The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #351
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I honestly don't see why that would matter. How they acquired the prisoner to exchange is academic. The message Obama sent to our enemies was

1. If you have an American prisoner, we will trade you your top terrorist generals for that American no matter who that American is. We don't even care if he's actually a prisoner or if he's in on it with you. We don't care. You have an American, we'll trade for him.

2. We are willing to trade you back your guys for our guys at a rate of 5:1 in your favor!

It doesn't take a genius to see more Americans will be captured. Even if Obama made a deal under the table this is "the one and only" kind of this deal with this group, other groups will see it and try it for themselves.

It was yet one more thing done wrong by a really crappy President who pretty much wasn't good at anything except reading from a teleprompter and speaking in broad nondescript terms so everyone can imagine the specifics as their personal fantasy.
But he gives good speeches. At least that's what I hear. I can't stand to listen to him anymore. Anyway, after next year we will no longer be in Afghanistan and I really doubt the Taliban will cause us any more problems. Good or bad, it's always been American policy to leave no American behind, like General McChrystal pointed out. If you read the bios on the five that I posted you'll have less fear of the repercussions. At any rate, like the War on Drugs, the War on Terrorism has more to do with allowing government to grow its power at home than it does with any threat from abroad.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #352
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Did they kidnap him, or did he walk into their camp by his own volition? I understand that somebody like Cruz wants to spew this venom for mid-term election value, but we don't know the facts yet.
Oh boy. You don't think Obama did this for mid term values? It backfired big time as he boosted the Repubs and Democrats are even pissed about it...except the few here that can't figure out that Obama made a mistake (they have had many to choose from but ignore them all).
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #353
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Oh boy. You don't think Obama did this for mid term values? It backfired big time as he boosted the Repubs and Democrats are even pissed about it...except the few here that can't figure out that Obama made a mistake (they have had many to choose from but ignore them all).
That would be odd. He was accused of not doing it because of the 2012 midterms. Now he's accused of doing it because of the 2014 midterms? Doesn't add up.

Frankly, I think Obama has no political coattails at all. He's doing this for himself.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #354
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Don't care to read over the diatribe most are posting above about FOX and the usual ra-ra's playing party politics, but here are my thoughts.

The problem I have with most of it is two-fold:

Negotiating with these guys can embolden other non-state/extremist organizations to try and pursue similar outcomes.

Doing this in a way legitimizes terrorist organizations and puts them on the same level as recognized nations or state actors in international politics.

Pretty slippery slope, IMHO.

A hard left turn and deviation from what are MO is supposed to be in this regard.

I don't know the facts of the case, none of us do, but the above thoughts don't need the "truth" re: Bergdahl to be made.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5452401.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) chastised some members of his party Tuesday for their reaction to the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, saying they should stop acting the prisoner swap President Barack Obama arranged was unprecedented.

"I'm a little bit disturbed by some of the Republicans out there who keep saying this has never happened before," Labrador said during an interview with the radio station 670 KBOI in Boise, Idaho. "That is not entirely true. If you look historically, at the end of any conflict, you have a swap of prisoners, and that happens. Usually our side will release people that are less than desirable in order to get some of our people back in these swaps. So I would suggest that anybody who's being hyper-critical about this, they should look at the history. This has happened before."
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #355
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't care what Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) says. I don't care what John McCain says. I don't care if George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Jesus Christ show up on Meet the Press and give their blessings. This is a terrible deal.

I hate republicans. I hate democrats. I hate politics. This is a terrible deal.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #356
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
huffington again. Oranges to apples. The conflict is coming to an end? The Taliban have quit fighting? If we leave troops there, the Taliban are not going to try to kill our troops since this conflict "is over?" Yikes, you guys are naive.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #357
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
But he gives good speeches. At least that's what I hear. I can't stand to listen to him anymore. Anyway, after next year we will no longer be in Afghanistan and I really doubt the Taliban will cause us any more problems. Good or bad, it's always been American policy to leave no American behind, like General McChrystal pointed out. If you read the bios on the five that I posted you'll have less fear of the repercussions. At any rate, like the War on Drugs, the War on Terrorism has more to do with allowing government to grow its power at home than it does with any threat from abroad.
We leave people behind all the time. Pretty much every defector. And most deserters. If we do go after them, it's to neutralize them as a threat (either by elimination or incarceration) Not to give them a homecoming parade like the Obama admin was clearly trying to sell.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #358
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Susan Rice, I think those that were in the Libyan Embassy served their country with honor, but where was the pressing need to help them again? Did we need to exchange terrorists to help them?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #359
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
We leave people behind all the time. Pretty much every defector. And most deserters. If we do go after them, it's to neutralize them as a threat (either by elimination or incarceration) Not to give them a homecoming parade like the Obama admin was clearly trying to sell.
This admin. really are bozos when it comes to the military. No clue at all. They must really believe everyone is as dumb as their loyal, blind supporters are who excuse this guy for everything.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #360
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
The thing that sickens me the most of this entire thing is Carney, Rice and the like calling Bergdahl "honorable". For those in the military that did serve with bravery and passion for the USA, its a big **** you to them. That right there really pisses me off.
Rohirrim, forget the politics. As a vet, doesn't this just piss you off? Guys on the front line, guys who was with him 24/7 doesn't know better than somebody behind a desk 20k miles away.

Doesn't it piss you off that BO is hosting bergdahl parents?

BO should top it off by awarding bergdahl the medal of horor and the service cross for his bravery by facing the enemy all by himself with only a notebook, water and knife.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #361
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Rohirrim, forget the politics. As a vet, doesn't this just piss you off? Guys on the front line, guys who was with him 24/7 doesn't know better than somebody behind a desk 20k miles away.

Doesn't it piss you off that BO is hosting bergdahl parents?

BO should top it off by awarding bergdahl the medal of horor and the service cross for his bravery by facing the enemy all by himself with only a notebook, water and knife.
I've already stated a few times, if he deserted and collaborated, he should be shot.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #362
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup, pretty much the case with almost every political issue. Take Afghanistan as a perfect example. Obama is getting slammed for the "surge" and for still having a U.S. presence in the country. And perhaps rightly so. But, right wingers were 100% in support of this strategy before Obama was POTUS, and would have slammed him and called him weak if we would have pulled out/drawn down sooner and faster. Every issue is pretty much a lose-lose for him.
This is completely and utterly false. No one wanted to be in Afghanistan anymore. There were less troops in Afghanistan when Bush left office, than there are today.

The Afghanistan war, as voted on and approved by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama was always very unpopular amongst the American people. Constant media reporting on it throughout the Bush presidency is the main reason why Democrats swept to power in 2006 and continued gaining momentum until Bush left office.

74% of American casualties in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama and Clinton. We hear nothing about it in the daily news.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #363
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

this bergdahl guy is an idiot. according to reports, he was walking around town asking if anyone spoke english for directions. during a taliban attack, they caught him while he was taking a dump. are u serious!!! they even said he didn't have time to wipe his ass.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #364
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, once our soldiers come home from Afghanistan, the Taliban terrorists won't be able to kill Americans, it will be those left who will have to fend them off and be killed instead. I'm sure the people of Afghanistan are excited. And maybe women rights will be violated again if the Taliban takes over again, though silence once again from our defenders of women on that subject. I mean, since once our troops would be gone, we no longer need to report on what's happening and pretend all is well, just as they did with Vietnam too. Heck, we used to have daily body counts before Obama, but seems our troops there have been a glorious time there after Obama became president and no need to report deaths anymore. But they're not biased though, only Fox is.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #365
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
huffington again. Oranges to apples. The conflict is coming to an end? The Taliban have quit fighting? If we leave troops there, the Taliban are not going to try to kill our troops since this conflict "is over?" Yikes, you guys are naive.
Ah yes,huffington didn't push the whole Kenya thing. BTW we aren't leaving any troops.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #366
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
This is completely and utterly false. No one wanted to be in Afghanistan anymore. There were less troops in Afghanistan when Bush left office, than there are today.

The Afghanistan war, as voted on and approved by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama was always very unpopular amongst the American people. Constant media reporting on it throughout the Bush presidency is the main reason why Democrats swept to power in 2006 and continued gaining momentum until Bush left office.

74% of American casualties in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama and Clinton. We hear nothing about it in the daily news.
Only because, like Korea, the American people didn't want to hear about it anymore. The news is trying to sell soap. Afghanistan doesn't move product. Obama has lied so many times it would be difficult to prioritize. Afghanistan was one of his big lies.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #367
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

Yeah, I don't agree with this. For most of Bush's term, Afghanistan was the 'popular' war. In fact one of Obama's main campaign points was that we should've ignored Iraq and invested even more in our invasion of Afghanistan.

Regardless, the vote to invade Afghanistan was nearly universal, as was public opinion in support at the time. Crazy to me how quickly we forget our national post-9/11 mood.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #368
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
I don't care what Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) says. I don't care what John McCain says. I don't care if George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Jesus Christ show up on Meet the Press and give their blessings. This is a terrible deal.

GTFO then.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #369
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
The thing that sickens me the most of this entire thing is Carney, Rice and the like calling Bergdahl "honorable". For those in the military that did serve with bravery and passion for the USA, its a big **** you to them. That right there really pisses me off.
Because to this administration it's all about politics. Has nothing to do with the truth or what is right. If they call him honorable it makes this deal look better politically for them.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #370
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
this bergdahl guy is an idiot. according to reports, he was walking around town asking if anyone spoke english for directions. during a taliban attack, they caught him while he was taking a dump. are u serious!!! they even said he didn't have time to wipe his ass.
There is also a report he purposely went to Taliban strongholds.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #371
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
I've already stated a few times, if he deserted and collaborated, he should be shot.
thats fair
the report is that he did go awol. no proof whether he collaborated willingly or not. with the facts that you know right now, if you are the potus, will you host bargdahl parents and will your staff refer to him as a hero?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #372
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Ah yes,huffington didn't push the whole Kenya thing. BTW we aren't leaving any troops.
I bet huffington spent a lot of time on Christie's bridge though. Yeah, not biased
Old 06-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #373
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
but bush/Cheney didn't want all troops out Iraq & afghan either.
I didn't vote for those guys. The fact is that Bush had a timeline for complete troop withdrawal from Iraq, which Obama was unwillingly forced to stick to by the Iraqi government. Bush also had drawn down the troops in Afghanistan to less than we have there now. That was 6 years ago.

91 troops died in Afghanistan in 2013 alone under Obama's failed lack of a strategy. 74% of all US casualties in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama/Hillary Clinton's direction. This regime is obsessed with creating chaos wherever they go and leaving dead American troops in their wake. Not to mention their untold thousands of civilian casualties from drone bomb strikes. They have accomplished nothing except to create utter chaos.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #374
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

My final POLS paper was "AfPak: Obama's Graveyard" -- I was right.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #375
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post

Quote:
GTFO then.

So nothing to you is "good" or "bad" or "right' or "wrong"? Everything is viewed from the prism of "does this help my side or not?" No morals. No rational thinking.

Disgusting. You are absolutely loathsome.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote