The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #101
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
in the same token he isn't the reason you lose a Super Bowl either..
Yeah, but the year they won it was unknown Dominic Rhodes who tore apart the Bears defense in that monsoon....Addai played well that year, but Rhodes was the playoff monster....

As much as people love Peyton, he had a subpar superbowl in his "MVP" performance. The lone TD was a busted coverage on Reggie wayne and Rhodes and Addai had more yards in that game.

So, to the original poster, Peyton won the SB with a starting Rookie RB and an UDFA backup who played lights out in the SB.... just saying...

Last edited by Mediator12; 07-04-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #102
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Good to see what the b****ing will be about this early.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #103
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Yeah, but the year they won it was unknown Dominic Rhodes who tore apart the Bears defense in that monsoon....Addai played well that year, but Rhodes was the playoff monster....

As much as people love Peyton, he had a subpar superbowl in his "MVP" performance. The lone TD was a busted coverage on Reggie wayne and Rhodes and Addai had more yards in that game.

So, to the original poster, Peyton won the SB with a starting Rookie RB and an UDFA backup who played lights out in the SB.... just saying...
Yeah, and what was probably more amazing was the 180 their run defense did in the playoffs. They were absolutely getting torched during the regular season and when Sanders came back for the playoffs, they were really good. Hopefully that elite level safety play happens for us too with Ward coming in.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #104
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

So would it be safe to say a QB like Elway or Manning can drag a team to the SB but it's takes a running game and good defense to win the game because the great QB play can be taken away somewhat by a SB quality defense.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #105
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Freakin' Griese
Don't get me started...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #106
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:

true but Addai was a BIG reason they got there and technically if anybody tore apart the Bears it was the return of Sanders..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #107
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
They each have their strengths. Decker may have been slower but he was alot bigger. Would love to still h ave Decker here but he was going to get way too much money for a 2nd WR. I like where we are at with WR. We have a total top 5 stud in DT as our #1. Sanders can fill in for the #2 for now, he's lagit, he's not only straight line fast, he's got those shifty quicks too, and a good set of hands. He's ideal to move to the slot once we let Welker go next year. Hopefully Latimer improves and becomes that lagit #2. We'll be set with one of the top 3 WR groups in the NFL, if not the best.
I think you are right it's a great skill set at receiver and none of them the same type.

Demarious= Big and fast with huge catch radius, very tough outside, inside and after the catch.

Welker- tiny little fireplug who runs shifty quick routes and is very good with hot reads and checkdowns.

Sanders- Sort of a tweener. Shifty and fast enough for the slot, but not so small he can't play outside. Good after the catch with 4.4 speed deep.

Julious Thomas- Big fast TE who is like DT but at TE.

It's a nice skill set and all of them will have routes and plays especially for them.

I could see us having 4 1000 yrd pass catchers. Has any team ever done that?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #108
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think you are right it's a great skill set at receiver and none of them the same type.

Demarious= Big and fast with huge catch radius, very tough outside, inside and after the catch.

Welker- tiny little fireplug who runs shifty quick routes and is very good with hot reads and checkdowns.

Sanders- Sort of a tweener. Shifty and fast enough for the slot, but not so small he can't play outside. Good after the catch with 4.4 speed deep.

Julious Thomas- Big fast TE who is like DT but at TE.

It's a nice skill set and all of them will have routes and plays especially for them.

I could see us having 4 1000 yrd pass catchers. Has any team ever done that?
I don't believe any team has ever had 4 guys with 1000 yards receiving. That's quite a hefty accomplishment. I don't think any teams have ever had 3 guys get over 1000 receiving yards. You have to figure backs catching the ball, subs, etc. We did have 4 guys have over 10 receiving TD's last year, that never happened before.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #109
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

With the vastly improved D we seem to have Manning will get the ball a lot more as our D gets off the field sooner. If he can play this year like he did last year he could possibly pass for 6000 yards.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #110
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I don't believe any team has ever had 4 guys with 1000 yards receiving. That's quite a hefty accomplishment. I don't think any teams have ever had 3 guys get over 1000 receiving yards. You have to figure backs catching the ball, subs, etc. We did have 4 guys have over 10 receiving TD's last year, that never happened before.
Colts had Harrison, Wayne and Stokley go over 1000 in 1 season.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #111
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
With the vastly improved D we seem to have Manning will get the ball a lot more as our D gets off the field sooner. If he can play this year like he did last year he could possibly pass for 6000 yards.
If the defense is as good as it looks on paper, I'd anticipate a lot of shortened games for Peyton and the starting offense leading to a lower overall offensive output. If the team is already up a few TD by the middle or end of the 3rd, there is no point to keep our playmakers on the field. It is kind of like TD in 98. Had he finished several of those games he had 100+ yards by the half or 3rd quarter and the team was already coasting he would have put up the greatest ever statistical season by a RB. If the D is lights out, that means short fields for Peyton and the offense and more scoring opportunities. If games are getting put away earlier Peyton and Co numbers will go down from this past season.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #112
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Do you know English?
Racist
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #113
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
A few teams have had 3. Off of the top of my head I am thinking Washington Redskins, AZ Cardinals, Colts, Chargers. Probably a couple more in there too.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #114
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
We got the difficult 1st down because of Howard Griffith and TD. Anyone else notice how once Howard had to retire the ability to pick up short yardage 1st downs went into the crapper.

That said TD was a special back with unique vision and excellent quickness and the speed to take it to the house. Peterson is now where near the quality back TD was in his prime. I know TD had a ton of touches in 1998 but he also sat out a lot of 4th quarters.

Teams would rather try to get the bigger chunks of yardage passing than grind it out on the ground but if a special back came along they would find a way to ride him just like Shanny rode TD.
Are you ****ing kidding C'mon man
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #115
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
If the defense is as good as it looks on paper, I'd anticipate a lot of shortened games for Peyton and the starting offense leading to a lower overall offensive output. If the team is already up a few TD by the middle or end of the 3rd, there is no point to keep our playmakers on the field. It is kind of like TD in 98. Had he finished several of those games he had 100+ yards by the half or 3rd quarter and the team was already coasting he would have put up the greatest ever statistical season by a RB. If the D is lights out, that means short fields for Peyton and the offense and more scoring opportunities. If games are getting put away earlier Peyton and Co numbers will go down from this past season.
I see your point but keep in mind Manning's mind set to score 7 points every time he has the ball. It's not in him to coast. If we have that good running game that I believe we will have the drives will be more balanced and longer in duration. If it plays out that way we could see better passing numbers even though we are more a balanced offense because we are on the field longer and with our D likely more often as well.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #116
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Well you would have to throw OJ into that conversation as well, since he went over 2000 yards in only 14 games.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #117
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

One other thing; I bet Denver is top 5 in + turnovers this season. We were in the bottom ⅓ last year if I remember correctly.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #118
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Considering welker and JT missed time last yr I think it's possible if all 4 play all 16 games for it to happen. 4 1000 yrd receivers!.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #119
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
when is an NFL season ever so easy the starters get tons of time off? I doubt it. Also I don't remember TD taking it easy those yrs lol. I remember 30 carries every game.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #120
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
when is an NFL season ever so easy the starters get tons of time off? I doubt it. Also I don't remember TD taking it easy those yrs lol. I remember 30 carries every game.
TD did sit out a few 4th quarters toward the end of the 98 season.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #121
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Elway takes the running game seriously, all you have to do is look at the roster and see that Elway has two young RBs drafted in the first three rounds, not to mention Bibbs and Anderson. I'm in a wait-and-see mode as far as the RB situation. I think Ball will step up to the plate and be a solid RB and as for Hillman, this is his make or brake year.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #122
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
TD did sit out a few 4th quarters toward the end of the 98 season.
Not just towards the end, he sat out the equivalent of 2 full games that year.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #123
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Elway takes the running game seriously, all you have to do is look at the roster and see that Elway has two young RBs drafted in the first three rounds, not to mention Bibbs and Anderson. I'm in a wait-and-see mode as far as the RB situation. I think Ball will step up to the plate and be a solid RB and as for Hillman, this is his make or brake year.

I agree 100% and to those that said we should have drafted Lacy he would have had the same learning curve as Ball. It takes a year to learn to play Manning ball for the running back position.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #124
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Not just towards the end, he sat out the equivalent of 2 full games that year.

He sat out 8 full quarters and was healthy and available for them all? That I don't remember.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #125
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I think on paper it doesn't seem like Elway and Co invested that much into getting RB's after Ball. However, with having Manning at the helm and the previous history of finding talent in the lower rounds and UDFA I trust that Elway knows what he's doing.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote