The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #176
GoneFishin'
Pro Bowler

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Ditka has always been a hot head. You ever notice he tries to talk so fast sometimes that you can't really even understand what he's saying, lol. He should be replaced on the show. He's jut not entertaining to watch. I think there are plenty of guys they could find that would be better. Get Shanny in there, hahahahahaha, KIDDING !!!
He always starts a new sentence before he's finished with the one he was on. haha
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #177
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Go back to sleep, Mike.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #178
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

This is really not a hot-buttom issue for me, I was initially sort of against them changeing the name, now, I'm just sick of hearing about it. They ought to just go a head and change the name to 'Warriors' leave the logo and be done with it.
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #179
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

I'm with Iron Mike.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #180
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
I'm with Iron Mike.
What's Mike Tyson's stance on it?
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #181
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
He always starts a new sentence before he's finished with the one he was on. haha
OMG that is TRUTH. Big time. He does talk fast but you're right, he does this more then anything.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #182
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

If I was Snyder I would tell everyone to eloquently go **** themselves.
The name should stay unless all the ones who are complaining are willing to pay the difference for all of the uniform, licensing and branding change costs.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #183
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Now, that I don't know. I'm referring to the O.G. Iron Mike.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #184
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Every time I glance by this thread I read "Peyton Officially Cancels 'Redskins'" and I think "**** me is there anything that guy can't do?"
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #185
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I agree with Ditka **** em
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #186
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
The name should stay unless all the ones who are complaining are willing to pay the difference for all of the uniform, licensing and branding change costs.
Pay for all the costs? Do you think things through before you post them? They would make a killing if they changed the name and all that. Fans would be buying completely new merchandise. They would be bankrolling in profits. Quite the opposite of having "costs" such as you say.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #187
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Pay for all the costs? Do you think things through before you post them? They would make a killing if they changed the name and all that. Fans would be buying completely new merchandise. They would be bankrolling in profits. Quite the opposite of having "costs" such as you say.
Yep. Right now I'm sure their merchandise is not selling much for 2 reasons. 1 out of fear they are going to change the name anyway and 2. the need to be "PC" and avoid offending others.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #188
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #189
GoneFishin'
Pro Bowler

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The last I checked no is being forced to buy tickets to the Redskins games or being forced to buy their merchandise. The Redskins I saw are the 2nd or 3rd most valuable NFL team according to Forbes. It seems quite obvious the name of the franchise is not an issue to the fans. If it was they'd stop supporting them.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #190
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Is this for real? Surely you understand the killing they would make selling new merchandise to an entire fan base, right?

Hell, let's change our name to the Denver Stallions and use the money made to buy Aaron Rodgers in 2016. This is a solid business tactic!
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #191
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Depending on the nickname they would be able to sell a lot of new merchandise yes. But they have to apply for new patents, design new logos, do market research on the name, depending on the type of contract they have with certain vendors, buy back the merchandise and spend on a new ad campaign.

It's not just rolling in money. The team is essentially it's own corporation.
So as I said before, if they are not willing to pay for the costs they can shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Is this for real? Surely you understand the killing they would make selling new merchandise to an entire fan base, right?

Hell, let's change our name to the Denver Stallions and use the money made to buy Aaron Rodgers in 2016. This is a solid business tactic!
NFL fans are sheep but they are not that dumb. Part of the value of a franchise is the name and it's brand. You don't simply change a name and wham a bunch of new merchandise money flows in.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #192
extralife
Ring of Famer

I like how the argument against changing the name is it might hurt the "branding" and income of a douchebag billionaire. glad to know we have our priorities straight.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #193
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Yep. Right now I'm sure their merchandise is not selling much for 2 reasons. 1 out of fear they are going to change the name anyway and 2. the need to be "PC" and avoid offending others.
I'd add 3. since they no longer hold a trademark on Washington Redskins any manufacturer can legally make & sell Washington gear without any reimbursement to the team for the license on using the extinct trademark.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #194
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I like how the argument against changing the name is it might hurt the "branding" and income of a douchebag billionaire. glad to know we have our priorities straight.
My argument is that going so far as to change your popular franchise's entire brand just to satisfy a small subset of semi-professional grievance-mongers sets a terrible precedent, and only encourages these avid outrage-hobbyists to take us further and further into the sterile, padded world they demand we live in.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #195
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I'd add 3. since they no longer hold a trademark on Washington Redskins any manufacturer can legally make & sell Washington gear without any reimbursement to the team for the license on using the extinct trademark.
Not quite. They are allowed to use the Team nickname as it is no longer Trademarked, but they can't use the logos, fonts, uniforms, ect.

Plus, the ruling is currently under appeal and an injunction is in place pending the outcome of the appeal. Kind of like what happened last time Washington lost the trademark for the team nickname.

I said this before, but there is a 50/50 chance that nothing significant comes out of this ruling and that within a few years Washington will have the trademark re-instated.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #196
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
My argument is that going so far as to change your popular franchise's entire brand just to satisfy a small subset of semi-professional grievance-mongers sets a terrible precedent, and only encourages these avid outrage-hobbyists to take us further and further into the sterile, padded world they demand we live in.
I'd argue as the press keeps the heat on this story that it will hurt revenue, specifically companies that pay to endorse products with the stadium. You also have guys that won't officiate or call games for the team because of the team name.

Objectively speaking it is a stupid name. If we they were opening a franchise in the DC area and that name appeared on the list of potentials for the new team, it would be mocked.

I do like names like the Chiefs, Braves and Seminols. Those are real names of Native American tribes and positions that they used as a people.

If you apply a new group of people, the idiocy becomes obvious. Let's take the crusades and mid-east warrors; The difference between the Washington Sultans or Hashashim versus the Washington infidels or towel-heads is clear.

Last edited by Kaylore; 08-21-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #197
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'd argue as the press keeps the heat on this story that it will hurt revenue, specifically companies that pay to endorse products with the stadium. You also have guys that won't officiate or call games for the team because of the team name.
Meh, I doubt there's much leverage there. In this particular case, the people who care the most (about the name thing) are the people with the least invested. Skins fans don't want it changed. And ultimately Skins fans pay the team's bills. Not getting into all the NFL revenue sharing stuff. Whether a Broncos or 49'ers fan is pissed about the name or not means very little to a DC franchise.

Quote:
Objectively speaking it is a stupid name. If we they were opening a franchise in the DC area and that name appeared on the list of potentials for the new team, it would be mocked.
True in a sense, but that removes the franchise's 80 year history from the equation, which is important. The '49'ers' is really a pretty dumb name too. Doubt it would sell for a new NFL franchise today. In fact, if the NFL were to propose it as a new name today, we'd hear all about the horrible history of the California Gold Rush and how many turrible turrible things happened at the hands of the REAL 49'ers back then. "Things that should never be glorified!"

Anyway, my main point being, the 49ers as a lifeless ahistoric name would be pretty much a non-starter today. But the history of the San Francisco 49'ers makes that name damn near untouchable. But if the Skins lose, or give up in this particular case, the Order of the Perpetually Outraged will simply move on to whoever's next.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #198
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Meh, I doubt there's much leverage there. In this particular case, the people who care the most (about the name thing) are the people with the least invested. Skins fans don't want it changed. And ultimately Skins fans pay the team's bills. Not getting into all the NFL revenue sharing stuff. Whether a Broncos or 49'ers fan is pissed about the name or not means very little to a DC franchise.

True in a sense, but that removes the franchise's 80 year history from the equation, which is important. The '49'ers' is really a pretty dumb name too. Doubt it would sell for a new NFL franchise today. In fact, if the NFL were to propose it as a new name today, we'd hear all about the horrible history of the California Gold Rush and how many turrible turrible things happened at the hands of the REAL 49'ers back then. "Things that should never be glorified!"

Anyway, my main point being, the 49ers as a lifeless ahistoric name would be pretty much a non-starter today. But the history of the San Francisco 49'ers makes that name damn near untouchable. But if the Skins lose, or give up in this particular case, the Order of the Perpetually Outraged will simply move on to whoever's next.
That comparison is pretty lame. It's not like there's a group of miners who were forced out of their homes, raped and murdered and exiled to live on garbage land. The problem stems from people feeling guilty, justified or not, over the way the US shat all over the natives here. I firmly don't believe the children are responsible for the crimes of their ancestors, nor do I believe the victims descendants are entitled to anything, but I also think it adds a level of sensitivity to things that makes these kinds of names unpopular.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #199
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Ditka with strong words...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...name/14304345/

"What's all the stink over the Redskin name?" Ditka said. "It's so much [expletive] it's incredible. We're going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it's appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That's the way it is.
"Its been the name of the team since the beginning of football. It has nothing to do with something that happened lately, or something that somebody dreamed up. This was the name, period. Leave it alone. These people are silly asinine, actually, in my opinion."
And he continued the strong words in the interview:
"It's all the political correct idiots in America, that's all it is," Ditka said. "It's got nothing to do with anything else. We're going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It's fine to protest. That's your right, if you don't like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that's ridiculous. Change the Constitution we've got people trying to do that, too, and they're doing a pretty good job."

He is kind of making me think the name should actually be changed now....
Why? That Whiteskin makes a really good point. Also I would like to hear more about his thoughts on the 60s protest. I bet he got some good stuff that will really rally the troops.

Note: Whiteskin was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American European

Last edited by HILife; 08-21-2014 at 12:39 PM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #200
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I do like names like the Chiefs, Braves and Seminols. Those are real names of Native American tribes and positions that they used as a people.

Interesting fact about the origins of the Braves nickname. In 1912 the owner, James Gaffney, changed the team's name to the Braves as a reference to the political machine Tammany Hall (who pretty much got a head start on everyone else in appropriating native american culture into their own organization) He did so largely as a middle finger to the Boston "aristocracy" that were staunchly opposed to Tammany Hall backed Democrats. Although, there are some claims that various sportswriters coined the nickname first and Gaffney simply made it official by adding an Indian head motif to the sleeves of the uniforms.

My point is, they were named the Braves to troll New England, something I think every Denver Broncos fan can get behind.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote