The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Default OT-Rabbit Destroying Lawn

Ok, so it's not the Iraq-crisis, but I've got neighborhood bunnies ruining my front lawn by eating it and leaving their brown Trix-droppings all over the place. Short of putting a bullet between their fuzzy, little ears, what other advice does anyone have for ridding me of of this annoyance?

I've tried the over-the-counter repellents and those don't seem to work. I put out "Critter-Ridder" on the spots they frequent a couple days ago and they're right back out there sitting on top of the treated area. Tried something a couple years ago with dried fox-pee or some other such concoction but that didn't work, either. No point in trapping them because there's a den under several of the neighbor's porches so they'll just make more of themselves. Can't put up a fence (not in the front yard).

I'm seriously considering a pellet gun or something like that...
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
Ok, so it's not the Iraq-crisis, but I've got neighborhood bunnies ruining my front lawn by eating it and leaving their brown Trix-droppings all over the place. Short of putting a bullet between their fuzzy, little ears, what other advice does anyone have for ridding me of of this annoyance?

I've tried the over-the-counter repellents and those don't seem to work. I put out "Critter-Ridder" on the spots they frequent a couple days ago and they're right back out there sitting on top of the treated area. Tried something a couple years ago with dried fox-pee or some other such concoction but that didn't work, either. No point in trapping them because there's a den under several of the neighbor's porches so they'll just make more of themselves. Can't put up a fence (not in the front yard).

Had this issue back when I was living in a suburb outside of Chicago. Best solution I found, nice aggressive house cat. Had a doggy door so she could come and go from the house as she pleased. She would mark along the edges of my property. Very quickly birds, rabbits and other pests started avoiding my house. A dog works as well, but you mentioned your front lawn and I'm not sure what leash laws are like in your neighborhood.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Gotta do what you gotta do.
Attached Images

Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I just tell my wife to keep her Rabbit in the bedroom like a normal person...no reason for her vibrator to be on the lawn
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...it-Ragu-236843
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Had this issue back when I was living in a suburb outside of Chicago. Best solution I found, nice aggressive house cat. Had a doggy door so she could come and go from the house as she pleased. She would mark along the edges of my property. Very quickly birds, rabbits and other pests started avoiding my house. A dog works as well, but you mentioned your front lawn and I'm not sure what leash laws are like in your neighborhood.
Have a German Shepherd but, yeah, letting her go in the front yard isn't much of an option. Have done it before and she'll take off after 'em (one of the big joys of her life!) but don't want her running lose in the neighborhood and it's rather embarrassing chasing her down the road hollering her name until she breaks off pursuit! (Obviously, a cat is out of the question as she'd take off after the kitty as she would a rabbit!)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
Gotta do what you gotta do.
Have figured out I need a .22 pellet gun to do the job efficiently. Gonna check with my CO State Patrol neighbor on if it's legal or not to shot that thing from my daughter's bedroom window which looks down onto the front lawn. Perfect perch for a sniper.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I had the same problem last year. But in the heat of tha AZ Summer I think that damn rabbit died.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Rabbit stew.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Meck77

Something like this works. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370816443291?lpid=82

I also bought a red rider from the ranch store. It was like $40. Levels the playing field.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Have a German Shepherd but, yeah, letting her go in the front yard isn't much of an option. Have done it before and she'll take off after 'em (one of the big joys of her life!) but don't want her running lose in the neighborhood and it's rather embarrassing chasing her down the road hollering her name until she breaks off pursuit! (Obviously, a cat is out of the question as she'd take off after the kitty as she would a rabbit!)

I have two German Shepherds and one cat. My older shepherd pretty much leaves the cat alone and sometimes the cat will even curl up on him when he is lounging on the couch. However, my younger shepherd does love to harass the hell out of the cat. We got her a cat tower so she has a place to retreat to when the younger one gets after her. The first year of cohabitation can be rough, but they eventually mellow out.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Fox urine worked well in my back yard when they were living under my shed. Sprinkled it around a few areas and give it a little water. Did that for about a week, no more bunnies. Got a plastic bottle of it at a local feed store. And no, it is not a liquid, it is a powder, sprinkle it around, water lightly.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

BroncosSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com

Only way to get rid of them and it is completely silent.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

put out other food they might like- try to harmonize?

Its like Squirrels, they girdle my trees, chew up my grape vines, dig up bulbs.....

I just learned to live with it, makes peace-

Bunnies and Squirrels and like Radicalized Jihadi Terrorists- kill one, two takes its place.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Thanks a lot Obama.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Thanks a lot Obama.
Traded 4 rabbits for 1 prisoner.
BroncosSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Meck77

Quote:

Or just leave out huge bags of feed for them. The poor rabbits shouldn't have to work for food!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

unicorn jizz should do it
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I suppose if it was you who was captive, that would have been a fair deal, lol. Oh wait, you'll probably reply that you're a tough guy and would have wanted to continue on with your daily torture for another 5 years.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Call Glenn Close

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

My sister in-law insists on bringing their beagle over to our house. The thing is fast and strong and with my back problems I can't deal with it but it finally paid off. They came over Saturday and let it out back and the dog got hold of a rabbit that has been raising a family in the back. They said they thought she had one of my dogs squeaky toys but ran out side when we told them we don't have any squeaky dog toys.

Now part of me feels bad for the rabbits that she didn't get. Not sure if it was an adult or one of the babies. I was at soccer.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I suppose if it was you who was captive, that would have been a fair deal, lol. Oh wait, you'll probably reply that you're a tough guy and would have wanted to continue on with your daily torture for another 5 years.
Thanks a lot. Who not to invite to your next kick ass party? This guy^^^^^
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Critter Ridder is essentially crushed up moth balls. That will only work if you spread it out over the entire yard, not just hot spots.

A dog or a gun tend to be the best deterrents for rabbits.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote