The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Guns ?

There was another school shooting yesterday here in Oregon.

Why is it when someone gets shot with a gun it's the guns fault but it they get hit with a car or stabbed with a knife it's the person fault ect...?

I just don't get it. Look forward to your input.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,016

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Too obvious.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,259
Default

I have two rifles and a handgun, but don't own an assault weapon, because so far I have no need to commit mass murder.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I have two rifles and a handgun, but don't own an assault weapon, because so far I have no need to commit mass murder.
It does have to be an assault riffle . If a gun that is used it's the guns fault.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Troll
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,306

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I have two rifles and a handgun, but don't own an assault weapon, because so far I have no need to commit mass murder.
I am in the same boat. Rifle from the one time I went hunting, and a handgun for safety in the home.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

We've had a billion + 1 debates on this here at the mane. Frankly, I'm exhausted talking about this issue.

My stance is the same. Assault rifles have no place in the hands of normal American's. You want to own a hand gun, a shot gun, a hunting gun, fine. I have a few of those myself. I don't think you need to bring your gun into places of business to freak out all the customers. Mass shootings are of course the fault of the person shooting more then anything else. Guns don't shoot themselves. Gun deaths will always be a part of society. Let's just try and make owning a gun and getting a gun more responsible by having background checks and I wouldn't mind having some sort of registration process and annual or bi-annual certification that you can still operate it safely, and that the gun itself is safe, and that the person shooting it hasn't gone off the deep end. I think assault rifles would be fine if controlled and secured by approved firing ranges. You could go into one, rent it for a few hours and shoot it there, but the gun stays THERE.

Last edited by ZONA; 06-11-2014 at 12:37 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I am in the same boat. Rifle from the one time I went hunting, and a handgun for safety in the home.
My question is why is it the guns fault if its a gun and the persons fault if it's anything else.

This has nothing to do with what kind of gun it is.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I have two rifles and a handgun, but don't own an assault weapon, because so far I have no need to commit mass murder.
This is what is legally defines an assault weapon...it's relatively arbitrary....there's a good chance your handgun may even qualify and you didn't realize it.


Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.


I find it interesting that people assume an "assault weapon" is a machine gun. Those are illegal without very strict permits.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
We've had a billion + 1 debates on this here at the mane. Frankly, I'm exhausted talking about this issue.

My stance is the same. Assault rifles have no place in the hands of normal American's. You want to own a hand gun, a shot gun, a hunting gun, fine. I have a few of those myself. I don't think you need to bring your gun into places of business to freak out all the customers. Mass shootings are of course the fault of the person shooting more then anything else. Guns don't shoot themselves. Gun deaths will always be a part of society. Let's just try and make owning a gun and getting a gun more responsible by having background checks and I wouldn't mind having some sort of registration process and annual or bi-annual certification that you can still operate it safely, and that the gun itself is safe, and that the person shooting it hasn't gone off the deep end. I think assault rifles would be fine if controlled and secured by approved firing ranges. You could go into one, rent it for a few hours and shoot it there, but the gun stays THERE.

I agree with this but what I am asking is why when someone gets stabbed there is not a huge movement to ban Knives ?
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
T
Why is it when someone gets shot with a gun it's the guns fault but it they get hit with a car...
I don't weigh in a political threads because it is pointless. That being said,it drives me crazy when people think they are being clever with the "CARS KILL MORE PEOPLE - BAN CARS" nonsense.

The automobile's primary design purpose is for transportation. A guns primary design purpose is as a weapon.

That is the difference. To postulate on argument based on ignoring this is intellectually dishonest.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
My question is why is it the guns fault if its a gun and the persons fault if it's anything else.

This has nothing to do with what kind of gun it is.
Because a gun is made to kill. No other object found in an ordinary household is purely designed to kill. Knives are made for crafting, cooking and similar activities, as are scissors, chainsaws, cars, pianowire and baseball bats.

You don't buy a gun thinking, well this will really be excellent paperweight or this will make it a lot easier to make holes if I ever need to drill in some 10 mm woodscrews. You get a gun because you want to be able to kill people or animals, that is really all it is good for.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I don't weigh in a political threads because it is pointless. That being said,it drives me crazy when people think they are being clever with the "CARS KILL MORE PEOPLE - BAN CARS" nonsense.

The automobile's primary design purpose is for transportation. A guns primary design purpose is as a weapon.

That is the difference. To postulate on argument based on ignoring this is intellectually dishonest.
How's that ? A car is a weapon and even if you take cars out of it what about Knives ? It's a simple question that everyone has an excuse for but no one can answer.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Because a gun is made to kill. No other object found in an ordinary household is purely designed to kill. Knives are made for crafting, cooking and similar activities, as are scissors, chainsaws, cars, pianowire and baseball bats.

You don't buy a gun thinking, well this will really be excellent paperweight or this will make it a lot easier to make holes if I ever need to drill in some 10 mm woodscrews. You get a gun because you want to be able to kill people or animals, that is really all it is good for.
There are plenty of knives made just for killing .
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,870

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Because a gun is made to kill. No other object found in an ordinary household is purely designed to kill. Knives are made for crafting, cooking and similar activities, as are scissors, chainsaws, cars, pianowire and baseball bats.

You don't buy a gun thinking, well this will really be excellent paperweight or this will make it a lot easier to make holes if I ever need to drill in some 10 mm woodscrews. You get a gun because you want to be able to kill people or animals, that is really all it is good for.
I thought they were for sport hunting and target competitions and such too. Guess they are only for killing school kids.

A gun protects my family. Something I'm dam thankful it's good for.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,259
Default

That guy in Connecticut might have had some trouble stabbing 20 some 6 year olds to death. Or mowing them down with his car.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
How's that ? A car is a weapon
So you are saying an automobile is designed, manufactured and marketed as a weapon?
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,870

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
That guy in Connecticut might have had some trouble stabbing 20 some 6 year olds to death. Or mowing them down with his car.
Meh. That china man had no problem killing 33 with a knife.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
That guy in Connecticut might have had some trouble stabbing 20 some 6 year olds to death. Or mowing them down with his car.
I would disagree on both counts. Example some wackjob in a truck decides to take a left and go through a school play yard at lunch. The totals would be much worse then what you described.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
So you are saying an automobile is designed, manufactured and marketed as a weapon?
Could be, its all in how you look at it.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,870

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
So you are saying an automobile is designed, manufactured and marketed as a weapon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (117.7 KB, 363 views)
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,259
Default

Pathetic.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #23
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I thought they were for sport hunting and target competitions and such too. Guess they are only for killing school kids.

A gun protects my family. Something I'm dam thankful it's good for.
You guys are being obtuse about this. gyldenlove just echoed what I said without passing judgment. The difference, which is what the original question was, is that the Gun's primary design utility is as a weapon. Whether to kill game or the bad guys. That is the difference.

The other argument about access, gun control, etc I don't participate in. However, I do recommend that if your argument is "CARS KILL PEOPLE TOO" you get a new one because, for the above-mentioned reason, it is a really ****ty argument.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,870

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
You guys are being obtuse about this. gyldenlove just echoed what I said without passing judgment. The difference, which is what the original question was, is that the Gun's primary design utility is as a weapon. Whether to kill game or the bad guys. That is the difference.

The other argument about access, gun control, etc I don't participate in. However, I do recommend that if your argument is "CARS KILL PEOPLE TOO" you get a new one because, for the above-mentioned reason, it is a really ****ty argument.
I'm not in full agreement of the OP.

But since I've been shot twice I have some experience in who to blame. And I didn't blame the guns used.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

http://www.columbiamissouricaraccide...injured-w.html


Here is one example I found. You are all just backing up my point. If someone shoots someone its the guns fault. But other then that it was just the foolish person.


Within the next 24 hours, an average 460 people will receive emergency room medical treatment for traffic-related pedestrian injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Within the next two hours, a pedestrian will be killed in a traffic crash.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Denver Broncos