The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
kupesdad
Pro Bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 671

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Five of the most dangerous men on the planet will soon be free
Sorry... I've been free for years but then I probably only rank 8th or 9th.. Not knowing all the details I'm pretty sure that these 5 probably have a drone named after them coming to their local theater (in the near future I hope). I imagine that Bergdahl has had a pretty ****ty 5 years in an Afghanistan prison. Like I said, I don't know anything more than what is out on the airwaves. If he is a deserter, we always have Gitmo and it just happens to have a few more open cells to buddy up to his pals.
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #27
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I'm glad for his family that he's back, but we've just made the world less safe. Several dead in the search for him and probably a lot more with those 5 released. And from what I've read of him, he should have never been in the military. The peace corps was more his style.
Yep.

Read page 3 in particular


http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...93.html?page=1
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
As a mother I'm thrilled he was released. Without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released. With the traitor business I have serious questions about what's going on and how the powers that be didn't know this info. If they did, shame on you.
I am a father but if my son joined the military, I know what stakes are when he signed up and also if he gets captured. He fights for his country and you, as a parent, need to respect and honor that. Those 5 Taliban are most likely going to try to kill Americans again and that could be my Nephew or even my 11 and 10 year old. There is a reason we normally don't exchange prisoners and you try to reason your post by "without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released". It isn't that easy as it is part of the equation. Those 5 are killers and probably until they are old or dead unlike a soldier that has a certain years of service before he retires to normal life. I hope we can find them again before they kill more people.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #29
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I am a father but if my son joined the military, I know what stakes are when he signed up and also if he gets captured. He fights for his country and you, as a parent, need to respect and honor that. Those 5 Taliban are most likely going to try to kill Americans again and that could be my Nephew or even my 11 and 10 year old. There is a reason we normally don't exchange prisoners and you try to reason your post by "without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released". It isn't that easy as it is part of the equation. Those 5 are killers and probably until they are old or dead unlike a soldier that has a certain years of service before he retires to normal life. I hope we can find them again before they kill more people.
Wish there were more people that understood it like you do.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

This whole thing really mirrors a great short story by Tim O'Brien called Going After Cacciato. Eerie.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is that just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #32
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I am a father but if my son joined the military, I know what stakes are when he signed up and also if he gets captured. He fights for his country and you, as a parent, need to respect and honor that. Those 5 Taliban are most likely going to try to kill Americans again and that could be my Nephew or even my 11 and 10 year old. There is a reason we normally don't exchange prisoners and you try to reason your post by "without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released". It isn't that easy as it is part of the equation. Those 5 are killers and probably until they are old or dead unlike a soldier that has a certain years of service before he retires to normal life. I hope we can find them again before they kill more people.
Excellent post and I would be willing to bet there are many active soldiers that would be willing to risk or even give their life to kill the five that are to be released.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #33
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Excellent post and I would be willing to bet there are many active soldiers that would be willing to risk or even give their life to kill the five that are to be released.
You're probably right,but who's going to give the order?
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #34
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 869

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is that just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
Do you think that's the message soldiers are getting from this?

I think "If someone deserts his post and betrays his country you will be expected to risk your lives "rescuing" him" would be a message they might get out of this.

Or maybe

"The lives these 5 Gitmo detainees may take in the future are worth less than the political capital we can temporarily gain by retrieving a POW"

But not "No man left behind."
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #35
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Whatever happened to "leave no man behind"? Or is that just BS?

This sends a great message to all current and future soldiers,that if you get captured your country will not forget about you...unless you are at a VA hospital.

If he's a deserter he will face the the consequences.
F.Y.P.

Exchanging prisoners isn't the answer to "does the country or individual armed service branches forget about the serviceman?

Here we have a post of someone that is in la la land. I am sure your unicorn will be arriving any day now.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #36
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Do you think that's the message soldiers are getting from this?

I think "If someone deserts his post and betrays his country you will be expected to risk your lives "rescuing" him" would be a message they might get out of this.

Or maybe

"The lives these 5 Gitmo detainees may take in the future are worth less than the political capital we can temporarily gain by retrieving a POW"

But not "No man left behind."
Relax you're letting your imagination get the best of you. If these 5 were really that dangerous or that big a threat to America, they would still be in gitmo.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #37
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Relax you're letting your imagination get the best of you. If these 5 were really that dangerous or that big a threat to America, they would still be in gitmo.
Please stop on this...really!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...e4d_story.html

"One of the freed men was the head of the Taliban’s army. Another arranged for al-Qaeda trainers to visit Afghanistan. Another has been implicated by the United Nations for killing thousands of Shiite Muslims.

Although the five men have each been in prison for at least a decade, many believe they still have significant influence within the Taliban because of their contributions during the group’s formative years. The last time a high-level Taliban official was released from Guantanamo, in 2007, the detainee, Mullah Abdul Qayyum Zakir, returned to Afghanistan and took the reins as the organization’s director of military operations."

So Peacepipe is ok with the exchange as long as they don't harm America. American soldiers? Well, that isn't an issue I guess with him.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 06-02-2014 at 02:24 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #38
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Relax you're letting your imagination get the best of you. If these 5 were really that dangerous or that big a threat to America, they would still be in gitmo.
These men are dangerous. There's plenty proof of this.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

images copy.jpg
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #40
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
I'm pretty sure that these 5 probably have a drone named after them coming to their local theater (in the near future I hope).
You'd have to think so, yeah.

Some people here are acting like the United States is just going to drop them off at the airport and wave goodbye.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #41
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
You'd have to think so, yeah.

Some people here are acting like the United States is just going to drop them off at the airport and wave goodbye.
Ya. A Qatar airport with a one year travel ban.


What this does is it shows a captured American can benefit terrorists.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 06-02-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #42
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
You'd have to think so, yeah.

Some people here are acting like the United States is just going to drop them off at the airport and wave goodbye.
One of the most strategic US military bases is right there in Qatar. Take a good guess what flys out of that military base!. If you guessed drones,you would be right.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #43
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Just sampling the Internet postings from (supposedly) military people, this is doing nothing positive for morale.

Here is a post from reddit (so, take it for what it's worth - it's good enough to fool me, but I have no military background):

Here is a forward from one of the soldiers that served with him
Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday.""


http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/co...ban_in/chvy4nm

If all that is true, then I hope he's punished. And spare me the crap about him having been punished enough already.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
Sorry... I've been free for years but then I probably only rank 8th or 9th.. Not knowing all the details I'm pretty sure that these 5 probably have a drone named after them coming to their local theater (in the near future I hope). I imagine that Bergdahl has had a pretty ****ty 5 years in an Afghanistan prison. Like I said, I don't know anything more than what is out on the airwaves. If he is a deserter, we always have Gitmo and it just happens to have a few more open cells to buddy up to his pals.
I hope you're right, my friend. We'll, of course, never hear about it. But I hope you're right.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #45
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #46
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,179
Default

Could this trade have to do with more than a simple prisoner exchange?

After we will be drawing down troops substantially at the end of the year and the Afghan forces will take over combat. Perhaps there is some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing to try and form a unity government? Its pretty clear that the Taliban will have control of southern Afghan no matter what the Us does at this point.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #47
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,444
Default

http://time.com/2809352/bowe-bergdah...-army-taliban/
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #48
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
Could this trade have to do with more than a simple prisoner exchange?

After we will be drawing down troops substantially at the end of the year and the Afghan forces will take over combat. Perhaps there is some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing to try and form a unity government? Its pretty clear that the Taliban will have control of southern Afghan no matter what the Us does at this point.
I think Obama did it to get the VA scandal off of the top headline. He is such a piece of ****.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #49
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler
 
ShiftyEyedWaterboy's Avatar
 
4!

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleton
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
This pretty much.

Hopefully these guys have some spify nano-tech in them broadcasting their location to us or something.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #50
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default

most of the soldiers I've read indicate that his walking off from his FOB stunk to high heaven, meaning he wacked out and deserted.

Unless we have RFID'ed the Taliban 5 and can track them to their little hidey holes or have major confidence in having turned one or two of them, then the trade borders on irrational political expedience.

Maybe the CIA is setting up Obama to be the ultimate fall guy for their Afghanistan mess. Ultimately, we may never know what the true play was.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Denver Broncos