The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #26
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 4,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
You are better of just sticking solar panels next to the road. Driving on this solar glass panel, is beyond stupid.
thank you Mav..I agree...solar panels are generated by the sun...wouldn't work to well after sun down or on a cloudy day...
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
You are better of just sticking solar panels next to the road. Driving on this solar glass panel, is beyond stupid.

That guy actually mentions that in the video. He also had an idea for using them in parking lots. They would provide energy as well as protecting cars from the sun.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #28
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine
 
Kevin8Nine's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 850

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Actually most of what he wrote is common knowledge with regards to glass. Tempered glass is tempered glass. The properties for the different types of glass are well known. Glass wears out faster than rock. Asphalt gets more rough as it ages witch increases traction. Glass is the opposite. These guys didn't invent a new glass.


You are correct sir.

I used to have a jeep wrangler, and I went through 4 different windshields before I did some research on some special poly carbonates. The special windshields are rock proof and incredibly strong. But, illegal because If you got into a crash, they cant break the glass to get you out. Perhaps something like this with a grippy texture could be a solution?
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #29
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
That guy actually mentions that in the video. He also had an idea for using them in parking lots. They would provide energy as well as protecting cars from the sun.
It's made of recycled glass. GLASS. That **** is not going to hold up getting pounded daily by multi ton vehicles. What about dirt, oil, grease, etc that coat the panels? And to top it off you have micro processors /motherboards underneath them. This is a maintenance disaster.

Parking lots are meant to be used by cars? Wouldn't it make more sense to just stick the solar panels on top of Home Depot instead of using the parking lots that are covered by autos during the day?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #30
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
thank you Mav..I agree...solar panels are generated by the sun...wouldn't work to well after sun down or on a cloudy day...
And not all road surfaces are angled perfectly to grab peak rays.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #31
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
It's made of recycled glass. GLASS. That **** is not going to hold up getting pounded daily by multi ton vehicles. What about dirt, oil, grease, etc that coat the panels? And to top it off you have micro processors /motherboards underneath them. This is a maintenance disaster.

Parking lots are meant to be used by cars? Wouldn't it make more sense to just stick the solar panels on top of Home Depot instead of using the parking lots that are covered by autos during the day?

Actually none here know if what you say is true or false. We should be careful to not dismiss an idea without investigation. No?

There was a time not so long ago that no body thought man could fly.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #32
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
You are correct sir.

I used to have a jeep wrangler, and I went through 4 different windshields before I did some research on some special poly carbonates. The special windshields are rock proof and incredibly strong. But, illegal because If you got into a crash, they cant break the glass to get you out. Perhaps something like this with a grippy texture could be a solution?
It's not the big single impact that is the problem. It's the micro-abrasive properties and wear and tear that would smooth out the surface. Glass is just not a great material to drive around on.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
It's made of recycled glass. GLASS. That **** is not going to hold up getting pounded daily by multi ton vehicles. What about dirt, oil, grease, etc that coat the panels? And to top it off you have micro processors /motherboards underneath them. This is a maintenance disaster.

Parking lots are meant to be used by cars? Wouldn't it make more sense to just stick the solar panels on top of Home Depot instead of using the parking lots that are covered by autos during the day?
In the video posted by the OP, the idea is to have the tiles placed on the ground in every road, driveway, and parking area.

In the video I posted, the author suggests that a more practical use for solar panels would be something like this:

mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #34
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Actually none here know if what you say is true or false. We should be careful to not dismiss an idea without investigation. No?

There was a time not so long ago that no body thought man could fly.

Salesman: "I'll sell you a balloon made of lead that can fly for 1 million dollars."

Customer: "I don't know ...lead is kinda heavy, isn't it?

Salesman: "Sure. But if you give me a million dollars I can fix it."

Customer: "SOLD!"



If they can find some way of making it work, great. But they seem to be peddling bull****. Saving energy and saving the environment are laudable goals, but you have to back things up with science and actually be feasible.

Last edited by mennonite; 06-07-2014 at 08:51 PM..
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #35
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's not the big single impact that is the problem. It's the micro-abrasive properties and wear and tear that would smooth out the surface. Glass is just not a great material to drive around on.
That concern (traction on glass) is so obvious that if the issue had not been solved the project would have died on the drawing board. They mention there has been approval to try it out on a section of road near Sand Point ID. Doubt they would do that if they were not confident they would not have a slippery slide on their hands.

This is the failing of the OP video in that it did not address these obvious concerns.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #36
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That concern (traction on glass) is so obvious that if the issue had not been solved the project would have died on the drawing board.

mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #37
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Salesman: "I'll sell you a balloon made of lead that can fly for 1 million dollars."

Customer: "I don't know ...lead is kinda heavy, isn't it?

Salesman: "Sure. But if you give me a million dollars I can fix it."

Customer: "SOLD!"



If they can find some way of making it work, great. But they seem to be peddling bull****. Saving energy and saving the environment are laudable goals, but you have to back things up with science and actually be feasible.

One point made in the video is the claim there is approval to try the panels on a section of road in ID.

I have the same concerns as you but what is obvious to me is neither one of us have enough information to determine the usefulness of this product.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #38
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
One point made in the video is the claim there is approval to try the panels on a section of road in ID.

I have the same concerns as you but what is obvious to me is neither one of us have enough information to determine the usefulness of this product.

I am a skeptical person. If you want to convince me of something you have to show me some kind of proof. If someone tells me leprechauns exist it isn't my job to prove that they don't. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

And this doesn't pass the smell test for me. "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" are words to live by.



"I have a good job." "I own my own home." "I'm best friends with Elvis."


Someone tells you three facts in order to convince you of something. They swear that they are telling the incontrovertible truth. Now the first two facts are about subjects you know nothing about but they seem like they could be plausible. The third fact concerns a subject about which you are extremely knowledgeable. You know this third fact is BS. Do you say "I know he's lying about this, but he sounds like he's telling the truth about the rest of it?" No. You should realize that this person is trying to mislead you.


While I'm not an expert an all of the scientific fields mentioned here, I can understand some of them. They are promising a dozen different wonderful results from these solar panels. If i can tell that 2 of those aren't possible, why should i assume that the other parts are true?
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #39
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
I am a skeptical person. If you want to convince me of something you have to show me some kind of proof. If someone tells me leprechauns exist it isn't my job to prove that they don't. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

And this doesn't pass the smell test for me. "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" are words to live by.



"I have a good job." "I own my own home." "I'm best friends with Elvis."


Someone tells you three facts in order to convince you of something. They swear that they are telling the incontrovertible truth. Now the first two facts are about subjects you know nothing about but they seem like they could be plausible. The third fact concerns a subject about which you are extremely knowledgeable. You know this third fact is BS. Do you say "I know he's lying about this, but he sounds like he's telling the truth about the rest of it?" No. You should realize that this person is trying to mislead you.


While I'm not an expert an all of the scientific fields mentioned here, I can understand some of them. They are promising a dozen different wonderful results from these solar panels. If i can tell that 2 of those aren't possible, why should i assume that the other parts are true?

I not selling stock and I'm not buying right now either.

I suppose my point here is mankind has painted itself into a very small corner and IMO it is going to take either a dramatic breakthrough in technology or an expansion of awareness to manage the latest evolutionary hurdle. In short I think we are going to have to do something spectacular to get out of this one.

Not saying this is it but we sure need something on this magnitude
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #40
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,524

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

If the OMane says it can't be done, then it can't be done, damn it.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #41
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I not selling stock and I'm not buying right now either.

I suppose my point here is mankind has painted itself into a very small corner and IMO it is going to take either a dramatic breakthrough in technology or an expansion of awareness to manage the latest evolutionary hurdle. In short I think we are going to have to do something spectacular to get out of this one.

Not saying this is it but we sure need something on this magnitude


There are a lot of times in life when you face a crisis and think "Well, I have to do something." And you just make a decision out of desperation. Sometimes it works, but it usually doesn't. On the other hand, there have been plenty of rimes when I suffered from "paralysis by analysis" where I wait too long trying to come up with the best solution. Not good. But I still have to say that it is better by far to take your time and try to make the most rational, least emotional decision.

What you have to look out for during these moments of crisis is someone offering the answer to all of your problems. Desperation leads to gullibility. Crooked politicians, televangelists, quack doctors, and con men make their living preying off hopeless people.

Last edited by mennonite; 06-07-2014 at 10:01 PM..
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #42
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 4,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
If the OMane says it can't be done, then it can't be done, damn it.
who ever said the OM could not build Rome in a day..
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #43
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Told 'em it wouldn't work.

mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #44
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I think it's absolutely a step in the right direction. However, I do not think replacing roads with this technology is the right way to go, not just yet. First they should start with parking lots. There's millions of parking lots across this nation. Parking lots don't have high speed traffic, and therefore would be a safe way to go, to experiment on. You can rest assured, if you can make money on this, corporations will give it a go. You still keep the asphalt companies in business because they still get to build and fix the roads.

I don't see this as a viable option for roads right now and it doesn't matter if it was. If it actually did create 3X the amount of energy we use right now, you can rest assured all the rich people in high places, politicians, big oil, would kill this in a heart beat. They have America hooked on oil and coal and moving away from that is a long long ways away I'm afraid.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #45
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
I am a skeptical person. If you want to convince me of something you have to show me some kind of proof. If someone tells me leprechauns exist it isn't my job to prove that they don't. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
I take it you're an Athiest? Nothing wrong with that but there's no proof of God either.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #46
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nćstved, DK
Posts: 11,167

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I take it you're an Athiest? Nothing wrong with that but there's no proof of God either.
Outside of mathematics and the less esoteric forms of formal logic there are no proofs of anything - just evidence of various reliability.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #47
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,854
Default

Got of love the fact the Omane can decide the fact of US future energy production on two crappy Youtube videos.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #48
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
It's insanely expensive. The entire budget of the US government wouldn't begin to cover the cost.

The math doesn't add up. It couldn't produce nearly enough energy to melt snow like it promises.

The material it is made of wouldn't be durable enough to withstand the stress of traffic.

The material wouldn't provide enough grip for speeding cars when wet.

The idea of solar powered parking lots makes no sense. The sun would be blocked by parked cars during the day and there is no sun at night.

They also mention using this system to "power America" by using undergoround power lines. Well, underground powerlines cost ten times as much as the traditional method. And it would also create a redundant and less efficient power grid/highway system.

Asphalt is already recycled. This is one I can vouch for. One of my old friends used to manage a plant that did this for a company called Rogers Group.

LED lights on roads makes no sense. They would be invisible during bright daylight hours. And having headlights on cars is much more efficient at night.

And so on and so forth.

It really is a pretty interesting video. makes me wish I paid more attention in science class.
Thanks for that.

It is an interesting idea that could work. The positives are that roads are being repaired / replaced every day already. If they could get the economics to work this could be an interesting idea. I agree at the moment there are way to many holes for this to be viable. When they develop some kind of solar cell that can be painted on then they may have something.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #49
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,662

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

It depends of what interest rate the Chinese will charge us?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #50
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
It depends of what interest rate the Chinese will charge us?
Not to worry they will take payment in title to National Parks and such things.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Denver Broncos