The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Elway Made Right Move With Moreno

Knowshon already down for the count in Miami with a knee 'clean-up'. No worries. Out for a month, but he'll be back for camp.

Sound familiar?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m-knee-surgery

Look, I feel for the guy and he was a major contributor down the stretch in 2013, but Elway made the right move letting him walk.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch
Default

THE MOON.
WE LANDED ON IT.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Knowshon already down for the count in Miami with a knee 'clean-up'. No worries. Out for a month, but he'll be back for camp.

Sound familiar?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m-knee-surgery

Look, I feel for the guy and he was a major contributor down the stretch in 2013, but Elway made the right move letting him walk.
He helped us last year inmensely. Actually, he had a couple of good seasons with us.
The reality is, Knowshon is not the type of running back we want. I beleive he was used to the best of his ability in catching the ball on the flat, pass block protection, and another sort of plays and gadges we all saw.
We need a pure RB, and for that, we need somebody to be durable and take the punishment a tradicional RB is bound to endure. Of course being able to block is mandatory...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,566

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
THE MOON.
WE LANDED ON IT.
Well to be fair, we all knew he was struggling on the field but I think the news of the clean up surgery is recent.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,365

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Hopefully Ball will be able to carry the load, because I am not too enthused about who we have behind him, but they are young -- so only time will tell. I hope we add a talented back in 2015 in the draft, there are a lot of quality players with the top underclassmen expected to declare. I could easily see several first round backs -- it is a lot better than last year, Denver wasn't pleased with any of the backs in 2014 and it shows by them passing them over to address other positions.

Draft Selections, 2015.

1
2
3
5
5 (Bears)
6
7

Plus the three our four compensatory picks we will get in the early-mid rounds. A lot of quality backs and we will likely have 10 selections to grab at least one!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,566

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Hopefully Ball will be able to carry the load, because I am not too enthused about who we have behind him, but they are young -- so only time will tell. I hope we add a talented back in 2015 in the draft, there are a lot of quality players with the top underclassmen expected to declare. I could easily see several first round backs -- it is a lot better than last year, Denver wasn't pleased with any of the backs in 2014 and it shows by them passing them over to address other positions.

Draft Selections, 2015.

1
2
3
5
5 (Bears)
6
7

Plus the three our four compensatory picks we will get in the early-mid rounds. A lot of quality backs and we will likely have 10 selections to grab at least one!
Not so sure about that. We've seen the trend lately and that means even the best backs are going early 2nd round. I'd be highly surprised to see "several" backs go in the 1st round. I'd be surprised to even see 1 go in the 1st round unless he was a Peterson clone.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
B-Large
Ring of Famer
 
B-Large's Avatar
 
Expunged... Accidently?

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Knowshon already down for the count in Miami with a knee 'clean-up'. No worries. Out for a month, but he'll be back for camp.

Sound familiar?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m-knee-surgery

Look, I feel for the guy and he was a major contributor down the stretch in 2013, but Elway made the right move letting him walk.
What this point in contention by someone? I thought it was pretty clear KnoMo wasn't the right fit...
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,365

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Not so sure about that. We've seen the trend lately and that means even the best backs are going early 2nd round. I'd be highly surprised to see "several" backs go in the 1st round. I'd be surprised to even see 1 go in the 1st round unless he was a Peterson clone.
Todd Gurley is going to go in the first round and I would bet Karlos Williams from FSU will get consideration if he goes crazy this year now that he is indeed "the guy". His size and speed is incredible. Demeanor is nasty, could have been an elite defensive player, but switched to O after signing with the Noles. TJ Yeldon out of Alabama is no slouch either -- all of them are light years ahead in regards to talent than Sankey (who was my favorite RB) and others who went this past year. The draft in 2014 was below-average (IMHO) for running talent, but will be exceptional next season if all three of those declare, plus others.

Undoubtedly, there has been a devaluation of RB's across the league and it has impacted their draft stock, but those guys are absolutely worthy of a first-round selection. Gurley, pound for pound, is a Top 20 player in the NCAA and the other two I mentioned are monsters.

Last edited by Requiem; 06-24-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer
 
Powderaddict's Avatar
 
Sissies Ite Domum!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western CO
Posts: 1,311

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well to be fair, we all knew he was struggling on the field but I think the news of the clean up surgery is recent.
It's a few days old:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...postcount=7260

And definitely, Elway did the right thing. I don't think there's been a huge question there.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

While Elway most likely made the right call, any injuries sustained in another city with another team cannot be used to support that argument. There are too many different factors in play.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,510
Default

Todd Gurley is a pipe dream.

A sweet, sweet, wonderful pipe dream.
Shananahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
It's a few days old:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...postcount=7260

And definitely, Elway did the right thing. I don't think there's been a huge question there.
Sorry. Didn't see it.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,927

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,365

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Todd Gurley is a pipe dream.

A sweet, sweet, wonderful pipe dream.
I would be thrilled to see any of those three guys I mentioned here, but it is too early to see if we will need to make RB a #1/#2 priority next year. If the people behind Ball, or if he struggles, it certainly could be.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Action
Ring of Famer
 
Action's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Broncos
Posts: 2,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Moreno just screwed up the market for future RBs with high production lol
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran
 
Rother8's Avatar
 
Mhmugggggeeeee

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 351

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Elway and co. knew he wouldn't be back. We rode the poor dude into the turf, he was never the same after the New England game in foxborough
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,439

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Moreno put up decent numbers running against D's playing pass rush and pass first. A more explosive back will force the D's to play honest. The Superbowl really showed how little respect the Denver running game was getting.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,220

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Knowshon didn't have a job two years ago. He gets an opportunity, runs with it taking advantage of 5,6 or 7 guys in the box, gets hurt during the Baltimore game, and disappeared in the super bowl.

Denver had to go a different direction. He was not a bell cow or even close. He was a bust as the 12th overall pick when McDaniels selected him and most knew it except Dan and the intern playing GM. Elway managed to eek some value from him during his final year here. I hope to hell that Ball and Hillman can replace Slowshon. Shouldn't be hard.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I would be thrilled to see any of those three guys I mentioned here, but it is too early to see if we will need to make RB a #1/#2 priority next year. If the people behind Ball, or if he struggles, it certainly could be.

Ameer Abdullah, University of Nebraska.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,534

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Knowshon didn't have a job two years ago. He gets an opportunity, runs with it taking advantage of 5,6 or 7 guys in the box, gets hurt during the Baltimore game, and disappeared in the super bowl.

Denver had to go a different direction. He was not a bell cow or even close. He was a bust as the 12th overall pick when McDaniels selected him and most knew it except Dan and the intern playing GM. Elway managed to eek some value from him during his final year here. I hope to hell that Ball and Hillman can replace Slowshon. Shouldn't be hard.
This.

When Hillman and Ball got fumblitis it gave KM a chance to stick. He played well early but you could just see him get slower and slower as the year went on. Outside of the Pats game where they were playing pass 1st and conceding the shorter gains on the ground over the passing yardage. When they needed to stop KM in that game they did it.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,084
Default

I could see Moreno not playing much this year. Lamar Miller probably more talented, younger, healthier.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #22
Ragnar
Solid Starter
 
Ragnar's Avatar
 
hate them chiefs

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I could see Moreno not playing much this year. Lamar Miller probably more talented, younger, healthier.
I think everyone here knows that Fox doesn't like to let the FNG on the field unless he doesn't have a choice.

Moreno would have been serviceable, and probably the lead back pushing for another 1k yard season, and doing better than adequate in protection against all but the best pass-rushers.

Not that I'm defending letting Moreno go. He's just another back that we won't remember in 10 years. Which is too bad, I loved the way he ran in college.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,892

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Ronnie Hillman has looked good when he's held on the the ball. But his carry-to-fumble ratio is beyond unacceptable right now.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 5,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulseeker View Post
Ronnie Hillman has looked good when he's held on the the ball. But his carry-to-fumble ratio is beyond unacceptable right now.
hes still fumbling the ball..REALLY?
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,084
Default

I wouldn't have minded if the Broncos brought Moreno back at the vet minimum or something close to it.

Good insurance policy and has played in big games.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Denver Broncos