The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I am going expect ALOT more from D in 2014. As well as Fox Del rio and Gase no more excuses men.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #27
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Yup. I don't care how good the defense is, or could have been last year. Our O did absolutely nothing in the biggest game of the year, how could an improved D help that?
Sure, you could argue better field position, but the way they played, even if we had the ball on the 50 we'd still go 3 and out more often than not.
the D could have helped by getting a stop somewhere, and forcing a punt in the first half. The D could have come up with a turnover somewhere.

possession wise, our D gave up the following:

9 play, 51 yard drive for a FG (1-2 on 3rd down)
13 play, 58 yard drive for a FG (3-4 on 3rd down)
7 play 37 yard drive for TD (1-1 on 3rd down)
4 play, 11 yard drive, punt (0-1 on 3rd down)
6 play, 58 yard drive for TD (1-1 on 3rd down)
5 play, 48 yard drive for TD (1-1 on 3rd down)

before Sattle took their foot off of the gas. during this run, Seattle was 7-10 on 3rd downs. one of these failed 3rd down attempts was 17 yards to go after a holding call on Okung. The other two failed 3rd downs resulted in FG's.

Our D never really got a stop. They got the Seahawks to bog down in the red-zone a couple times and they had holding called against them - that's pretty much all they did all game. This is the type of performance I was used to seeing back in 2008 - reminiscent of the Slowik era.

I'm not trying to pin the loss on the D at all, just sayin that when the O struggled, the D wasn't capable of pulling their weight. At all.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
the D could have helped by getting a stop somewhere, and forcing a punt in the first half. The D could have come up with a turnover somewhere.
Yup. O deserves more blame IMO, but anyone excusing the D is misremembering what happened in that game. D didn't get it done, either.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #29
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

**** the defense. It was solid. It was the offense that got b**** slapped senseless.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #30
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
**** the defense. It was solid. It was the offense that got b**** slapped senseless.
solid in all 43 points that the Seattle scored on us.. does beat the 8 that the offense scored... we can only go up from here..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #31
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
The banged up Defense help that embrassment of a Manning led offense stay in the game, it could have been completely out of hand in the first quarter.

Its good they got deeper, it was needed- but I'd hardly say they lacked mental toughness in the SB. It was called fighting for ones life, alot.
While true, they forced 0 punts, 0 turnovers, got 0 QB hits/0 sacks.

They did keep them in the game but it's overplayed how the defense played vs Seattle, hint it wasnt that great sans the run-D.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #32
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
solid in all 43 points that the Seattle scored on us.. does beat the 8 that the offense scored... we can only go up from here..
It was a ugly final score but if we had made it closer at the half it could have been a different game. The defense was down multiple starters so their issues were somewhat expected. The offense...
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #33
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Pretty sure thats a comment directed at people saying they're going for it now and dont care about the future.

Salary cap stuff.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
The banged up Defense help that embrassment of a Manning led offense stay in the game, it could have been completely out of hand in the first quarter.

Its good they got deeper, it was needed- but I'd hardly say they lacked mental toughness in the SB. It was called fighting for ones life, alot.
They lacked every kind of toughness there is. Who had the harder side of the Seahawks to play? If you want to rank blame for that game, 1. Fox 2. Defense 3. Offense

I truly hope they are deeper....and tougher. Hope Von is the 2011, 2012 Von, hope the DL is as meaty as last year and the new acquisitions pan out.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Read above, the defense was far from solid.

Seattle did anything they wanted on offense.

Obviously half the D on IR didnt help things but the defense didnt play as good as some seem to think.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #36
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
It was a ugly final score but if we had made it closer at the half it could have been a different game. The defense was down multiple starters so their issues were somewhat expected. The offense...
your right..I was hoping ..we just couldn't get it together...
Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #37
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Absolutely no one is saying the defense didn't give up drives and couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. But then again, this wasn't billed as the BEST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

What the D did do, was hold their offense out of the end zone long enough for the best ever offense to get their **** together and put a ****ing drive together. The best offense in the history of the NFL couldn't do that.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #38
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
actually, the D only allowed 27 (16 points were scored by Seattles defense and special teams).

27 isn't very good - extrapolated over the course of the season, that would have been the 26th rated defense.

But hey, it's not 43
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

Our offense just needs to get their running game going. There is absolutely no need to be the most prolific offense ever. Fun to watch, but one-dimensional - and no matter how good that dimension is, will be taken advantage of by good teams when it matters. Manning was under constant pressure. I thought the first play of the SB should have been a running play. I groaned when we passed.. and of course, about cried when they scored almost instantly.

Defense needed shoring up badly. They were missing nasty. Skill.. sure. Nasty? Not really. Seattle wasn't even a little afraid of our defense.

And there were injuries. That absolutely had something to do with it. Injuries, lack of running game, tame defense. Fix that.. much better team. =)
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #40
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The D is definitely better. Demarcus Ware steps the D up quite a bit, getting some starters healthy, some nice additions on paper with TJ Ward and Talib (we'll see how they integrate). The D wasn't the problem in SB48, the problem was the offense couldn't overcome a 2-point deficit, didn't score a point until the 3rd quarter.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
The banged up Defense help that embrassment of a Manning led offense stay in the game
Seattle was 7/12 on 3rd down
the d forced 1 punt and 0 turn overs

the banged-up defense didn't help much at all
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #42
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
actually, the D only allowed 27 (16 points were scored by Seattles defense and special teams).

27 isn't very good - extrapolated over the course of the season, that would have been the 26th rated defense.

But hey, it's not 43
true..
Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #43
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Another piece or talk on "best on paper". Best coaches break those type teams and win on the field. We have a solid defense and there should be no excuse to lose a Super Bowl. Too many weapons to not do so.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #44
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Absolutely no one is saying the defense didn't give up drives and couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. But then again, this wasn't billed as the BEST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.
Nope. But they made a mediocre Seattle offense look like one of the best ever.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a total team failure.

You fix what you can and go from there.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #45
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Defense sucked
Offense sucked
John Fox sucked
Defense was less awful than the other two I guess

So theres that...
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #46
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
In shorts and on paper I am not going to get overly excited with reports on how great the D looks. I can't take anything even a little serious until pads come on.
We'll know alot more about this team after the halfway mark when we've played almost all the NFC West games.

Let's just hope and pray we can avoid the PLAGUE of ****ing injuries this year. I don't give a damn what anybody says, you take ANY 7 starters from Seattle off the field and give us a fully healthy roster (like Seattle had) and that game has a very different outcome. PERIOD !!!!!!!!
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #47
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
You can't be the BEST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL when that honor was saved for the 2013 KC Chiefs.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #48
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

our running game is a huge reason we struggled last year....and we havent improved the position this year....hillman is worthless people just think fast equals good and im sorry the guy is 150lbs wet.....cj hasnt done anything outside of practice and until he does ill assume theres a reason for that....ball doesnt have the game breaking vision yet and no way to know if he ever will.....if we dont drastically improve running the ball we dont stand a chance to win the SB this year.....all that being said....our defense is gonna be epic this year.
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #49
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Regardless of who you wanna blame, the bottom line is this team has tried to make improvements to prevent another SB pratfall. Hopefully they have.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #50
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
Our offense just needs to get their running game going. There is absolutely no need to be the most prolific offense ever. Fun to watch, but one-dimensional - and no matter how good that dimension is, will be taken advantage of by good teams when it matters. Manning was under constant pressure. I thought the first play of the SB should have been a running play. I groaned when we passed.. and of course, about cried when they scored almost instantly.

Defense needed shoring up badly. They were missing nasty. Skill.. sure. Nasty? Not really. Seattle wasn't even a little afraid of our defense.

And there were injuries. That absolutely had something to do with it. Injuries, lack of running game, tame defense. Fix that.. much better team. =)
Exactly, what did we think they thought we were going to do JOHN FOX? Pass of course. That's why they tore up our OL trying to get to Manning. I don't even think they cared about getting to Manning, just rattle him. Like Brady, he struggles when rattled and that's all they needed to do. But our offense had played very well all year. Our defense had not. Seattle had no reason to fear our defense.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote