The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #126
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
I disagree. It sends a great message to the taliban. If we can capture an american we can trade for 5 of our buddies. This just increased the danger of the warfighters tenfold. Stupid decision by the POTUS.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #127
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is that just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
BENGHAZI...
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #128
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone believe Qatar will even monitor these clowns? Middle East officials over there are saying they are free to roam wherever they want for the year. Then off to Afghanistan. Lol Obama really ****ed up this time.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #129
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
On feb 14, did McCain know at what cost when he said that? 5 men for 1 seems ridiculous to me. 1 for 1. I notice that article states "a prisoner". Not "5 prisoners"
If you read what was posted you'd already know the answer to that question.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #130
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...t.html?hp&_r=1

Apparently the dude even left a note saying he was deserting.

Hard to believe how mind-bendingly effed up this is. You could maybe believe they wanted to reel him in as a collaborator, but there's no way he was high level enough to justify the price we paid in terrorists we let go.

Not sure what the motive for this deal could've possibly been. Or was it so poorly constructed that the administration literally didn't ask the Army what the story was?
If he was a deserter and reportedly "hated" America wouldn't it be more important to get him back in US custody?

If our enemy has a captive who is loyal to the US I would be much less worried about it from a national security perspective than I would be if they captured a turncoat with inside information who's not only likely to give up information, but actively aid said enemy.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #131
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
If he was a deserter and reportedly "hated" America wouldn't it be more important to get him back in US custody?

If our enemy has a captive who is loyal to the US I would be much less worried about it from a national security perspective than I would be if they captured a turncoat with inside information who's not only likely to give up information, but actively aid said enemy.
Like I said, I'd be willing to entertain that possibility. But he was PFC when he was captured. Anything of substance he has to offer pales in comparison to what we let waltz out of Gitmo.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #132
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I don't know if the guy is a turncoat or not. If he is, I would imagine that he would have given over whatever useful information he had years ago. The damage would already be done. Giving up 5 more (potential) terrorists in exchange for him just doesn't make sense.

It's like giving your enemy five bullets in exchange for a spent shell.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #133
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:

What's the point of getting him back after 5 years? He already gave every important piece of information away 4 1/2 years ago. It's not like he's in a taliban cave with access to our current tactics and intel reports. At this point he's a body for the taliban.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #134
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Who are now being propped up by the political right to gain points in an election year? What could possibly be their motivation?
motivation? How about just the fact we freed 5 Taliban soldiers for one of our own who might have deserted his post! This opens up a big can of worms that now our enemies can go back and get hostages knowing Obama might possibly free their own. 5 for 1 deal sounds pretty good for the Taliban. We might have a guy facing a court martial while those 5 Taliban will be considered heroes and probably back to being a terrorist within a year of release from Qatar.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #135
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Anyone believe Qatar will even monitor these clowns? Middle East officials over there are saying they are free to roam wherever they want for the year. Then off to Afghanistan. Lol Obama really ****ed up this time.
He's been a royal ****up from the beginning
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #136
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Possibility now he left a note denouncing his US Citizenship.

Fubar.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #137
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Possibility now he left a note denouncing his US Citizenship.

Fubar.

If that is true, it really doesn't change much of anything regarding what he did. You don't have to leave a note to be a traitor.

Wait, I think I read your post wrong. I saw the fubar and thought you were saying that they struck down him leaving a note.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #138
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
If that is true, it really doesn't change much of anything regarding what he did. You don't have to leave a note to be a traitor.

Wait, I think I read your post wrong. I saw the fubar and thought you were saying that they struck down him leaving a note.
No, I think Archer is saying the soldier is ****ed up beyond all recognition aka FUBAR. When did he denounce it, in prison being tortured or before he bailed on his post.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #139
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
On feb 14, did McCain know at what cost when he said that? 5 men for 1 seems ridiculous to me. 1 for 1. I notice that article states "a prisoner". Not "5 prisoners"
McCain is also an idiot
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #140
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
No, I think Archer is saying the soldier is ****ed up beyond all recognition aka FUBAR. When did he denounce it, in prison being tortured or before he bailed on his post.

Yeah I figured that after I initially hit submit. lol.

Either way, Obama will have it justified somehow.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #141
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Yeah I figured that after I initially hit submit. lol.

Either way, Obama will have it justified somehow.
Not hard to do when the media doesn't report on the things he does wrong
Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #142
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

this story is messed up in so many ways

1. why trade 5 key taliban members for 1 foot soldier. The US has a no deal policy with terrorist. That policy is understanding that innocents including women and children would be killed. Yet they are willing to negotiate for a soldier.
2. Not just negotiate for any soldier, but a soldier that got caught because he went AWOL. how is this possible?
3. this will setup precedence in the future where enemy forces will do everything they can to capture us citizens overseas and military personnel to use them as a bargaining chip.

i really hope the white house has a reason for this and it better not be a political scheme to get more voters. they are risking the life of Americans in the future with this deal.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #143
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Who are now being propped up by the political right to gain points in an election year? What could possibly be their motivation?
But what do you expect? And what does it matter? The other soldiers are either telling the truth, or they're not. I don't think it's all that shocking that the WH's political opposition is taking advantage of what, on the surface, looks like a colossal screw-up. If the shoe was on the other foot, you know that the Dems would be doing the same.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #144
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

The most baffling part is that obama REFUSED to negotiate with Republicans on the budget, but he will negotiate with terrorists. Only 2 more years....however the damage will be done.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #145
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/1440...-hes-war-hero/
...Sgt. Korder brought up a point that the Obama administration needs to hear: Soldiers risked their lives to capture these Taliban leaders. When they were so trivially traded for a single soldier who likely abandoned his unit (and his country), it devalued the sacrifices those soldiers made.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #146
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
The most baffling part is that obama REFUSED to negotiate with Republicans on the budget, but he will negotiate with terrorists. Only 2 more years....however the damage will be done.
It's not surprising. Veterans and anyone who votes for the right has been labeled a potential terrorist according to this administration.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #147
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:

Would you worry about it from a national security level if we freed 5 top Taliban terrorists?
The attempts at justifying this move are full of fail.

Last edited by ant1999e; 06-03-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #148
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Many liberal websites are not even covering the story or barely. Gee, I wonder why. But this will all get excused in the end and nothing will happen other than expectations of making deals with terrorists from now on, even with soldiers who go AWOL and help the enemy and renounce their citizenship. This is what this one great country has become. Not to mention the countless millions of people on food stamps, record numbers on disability, no jobs other than IRS to spy on people, Patriot Act and wiretapping used to be horrid, but now it's all cool and hip, and our VA's dishing out bonuses to people who fudge the books as vets die waiting for care. Great direction we're going here.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #149
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/1440...-hes-war-hero/
...Sgt. Korder brought up a point that the Obama administration needs to hear: Soldiers risked their lives to capture these Taliban leaders. When they were so trivially traded for a single soldier who likely abandoned his unit (and his country), it devalued the sacrifices those soldiers made.
But Obama doesn't care nor respects our troops. Look at the VA scandal, he once campaigned about it, but news to him the scandal coming out now about it. And look at his advisers, either none with military experience or complete bozos like Biden, Kerry, and Hagel.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #150
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway 4 Life View Post
I disagree. It sends a great message to the taliban. If we can capture an american we can trade for 5 of our buddies. This just increased the danger of the warfighters tenfold. Stupid decision by the POTUS.
I don't give a **** what message the Taliban takes from this.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote