The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #101
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep
 
BroncosfanGuy's Avatar
 
Big Fan

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,534

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Btw...the Chiefs are not named for Indian chiefs. The word Chief is french the last time I looked it up. The Chiefs are named after a former mayor who's nickname was chief.
Mayor Robert Parish?
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #102
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,444

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Hunt, with a roster replete with players who had played college football in Texas, wanted to maintain a lineage to the team’s roots and wanted to name the club the Kansas City Texans.[2] "The Lakers stayed the Lakers when they moved from Minnesota to California," he reasoned. "But Jack Steadman convinced me that wasn’t too smart. It wouldn’t sell." The team was renamed the Kansas City Chiefs—one of the most popular suggestions Hunt received in a name-the-team contest.[4] A name also considered at the time for the team was the Kansas City Mules.[4]

The name, "Chiefs" is not only derived from a fan contest, but also from Mayor Bartle, who 35 years prior, founded the Native American-based honor society known as The Tribe of Mic-O-Say within the Boy Scouts of America organization, which earned him the nickname, "The Chief."[2]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...as_City_Chiefs
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #103
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,053

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaah.

No.

**** me, you're a goddamn idiot.
Not my fault you ****** liberals want to dictate everything like ****ing hitler.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...ory-of-redskin

The evolution of the word may have became negative for b****es like you, but the origin remains the same.

Now go **** off and keep defending insanity like the little liberal b**** you are.


Idiot.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #104
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper
 
Mile High Salute's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mile High City, CO
Posts: 190

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Pretty messed up ruling today, and I think the Redskins name is offensive. Just a really extreme example of executive overreach IMHO. Last I checked this was America and not Communist China. Per the 1st amendment you have the right of free speech even it's in poor taste and you're a spoiled d-bag like Dan Snyder.

Are the KKK and Aryan Nations going to have to give up their names and logos too? The silver lining on trampling on the 1st amendment I guess is maybe now Braves and Chefs fans will have to stop doing that retarded tomahawk chop or the "Ohhh ohhhh, ohhhh oh ohhhhhhh" chant.

Just ridiculous IMHO.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #105
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Oh geez, not this shlt again.


Everybody can find anything to offend someone.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #106
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

I'm half Irish and the Notre Dame mascot offends me to the point of fisticuffs.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #107
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,235
Default

Its nice D.C. has the time to meddle in the NFL and such politically correct topics, this isn't the America I know. When Congress, an idiot President or any minority can decide they don't like something or are offended and dissolve patents we are truly lost. The middle east is on fire with no foreign policy, the economy is worse than ever, IRS is acting against segments of the population, the deficit is growing to huge proportions while the fed prints money, the boarder is out of control with illegals crossing, the President dithers on what actions he should take on any subject...it just goes on and on and the Redskins name is what they are concerned with. I don't know how anyone can take these idiots seriously.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #108
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Pretty messed up ruling today, and I think the Redskins name is offensive. Just a really extreme example of executive overreach IMHO. Last I checked this was America and not Communist China. Per the 1st amendment you have the right of free speech even it's in poor taste and you're a spoiled d-bag like Dan Snyder.

Are the KKK and Aryan Nations going to have to give up their names and logos too? The silver lining on trampling on the 1st amendment I guess is maybe now Braves and Chefs fans will have to stop doing that retarded tomahawk chop or the "Ohhh ohhhh, ohhhh oh ohhhhhhh" chant.

Just ridiculous IMHO.
It's hard to imagine a way to more fully misconstrue the ruling that occurred today.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #109
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

You don't say "never" to a tyrant.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #110
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #111
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Pretty messed up ruling today, and I think the Redskins name is offensive. Just a really extreme example of executive overreach IMHO. Last I checked this was America and not Communist China. Per the 1st amendment you have the right of free speech even it's in poor taste and you're a spoiled d-bag like Dan Snyder.

Are the KKK and Aryan Nations going to have to give up their names and logos too? The silver lining on trampling on the 1st amendment I guess is maybe now Braves and Chefs fans will have to stop doing that retarded tomahawk chop or the "Ohhh ohhhh, ohhhh oh ohhhhhhh" chant.

Just ridiculous IMHO.
I'm not sure you fully grasp the nuances of the first amendment.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #112
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Pretty messed up ruling today, and I think the Redskins name is offensive. Just a really extreme example of executive overreach IMHO. Last I checked this was America and not Communist China. Per the 1st amendment you have the right of free speech even it's in poor taste and you're a spoiled d-bag like Dan Snyder.

Are the KKK and Aryan Nations going to have to give up their names and logos too? The silver lining on trampling on the 1st amendment I guess is maybe now Braves and Chefs fans will have to stop doing that retarded tomahawk chop or the "Ohhh ohhhh, ohhhh oh ohhhhhhh" chant.

Just ridiculous IMHO.
Why do people always say this? Just about every amendment or law is predicated on the fact that while you have the right to do something, you then cannot use that right to interfere with, harm, disturb or otherwise infringe on the rights of others.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #113
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Why do people always say this? Just about every amendment or law is predicated on the fact that while you have the right to do something, you then cannot use that right to interfere with, harm, disturb or otherwise infringe on the rights of others.
Absolutely. Now show me where it says you have a right to be unoffended?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #114
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper
 
Mile High Salute's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mile High City, CO
Posts: 190

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
It's hard to imagine a way to more fully misconstrue the ruling that occurred today.
So I gather you think yesterday's action was an appropriate use of authority? How interesting. Love to hear more. Just because the Redskins name is offensive and should be changed, doesn't mean the government should be trying to force them to do so. So glad my tax dollars are going towards all the really important stuff.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #115
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Like with most things, if the majority of the public found it offensive, then the Redskins would feel the pinch with sales and other things that would force them to make a change. Instead, we have government telling everyone they should be offended and they want to do meddle in something they have no business in, especially again, when this team has had this name for 80 years. Where was all this outrage when the name was first used? Back in the 1940's? The 50's? The 60's? The 70's? The 80's? It wasn't until like the 90's when people were first told you should be offended by this name. Over 50 years of time, but Congress needs to worry about this? Glad they have nothing else to do since they are accomplishing so much.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #116
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
So I gather you think yesterday's action was an appropriate use of authority? How interesting. Love to hear more. Just because the Redskins name is offensive and should be changed, doesn't mean the government should be trying to force them to do so. So glad my tax dollars are going towards all the really important stuff.
Yesterday's actions had no effect whatsoever on any first amendment right. The team is still named the redskins and can still be named the redskins for all eternity. As a matter of fact, Snyder has the right to call the team the Washington ****ers, nips, or kikes if he wants to.

Also, no tax dollars went toward changing the name. What actually happened is that private individuals petitioned to have the trademark protection removed. And now your tax dollars will no longer be spent protecting the trademark.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #117
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
The silver lining on trampling on the 1st amendment I guess is maybe now Braves and Chefs fans will have to stop doing that retarded tomahawk chop or the "Ohhh ohhhh, ohhhh oh ohhhhhhh" chant.

Just ridiculous IMHO.

Does the 1st amendment protect us from epic hypocrisy?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #118
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
Yesterday's actions had no effect whatsoever on any first amendment right. The team is still named the redskins and can still be named the redskins for all eternity. As a matter of fact, Snyder has the right to call the team the Washington ****ers, nips, or kikes if he wants to.

Also, no tax dollars went toward changing the name. What actually happened is that private individuals petitioned to have the trademark protection removed. And now your tax dollars will no longer be spent protecting the trademark.
The US Patent and TM office is a function of the US Department of Commerce. Which mean that this decison was made by an office under the direction of the Executive Branch.

So yes..tax dollars factor in no matter which way you slice it.

Further, the Executive Branch will have to defend it's stance via the DOJ (AGAIN) in court. So yes it's a waste of money unless the burden of proof has changed. Which I don't believe it has. this issue was already settled a decade ago.

Also the P and TM office doesn't protect patents, but are merely a record keeper of patents for protection. As a business owner, you would have to defend your patents and trademarks.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 06-19-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #119
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Mayor Robert Parish?
Harold Roe Bartle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Roe_Bartle
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #120
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,843

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Not my fault you ****** liberals want to dictate everything like ****ing hitler.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...ory-of-redskin

The evolution of the word may have became negative for b****es like you, but the origin remains the same.

Now go **** off and keep defending insanity like the little liberal b**** you are.


Idiot.

Hey you **** off a-hole. I don't like that you are making it sounds like just because you have a liberal belief that you are a b****.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #121
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,843

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Its nice D.C. has the time to meddle in the NFL and such politically correct topics, this isn't the America I know. When Congress, an idiot President or any minority can decide they don't like something or are offended and dissolve patents we are truly lost. The middle east is on fire with no foreign policy, the economy is worse than ever, IRS is acting against segments of the population, the deficit is growing to huge proportions while the fed prints money, the boarder is out of control with illegals crossing, the President dithers on what actions he should take on any subject...it just goes on and on and the Redskins name is what they are concerned with. I don't know how anyone can take these idiots seriously.
You're wrong, plain and simple. The economy is soooo much better then it was at the moment of the crash. You seriously don't know **** if you think it's not tons better, just go look up the non-baised data and you'll see. The middle east is always on fire and will always be on fire, do you have a point to make about it. Nothing is different over there then from 100 years ago so don't lay that **** on anybody. It's their own damn fault they want to kill each other and everybody else.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #122
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,027

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Idiot.
Can't call someone that if you failed at spelling Algonquian.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #123
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,491
Default

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #124
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hey you **** off a-hole. I don't like that you are making it sounds like just because you have a liberal belief that you are a b****.
No, I wouldn't say that. I would say makes you look weak and dumb, not to mention childlike and a hypocrite. Feel better?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #125
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,255
Default

http://www.theonion.com/articles/red...iew:NA:InFocus


Redskins' Kike Owner Refuses To Change Offensive Name


"The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do “everything in his power” to preserve the team’s proud heritage."

Last edited by bombay; 06-19-2014 at 01:18 PM..
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Denver Broncos