The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #51
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,763
Default

Are the Omane libertarians now calling out Obama for not doing enough world police actions?

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #52
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Are the Omane libertarians now calling out Obama for not doing enough world police actions?

You break it, you buy it. We should've never left Iraq. Even if it was just 20,000 in a few strategic locations. And we should be in Libya now as well.

The time for non-interventionism is before the intervention.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #53
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You break it, you buy it. We should've never left Iraq. Even if it was just 20,000 in a few strategic locations. And we should be in Libya now as well.

The time for non-interventionism is before the intervention.


You're a real expert on foreign policy.

President Obama's speech formally declaring that the last 43,000 U.S. troops will leave Iraq by the end of the year was designed to mask an unpleasant truth: The troops aren't being withdrawn because the U.S. wants them out. They're leaving because the Iraqi government refused to let them stay.

Obama campaigned on ending the war in Iraq but had instead spent the past few months trying to extend it. A 2008 security deal between Washington and Baghdad called for all American forces to leave Iraq by the end of the year, but the White House -- anxious about growing Iranian influence and Iraq's continuing political and security challenges -- publicly and privately tried to sell the Iraqis on a troop extension. As recently as last week, the White House was trying to persuade the Iraqis to allow 2,000-3,000 troops to stay beyond the end of the year.

Those efforts had never really gone anywhere; One senior U.S. military official told National Journal last weekend that they were stuck at "first base" because of Iraqi reluctance to hold substantive talks.

That impasse makes Obama's speech at the White House on Friday less a dramatic surprise than simple confirmation of what had long been expected by observers of the moribund talks between the administration and the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, which believes its own security forces are more than up to the task of protecting the country from terror attacks originating within its borders or foreign incursions from neighboring countries.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-there/247174/

The Iraqis ordered us to leave and said they could handle it. We should never have gone in there in the first place. THAT was the biggest mistake, made by your hero, George W. Bush.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #54
Obushma
Ring of Famer
 
Obushma's Avatar
 
Bring your lunch pail

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SLC Utah
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Are the Omane libertarians now calling out Obama for not doing enough world police actions?

What Omane Libertarian do you see supporting more interventionist foreign policy?

If anything, I've seen all the Omane Liberals support the same foreign policy that they supposedly hated under Bush.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #55
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obushma View Post
What Omane Libertarian do you see supporting more interventionist foreign policy?

If anything, I've seen all the Omane Liberals support the same foreign policy that they supposedly hated under Bush.
You're full of ****.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #56
Obushma
Ring of Famer
 
Obushma's Avatar
 
Bring your lunch pail

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SLC Utah
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You're full of ****.
Then answer the question you geriatric botch, name one Libertarian on this site who has supported a more interventionist foreign policy. Oh that's right you can't, because there's not one. Looks like you're the one that's full of ****, might want to increase that Alzheimer med dosage.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #57
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Since you haven't been paying attention the US spent about 40 support troop to provide INTEL, Logistics and Planning Operations about 3 months ago. They have also been providing UAV overflights to gather intel. The type operation take time to develop and support.
Oh, now I see Obama sent 80 US troops to Chad on May 21st (3 weeks ago). About a month after one of the more recent kidnappings in a LONG string of kidnappings.

This is a Nigerian problem. US troops have no business being in Chad looking for Nigerian schoolgirls, while the Nigerian government can't get their **** together to prevent more kidnappings. Like I said, 1,500 African kids will die today from Malaria.

Muslim/Christian sectarian violence has been happening in Nigeria for several years now. Paying lip-service to a celebrity twitter campaign by sending troops to Chad isn't going to do a damn bit of good.

Obama also sent 100+ troops to Uganda for the #Kony2012 celebrity twitter campaign. Nothing happened.

Last edited by pricejj; 06-12-2014 at 11:59 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #58
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post


You're a real expert on foreign policy.

President Obama's speech formally declaring that the last 43,000 U.S. troops will leave Iraq by the end of the year was designed to mask an unpleasant truth: The troops aren't being withdrawn because the U.S. wants them out. They're leaving because the Iraqi government refused to let them stay.

Obama campaigned on ending the war in Iraq but had instead spent the past few months trying to extend it. A 2008 security deal between Washington and Baghdad called for all American forces to leave Iraq by the end of the year, but the White House -- anxious about growing Iranian influence and Iraq's continuing political and security challenges -- publicly and privately tried to sell the Iraqis on a troop extension. As recently as last week, the White House was trying to persuade the Iraqis to allow 2,000-3,000 troops to stay beyond the end of the year.

Those efforts had never really gone anywhere; One senior U.S. military official told National Journal last weekend that they were stuck at "first base" because of Iraqi reluctance to hold substantive talks.

That impasse makes Obama's speech at the White House on Friday less a dramatic surprise than simple confirmation of what had long been expected by observers of the moribund talks between the administration and the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, which believes its own security forces are more than up to the task of protecting the country from terror attacks originating within its borders or foreign incursions from neighboring countries.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-there/247174/

The Iraqis ordered us to leave and said they could handle it. We should never have gone in there in the first place. THAT was the biggest mistake, made by your hero, George W. Bush.
Easy there, Cheer Team Captain. I didn't blame Obama for the complete withdrawal. A big part of that was Bush's fault. And the Iraqis themselves.

If you'll read the article I posted, my concern with Obama was in neglecting direct Iraqi requests for air support. You know, the same kind of support we were giving Al Qaeda rebels in Libya for no particular reason.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #59
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

Balad is being evacuated too, a few troops and all of the remaining contractors that have been trying to train these clowns. Not too shabby for a JV basketball team.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #60
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Oh, now I see Obama sent 80 US troops to Chad on May 21st (3 weeks ago). About a month after one of the more recent kidnappings in a LONG string of kidnappings.

This is a Nigerian problem. US troops have no business being in Chad looking for Nigerian schoolgirls, while the Nigerian government can't get their **** together to prevent more kidnappings. Like I said, 1,500 African kids will die today from Malaria.

Muslim/Christian sectarian violence has been happening in Nigeria for several years now. Paying lip-service to a celebrity twitter campaign by sending troops to Chad isn't going to do a damn bit of good.

Obama also sent 100+ troops to Uganda for the #Kony2012 celebrity twitter campaign. Nothing happened.
Operations in the real world aren't wrapped up in 50 minutes like they are on TV. It takes time to establish creditable INTEL, sometimes years. And the countries of Eastern, Central, and Western Africa need Western assistance to help defeat the thugs.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #61
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Easy there, Cheer Team Captain. I didn't blame Obama for the complete withdrawal. A big part of that was Bush's fault. And the Iraqis themselves.

If you'll read the article I posted, my concern with Obama was in neglecting direct Iraqi requests for air support. You know, the same kind of support we were giving Al Qaeda rebels in Libya for no particular reason.
You posted "WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE LEFT IRAQ." It wasn't our choice. Spin it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #62
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,622

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You posted "WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE LEFT IRAQ." It wasn't our choice. Spin it.
Iraq is one of Obama's 'Great Achievements'


Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #63
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You posted "WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE LEFT IRAQ." It wasn't our choice. Spin it.
Yeah, we were just helpless bystanders in the country we invaded.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #64
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,693
Default

The failure of Obama to secure an agreement with the Iraqi govt was a policy failure. he gave up way too easy. Then if it's true that when the fighting started he would not help it just shows again this President hasn't the chops to handle what needs to be handled.

Obama is trainwreck of a President.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #65
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The failure of Obama to secure an agreement with the Iraqi govt was a policy failure. he gave up way too easy. Then if it's true that when the fighting started he would not help it just shows again this President hasn't the chops to handle what needs to be handled.

Obama is trainwreck of a President.
You really can't fault Obama completely. As is made clear here:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2..._not_the_surge

Quick withdrawal may have been Obama's blueprint, but Bush was the one that signed on the dotted line. The striking thing is how something that was so praised at the time turned out to be such an epic mistake.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #66
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Iraq is one of Obama's 'Great Achievements'


Ouch! A comment Obama fans wished didn't exist. What was the great accomplishment again?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #67
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You break it, you buy it. We should've never left Iraq. Even if it was just 20,000 in a few strategic locations. And we should be in Libya now as well.

The time for non-interventionism is before the intervention.
All american forces were mandated to withdraw from Iraq by Dec 31 2011under the terms of a bilateral agreement signed by Bush in 2008. As for occupying other countries, who is going to pay for it Mr conservative?
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #68
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The failure of Obama to secure an agreement with the Iraqi govt was a policy failure. he gave up way too easy. Then if it's true that when the fighting started he would not help it just shows again this President hasn't the chops to handle what needs to be handled.

Obama is trainwreck of a President.
You idiot,all of Hussein's troops were denied jobs when the new Iraqi gov was formed. They then joined ISIS.as usual you can't realize the disaster that your daddy dubya left in Iraq.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #69
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
All american forces were mandated to withdraw from Iraq by Dec 31 2011under the terms of a bilateral agreement signed by Bush in 2008. As for occupying other countries, who is going to pay for it Mr conservative?
You can't go plinking heads of state and then start bean counting. You've already decided to forgo the "fiscally conservative" route at that point.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #70
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, we were just helpless bystanders in the country we invaded.
So, you support a long term investment of American boots on the ground in Iraq. How many? How long?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #71
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Hmm, I thought Bush wanted the oil in Iraq? I guess the liberals have stopped using that one anymore. But he signed an agreement troops would be pulled from Iraq at a certain date and then Obama takes credit for doing it? Predictable. Instead he moves in more troops into Afghanistan, where the mission isn't defined and trades terrorists for a soldier who deserted probably because he saw no reason to be there other than to be shot at. The "real war" was Afghanistan according to Obama but now he seems to think this war is over by simply sending troops home. What was accomplished in Afghanistan with Obama's troop surge? The Taliban have quit fighting?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #72
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
So, you support a long term investment of American boots on the ground in Iraq. How many? How long?
We still have 25+- thousand in Korea fcol. Maybe a slightly smaller footprint in Iraq would be better, but like I think I already said, 20k or so. Enough to deter this kind of ragtag revolution fiasco, but not enough to interfere with day to day life in Iraq.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #73
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
We still have 25+- thousand in Korea fcol. Maybe a slightly smaller footprint in Iraq would be better, but like I think I already said, 20k or so. Enough to deter this kind of ragtag revolution fiasco, but not enough to interfere with day to day life in Iraq.
Ah. So you advocate a sixty year occupation of Iraq. 20,000 wouldn't do squat. Hell, we have 28,000 in SK, which is a tenth of the size of Iraq, if that. You'd need 100,000 minimum. Oh, and BTW, we are invited guests in SK. Iraq ordered us out. So you would want us to ignore that as well?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 06-13-2014 at 07:19 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #74
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Hmm, I thought Bush wanted the oil in Iraq? I guess the liberals have stopped using that one anymore. But he signed an agreement troops would be pulled from Iraq at a certain date and then Obama takes credit for doing it? Predictable. Instead he moves in more troops into Afghanistan, where the mission isn't defined and trades terrorists for a soldier who deserted probably because he saw no reason to be there other than to be shot at. The "real war" was Afghanistan according to Obama but now he seems to think this war is over by simply sending troops home. What was accomplished in Afghanistan with Obama's troop surge? The Taliban have quit fighting?
Well, at least you can say he found and killed OBL, something Bush always seemed a little too drunk to accomplish. But hey! Mission accomplished!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #75
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Ah. So you advocate a sixty year occupation of Iraq. 20,000 wouldn't do squat. Hell, we have 28,000 in SK, which is a tenth of the size of Iraq, if that. You'd need 100,000 minimum. Oh, and BTW, we are invited guests in SK. Iraq ordered us out. So you would want us to ignore that as well?
Well according to this

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-terror-jihadi

All hell is breaking loose at the hands of 10,000 men. So yeah, 20k equipped Americans with air support would crush anything resembling what we're seeing right now. In reality, we would've been conducting air strikes last November, as the Iraqis requested, and things would've never gotten anywhere near this far.

And read the article I posted earlier. It suggests Bush wanted to draw up a different type of agreement, with a more permanent presence, but he apparently decided to capitulate once Obama was elected.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 06-13-2014 at 07:25 AM..
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Denver Broncos