The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default Orlando Franklin is going to KICK ASS this year

Report: Orlando Franklin Thriving At Left Guard

In his most recent piece, the excellent Cecil Lammey made a very encouraging observation about Orlando Franklin and his switch from right tackle to left guard. In OTAs, Franklin is taking the bull by the horns so to speak. Sounds like left guard is definitely his job to lose.

Offensive Coordinator, Adam Gase, had this to say, regarding what type of technique Franklin must work on and perfect, in order to be an excellent left guard:

“We talk about it all the time and [G] Louis [Vasquez] does a great job of this as far as just your pad level. We just want to make sure these guys aren’t standing straight up and getting pushed back. It is a little less physical than what you expect, but you can do the little things right: your footwork, and just the way that you come off the ball, where it’s in a safe manner, but at the same time, you can show that you know what you’re supposed to do.” Gase concluded, “And then a lot of our stuff is assignment. ‘Hey, be right on what you’re supposed to do.’”

I’ve been a vehement supporter of the Broncos moving Franklin to left guard, since the off-season began. He’s a natural mauler. Although he’s worked on it and improved since he was drafted, he doesn’t have the quickest, or smoothest footwork, which is paramount on the outside. Especially when asked to take on quick twitch, explosive edge rushers and block them at the point of attack and keep them from collapsing the pocket, or bending the edge.

Rest of article right here →→ http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/...ng-left-guard/
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
This new juxtaposition on the offensive line is sure to make the Broncos’ running game a formidable weapon in 2014. Franklin, Manny Ramirez and Louis Vasquez are quite the beefy, nasty triumvirate to blast open holes inside for Montee Ball and keep Peyton Manning from getting pressure in his face.
That is a nasty threesome. Very physical, strange now because both tackles are finesse players and the three interior lineman are brawlers. The inside running game could thrive this year.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

I just read that and one thing that popped out was less physical. Why would you want to be less physical ? Why not learn to do the little things right and be more physical ?

“We talk about it all the time and [G] Louis [Vasquez] does a great job of this as far as just your pad level. We just want to make sure these guys aren’t standing straight up and getting pushed back. It is a little less physical than what you expect, but you can do the little things right: your footwork, and just the way that you come off the ball, where it’s in a safe manner, but at the same time, you can show that you know what you’re supposed to do.” Gase concluded, “And then a lot of our stuff is assignment. ‘Hey, be right on what you’re supposed to do.’”
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
That is a nasty threesome. Very physical, strange now because both tackles are finesse players and the three interior lineman are brawlers. The inside running game could thrive this year.
With Manning at QB our running game will be secondary until he is gone.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This article was brought up in another thread, but there's nothing happening yet to indicate that Franklin will be able "KICK ASS" at left guard. The article is stupid because they are forbidden from engaging in contact, so how do they know he's "thriving?" Because he pulls his rubber-bands in the gym really well? Because he keeps his mental assignments? I bet you I could "play" guard really well if we weren't allowed to make contact with each other.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This article was brought up in another thread, but there's nothing happening yet to indicate that Franklin will be able "KICK ASS" at left guard. The article is stupid because they are forbidden from engaging in contact, so how do they know he's "thriving?" Because he pulls his rubber-bands in the gym really well? Because he keeps his mental assignments? I bet you I could "play" guard really well if we weren't allowed to make contact with each other.
True, we have hope he'll do great, but there's nothing happening right now to know either way.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I just read that and one thing that popped out was less physical. Why would you want to be less physical ? Why not learn to do the little things right and be more physical ?

You can't have your guard on one level and your tackle yards behind him or stunts will eat you up. Thus your guard can't fire off and be physical in pass pro.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
You can't have your guard on one level and your tackle yards behind him or stunts will eat you up. Thus your guard can't fire off and be physical in pass pro.

Franklin is all about power though right ?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:

A little hyperbole for the offseason

He looks great running around in shorts!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Franklin was a guard in college and he's a beast. I feel confident that he'll do well.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Franklin was a guard in college and he's a beast. I feel confident that he'll do well.
On the downside of this I think Denver knows they are not going to resign him so they just move him inside and let him become a FA next year. I'd hate to see him go because he is one of my favorite Broncos. I really love his game at RT and I am sure he will be an even better guard.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Franklin does outperform at this position, IMO we will have the best guard combo in the league.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
On the downside of this I think Denver knows they are not going to resign him so they just move him inside and let him become a FA next year. I'd hate to see him go because he is one of my favorite Broncos. I really love his game at RT and I am sure he will be an even better guard.
Why would we release him ? He is a beast and the O-line is the most important part of the team.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

How many names will he take via pancake?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:

Yeah, I got something completely different out of that quote. To me it was Gase indicating that success is predicated less on physicality than you would imagine and more on technique.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Why would we release him ? He is a beast and the O-line is the most important part of the team.
They won't "release" him, but it wouldnt shock me if he wasn't in their future plans. Broncos have a lot of talent. They won't be able to afford them all unless Peyton unexpectedly retires (and if this happens, i hope its because he goes out on top)
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I agree. I think this will be a good fit for him. Statistically you actually can get more money for being an "awesome" guard than a "pretty good" right tackle. There isn't a ton of money in RT so I am not sure why he was so butt hurt about it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I agree. I think this will be a good fit for him. Statistically you actually can get more money for being an "awesome" guard than a "pretty good" right tackle. There isn't a ton of money in RT so I am not sure why he was so butt hurt about it.
I mean are we talking about significant difference or is it a tax rounding error?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I think maybe that's why he backtracked on his statement.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Shananahan
Custom User Title

What was his statement? I missed it.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Yeah, I got something completely different out of that quote. To me it was Gase indicating that success is predicated less on physicality than you would imagine and more on technique.
That is the way I read it too.

Using leverage and position (foot work) instead of burning energy trying to out physical your opponent all game long.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
That's also what I took from his comment.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #23
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
That's also what I took from his comment.
Yep I got that too. My point is why take a tank to a NASCAR race
Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #24
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
How many names will he take via pancake?
Quite a few if he keeps his pads down and punches and grabs effectively. His technique will be his most important asset along with that natural strength.

We used to call pancakes flatjacks. Jack him up and flatten him.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
With Manning at QB our running game will be secondary until he is gone.
It might be secondary to the passing game, but it will be nice to have the option of running for it at the goal line or in 3rd and 3 or less situations instead of knowing that Peyton would be throwing. Just the realistic threat of a running game will open things up for Peyton just a little more.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote