The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default 5 things we learned from OTA's

OMG...... 2014 BRONCOS BEST TEAM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five Things You Need to Know About Broncos OTAs

The Denver Broncos wrapped up OTAs this week, and with that we have just about a month before training camp kicks off and the pads come on.

Not much is usually made about OTAs, but the Broncos have star power and unprecedented access from their PR department, so there’s a ton to talk about. Here are five things you need to know about Broncos OTAs and minicamp, which are done and in the books.

1. The Defense Has Sick Depth

Every day of OTAs and minicamp, it seemed like another story was being written about a Broncos’ defensive player that was either coming back from injury or ready to make a significant contribution in 2014. With the additions of DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and T.J. Ward as well as first round pick Bradley Roby, the Broncos fortified their starting unit and added significant depth in the form of returning players from a year ago, both injured and not.

By my count, the Broncos’ defense will have nine different players in starting roles on opening day as compared to the Super Bowl, where only Terrance Knighton and Danny Trevathan will return to their normal spots. Nate Irving could start as well, but will likely be at inside linebacker with Von Miller back in the SAM linebacker spot.

New starters will include aforementioned Ware, Talib, Ward, and Roby, as well as Chris Harris, Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Rahim Moore.

Other guys coming back from injury include Quanterus Smith (DE) and Quinton Carter (S) who were both on IR last year. Those guys got in first-team reps with the Broncos’ defense, and provide excellent backup additions. The Broncos also have starting experience from young players like Duke Ihenacho, Sly Williams, and significant playoff experience for defensive backs Kayvon Webster, Tony Carter, David Bruton, and Omar Bolden.

The competition will be stiff.

2. Expectations for Emmanuel Sanders are HIGH

Sanders has been a phenomenal fit for the Broncos’ offense, by all accounts, and provides explosiveness and versatility to line up all over the formation.

He’s also putting in extra work with Peyton Manning to get down hand signals and timing after practice.

This dude is for real, and can be special in this offense.

3. Montee Ball Has Star Potential

I think one story that’s getting plenty of hype but not nearly enough merit is that of Montee Ball. I don’t know if Broncos fans realize how good he was at Wisconsin with three different QBs and teams keying in on their running game.

Ball was a college legend, but is a smart cookie and the type of player that fits the Broncos’ offense to a ‘t’. His versatility as a receiver gives the Broncos an added third down option and with the confidence the coaches have in him, he’s primed to burst onto the scene as a star back in the NFL this season.

4. Offensive Line Battles

The right tackle position is up for grabs. I wrote about this before, but the Broncos have at least three or four legitimate options at the right tackle position right now, including potentially kicking Orlando Franklin back to that spot.

The ideal scenario would be for one of Chris Clark, Winston Justice, or Michael Schofield to start at the right tackle slot with Franklin staying at left guard.

That competition appears to be just heating up.

5. Cody Latimer is the Real Deal

In 2013, the Broncos got a one year ‘learn on the job’ prospect in Montee Ball, who was the team’s second in line for carries. This year, that guy is Cody Latimer, whose physical ability and dominance could turn into more playing time than originally anticipated.

I fully expect Latimer to win #4 receiver duties with the Broncos, and play at times extensively creating major mismatches with the Broncos’ offensive personnel.

Link to full story and comment: http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/...-broncos-otas/
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Broncos' Peyton Manning: Retirement not on my radar
[*]By Kevin Patra [*]Around the League writer

The fascination surrounding the eventual end to Peyton Manning's NFL career continues to swirl in the offseason vortex.

Watch "The Top 100 Players of 2014" every week at 9 p.m. ET on NFL Network as we count down to the top player in the NFL. "The Top 100 Players of 2014 Reactions" airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.

The Denver Broncos quarterback visited retiring New Yorkers Derek Jeter and David Letterman earlier this offseason, opining "I'm not far behind" in terms of retirement.

However, "far" for Manning is relative. The 2013 MVP told The Associated Press last week that retirement isn't on his radar.

"Sometimes I sort of kick back and I pause and I think what sorts of things would I miss the most if I wasn't playing," Manning said.

So what would Manning miss the most?

"Being in the huddle," Manning said. "That's what I missed most when I was injured, I'll say that. I mean, there's no other type of unity or bond that I think any other job can provide. I know there are meetings, there are video conferences. But that huddle, because of where it takes place: it's often on the road, in the middle of the field, in front of 80,000 people, it's unique."

Chris Wesseling broke down how long Manning's Super Bowl window can remain open earlier this month. In our view, the 38-year-old could play out the final three years of his Broncos contract if the desire remains.

The camaraderie in the huddle seems enough to keep Manning chasing Super Bowl rings.

"When you don't play football anymore, you can broadcast, you can coach, you can be in management, whatever, but you are not allowed to go into the huddle anymore," Manning said. "That huddle is just for players. You can go into the locker room after the game and you can speak to the team, but I think any retired player would probably tell you they miss the huddle."

Click here to watch video: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ot-on-my-radar

Manning not close to retirement: http://pro32.ap.org/article/retireme...mannings-radar

Last edited by Guess Who; 06-23-2014 at 12:50 AM..
Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post

The fascination surrounding the eventual end to Peyton Manning's NFL career continues to swirl in the offseason vortex.

Watch "The Top 100 Players of 2014" every week at 9 p.m. ET on NFL Network as we count down to the top player in the NFL. "The Top 100 Players of 2014 Reactions" airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.

The Denver Broncos quarterback visited retiring New Yorkers Derek Jeter and David Letterman earlier this offseason, opining "I'm not far behind" in terms of retirement.

However, "far" for Manning is relative. The 2013 MVP told The Associated Press last week that retirement isn't on his radar.

"Sometimes I sort of kick back and I pause and I think what sorts of things would I miss the most if I wasn't playing," Manning said.

"Being in the huddle," Manning said. "That's what I missed most when I was injured, I'll say that. I mean, there's no other type of unity or bond that I think any other job can provide. I know there are meetings, there are video conferences. But that huddle, because of where it takes place: it's often on the road, in the middle of the field, in front of 80,000 people, it's unique."

Chris Wesseling broke down how long Manning's Super Bowl window can remain open earlier this month. In our view, the 38-year-old could play out the final three years of his Broncos contract if the desire remains.

The camaraderie in the huddle seems enough to keep Manning chasing Super Bowl rings.

"When you don't play football anymore, you can broadcast, you can coach, you can be in management, whatever, but you are not allowed to go into the huddle anymore," Manning said. "That huddle is just for players. You can go into the locker room after the game and you can speak to the team, but I think any retired player would probably tell you they miss the huddle."

Click here to watch video: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ot-on-my-radar

Manning not close to retirement: http://pro32.ap.org/article/retireme...mannings-radar
I don't get why they call it the top 100, it should be called "Peyton Manning and the rest". There is no way he isn't a run away leader.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

people get carried away with the Manning playing forever thing. Could he play three more years? Sure. could he also get banged up, have a Favre in 2010 year and then hang 'em up? yep. Favre was second in the MVP voting in 2009 and then every bit of done the next year. when you get old it can be quick. it's this year or bust as far as I'm concerned.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

My hope for the Broncos;

1. Manning plays out his contract or comes close depending on his ability to continue to play at a high level.

2. Gase is promised the HC job when Manning retires and chooses to stay teamed with Peyton for the next 3 years

3. Fox stays HC until Manning retires and Gase takes over

4. Brock signs his second contract with the Broncos with wording that he gets paid when he becomes a starter with generous guaranteed money and becomes the highest paid backup in the mean time. I think is is only 23 now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I wonder about the RT battle. I think Schofield eventually wins the job either at the start of the season or gets the nod 4-6 games in.

Some good info in those article though.
Manning I have always felt would play out his contract and then end up moving into a FO role.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I wonder about the RT battle. I think Schofield eventually wins the job either at the start of the season or gets the nod 4-6 games in.

Some good info in those article though.
Manning I have always felt would play out his contract and then end up moving into a FO role.
I have a hard time believing Schofield beats out both Clark and Justice. If he did that would be a tremendous thing for Broncos since they are both quality players. Plus having Schofield starting on a rookie salary would really help the cap situation. And free up Denver to trade Clark.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

One of the keys to the Broncos winning back to back SBs was team health. If you all remember, those teams stayed remarkably healthy through those two long seasons. I remember Shanny even admitting that this was vital to the team performing the way it did.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post

Someone should tell Peyton that he hasn't been in a huddle since about his 4th season in the league.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
people get carried away with the Manning playing forever thing. Could he play three more years? Sure. could he also get banged up, have a Favre in 2010 year and then hang 'em up? yep. Favre was second in the MVP voting in 2009 and then every bit of done the next year. when you get old it can be quick. it's this year or bust as far as I'm concerned.
I will say this however. Favre was a gunslinger. He was not a tactician like Manning is. It also depends on the system you are in. Favre was getting drilled the last few years and he was taking a beating. Manning hardly ever gets sacked so I could easily see him playing 2 more years. We'll have to see about the 3rd.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Someone should tell Peyton that he hasn't been in a huddle since about his 4th season in the league.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My hope for the Broncos;

1. Manning plays out his contract or comes close depending on his ability to continue to play at a high level.

2. Gase is promised the HC job when Manning retires and chooses to stay teamed with Peyton for the next 3 years

4. Brock signs his second contract with the Broncos with wording that he gets paid when he becomes a starter with generous guaranteed money and becomes the highest paid backup in the mean time. I think is is only 23 now.

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

In other words:

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My hope for the Broncos;

I would like to see what Brock's got just to be able to gage how Elway is as a QB evaluator. This is what will tell us about the direction of the Broncos for the future. Because we aren't lucking out again with a Peyton Manning level QB FA.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
You just love posting that even when it does not fit.

Tell me what is your vision for the future of the Broncos.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I would like to see what Brock's got just to be able to gage how Elway is as a QB evaluator. This is what will tell us about the direction of the Broncos for the future. Because we aren't lucking out again with a Peyton Manning level QB FA.
Beyond his time at ASU, you mean?
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Beyond his time at ASU, you mean?
I'm watching Kaepernick with some interest as well because Elway liked him out of college as well. I figure if Kaepernick has success he must have seen something right in him. Elway might see something right in Brock as well.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
Shananahan
Custom User Title

I heard he also liked Andrew Luck.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
I heard he also liked Andrew Luck.
and I am sure he likes milk in his frosted flakes..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
and I am sure he likes milk in his frosted flakes..
Right! I don't see Elway talking Jake Locker, Gabbert, or Tannahill.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
Shananahan
Custom User Title

1) This stuff about gauging Elway's ability to evaluate QB play is a joke, right?

2) You're an idiot, Chrissy.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
1) This stuff about gauging Elway's ability to evaluate QB play is a joke, right?

How is it a joke. Its important that he doa good job in this area. Even more important than another position. You make the wrong call its at least 3-5 lost years. I'm not saying Elway is good. I'm saying that it needs to be good and every time he likes someone, even if another team picks that player, it should be tracked. Its not often that a GM shows any cards. Elways he likes a player. You keep track of them and see how they turn out. Like Marvin Austin. He has sucked. Maybe Elway sucks at picking DT's. Its a legit argument.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:

and that makes you what? you responded..
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
How is it a joke. Its important that he doa good job in this area. Even more important than another position. You make the wrong call its at least 3-5 lost years. I'm not saying Elway is good. I'm saying that it needs to be good and every time he likes someone, even if another team picks that player, it should be tracked. Its not often that a GM shows any cards. Elways he likes a player. You keep track of them and see how they turn out. Like Marvin Austin. He has sucked. Maybe Elway sucks at picking DT's. Its a legit argument.
You do realize that Elway doesn't go scout the recruits, right? And that even the best GMs in the league have at least 3 busts for every hit, right? You actually think it's a legit argument to base his abilities on a single guy he didn't even pick?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
You do realize that Elway doesn't go scout the recruits, right? And that even the best GMs in the league have at least 3 busts for every hit, right? You actually think it's a legit argument to base his abilities on a single guy he didn't even pick?
exactly why I said the flip answer about frosted flakes..