The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #201
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Missionary

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That comparison is pretty lame. It's not like there's a group of miners who were forced out of their homes, raped and murdered and exiled to live on garbage land. The problem stems from people feeling guilty, justified or not, over the way the US shat all over the natives here. I firmly don't believe the children are responsible for the crimes of their ancestors, nor do I believe the victims descendants are entitled to anything, but I also think it adds a level of sensitivity to things that makes these kinds of names unpopular.
So you can't name your team based on people who were shat upon, but you CAN name them after the people who directly did the ****ting?

Makes no sense. But whatever.

Let's just not pretend this is just about "Redskins" Virtually every major sports franchise that a PC argument can be made for will become a target sooner or later. If they haven't already.

The question is how much do we want to sanitize our full history, including our sports history, in the name of politically correct bull****? Where does this end?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #202
canadianbroncosfan
Pro Bowler
 
canadianbroncosfan's Avatar
 
M.W.A. - Foreign Affairs Minister

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
If I were Dan Snyder I'd ecstatic. He has the opportunity to get a cool new name and logo and make a fortune off it all while looking like a stand-up guy for doing it
The first part is totally right but it may be a bit too late for this.
canadianbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #203
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Missionary

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
IMO it ends at a brand worth defending.

Redskins is a ****ty name with a ****ty logo and also happens to have a ****ty meaning to some people.
You can think so. I can think so. But we're Broncos fans. Which means our opinions mean nothing.

I don't hold the Cheaps in any higher regard. But it would be awful marketing for them to change their name.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #204
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Missionary

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Or here's another way to think about it.

Word association.

When people hear "49'ers" do you think most people think about a mid-19th century gold rush? Or do they think about football?

Similarly, when they hear "Redskins" do they really think about Native Americans, or do they think about football?

That's when you know you've got a powerful brand in the national conscience. When you've literally supplanted the meaning of a term with the identity of a sports team. It's a tough thing to throw that away so lightly. And for what? What person or group is really going to be made whole by it?

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 08-21-2014 at 01:15 PM..
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #205
canadianbroncosfan
Pro Bowler
 
canadianbroncosfan's Avatar
 
M.W.A. - Foreign Affairs Minister

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Oh for sure. That ship has sailed. He did not choose wisely /IndianaJones
Public opinion or not though, he's a business man. Go get the boat load of $$$$

canadianbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #206
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Missionary

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
If there were more Indians around it wouldn't have supplanted it, but instead we've nearly killed them all.
Yeah, and many Seminoles walked the trail of tears. But most people still hear that name and think football.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #207
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

If you can't count on owners to do the right thing don't worry people will vote with their money.

Redskins merchandising dips sharply

Through August, Redskins sales were down 43.8 percent, the firm's numbers show, beating out slides from other teams that failed to make the playoffs last year, including the Ravens (34.5 percent), Texans (32.8 percent), Giants (25.5 percent), Vikings (25.1 percent) and Falcons (20.1 percent).



http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...research-shows
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #208
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama
Posts: 8,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
If you can't count on owners to do the right thing don't worry people will vote with their money.

Redskins merchandising dips sharply

Through August, Redskins sales were down 43.8 percent, the firm's numbers show, beating out slides from other teams that failed to make the playoffs last year, including the Ravens (34.5 percent), Texans (32.8 percent), Giants (25.5 percent), Vikings (25.1 percent) and Falcons (20.1 percent).



http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...research-shows

From your article.

"Data from NFLShop.com, the league's official store, shows that the Redskins were the 12th-most-popular team in sales last year and are at the same position this year."

So I think it's safe to say that it's just not them who are losing out if they are holding the same ranking as last year.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #209
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
From your article.

"Data from NFLShop.com, the league's official store, shows that the Redskins were the 12th-most-popular team in sales last year and are at the same position this year."

So I think it's safe to say that it's just not them who are losing out if they are holding the same ranking as last year.
This has been going on for more than just one year.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #210
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,720

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
This has been going on for more than just one year.
The Redskins have been pretty bad for more than one year. Other than RGIII's rookie year these guys haven't had a season to get excited about in a while. That probably kills their sales more than a controversial nickname.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #211
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
The Redskins have been pretty bad for more than one year. Other than RGIII's rookie year these guys haven't had a season to get excited about in a while. That probably kills their sales more than a controversial nickname.
The Skins have been pretty much ****ty for 20 years now. Only the last 2 or 3 years have their sales declined.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #212
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama
Posts: 8,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Only the last 2 or 3 years have their sales declined.
And like I showed you in your very same article. They were ranked 12th last year in sales, and so far this year are ranked 12th again. So if their sales have declined, so have all other teams.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #213
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,720

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
The Skins have been pretty much ****ty for 20 years now. Only the last 2 or 3 years have their sales declined.
And I still maintain that there is not enough correlation to claim causality, particularly when there are so many other mitigating factors that affect merchandise sales.

Honestly, I wish they would change the name at this point. We get the same talking points every year and every talking head tries to sell the argument like we've never heard about the controversy before. Its really old and tiresome at this point. They will change the name once Snyder (utter scumbag that he is) has been sufficiently bribed. Until then, we have to listen to the same tired screeching voices year after year.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #214
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
And I still maintain that there is not enough correlation to claim causality, particularly when there are so many other mitigating factors that affect merchandise sales.

Honestly, I wish they would change the name at this point. We get the same talking points every year and every talking head tries to sell the argument like we've never heard about the controversy before. Its really old and tiresome at this point. They will change the name once Snyder (utter scumbag that he is) has been sufficiently bribed. Until then, we have to listen to the same tired screeching voices year after year.
It will be interesting to keep an eye on this in the future.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #215
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,233
Default

Amazing how some Broncos fans have no problem calling the team they claim to love the Donkeys, Donkos, or Burros, but b**** about a team they don't even really like being named the Redskins....smh
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #216
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 51,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

That their rank overall didn't change, and that they missed the playoffs last year, suggests the bad press from name change had very little, if anything, to do with the Redskins sales. Sorry, but a handful of native Americans and a bunch of white people in the press are the only ones who care about this enough to affect sales. Some guy buying his kid a jersey isn't going to be like "I can't! It offends the Natives!"
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Denver Broncos