The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default Solar highways and Parking Lots

Could melt snow and warn you of animals or obstructions in the road ahead.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

AWESOME!! Thanks for posting...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love it.

1. It would have to be tested for a number of years in a number of climates and locations. ie: Exposure to the heat in death valley 128 degrees for 12 hours a day, or the brutal winters of the northeast.

2. It would have to be strong enough to withstand the weight of semi trucks transporting very heavy loads, such as military equipment. ie: A fully loaded 18 wheeler going full speed and slamming on the brakes.

3. It would have to be tamper proof to prevent hacking and to prevent criminals from stealing the components.

4. It will have to prove it is durable, reliable and long lasting enough to make it cost efficient.

5. Most importantly. Depending on the design, it would most likely still need a flat surface, such as concrete to be placed upon, otherwise the earth beneath it will naturally move and rains will washout beneath it.
So it will still need to be surveyed, packed down, and have concrete or asphalt as a base.

That being said. It is absolutely brilliant. I love it. Very futuristic and just plain cool. Really love the changeable basketball court idea.

Good post. +1

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 06-07-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Kevin8Nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

It was reported in the local news that they're going to test this on a section of highway in Sandpoint, Idaho. This area gets quite a bit of snow in the winter, so if the new technology really is able to use solar energy to melt the snow and ice, it will be a Godsend for driving in the winter.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

A few things:

1) Looks to be very bumpy
2) I am sure the unions that currently put concrete or tar won't be happy if they can't replace as much as currently. They have fought having recycled rubber from tires being part of the highway in Arizona so I can see them figuring out how to b**** about it.
3) Warn you of animals? Seems it would be a great way for poachers to hunt animals!

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 06-07-2014 at 02:32 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
A few things:

1) Looks to be very bumpy
2) I am sure the unions that currently put concrete or tar won't be happy if they can't replace as much as currently. They have fought having recycled rubber from tires being part of the highway in Arizona so I can see them figuring out how to b**** about it.
3) Warn you of animals? Seems it would be a great way for poachers to hunt animals!
Infrastructure is about the only good jobs we can't export, make it happen. Let the asphalt guys retrain or go the way of the blacksmith.

BTW is blacksmith a racist term under the new PC guidelines?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think it sounds very interesting, but I really really hate that presentation. 1) because it was made by a retard. 2) Because it promises you the moon. Which automatically sets off my "too good to be true" alarm.

I think this is very likely a bunch of bull****. I think it is equally likely that the people selling this are going to be very rich very soon.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
I think it sounds very interesting, but I really really hate that presentation. 1) because it was made by a retard. 2) Because it promises you the moon. Which automatically sets off my "too good to be true" alarm.

I think this is very likely a bunch of bull****. I think it is equally likely that the people selling this are going to be very rich very soon.
I did not like the presentation either. It's up there with Ghost Busters. Would not let kids watch.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
jutang
Pro Bowler

Once self driving cars are a hit the market (? 10-15yrs) this thing becomes obsolete.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Here is an interesting video that gives several reasons why this idea is...impractical...to say the least.

Molly wopped by science.

It's a pipedream at best. A scam at worst.

Last edited by mennonite; 06-07-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Old 06-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

I like the idea but it would never have a return investment.
Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
I like the idea but it would never have a return investment.

How about 350,000,000 electricity users
Old 06-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Once self driving cars are a hit the market (? 10-15yrs) this thing becomes obsolete.
Self driving cars are going to power the future?
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think you let private entities try this out before you let the govt start replacing roads with it. Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots, determine their reliability, durability, and sustainability before trying to replace public roads. Walmart is moving strongly towards solar power and this would also save them money and make them an attractive place to shop in northern climates.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots
During the day parking lots are full of cars so how do the the solar panels get charged? And at night the parking lots are empty, but there is no sun.

I highly recommend watching the video I posted above. It's actually pretty interesting.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
During the day parking lots are full of cars so how do the the solar panels get charged? And at night the parking lots are empty, but there is no sun.

I highly recommend watching the video I posted above. It's actually pretty interesting.
28 min of video on something I am not that vested in. Can you summarize it for us. I am on my way to the couch to watch a movie. Couch plus movie is winning out.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
28 min of video on something I am not that vested in. Can you summarize it for us. I am on my way to the couch to watch a movie. Couch plus movie is winning out.
It's insanely expensive. The entire budget of the US government wouldn't begin to cover the cost.

The math doesn't add up. It couldn't produce nearly enough energy to melt snow like it promises.

The material it is made of wouldn't be durable enough to withstand the stress of traffic.

The material wouldn't provide enough grip for speeding cars when wet.

The idea of solar powered parking lots makes no sense. The sun would be blocked by parked cars during the day and there is no sun at night.

They also mention using this system to "power America" by using undergoround power lines. Well, underground powerlines cost ten times as much as the traditional method. And it would also create a redundant and less efficient power grid/highway system.

Asphalt is already recycled. This is one I can vouch for. One of my old friends used to manage a plant that did this for a company called Rogers Group.

LED lights on roads makes no sense. They would be invisible during bright daylight hours. And having headlights on cars is much more efficient at night.

And so on and so forth.

It really is a pretty interesting video. makes me wish I paid more attention in science class.

Last edited by mennonite; 06-07-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Here is an interesting video that gives several reasons why this idea is...impractical...to say the least.

I was going to bring some of this up. Asphalt is cheap, recycled and can be shaped because it's poured. It also has give because it's mixed with tar so absorbs kinetic energy as you move over it. It's great for new roads and great for fixing old roads. And traction on glass is terrible. A rain storm would result in mass destruction and death on the highway. And since roads aren't flat, they curve and bend to contour to the landscape, trying fit all these perfectly flat pieces of glass together would be a nightmare.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

I've heard of this b4.

TERRIBLE idea.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
It's insanely expensive. The entire budget of the US government wouldn't begin to cover the cost.

The math doesn't add up. It couldn't produce nearly enough energy to melt snow like it promises.

The material it is made of wouldn't be durable enough to withstand the stress of traffic.

The idea of solar powered parking lots makes no sense. The sun would be blocked by parked cars during the day and there is no sun at night.

They also mention using this system to "power America" by using undergoround power lines. Well, underground powerlines cost ten times as much as the traditional method. And it would also create a redundant and less efficient power grid/highway system.

Asphalt is already recycled. This is one I can vouch for. One of my old friends used to manage a plant that did this for a company called Rogers Group.

LED lights on roads makes no sense. They would be invisible during bright daylight hours. And having headlights on cars is much more efficient at night.

And so on and so forth.

It really is a pretty interesting video. makes me wish I paid more attention in science class.

But.....Tron.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

There are ways around this. With a product that can pay for itself and actually make money. Especially with a product that could potentially replace some billion dollar power plants.

It definitely possible. Depending on the type of storage for the power, also if it is tied into the grid the power could come from a place where there is sun shining. Actually kinda harmonious if you think about it.

I dont see how you know enough about the product to claim this. It very well might have more longevity than current road materials. Also each individual unit cover could be replaced over time as it wears, melted down, and recycled.

Again, you don't know this. It could provide more traction for all you know. But I digress, this could definitely be an issue if they cant find a good material and texture.

Agreed. Plus this could cause some businesses to close off their parking lots to produce more energy.

I'll be honest with you. I didn't realize this until you said it. The lights would be hard to see during sunshine. Plus I'm sure cars would still use headlights regardless.

And so on and so forth.

I don't think you know enough about the product to act like you'are nostra-freaking-damus

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 06-07-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Kevin8Nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Has the word Solar in it, can't work. Give me some coal powered roads.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #23
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post

I don't think you know enough about the product to act like you'are nostra-freaking-damus
Actually most of what he wrote is common knowledge with regards to glass. Tempered glass is tempered glass. The properties for the different types of glass are well known. Glass wears out faster than rock. Asphalt gets more rough as it ages witch increases traction. Glass is the opposite. These guys didn't invent a new glass.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Actually most of what he wrote is common knowledge with regards to glass. Tempered glass is tempered glass. The properties for the different types of glass are well known. Glass wears out faster than rock. Asphalt gets more rough as it ages witch increases traction. Glass is the opposite. These guys didn't invent a new glass.
You are better of just sticking solar panels next to the road. Driving on this solar glass panel, is beyond stupid.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I've heard of this b4.

TERRIBLE idea.

The idea it self is fine. Can it be implemented on a wide scale, who knows. It's a work in progress. We are gonna need something like that to pull ourselves out of the morass.

Will technology save us or be the death of us?