The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Guess Who
Leather is better

Leather on your face

Default My mother

I told her that Oregon just passed a law that will now automatically register people to vote when they get their driver's license, if they eligible of course.

This appaled her and she insisted that Obama must be behind this. I asked her if she thought that everyone who is eligible to vote should be able to vote and she said no. "Some people are just too stupid." Then she started talking about welfare and other things, mostly black things of course.

Any thoughts on this? Are some people too stupid that they should not be allowed to vote?

Any thoughts on Oregon's law? After all the DMV already has all the information on you to be able to decide if you are eligible. SHouldn't this be passed nationwide to ensure that the most people eligible to vote can vote?

FAQ: How does Oregon's new "motor voter" law work?

Gov. Kate Brown signed Oregon's "motor voter" law on Monday, creating a new system to automatically register people to vote in this state. It has been a pet project for Brown, who introduced House Bill 2177 when she was secretary of state in January, testified in its favor before the Oregon Legislature and signed it as governor in March.

Why does everyone call it the "motor voter" bill?

It's a short way of explaining that the Oregon DMV will now share information about potential voters with the Secretary of State's Office, for purposes of registering those people to vote or updating their registration.

It doesn't hurt that it rhymes.

Only citizens can vote, but the DMV has records on non citizens as well. Won't that get confusing?

The computer system will be programmed to select only people who provided proof of citizenship to the DMV. People who provided a green card will not be included in the information given to the secretary of state.

Illegal immigrants cannot get a driver's license or other government identification and would not be included in that database.

Aren't my DMV records private?

Not really. They can already be searched by the police, private investigators and other government agencies. There are some restrictions on who can search the DMV database, and it is true that the secretary of state database is more publicly accessible.

However, the information being shared is simply your name, address and age. No one will share information such as social security numbers, credit card information, height or weight.

It amounts to information that is traditionally available in a phone book or other public registry.

What if I don't want to register to vote?

You don't have to. The state will send you a postcard telling you that you will be registered unless you check the box saying that you don't want to be. (You can also select a political party at this time.)

If you don't send in the card with the box checked, you will be registered. You have three weeks to mail it back.

What if I was out of town or misplaced the card?

You can go online or go to your local county clerk's office at any time and unregister to vote.

What if I am registered to vote already?

If you are already registered, you won't receive a post card.

However, if you have moved or changed your name since you last registered, you will receive a postcard, and your voter information will be updating with your new address or new name.

Do I have to vote?

No. Even if you are registered to vote, no one can compel you to turn in a ballot.

You also do not have to vote in every race in an election. It is acceptable to submit a ballot with even just one box filled in, so if you care strongly about just one candidate or issue, you may vote in that race and ignore the others. Your ballot will still be valid.

How often is the state going to do this?

The DMV will send information about potential voters on a rolling basis, but it hasn't been determined exactly how often. The secretary of state currently pulls voter information from county clerks every day, but it may not be that frequently.

Look for a postcard within a few weeks of visiting the DMV. Because information is shared continually, rather than once a year, your postcard's arrival will correspond with your interaction with the DMV.

When does the law go into effect?

The state has until Jan. 2016 to comply, but the program will likely be in place earlier. The first time the DMV looks for potential voters, it will reach back to Dec. 2013, so a lot of people will receive postcards early in the process.

That will not be typical. (See above.)

What if I want to register or change my mind about my party, and I don't want to wait for the next time I renew my license?

You can go online to register or change your information at any time. You may also make any necessary changes at your local county clerk's office. Voter registration is not dependent on having a driver's license or government identification card.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...work/25048243/
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
Bronco Yoda

http://www.thebrainwashingofmydad.com/
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So encouraging more people particpate in the very foundation of this country is bad? and we want to qualify right based on intelligent tests? Do dumb people get to own guns?
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #4
Guess Who
Leather is better

Leather on your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
great stuff...
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That guy reminds me of my in laws.... Just repeat what they hear from Limbaugh or Fox, and when asked why they feel that way have the hardest time explaining it.

Most Americans getting older have given up in some way shape or form. They've gotten lazy, things are too hard all of the sudden... The last thing they want is to think critically about issues, much easy to let someone else figure that out for you...
Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Guess Who
Leather is better

Leather on your face

I finally had to tell my mom they were flat out lying to her; just lying. She was pissed when the whole Obamacare fight was going... her eyes were spigots of fire and mouth full of obscenities. Somehow this was the "****er's fault", she would rant. She lamented that she was going to lose her Medicare, she talked about death panels how she wasn't going to be able to afford any insurance.

And all these fears go from one out of control fire to the next fire and all the fires turn out to be false alarms but she doesn't ever seem to realize that.

She talked about Hillary using a private e mail account and I told her well, Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice also used private e mail accounts and she had never heard such blasphemy....

She still thinks Obama was born in Kenya and that is wrong but Ted Cruz being born in Canada is ok..... I showed her Obama's birth announcement in the Honalulu paper and she stated that it was forged and put in there afterward.....OMG.... I showed her Mitt Romney's birth Certificate and it was the EXACT same kind of long form birth certificate that Obama showed..... Still ask her today and he was born in Kenya. She said she can understand how people think he is the anti-christ...

Benghazi...OMG..... How horrible that Obama worked with the Muslim Brotherhood to attack the American Embassy!! Yet..... I tell her the Republican House has investigated Benghazi 7 times and have never found any evidence the White House was negligent... but she doesn't listen. Just like the people in this forum. So people want to believe what they want to believe. I have most of the people in this forum on ignore... I mean really there is no talking with them, and I get enough of what they say when people quote them.

I imagine in the next 6 months or so the Obama fear stories will stop and the Hillary ones will really kick in. Hopefully, they won't be about Vince Foster, E mails, Benghazi, Whitewater or Monica... I am sure they are working on some new stuff for their mindless and ignorant following.

Last edited by Guess Who; 03-22-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Wow.

I should count my blessings that there are no right-wingnuts or Republicans in my family.

That would be a rough one.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

^

Quote:
Vince Foster, E mails, Benghazi, Whitewater or Monica... I am sure they are working on some new stuff for their mindless and ignorant following.
The repigs will have to come with something new this time.

Monica and Whitewater are the kind of cards you can only play once.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My mother-in-law posted on Facebook how great of a Monarch Queen of England has been, and we sure could use someone like her here in the US.

Talk about a sheep that knows nothing about this country, monarchies or the power held by modern day English royal family. What a ****head.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
^

Vince Foster, E mails, Benghazi, Whitewater or Monica... I am sure they are working on some new stuff for their mindless and ignorant following.

The repigs will have to come with something new this time.

Monica and Whitewater are the kind of cards you can only play once.

I have no doubt they will go back to those old, dried up wells.

The e-mail thing doesn't have legs, but that won't stop 'em.

Probably their go-to move is going to be Hill's role in "covering up Benghazi". at least until something new comes along.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Re the OP: I know in Colorado the DMV offers to register you to vote on the spot.

Looks like Oregon is taking the next step & registering you to vote without even bothering to ask if you would like to.

You subsequently get a post card in the mail, which you must check the box & return to them if you wish to decline their kind offer.

I have no idea if Oregon's law is a "Dem. plot". Don't care. Personally, I'd be in favor of a law like they have in Australia: Voting is required. Either vote or pay a fine.

Last edited by BroncsRule; 03-23-2015 at 10:20 AM..
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
I have no doubt they will go back to those old, dried up wells.

The e-mail thing doesn't have legs, but that won't stop 'em.

Probably their go-to move is going to be Hill's role in "covering up Benghazi". at least until something new comes along.
The rethug campaign strategy has become all-too predictable:

1) Lie through your teeth and fabricate bullsh*t stories about your opponent.

2) Rest assured in the knowledge that your base will lap up your BS and continue to believe/repeat the lies even when your claims have been completely discredited.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Guess Who
Leather is better

Leather on your face

Quote:

2) Rest assured in the knowledge that your base will lap up your BS and continue to believe/repeat the lies even when your claims have been completely discredited.
Yep they don't even care. It was just 2007 when George Bush stated that climate change was real, man made and serious. What republican is saying that today?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Ironlung
There is no plan B

Plan A is still the same...

Quote:

Exactly. Republicans absolutely do this...& Democrats do it as well.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
Exactly. Republicans absolutely do this...& Democrats do it as well.
No comparison.

Not even close.

Atwater, Rove, et al, are in a class all by themselves.

No one had to make sh*t up about Bush - he provided more than enough ammo to use against him all by himself.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #16
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No comparison.

Not even close.

Atwater, Rove, et al, are in a class all by themselves.
Liar.

Frank Underwood makes Karl Rove look like Abraham Lincoln.
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Liar.

Frank Underwood makes Karl Rove look like Abraham Lincoln.
Only if you live on Right-Wing Fantasy Island.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Only if you live on Right-Wing Fantasy Island.
Rove ain't worse than Underwood. Dudes a ruthless killer. Hes gangstafied in the worst possible way. Roves a soft Doug Staper.
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 AM   #19
Guess Who
Leather is better

Leather on your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Rove ain't worse than Underwood. Dudes a ruthless killer. Hes gangstafied in the worst possible way. Roves a soft Doug Staper.
Rove has probably killed many more people than Underwood.