The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I think the OP has a point, outside of Ball -- everyone is questionable. Hillman, Anderson and the rest of the UDFA's do not have much experience. As BPC said, you can be down to those guys in a hurry.

There isn't much in FA right now: Michael Bush, Felix Jones.

I would like to see what Jones can do here, since he is a quality receiver out of the backfield. Not sure if he is hurt or what, but I would not mind having him come in to compete.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #27
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

If you are looking for an insurance policy why not sign someone that at least knows the system and is proven to be ale to at the least protect Manning like Willis McGahee
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #28
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bring in the dude on the right. Cell phone stores can produce RBs.
Attached Images

Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #29
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Is that Von Miller?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #30
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Crack it's a helluva drug
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If you are looking for an insurance policy why not sign someone that at least knows the system and is proven to be ale to at the least protect Manning like Willis McGahee
His time is over.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #32
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
His time is over.
Seems likely but we don't know that for sure.

But if we did get that desperate I bet he will be available anytime during the season we need him.

Actually the more I think about it we can probably do better with someone else.

Last edited by baja; 07-03-2014 at 08:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
CEH
Ring of Famer

Considering that Seattle base their entire defense on defending the first 15 yards because they were not afraid of Denver's running game and knew the WR cold not get deep if's a concern but I think Elway pulls a Willis Magahee type out of his ass come TC time and has a very productive year
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #34
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
I think the OP has a point, outside of Ball -- everyone is questionable. Hillman, Anderson and the rest of the UDFA's do not have much experience. As BPC said, you can be down to those guys in a hurry.

I would like to see what Jones can do here, since he is a quality receiver out of the backfield. Not sure if he is hurt or what, but I would not mind having him come in to compete.
Right, the question is, who would you bring in?

If Ball goes down, we may be in trouble at the spot. However, a majority of the other teams have the same issue if their best, most proven RB gets injured. Also, the RB spot is not valued as much as it once was in the NFL. Look at the Packers 2010 Super Bowl year. They lost Ryan Grant and had a no-name as their primary RB to get a whopping 700 yards that season.

If your offense has the pieces in place, then great RB depth isn't always necessary, so long as you can move the ball when you need to. Yes, it would be great to ensure that we can run the ball, but the question is can Gase & Co. make things happen even without Ball? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell, but its clear the team thinks its ok with what it has or it would have spent more time, effort and money trying to get another RB. Maybe they still will.

I think the restructuring of the O-line is going to help immensely with the running game. But, I am a homer.

Haters...

Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #35
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Considering that Seattle base their entire defense on defending the first 15 yards because they were not afraid of Denver's running game and knew the WR cold not get deep if's a concern but I think Elway pulls a Willis Magahee type out of his ass come TC time and has a very productive year
This doesn't even make sense.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really think Ball will eat up the bulk of the carries, rather than a committee splitting evenly. Like some have pointed out, the later an RB comes in, the harder it is for him to learn the Manningism's of the offense. The fact their attention so far to the RB spot this offseason has been minimal to none, shows me they got complete faith Ball can carry the load.

Of course we always seem to get hit with injuries to positions we debate on(ie safety, Oline, CB, MLB)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #37
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Seems likely but we don't know that for sure.

But if we did get that desperate I bet he will be available anytime during the season we need him.

Actually the more I think about it we can probably do better with someone else.
Right. If we need an RB during the season, there will likely be someone we can bring in. Older RBs are just not valued and are just not being employed much anymore in the NFL.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #38
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:

Well, Ball has less experience than they do from a league standpoint. You are pretty critical of the RB situation here though. I think what scares people, including myself, is we don't really know much about any of them outside of Ball and Hillman and even they are growing as players.

I mean we can play the what if game all day with injuries, what if PFM goes down, Tom Brady, etc. Yes, running back is a much more volatile position but seriously. Backups are backups for a reason.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #39
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Is anyone else just not worried about this? Maybe my comfort is misguided, i just think we'll be fine.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #40
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Is anyone else just not worried about this? Maybe my comfort is misguided, i just think we'll be fine.
I am with you, I am not worried at all. But then again maybe that one season where we were looking at mall kiosks for running backs set my expectations for me.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #41
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Well, Ball has less experience than they do from a league standpoint. You are pretty critical of the RB situation here though. I think what scares people, including myself, is we don't really know much about any of them outside of Ball and Hillman and even they are growing as players.

I mean we can play the what if game all day with injuries, what if PFM goes down, Tom Brady, etc. Yes, running back is a much more volatile position but seriously. Backups are backups for a reason.
I am critical. I don't think it is wise for us to be relying on Hillman and UDFA's after Ball. It would have been nice to get a veteran behind him. I was hoping for Rashad Jennings. I do not trust their abilities to be pass protectors or even quality replacements in the event that he does go down. At any case, it isn't about him going down, it is about having another viable options behind him and I do not feel very good about our back-ups to #28. Just doesn't seem like a championship caliber group. Our passing attack will be epic, but when Ball needs to be spelled, how good do you feel about CJ Anderson, Ronnie Hillman, Kapri Bipps and the OU and Duke kid to get that crucial 3rd and 2 or what not? Confident? Not me.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #42
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Give Ball a chance.

He came on strong and flourishes when he is THE guy.

He will delivery.

Bank that.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #43
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I get what you are saying and it's fair but I just don't think it's as big of an issue personally. Sure it would be nice to have a vet insurance policy but after Forte, who does Chicago have? After AP who does Minny have? Charles, who the hell is his backup for that matter?

Hell, tell me who Barry Sanders backup was?

I agree I think we need to make sure we have a serviceable backup...but I just don't get the absolute hate for what we have behind Ball right now. Especially given how this offense is shaped right now. Now I will give you this, once PFM is not here it's a bigger concern.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #44
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

More worried about Manning continuing to play at a high level than I am about running back.

and I'm not that worried about that, not yet anyway.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #45
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Vikes drafted McKinnon, not sure about Chicago or KC. Not worried about other teams.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The OP's ridiculous tone aside, he has a point. The seven RB's on the roster have a combined 4 years experience between them, and all four of those are shared among CJ Anderson, Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman. Two have starting experience, though you couldn't make a whole season's worth even if you combined Ball and Hillman's starts. RB is a young man's position, but when Hillman is your "verteran" it suddenly doesn't seem too crazy to consider bringing a veteran in to help mentor the younger guys, even if it's just for camp.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

It is not like KM would have been around to help protect Manning either. He has knee issues in Miami and probably has lost his starting job there.

I like Ball and want to see more of Anderson. I think Elway is going to give Hillman one more chance, I don't know why, if the kid hasn't gotten the feel for the game by the end of PS he should be cut, maybe it is because he is so young that John wants to give him one more chance.

I am more worried about depth than quality. If Ball goes down then we are going to have to put a TE back there to block on 3rd downs.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #48
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The OP is probably right but under the salary cap, you gotta have weak spots somewhere.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #49
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
The OP is probably right but under the salary cap, you gotta have weak spots somewhere.
We've still got room to sign a veteran RB. They're probably waiting for cuts.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #50
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We've still got room to sign a veteran RB. They're probably waiting for cuts.
RBs are to be picked up from log jammed teams at RB. Only concern I would have is how fast they'd be able to learn the Manningism's.