The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious
Default The RUNNING BACK Situation NOT GOOD ENOUGH

To win a superbowl....

Elway better bring in a vet after cuts or do something, right now if this team rolls with Ball, CJ, and Ronnie Bustillman then this team and mannings neck are in big big trouble

Ball can learn alot, but unfortunately he has alot to learn about crunch time and big 3rd downs. His durability is unproven in the NFL. Shame on the front office thinking "high miles ball" is a proven rock toter in the NFL, this isn't the Big 10....

CJ Anderson has no clue what to do on passing downs and blitz pickup...

Ronnie Bustillman, wow, what a soft, weak runner, wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut. Gase is on record as a Non Fan....

You better get more legs Elway.....Not this thread in Mid October.

Homers........

Last edited by wolf754life; 07-03-2014 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: ommission
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
To win a superbowl....

Elway better bring in a vet after cuts or do something, right now if this team rolls with Ball, CJ, and Ronnie Bustillman then this team and mannings neck are in big big trouble

Ball can learn alot, but unfortunately he has alot to learn about crunch time and big 3rd downs. His durability is unproven in the NFL. Shame on the front office thinking "high miles ball" is a proven rock toter in the NFL, this isn't the Big 10....

Ronnie Bustillman, wow, what a soft, weak runner, wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut. Gase is on record as a Non Fan....

Homers........
sounds like something I would get upset about and post a rant on a internet message board about
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

Ball should be fine. The problem last year isn't that we didn't have the players to run the ball. We just opted to not do so. Give our RBs the reps, and they will be fine imo.

There is no reason that we need to pass as much as we did last year. We only did it because we could. Which wasn't very smart.. we need to dedicate more to the running game. Another player won't make us magically better at RB. A smarter gameplan with more dedication to running the ball will do that. =)
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
To win a superbowl....

Homers........
Do you know English?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

This is fair, Ball still has to prove he can do it... talent is one thing but many with talent haven't been able to do it consistently... Hillman sucks, he's a write off... Gerald Wilhite even thinks he's undersized and slow...

Maybe an unheralded guy can step up...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

The Broncos issues over the last I dunno how many years.. is the lack of dedication to a single RB, and the running game in general. Give Ball the chance - he could be the last piece we need to be amazing. RB by committee, a strong commitment to passing.. when running the game out works better.. they just need to change their mindset.

PFM won't mind.. pressure off him would be great. It's basically what killed us in the SB. When you are one dimensional, it's a heck of a lot easier to gameplan against you.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

You want a vet to be insurance or you think a vet can take Ball's job? I have no problem as a back up especially if Ball gets injured. I do think Ball will be considered a very good starting RB.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Hopefully a vet gets cut and we pick them up. I have faith that ball will step up but things happen and you can be on your 2nd / 3rd string in a hurry. It appears to be the only real weakness this team have besides MLB.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

So many people forget running the ball isn't just only about the RB's. As stated, it's a commitment to run more, get more physical. And your line has to block better. Yes, it's true, we don't have AP on our team but neither do 31 other teams. I'm fine with who we have to start out with. We have a few new backs from college so who knows. Nobody thought TD was anything special this time of year in his rookie season. I honestly think the better running teams don't necessarily have better RB's then we do, they just have better blocking in the run game.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #10
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
To win a superbowl....

Homers........
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

If the current stable of RB's is what we have, than Denver rolls with it. There is clearly a youth movement at the position. If Denver feels they can run with them, than that is it. Who is out there on the scrap heap? And I expect some season ending injuries coming depleting the position rather than a vet RB getting cut who would actually help this team.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #12
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Anderson looked good in his one preseason game. Thats enough to convince me
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
To win a superbowl....

Homers........
Can we say over reaction
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
To win a superbowl....

Homers........
Where did Elway go wrong, what would have done for the RB position? I mean with all the biatching you got a solution right?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

THANK you!

There can be little doubt this is the least-proven, least experienced RB group we've ever gone to camp with. By at least one-third, maybe half. Lemme go out on a limb: This group has just 60% as many carries as the group with the 2nd fewest ever. Since the merger, anyway.

Slowest, too ... even with Hillman.

I GET it, they LIKE BALL. Fine. But don't bet the farm his 119 carries makes him ready for a full load, nor that his fumbleitis is gone forever.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
So many people forget running the ball isn't just only about the RB's. As stated, it's a commitment to run more, get more physical. And your line has to block better. Yes, it's true, we don't have AP on our team but neither do 31 other teams. I'm fine with who we have to start out with. We have a few new backs from college so who knows. Nobody thought TD was anything special this time of year in his rookie season. I honestly think the better running teams don't necessarily have better RB's then we do, they just have better blocking in the run game.
There is some real sanity here in your post as compared to the OP. It just isn't where you stack up statistically. Can you run the ball successfully, with results, when you HAVE to.

From 2000 to 2007, Denver was never out of the top 10 in rushing, it didn't translate into real playoff success except for 2005. When then jumped back to No. 1 in 2011 it was because we couldn't do much of anything else. Figures lie and liars figure. When you have a QB that has the skill set of a PM, then your total rushing yards will drop. In recent years, the real dropoff in the run game is getting the critical yards at the right time of the game. My goodness, if we had a running game that could ice a game, we wouldn't have been talking about how Rahim or Champ had misplays in the Raven playoff loss.

As you said, give me an offensive line that can move the pile when they have to and we will be successful with the likes of Olandis Gary, Rueben Droughns and Tatum Bell (or even Montee Ball)
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

There was a recent article on NFL.com regarding Ball's experience as a rookie. He said the hardest part was picking up on Manning's audibles and adjusting on the fly with protections. Bringing in a vet is definitely an option, but the learning curve operating with Manning makes it difficult for any RB to make a dramatic immediate impact.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I agree that the current rb stable is un-impressive and for the cost of one our backup crap tes we could have had solid depth at a key position. Giant gap and fail IMO.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
There is some real sanity here in your post as compared to the OP. It just isn't where you stack up statistically. Can you run the ball successfully, with results, when you HAVE to.

From 2000 to 2007, Denver was never out of the top 10 in rushing, it didn't translate into real playoff success except for 2005. When then jumped back to No. 1 in 2011 it was because we couldn't do much of anything else. Figures lie and liars figure. When you have a QB that has the skill set of a PM, then your total rushing yards will drop. In recent years, the real dropoff in the run game is getting the critical yards at the right time of the game. My goodness, if we had a running game that could ice a game, we wouldn't have been talking about how Rahim or Champ had misplays in the Raven playoff loss.

As you said, give me an offensive line that can move the pile when they have to and we will be successful with the likes of Olandis Gary, Rueben Droughns and Tatum Bell (or even Montee Ball)

So you are saying the Broncos had O lines that could "move the pile" in 2000 - 2007? Shanahan ran a zone blocking line not a move the pile type O line.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #20
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

herpy derp
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #21
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

I'm confident that Ball will have a lot of success this season. Our line is going to be one of the best we've seen in a very long time. Ball has enough experience to build on, and he has some impressive vision.

Since the risk for injuries at RB tends to be a little higher, I would like to see us pick up another RB with some significant tread left on the tires. I think we'd be able to get a pretty good deal on one too. I worry about Hillman's ball security & pass protection and Anderson's understanding of the offense. Who knows though...maybe Anderson will understand the offense much better than some vet RB we bring in 3 weeks before preseason.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #22
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
I'm confident that Ball will have a lot of success this season. Our line is going to be one of the best we've seen in a very long time. Ball has enough experience to build on, and he has some impressive vision.

Since the risk for injuries at RB tends to be a little higher, I would like to see us pick up another RB with some significant tread left on the tires. I think we'd be able to get a pretty good deal on one too. I worry about Hillman's ball security & pass protection and Anderson's understanding of the offense. Who knows though...maybe Anderson will understand the offense much better than some vet RB we bring in 3 weeks before preseason.
We should by now be confident Elway will not have a bare cupboard if Ball goes down.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #23
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

Ball is the real deal and......our massive line is the real deal. Our pass first offense will force opposing defenses to choose. Our running game will be awesome..........I hope. CJ and Hillman are absolutely a weak link: but, they will suffice. WTF does " suffice" mean.....?
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
We should by now be confident Elway will not have a bare cupboard if Ball goes down.
Excellent point.

This kind of reminds me of the situation with C last year except our starting C did go down. We brought in Lilja for a look and then cut him & went w/ Ramirez as the starter.

I know I felt like ManRam wasn't ready for the starting job, and I was concerned. Turns out, he's a very solid starter.

I think the coaching staff probably has similar confidence in Hillman & Anderson if they don't end up signing a vet. Fumbling issues and learning the system are things that can be corrected/developed via the offseason.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Trollin' Thursday!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote