The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Lolz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...lections,_2010

Popular vote 44,827,441[5] Republican 38,980,192[5] Democrat

For comparison's sake, Republican's vote margin was 2-3 points higher than Obama's "landslide" in '12.
The incumbent party, throughout electoral history has almost always lost seats in a midterm election. What you show here doesn't really prove anything nor dismiss Ro's assertion that gerrymandering of districts has greatly helped the Republicans keep many districts.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The incumbent party, throughout electoral history has almost always lost seats in a midterm election. What you show here doesn't really prove anything nor dismiss Ro's assertion that gerrymandering of districts has greatly helped the Republicans keep many districts.
Sure, Gerrymandering helps. It helps Democrats in left-leaning states as well. Democrats used to love it themselves up until they lost a majority of state legislatures and in most cases, the keys to the drivers' seat in redistricting.

Regardless, you can't blame Gerrymandering for Republicans having a 6-point vote margin in the election. In every other case, that's known as "Winning the Election"

As for it just being midterms... meh. 2006 was the same deal. As soon as we see Pelosi send GW flowers with an apology for stuff like

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...ticle-1.285989

Then we'll know there's something unusual going on here.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #28
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hasn't GWB outpaced him by quite a bit on EO's?
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Sure, Gerrymandering helps. It helps Democrats in left-leaning states as well. Democrats used to love it themselves up until they lost a majority of state legislatures and in most cases, the keys to the drivers' seat in redistricting.
Not even close to the extent that the R's have -- remember DeLay in 2003? Great breakdown on that here, so your general response doesn't fly.

On Gerrymandering: 1, 2

Regardless, you can't blame Gerrymandering for Republicans having a 6-point vote margin in the election. In every other case, that's known as "Winning the Election"[/QUOTE]

Wasn't blaming, stating that it helped contribute to the margin -- which it certainly did. Not that it was every out of the ordinary for the incumbent party to lose seats in the midterms. Not really a quality comparison because there are quite a few fundamental differences between midterms and general election years.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #30
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Hasn't GWB outpaced him by quite a bit on EO's?
I'm not sure that counting EO's is all that productive. Clinton had far more than either. What really matters is what they say.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Cut is trying to talk about election dynamics. This has got to be interesting. Hope he brought the whole crayon box for this one.
didn't all the righties around here predict a Romney win as well? Taco I think you were one.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #32
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Not even close to the extent that the R's have -- remember DeLay in 2003? Great breakdown on that here, so your general response doesn't fly.

Regardless, you can't blame Gerrymandering for Republicans having a 6-point vote margin in the election. In every other case, that's known as "Winning the Election"
Wasn't blaming, stating that it helped contribute to the margin -- which it certainly did. Not that it was every out of the ordinary for the incumbent party to lose seats in the midterms. Not really a quality comparison because there are quite a few fundamental differences between midterms and general election years.[/QUOTE]

This guy's (who?) arguing with Nate Silver on a topic, and it looks to me like he's got an agenda.

[img]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arizona_Congressional_Districts,_113th_Congre ss.tif

For instance, he conveniently throws out both of these states (which were both +D) because one (Arizona) was ostensibly drawn up "Independently" as if there were such a thing. It seems that Arizona Republicans were anything but happy about it. And Texas, we just throw out I guess because there was a lawsuit involved. So we just won't count it. Even if by a plain look at the map, it's obviously Gerrymandered for some result.

I think I'll stick with what Silver has to say until I see something without methodology appearing geared towards a result.

Take a look at just about any liberal state in the country. You'll see gerrymandered maps everywhere. You could maybe argue that maybe Republicans have been more effective at it. But it's not for Democrats' lack of trying.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Quote:
Wasn't blaming, stating that it helped contribute to the margin -- which it certainly did. Not that it was every out of the ordinary for the incumbent party to lose seats in the midterms. Not really a quality comparison because there are quite a few fundamental differences between midterms and general election years.
This guy's (who?) arguing with Nate Silver on a topic, and it looks to me like he's got an agenda.

For instance, he conveniently throws out both of these states (which were both +D) because one (Arizona) was ostensibly drawn up "Independently" as if there were such a thing. It seems that Arizona Republicans were anything but happy about it. And Texas, we just throw out I guess because there was a lawsuit involved. So we just won't count it. Even if by a plain look at the map, it's obviously Gerrymandered for some result.

I think I'll stick with what Silver has to say until I see something without methodology appearing geared towards a result.

Take a look at just about any liberal state in the country. You'll see gerrymandered maps everywhere. You could maybe argue that Republicans have been more effective at it. But it's not for Democrats' lack of trying.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 06-26-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Old 06-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So then liberals agree you will lose bad in the coming election? but blame it on gerrymandering. Ok got your plan. Good plan.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #35
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
So Gunns we will see dems do well in midterms then right?
I'm not really concerned with the midterms. Most often which ever party is sitting in the White House loses in the midterms. It's as predictable as you labeling people and speaking for people. Since the Congress is less approved of than Obama, it's just a revolving door of yes men for which ever party they belong to. Bring on Jon Huntsman!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #36
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

cutthead counting his chickens before they hatch....again
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #37
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The only reason the Republicans hold onto the House is gerrymandering.

For them, this is a win/win. Their agenda is to destroy the U.S. government. So far, I'd say they're doing a great job of it.

BTW, Obama has so far used 168 executive orders. He has a ways to go before getting to Bush's 291. And I don't remember a peep out of the GOP when he was doing it.
To Gerrymander you have to be in power when it comes around. So..........
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #38
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I agree historically and approval rating wise, looking at the matchups, it doesn't look good for the dems. Is that your point that because it's expected it's no big deal?

Repubs were supposed to be dead now they will have more Governors and Congress? That doesn't sound dead to me.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #39
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
So then liberals agree you will lose bad in the coming election? but blame it on gerrymandering. Ok got your plan. Good plan.
No, not at all. Read better.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #40
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Thanks Boner! keep it up!

Democrats Claim Big Fundraising Day After Boehner Lawsuit

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee claims it had its best online fundraising day of the year Wednesday, when House Speaker John Boehner announced he would introduce legislation authorizing a lawsuit against President Obama's executive actions.

The DCCC tells NBC News that on Wednesday it raised about $584,000 from more than 27,000 online donations, including nearly 8,000 first-time donors. And it adds that another 5,000 have given the organization money today, bringing the total to 32,000-plus donations.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/firs...awsuit-n141986
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #41
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I agree historically and approval rating wise, looking at the matchups, it doesn't look good for the dems. Is that your point that because it's expected it's no big deal?

Repubs were supposed to be dead now they will have more Governors and Congress? That doesn't sound dead to me.
Dems are looking good in the governors races. 6 races involve states Obama carried twice. The rep gov in Kansas is behind 6 points and last I checked Obama didn't even carry Kansas.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...surveyusa-june
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #42
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Pretty sure Repubs have 30 states right now. Even if they lose a couple still a majority. So like I said more governors and Congress would not be a dead party.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #43
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Pretty sure Repubs have 30 states right now. Even if they lose a couple still a majority. So like I said more governors and Congress would not be a dead party.
It'll be more than just a couple of seats.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

http://time.com/2927942/midterm-elec...014-democrats/

A new survey has more bad news for Democrats running in key battleground states this November.

My point stands not a dead party Peace. You all came in here and said repubs are over but the facts say otherwise. The House will stay repub, the Senate might be repub, and most likely when it's all over repubs will still have more governors then the dems.

Doesn't sound like a liberal mandate to me.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #45
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ernor_map.html

It will be close but Repubs will maintain or at least be almost dead even. Not exactly dead huh peace?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ernor_map.html

It will be close but Repubs will maintain or at least be almost dead even. Not exactly dead huh peace?
Trying to figure out when I ever said dead.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #47
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cutt went from super confidence about the upcoming midterms to we're not dead.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #48
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
didn't all the righties around here predict a Romney win as well? Taco I think you were one.
Didn't all the lefties here think that the right was extinct and they weren't going to win the mid term elections a few elections ago? I believe it was RO that said "Would the last Republican please turn out the lights" after Obama won his first term.

Mid terms are made for the opposing party in most cases. Obama isn't helping his Democrats fighting a close race anywhere.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #49
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm very late on this topic, but..........

Quote:
Back in February I analyzed the numbers on executive order frequency and found that Obama has actually been less likely to resort to the pen and phone than any president since Grover Cleveland. Just a few days ago, John Hudak at Brookings updated the chart through June 17 of this year and found that those numbers haven’t budged, at all. … As John Hudak writes, “claims that President Obama is issuing more than his predecessors is just flat wrong—and continues to be a talking point completely at odds with real data.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ntial-history/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote