The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #76
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Solid rebuttal.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #77
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Solid rebuttal.
Up yours too Doc, how's that
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #78
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
One of these days, the teachers union will fork over the cash to have a trained security guard at every school (the schools that have security guards now, don't have problems).

Until then, they will steal as much money as they possibly can from taxpayers for their own retirement and healthcare.
Columbine had security guards, Virginia Tech had a a police force..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #79
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think dealing with gun violence in our society should be a two-fold approach. I believe in waiting periods and back ground checks as well as some kind of national data-base that tracks the sales of weapons. I also think we as country need to put more calories into identifying and treating mental illness.
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #80
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I wish people would seperate inner city criminals killing each other from mass shootings- they really are not a parallel comparison for the gun control debate.

Also, there seems to be a comfort zone in pushing the "dealing with mental illness" point as it relates to gun violence. People who are crazy enough to walk into a Mall and start shooting are not very likely to seek out mentall illness services- because they are indeed mentally ill. So when someone says "Its the Mental Health System", what are the proposals to change that- commit huge outlays to the Mental Health Services? Well, teh ACA did that 75 of the Nation hates that they have to carry non core medical benfits like Mental Health coverage. Liberalize the criteria for commitment, start setting aisde the right of people we "believe" to be dangerous, but are not?

Its interesting you say Politicians don't really give a sh*t about killing in Chicago- and mayeb that's true. but is the same just as true that Americans outwardly express outrage at Mass Shootings, but inside it didn't happen to them and they really don't care that much at the end of the day- but saying "our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families" just makes us feel better?

I am at the point where I would rather just hear people say "Guns are a right, we are not going to ban them, the violence is going to continue we we accept that"- I can actually live with that I think.
I'm not making a gun control debate. I'm answering the OP's question on why killings by guns are sensationalized and knives & cars are not. Simplified, because guns and their control are an easy political tool. I just used the underlying issues as an example of how complex the problem is, but the media & politicians always seem to go the easy route.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #81
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Not too shabby. It's like reading Jetmeck, but with a different spin on the punctuation.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #82
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
another solid take... you're on a roll homey.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #83
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Columbine had security guards, Virginia Tech had a a police force..
1. Chicago has a police force, and banned guns. Still one of the highest murder rates in the world.

2. Columbine's Security Guard Neil Gardner was eating lunch in his car at the time of the shooting, on the other side of the school. Still, he saved dozens of students lives after he heard the initial shots. Elementary/Middle/High Schools are single structures with a limited number of entrances. VERY easy to defend with metal detectors, and security guards.

3. My son's Elementary school has an armed Security Guard, and a locked single point of entry. Problem solved.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #84
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
I think dealing with gun violence in our society should be a two-fold approach. I believe in waiting periods and back ground checks as well as some kind of national data-base that tracks the sales of weapons. I also think we as country need to put more calories into identifying and treating mental illness.
Waiting periods and back ground checks? Why, that's taking people's rights away. They have the RIGHT to have a gun in their hands within a few seconds of the sale, they should not have to wait. They have the RIGHT to not have their background checked. They have the RIGHT to not have their name in some database. So some would believe anyway. Thank God like 90% of American's think as you and I do. Stronger background checks and waiting periods, and there are many from both party's who believe strongly in that.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #85
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
a national tracking database so that the government knows who owns what guns, right? Um, this has already happened.

Also, why don't you take this suggestion to Eric Holder! Or, are you ok with the feds selling guns to criminals and those guns coming back and being used to kill an American?

Again, people like you want to punish 99% of the law-abiding population for the heinous actions of a small group of individuals, and you want the government to be in charge. Yet this same government breaks laws when it's convinient for them to do so. Nah, no thanks. I trust the vast majority of law abiding citizens way more the the feds. Sure, in a free society you are going to have people abuse the system, but we already have laws for that, right?

It's like Obama in the Whitehouse who says he simply won't enforce certain laws because, well, he just doesn't want to. Whelp, you want me to trust HIM? Are you telling me to trust the idiots in DC who pick and choose what laws they will enforce and what laws they let slide?

No thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #86
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. Chicago has a police force, and banned guns. Still one of the highest murder rates in the world.

2. Columbine's Security Guard Neil Gardner was eating lunch in his car at the time of the shooting, on the other side of the school. Still, he saved dozens of students lives after he heard the initial shots. Elementary/Middle/High Schools are single structures with a limited number of entrances. VERY easy to defend with metal detectors, and security guards.

3. My son's Elementary school has an armed Security Guard, and a locked single point of entry. Problem solved.
That's because you can drive 15 minutes and go get a gun in Indiana. It simply has one of the higher murder rates because it's 3rd largest city in America. Now if you're talking gun violence, you're not looking at rates, you're looking at number of incidents, of course that will be higher with such a large population. There are many cities in the US that have a higher RATE of gun violence then Chicago (11.6%). Buffalo 16.5%, Baltimore 29.7%, New Orleans 62.1 %, Miami 23.7%, Washington 19%, and on and on.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #87
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Stupid / weak people actually believe that the government will provide safety in exchange for reduced individual liberty.

Last edited by Dr. Broncenstein; 06-12-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #88
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Waiting periods and back ground checks? Why, that's taking people's rights away. They have the RIGHT to have a gun in their hands within a few seconds of the sale, they should not have to wait. They have the RIGHT to not have their background checked. They have the RIGHT to not have their name in some database. So some would believe anyway. Thank God like 90% of American's think as you and I do. Stronger background checks and waiting periods, and there are many from both party's who believe strongly in that.
Well, I think it should be at least be as hard to buy a gun as it is buy some allergy medicine... you know the good **** they keep behind the counter.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #89
pricejj
jungle

Matter of fact, the Columbine Security guard had to drive around the school to engage the shooters. He engaged them at 60 yards away, and they ducked into the school.

You would think by now ALL schools would at least have metal detectors and locked, single point entries, which alone would have prevented Columbine/Newtown...with or without a Security Guard.

Meanwhile greedy Teacher's Unions are taking away PE and school buses so they can stack more cash in their retirement funds, and to pay for ever-skyrocketing health care costs. Their priorities are completely backwards.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #90
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Stupid / weak people actually believe that the government will provide a safety in exchange for reduced individual liberty.
You want to know the ONLY way our government could become so powerful, the people should be concerned? The only way that happens is if we become a full blown Plutocracy. Yet, you keep voting to give the richest people and corporations more power, you give them less and less regulations, while you hammer the working class and poor and strip their rights. Yes, it's a fat chance this government would ever take over with the middle class and poor having an equal amount of control over government. This government would and could only turn on us is if the most powerful and wealthy keep continuing to give themselves advantages over the other 99%. So who is stupid and weak now? News to you dude, you're not in the 1%, you're going down with the rest of us.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #91
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
You want to know the ONLY way our government could become so powerful, the people should be concerned? The only way that happens is if we become a full blown Plutocracy. Yet, you keep voting to give the richest people and corporations more power, you give them less and less regulations, while you hammer the working class and poor and strip their rights. Yes, it's a fat chance this government would ever take over with the middle class and poor having an equal amount of control over government. This government would and could only turn on us is if the most powerful and wealthy keep continuing to give themselves advantages over the other 99%. So who is stupid and weak now? News to you dude, you're not in the 1%, you're going down with the rest of us.
Stupid / weak. Tell me another cool story about how more government is going to make you feel safe.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #92
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
No he won't, he's gotta basement full of assault rifles that's gonna buy him at least five more seconds than the rest of us before some drone takes him out like the little-wanna-be Talaban he is.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #93
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Stupid / weak. Tell me another cool story about how more government is going to make you feel safe.
Your ilk only seems to have issues with the government when there is a Democratic president. As I recall about ten years ago folks like you labled me a traitor if I dared to suggest that the Iraq War was a mistake.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #94
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
For a democracy to work the population first has to be educated. In the USA, our educational system is broke and it's also divided and political. Only an "educated" population can overcome a overbearing, meddling and broke federal bureaucracy. You are correct in that the feds are slaves to the powerful lobbys, but the only way to change that is to vote those people out, and have things like term limits in congress (which will never happen because congress works for congress and it's a country club mentality).

The middle class is what makes the USA the greatest nation on the planet and as far as I can see, Obama has not helped the middle class one iota. In fact, he's weakening the middle class with just about every decision he makes.

The middle class is dependent on three very intrumental things: a functioning educational system that allows the lower classes to work their way up (this is broke for the most part in America), a priority on families to stay together (one father, one mother as these two conjoined always increase the families' wealth where as single parents do not) and a population that cares about its leadership (and this is broke too, look at Obama's corrupt administration).

Also, the media has to be objective in its reporting. This too is broke. The liberal media props up its candidates, see Obama.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 06-12-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #95
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
No he won't, he's gotta basement full of assault rifles that's gonna buy him at least five more seconds than the rest of us before some drone takes him out like the little-wanna-be Talaban he is.
Explain to me why a law-abiding US citizen should be concerned at all about a drone strike? Also, what specifically about embracing individual liberty makes someone a wanna-be terrorist? Not that I'm at all surprised that you think this way, but it is fascinating nonetheless.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #96
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Explain to me why a law-abiding US citizen should be concerned at all about a drone strike? Also, what specifically about embracing individual liberty makes someone a wanna-be terrorist? Not that I'm at all surprised that you think this way, but it is fascinating nonetheless.
You absolutly shouldn't be concerned about a drone strike, I was just playing in your deluded gun fanatasy in which you justify the need to be armed to the teeth in order to 'protect' yourself from your perception (aka a Democratic president) of a tyrannical governement.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #97
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
You absolutly shouldn't be concerned about a drone strike, I was just playing in your deluded gun fanatasy in which you justify the need to be armed to the teeth in order to 'protect' yourself from your perception (aka a Democratic president) of a tyrannical governement.
So basically you are making things up, imagining a ridiculous scenario where a law-abiding US citizen is drone struck in his home on US soil for being a wanna-be terrorist, and accusing me of living in a delusional fantasy. It's entertaining, I'll give you that.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #98
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
So basically you are making things up, imagining a ridiculous scenario where a law-abiding US citizen is drone struck in his home on US soil for being a wanna-be terrorist, and accusing me of living in a delusional fantasy. It's entertaining, I'll give you that.
I'm not making things up at all, I'm simply trying to color inside of the lines of what you precieve as 'individual liberty' based off of your previous posts.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #99
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Your ilk only seems to have issues with the government when there is a Democratic president. As I recall about ten years ago folks like you labled me a traitor if I dared to suggest that the Iraq War was a mistake.
Tell me more about Libya, Egypt, Syria, Yemen, Ukraine, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Uganda.

Tell me more about how none of those wars are mistakes, since we haven't heard a single peep from you regarding those conflicts. Hypocrite.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #100
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
I'm not making things up at all, I'm simply trying to color inside of the lines of what you precieve as 'individual liberty' based off of your previous posts.
You need a crayon sharpener and nap.