The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #76
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
We impeach presidents for blow jobs but not for breaking the law...go figure. I've been on the fence with Obama, but this is a horrific decision. seems like nothing but an attention to deflect from the va scandal. if one of these 5 carries out a terrorists attack Obama's legacy and presidency makes Bush look Lincoln
He was impeached for obstruction of justice...which was breaking the law. Even then.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #77
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Yes. The law HE signed six months ago says he has to give them 30 days notice. So he broke the law. But as usual, nobody will do anything about it and the liberal media won't hold him accountable.
He issued a signing statement claiming it unconstitutionally infringed on his war powers as the C-in-C. Seriously.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #78
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is that just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
Following the story much? His fellow soldiers are the ones leading the charge calling him a traitor or deserter, and saying this never should have been done.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #79
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Perennial Pro-bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

How many Americans just died trying to wipe out these guys? And now we're going to release 5 high ranking Taliban members back into the wild? Does anyone actually believe these people are gonna sit on their asses in Qatar for the rest of their lives? Years in Gitmo is probably gonna put a new spring in their step when it comes to killing us/Afghans.

The more I hear about this the more I hate it.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #80
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
The fact that hagel didn't even get a clap when he announced this in aghanistan speaks volumes of how the military feels about this. Got some friends in the military and they are livid.
Can you imagine?

Say you spent several months getting shot at, looking for him. You saw good friends killed in the process. Every day, while wondering if you'll be the next guy blown up in the process, all you can think about is what a waste of resources it is - how you're out trying to find a dumbass that walked away on his own, with the misguided fantasy that he'd be some kind of Bear Grylls wannabe, living off the land. Then, you get to watch as the media makes him out to be a hero - while he gets promotions. Now, you hear that he was traded for five guys who may have killed several thousand people, between the bunch of them.

They'd better keep him guarded when he gets back the the states.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #81
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I think Obama did it to get the VA scandal off of the top headline. He is such a piece of ****.
Like that makes any sense. The VA has been a cluster **** under just about every administration. He shouldnt get any unique blame for it. Sadly its a non-story because the status quo is government treats our veterans terribly after their service is complete.

So he would he trading that non-story for one that looks at least by all current accounts to be legitmate bad move /f-up on his part?
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #82
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Like that makes any sense. The VA has been a cluster **** under just about every administration. He shouldnt get any unique blame for it. Sadly its a non-story because the status quo is government treats our veterans terribly after their service is complete.

So he would he trading that non-story for one that looks at least by all current accounts to be legitmate bad move /f-up on his part?
That would be the case if he and his supporters of Obamacare didnt go around the country using the VA model as the poster of success when promoting it.

When it's not tagged to one party or president, what does that tell you? For me, it tells me the model for it doesn't work, and the govt cannot do it.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 06-02-2014 at 09:43 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #83
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
That would be the case if he and his supporters of Obamacare didnt go around the country using the VA model as the poster of success when promoting it.

When it's not tagged to one party or president, what does that tell you? For me, it tells me the model for it doesn't work, and the govt cannot do it.
That's not the point. The VA has been **** up for a long time. This new thing is something he is wholly responsible for. No way to pass the buck here. Why trade a marginal story for a clearly bad one of which there is no escape (so far)?

And besides that... I dont recall anyone campaigning and comparing the VA (the only thing in the US healthcare system that looks like the single payer model) with what we got which is a path to allow the existing multi-payer, for-profit insurance model get more people on their doles. They arent really related at all.

Last edited by Jekyll15Hyde; 06-02-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #84
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Dude sounds like he was a major malcontent and probably would have ended up getting himself dishonorably discharged if not for his capture. But, I don't see enough evidence to unequivocally declare him a deserter. The Army kept promoting him in absentia. That's not treatment normally reserved for a deserter.
This.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #85
Navy Broncos Fan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I am really hoping this was all part of a plan to end our part in the Afghan campaign. Now that nobody is left behind we call pull out and be done with it.

As far as Bowe is concerned I am sure he will face a long line of questions not only about his leaving the camp but also about where and how he was held to gain as much intelligence as possible.

As far as the other five are concerned, like others said hopefully we have some good tracking and in a couple of days or weeks their names pop back up on the news as having been killed in a drone strike.
Navy Broncos Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #86
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

They better have implanted some GPS chips on these 5 Taliban monsters...
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #87
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

4 real American heros died in Benghazi, left for dead, covered up and provided no real support while in a combat zone. This administration says Bergdahl as a deserter and a traitor has served with distinction and we release five scum of the earth back to the world. I'd expect nothing less from this administration, defending the undefendable and putting national defense at risk.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #88
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Would we release 5 convicted serial killers from a U.S. prison in exchange for a kidnap victim or would that send the wrong message to the criminal world?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #89
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
This pretty much.

Hopefully these guys have some spify nano-tech in them broadcasting their location to us or something.
I doubt that, but I do think there is far more to this than trying to get a feel good story in the headlines.

No one here, or in the media, has any insight into what the true motivation behind this move is; although it sure doesn't stop idiots from speculating and drawing unfounded conclusions based on partisan battle lines.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #90
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
it sure doesn't stop idiots from speculating and drawing unfounded conclusions based on partisan battle lines.
Nothing does anymore.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #91
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
4 real American heros died in Benghazi, left for dead, covered up and provided no real support while in a combat zone. This administration says Bergdahl as a deserter and a traitor has served with distinction and we release five scum of the earth back to the world. I'd expect nothing less from this administration, defending the undefendable and putting national defense at risk.
And there it is. BENGHAZIIIIII!I!!!I!!I!II!I!!!!!11!!!!!!ONE!!11!!! !

We do everything we can to make sure we don't leave servicemen behind. Period.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #92
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Nothing does anymore.
This reminds me of a Metallica song.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #93
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm sure this administration, with their 'smart power' and incredible negotiating skills will trade Boko Haram 5 American toddlers for 1 kidnapped Sudanese girl this weekend.

The only good thing in this whole debacle is that an American will soon return home from a war zone. That's it. The rest of the story is one of deception, incompetence, attempts to distract us from things like the VA, and the abuse of power that Bush perpetuated and Obama now builds his presidency on.

You were warned, America.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #94
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Pentagon apparently knew where he was, but considered him a deserter, so didn't risk anymore soldiers to try to get him. But now release terrorists to get him all of a sudden after 5 years. Something doesn't add up here.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #95
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Pentagon apparently knew where he was, but considered him a deserter, so didn't risk anymore soldiers to try to get him. But now release terrorists to get him all of a sudden after 5 years. Something doesn't add up here.
That's because no one really knows anything.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #96
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I'm guessing there is way more to this story than we know. I'll withhold all my thoughts till more is revealed. Disappointing nonetheless.

Having said that, as a former serviceman, if this guy deserted his platoon, he'll be court martialed under the UCMJ and sent to prison here in the states. Nothing worse than bailing on your buddies/troops in a time of war.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #97
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Obama wants to close Guantanamo and close the war in Afghanistan, this is a political call not a military one. Don't over think it, we all knew/know who this guy was when elected the first time and we are reaping the benefits of electing this idiot.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #98
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Yep. Worst President ever. It's official. Man, we look so weak as a country right now
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #99
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I'm guessing there is way more to this story than we know. I'll withhold all my thoughts till more is revealed. Disappointing nonetheless.

Having said that, as a former serviceman, if this guy deserted his platoon, he'll be court martialed under the UCMJ and sent to prison here in the states. Nothing worse than bailing on your buddies/troops in a time of war.
Yeah. There's something fishy about this.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #100
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
That's not the point. The VA has been **** up for a long time. This new thing is something he is wholly responsible for. No way to pass the buck here. Why trade a marginal story for a clearly bad one of which there is no escape (so far)?

And besides that... I dont recall anyone campaigning and comparing the VA (the only thing in the US healthcare system that looks like the single payer model) with what we got which is a path to allow the existing multi-payer, for-profit insurance model get more people on their doles. They arent really related at all.
First:

1) We've tripled the funding for the VA in the last dozen or so years.

2) Obama explicitly promised in 2008 to clean up the VA

Quote:
That's why I've pledged to build a 21st century VA as President. It means no more red tape - it's time to give every service-member electronic copies of medical and service records upon discharge. It means no more shortfalls - we'll fully fund VA health care, and add more Vet Centers, particularly in rural areas. It means no more delays - we'll pass on-time budgets. It means no more means-testing - it's time to allow every veteran into the VA system.
Second:

Most liberals have held up the VA system as a model for socialized healthcare, just an example from Paul Krugman:

Quote:
What Mr. Romney and everyone else should know is that the V.H.A. is a huge policy success story, which offers important lessons for future health reform.

Many people still have an image of veterans’ health care based on the terrible state of the system two decades ago. Under the Clinton administration, however, the V.H.A. was overhauled, and achieved a remarkable combination of rising quality and successful cost control. Multiple surveys have found the V.H.A. providing better care than most Americans receive, even as the agency has held cost increases well below those facing Medicare and private insurers. Furthermore, the V.H.A. has led the way in cost-saving innovation, especially the use of electronic medical records.

What’s behind this success? Crucially, the V.H.A. is an integrated system, which provides health care as well as paying for it. So it’s free from the perverse incentives created when doctors and hospitals profit from expensive tests and procedures, whether or not those procedures actually make medical sense. And because V.H.A. patients are in it for the long term, the agency has a stronger incentive to invest in prevention than private insurers, many of whose customers move on after a few years.

And yes, this is “socialized medicine” — although some private systems, like Kaiser Permanente, share many of the V.H.A.’s virtues. But it works — and suggests what it will take to solve the troubles of U.S. health care more broadly.

the international evidence accords with U.S. experience. The most efficient health care systems are integrated systems like the V.H.A.; next best are single-payer systems like Medicare; the more privatized the system, the worse it performs
Then again, Krugman is rarely right and if he is, it's usually by accident.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote