't buy for one second these guys are ONLY in it for the science. They are adrenaline junkies too, yes they may do some science too, but that science can easily be done via automated methods as Rohirrim describes without driving right into a freakin' tornado.

I wonder how many of the other cars in the video of the crew that got tossed 200 yards were also 'chasers'. I get it... it's thrilling and risky and all the things that peak peoples interest in pressing the edge of the envelope.

I wonder what his wife and kids left behind think about his profession now and if he might not been able to do his scientific contributions without putting his person in direct jeopardy as much as these guys do.

It was as much for the ratings and bucks from shows like Storm chasers as it was for the science of it, that they take the risks on camera that they do.

Nevertheless, it's a sad thing for his family for sure.
Hulamau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I heard he tried to chase the moon too but it eclipsed him.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Zona, did you hear Neil Armstrong died?

Did you know he landed on the moon?

Sorry about the dude who died, he had to know what he was getting himself into. I guess if I were to go I would want to go playing guitar or something else I loved doing.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Zona, did you hear Neil Armstrong died?

Did you know he landed on the moon?

Sorry about the dude who died, he had to know what he was getting himself into. I guess if I were to go I would want to go playing guitar or something else I loved doing.
Playing guitar? No way dude. I get the feeling you would want to go out the same way I want to, but it's not possible. I want to float in space until I freeze to death or run out of oxygen.

Oh the sights would just be something worth dying for.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #23
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

Darwin
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote