The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #76
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,687

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Poor expression used. We could move the ball and get first downs when we needed to. We certainly were not as successful with as we were in 96-98 when we could dictate the run and get the difficult first down. Even with the ZBS
We got the difficult 1st down because of Howard Griffith and TD. Anyone else notice how once Howard had to retire the ability to pick up short yardage 1st downs went into the crapper.

That said TD was a special back with unique vision and excellent quickness and the speed to take it to the house. Peterson is now where near the quality back TD was in his prime. I know TD had a ton of touches in 1998 but he also sat out a lot of 4th quarters.

Teams would rather try to get the bigger chunks of yardage passing than grind it out on the ground but if a special back came along they would find a way to ride him just like Shanny rode TD.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #77
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
I have a very different opinion of Ronnie Hillman than maybe a lot of Broncos Country. When he was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, I felt that he was a bit of a reach. I believed he could have been had later.

But Elway pulled the trigger and on he came to Denver. As a rookie, he did an okay job as the 3rd running back on the depth chart. He saw 212 snaps. With those opportunities, he carried the ball 85 times, for 330 yards and 1 TD. He averaged a decent 3.9 YPC. That lonely TD came at the expense of Defensive Rookie of the Year, Luke Kuechly, I might add.

Going into 2013 training camp, it was unclear where Hillman would fit in. Following an injury to Willis McGahee, Knowshon Moreno had been plugged into the starting lineup down the stretch the previous season and he played lights out, helping the Broncos’ offense to reach new heights. His versatility improved the offense in a big way. Moreno suffered an injury in the Divisional Round playoff loss to Baltimore and his timetable to return to training camp was unclear.

Compounding the issue was the fact that the Broncos had drafted Montee Ball in the 2nd round just a couple of months before camp. 2nd round draft picks come with pretty hefty expectations. So you had an injured veteran incumbent in Moreno and a shiny new draft pick in Ball. Where would Hillman fit in?

Surprisingly, Hillman ran with the 1st team all throughout camp and the preseason. His performace at the time was garnering rave reviews, both from fans and media. Everyone was seriously thinking he was going to be the starter in 2013. However, at the time, I was trying to cool everyone’s jets on that expectation because I knew that once the live bullets were flying, Moreno would be the primary back with the 1st team.

However, Hillman was Moreno’s backup. From week 1 through week 7, Hillman saw a total of 128 snaps, which isn’t bad for a player coming off the bench. Hillman’s fate took a turn for the worse when he fumbled on the goal line vs the Indianpolis Colts in week 7 that put the kybosh on a Broncos comeback victory. I don’t care who you are. If you fumble on the goal line, in the clutch, you’re going to feel the heat and likely lose some playing time. And that’s exactly what happened. Ball was plugged in as the backup and Hillman didn’t see the field again until week 16.

Hillman’s problem was that he didn’t take his demotion like a man. Like a pro. He was pouty and he was in denial. Offensive Coordinator, Adam Gase, spoke to that issue via the Denver Post:

“We’ve talked to him, (running backs coach) Eric (Studesville) and myself, as far as: ‘Hey, this is a new start to the year. Whatever happened in the past, you’ve got to build off it. We’ve just got to start over.’”

Starting over isn’t easy. But I think Hillman can do it. He is a very talented runner who now has 2 full seasons of NFL experience under his belt. He has a similar skill set as Darren Sproles. Maybe not as good of a receiver, but his body type and running style are very similar. Young runners often struggle to acclimate to the speed of the NFL game. It was no different for Hillman. And now he has to get his confidence back. I don’t expect Hillman to be a training camp casualty. Other than Montee Ball, Hillman is the only running back the Broncos have who has seen any meaningful NFL snaps. If something happens to Ball, the team will want to have a viable backup that has some experience.

Of course, C.J. Anderson, a 2nd year UDFA out of Cal, is going to be breathing down Hillman’s neck for the #2 RB, as will Brennan Clay and Kapri Bibbs.

Bibbs only played one year in Division I football in college with Colorado State. But in that one year, he led the nation with 31 TDs. He’s a real threat to make the final 53. He’s also a very talented runner. He received some very positive reviews during OTAs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncos carry 4 RBs. Ball, Hillman, Anderson and Bibbs
,
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #78
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,890
Default

I agree that Ball stepping up is the biggest question mark for the offense.

I think Sanders will just slide right in and start making big plays. I mean big plays I think people don't realize that those plays where Decker gets caught, Sanders takes to the house. He's a full 10th of a second faster in the 40, which is a lot.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #79
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,890
Default

You do see teams like the hawks constantly investing in RBs even though they have a top runner. It's just smart to do.

Hopefully Elway will find a rent a vet for some insurance when FA hit the street
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #80
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,436

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Running backs don't matter. Exhibit A: Adrian Peterson. Exibit B: Chris Johnson. They can be a nice compliment, but running backs are about as important as kick returners. They aren't going to be the reason your team wins the Super Bowl.
And as is blatantly apparent, Peyton Manning isn't the reason you win the Super Bowl.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #81
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 3,923

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
And as is blatantly apparent, Peyton Manning isn't the reason you win the Super Bowl.
in the same token he isn't the reason you lose a Super Bowl either..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #82
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
in the same token he isn't the reason you lose a Super Bowl either..


But he is the reason you get to the Super Bowl.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #83
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 3,923

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
But he is the reason you get to the Super Bowl.
ABSOLUTELY
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #84
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 467

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Denver's RB's outperformed their opponents' in the Super Bowl last year...

Also, I like how people keep saying what the team needs to improve to be SB-caliber. Um, they made the Super Bowl rather easily last year. With half the team on IR. Did the Seahawks have a higher margin of victory all year? If not, then either the Broncos are a college team whose opponents sympathetically let set records and send their teams home in the playoffs, or the Super Bowl was more indicative of the volatile nature of football than an exposure of a team that blew out the rest of the league.

What does this team need to do to win it all? Don't snap the ball over the QB's head. Either that or win the coin toss. Seriously. Either of those things happen and the Broncos most likely win that game. It comes down to whether you choose to look at 18 games of evidence or 9 minutes of football that saw a team down 15-0 after a hugely embarassing first play in front of a raucous crowd cheering against them in the game with the most unique outside circumstances of the year.

The Broncos were the best team in the league on February 2nd this year. Then they choked. If the Seahawks and Broncos had traded all their players before the game Seattle still would have won.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #85
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
What does this team need to do to win it all? Don't snap the ball over the QB's head. Either that or win the coin toss. Seriously. Either of those things happen and the Broncos most likely win that game.
this is the biggest homer take I've ever read regarding anything ever
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 AM   #86
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Running backs don't matter. Exhibit A: Adrian Peterson. Exibit B: Chris Johnson. They can be a nice compliment, but running backs are about as important as kick returners. They aren't going to be the reason your team wins the Super Bowl.
This. The OP is obviously trolling, but what others have said regarding concern over the RB situation seems to disregard how much the need for RBs has declined over the last 10 years.

There really aren't any successful teams in the league that use the running game as a featured weapon. Those teams that rely on the running game feature a great defense and employ the running game because they don't need points.

Comparing the current RB stable to the 90s and early 00s is a complete waste of time.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #87
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
this is the biggest homer take I've ever read regarding anything ever
I hear you, yes, definitely.

However, I've been nursing my own theory about the first-play safety: We know Peyton is tense in big games (if we're honest we do), he's already gripping on his way outta the tunnel. I'm not saying we necessarily would have won had the safety not happened, but I believe things would have unfolded differently. Slower.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #88
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,485

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
To win a superbowl....

Elway better bring in a vet after cuts or do something, right now if this team rolls with Ball, CJ, and Ronnie Bustillman then this team and mannings neck are in big big trouble

Ball can learn alot, but unfortunately he has alot to learn about crunch time and big 3rd downs. His durability is unproven in the NFL. Shame on the front office thinking "high miles ball" is a proven rock toter in the NFL, this isn't the Big 10....

CJ Anderson has no clue what to do on passing downs and blitz pickup...


Ronnie Bustillman, wow, what a soft, weak runner, wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut. Gase is on record as a Non Fan....

You better get more legs Elway.....Not this thread in Mid October.

Homers........
I disagree
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #89
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine
 
Kevin8Nine's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 606

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Last year we talked about how pissed everyone was that McGahee was let go. Look how that turned out. I guess the broncos coaches and administration knows the players better than we do.
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #90
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
That said TD was a special back with unique vision and excellent quickness and the speed to take it to the house. Peterson is now where near the quality back TD was in his prime.
You mean Peterson now, the 29-year old with a reconstructed knee, right?
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #91
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,368

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
You mean Peterson now, the 29-year old with a reconstructed knee, right?
Yeah TD is in my top 3 favorite players of all-time and was my idol when I sucked at playing running back (needed to stick to defense ), but Peterson really is better in almost every single way.

Ironically, I think TD was a lot better at how he took hits at angles while Peterson is a heads-up, more violent rusher, yet TD was unfortunately the one with the shortened career
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #92
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Two weeks from everywhere
Posts: 1,207

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

I think the OP is right about the lack of depth, but way off about the quality of Ball as a starter. He was a better runner than Knowshon after the New England game. He needs to focus on only two things, ball security and playbook knowledge.

If we need to rely on a veteran RB, brought in during training camp, then the running game won't be fully integrated into the offense anyhow. I think it's Ball or bust, but perhaps CJ Anderson can prove his quality as well. I'm not sold on Hillman as anything other than a change of pace back with questionable decision making.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #93
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,261

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I agree that Ball stepping up is the biggest question mark for the offense.

I think Sanders will just slide right in and start making big plays. I mean big plays I think people don't realize that those plays where Decker gets caught, Sanders takes to the house. He's a full 10th of a second faster in the 40, which is a lot.
They each have their strengths. Decker may have been slower but he was alot bigger. Would love to still h ave Decker here but he was going to get way too much money for a 2nd WR. I like where we are at with WR. We have a total top 5 stud in DT as our #1. Sanders can fill in for the #2 for now, he's lagit, he's not only straight line fast, he's got those shifty quicks too, and a good set of hands. He's ideal to move to the slot once we let Welker go next year. Hopefully Latimer improves and becomes that lagit #2. We'll be set with one of the top 3 WR groups in the NFL, if not the best.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #94
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Money to Burn WOOOO®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Somebody get Ricky Watters on the phone quick
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #95
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Money to Burn WOOOO®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Hillman sucks btw
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #96
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Hillman sucks btw

Gotta save this one
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #97
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Money to Burn WOOOO®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

And Elway sucks at drafting RBs he passed on Eddie Lacey for Ball that's a huge **** up
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #98
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine
 
Kevin8Nine's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 606

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Hillman sucks btw

your mom sucks
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #99
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Money to Burn WOOOO®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
your mom sucks
Umm yeah how you think I got here dumbass
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #100
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,099

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah TD is in my top 3 favorite players of all-time and was my idol when I sucked at playing running back (needed to stick to defense ), but Peterson really is better in almost every single way.

Ironically, I think TD was a lot better at how he took hits at angles while Peterson is a heads-up, more violent rusher, yet TD was unfortunately the one with the shortened career
Freakin' Griese
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Denver Broncos