The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
When you can figure out how to make this affordable on a small scale in individual fast food restaurants let me know, I'll go in on it with you. For now I think this is a scare tactic at least for the next 20-30 years or so.
One of my greatest friends is high up in Burger King. Literally worked for them since we were kids starting in the early 80's. according to him it will be a lot faster then 30 yrs.

Regardless of min wage fast food will automate and will fire workers starting asap. They are already developing it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Reagan is not solely to blame (he didn't even come up with the ideas). He's just the face of the stupidity. A shift of the balance between capital and labor that every single administration has continued.

Of course, it's not even technically fair to blame administrations. It's fundamental social and cultural problem. I want everything dirt cheap and disposable but still good! And **** those low skilled workers! They should get a real job! We should give more money to the "job creators" because who cares about whether or not there is a demand for goods and services that will make those new jobs actually feasible. If we just give our masters a few more breaks they will, out of the goodness of their hearts, start making jobs!

You see examples of it in this thread and forum all the time.
Tax breaks have long been (before Republican vs Democrat even) a heavily-utilized means to reduce competitive disadvantage. But they're not the magic pill many on the right want them to be.

We need to focus more on our other competitive disadvantages just as much (if not more so) Which includes taxing trade with non-civil-liberties based societies, leashing an insane EPA, and dismantling the employer-based health care model completely. Just for starters.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
GM basically recalled every car lol. Good thing we bailed out such a great car builder.
Bought a Nissan NV3500 van for my large family. Assembled in Mississippi. What a nice vehicle with all sorts of room. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up in comparison to my UAW POS vehicles. My money is on the Nissan.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #29
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Tax breaks have long been (before Republican vs Democrat even) a heavily-utilized means to reduce competitive disadvantage. But they're not the magic pill many on the right want them to be.
I'm speaking more about the general idea that the resolution to all woes is to cater to the "job creators" (i.e. the capital side of things). The problem is, capital does not create jobs.

Demand creates jobs.

Not a single job will be created without there being a purpose for creating that job. The purpose of creating a job is to fullfill demand for goods and services.

The problem with our economy is not lack of capital (see soaring stock markets). The problem with out economy is lack of demand.

Demand is the driver, capital is the enabler. Right now the right is desperately hoping creating/freeing more enabler will magically make it a driver. It won't.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #30
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
When you can figure out how to make this affordable on a small scale in individual fast food restaurants let me know, I'll go in on it with you. For now I think this is a scare tactic at least for the next 20-30 years or so.
I don't think we can imagine what will be available in 30 years. When Apple released the first clunky desktop Mac 30 years ago, nobody could imagine the latest iPhones and iPads today, nor MP3s, WWW, and a lot of things taken for granted. Not to mention, tech will accelerate faster in the next 30 years.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Lol. There is plenty of demand. Just demand for the cheapest stuff that can only be made in countries without an EPA, IRS, NLRB, and human rights. And how fast would the soaring stock market collapse if the artificial manipulation by the government by means of perpetual quantitative easing stopped?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The local Braum’s in my area hired 4 young adults from the group home and trained them to do one single job each. They are good employs but often get distracted if something is out of place. I have also noticed McDonalds of does some the same, one employee makes fries only all shift. Most of these employees enjoy having a job but will not be there if a $15 an hour wage is required.
And that kid is the manager.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #33
Johnykbr
Perennial Pro-bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

There is something Obama can do actually in all this. Don't allow Silicon Valley to bully him and congress into letting more immigrants in citing this BS about not enough tech workers. Enough studies have been run by all institutes and magazines representing a broad political spectrum that all agree this is bull. Our country is still bloated from so many tech workers and they make up a sizable portion of the middle class.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #34
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Government involvement at its finest. VA, Obamacare, GM, etc. Just shows throwing money around with no plan or not reading what the plan is rarely turns out well. But only the sane get that.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #35
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

The problem with low paying fast food jobs, is the invisible cost/tax the public pays because of workforce is not making a living wage. Because they don't make enough we have to pay for food stamps, health care, etc by government programs to provide them assistance they need to get by. Plus if you don't eat at fast food restaurants, like me, you are getting unfairly taxed for others that do.

So not supporting higher minimum wage you are actually promoting more government social support programs vs market based programs run by the individual themselves.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #36
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Just get rid of the people and replace them with robots!

In a widely cited paper released last year, University of Oxford researchers estimated that there is a 92% chance that fast-food preparation and serving will be automated in the coming decades.

With artificial-intelligence technology like IBM's (IBM, Fortune 500) Watson platform making strides in advanced reasoning and language understanding, it's not hard to see how robots could be designed to provide more sophisticated interactions with restaurant customers than kiosks can manage.

Delivery drivers could be replaced en masse by self-driving cars, which are likely to hit the market within a decade or two, or even drones. In food preparation, there are start-ups offering robots for bartending and gourmet hamburger preparation. A food processing company in Spain now uses robots to inspect heads of lettuce on a conveyor belt, throwing out those that don't meet company standards, the Oxford researchers report.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...html?hpt=hp_t2

So all the fast food industry has to do is hold off on the raise in wages for a decade or so. My local Safeway is already pretty close to having no checkers. Self check-out is taking over.

Yes, folks. Utopia is upon us. Pretty soon, we won't need employees at all! Won't that be great? Who will consume all these products once everybody is out of work? I don't know. But it will be great anyway.

Never ask to where you are progressing. Just progress!
This is short sighted and ignorant thinking.

You can't force companies to pay their employees higher wages without them countering the measure somehow.

It also, in my opinion opens up the prospect of other job creation simply based on the need to supply touch screens to thousands of fast food joints world wide.

Someone needs to design, engineer and program these touch screens as well as manufacture them. Perhaps some, if not all of the kids working the registers will simply be repositioned to the back and prepare food at a faster rate, in turn improving customer service.

These systems don't simply magically appear. Lot's of brain power goes into the creation of these machines....which requires the creation of jobs.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #37
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Hybrid Factory Robots building a Toyota Camry

Why is this different from the fast food industry?

It's different because Rohirrim can't demonize Republicans.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #38
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

One of the big problems with fast food is the fact that the retards behind the counter screw up orders.

This removes them from the equation and streamlines the process.

Lean six sigma in motion here...
Old 05-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #39
fankadeo
Rookie

oh noooooooooooooooooooo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
One of the big problems with fast food is the fact that the retards behind the counter screw up orders.

This removes them from the equation and streamlines the process.

Lean six sigma in motion here...
You are just the warmest fuzziest puffy bloke ever
fankadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #40
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fankadeo View Post
You are just the warmest fuzziest puffy bloke ever
You should probably cry about it some more.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #41
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The problem with low paying fast food jobs, is the invisible cost/tax the public pays because of workforce is not making a living wage. Because they don't make enough we have to pay for food stamps, health care, etc by government programs to provide them assistance they need to get by. Plus if you don't eat at fast food restaurants, like me, you are getting unfairly taxed for others that do.

So not supporting higher minimum wage you are actually promoting more government social support programs vs market based programs run by the individual themselves.
The real problem is adults working long term in such dead end jobs. Jobs that are supposed to be part time for HS kids, young college students etc etc. Not friggin people with kids trying to raise a family.

I'm not saying min wage couldn't go up some but not enough to solve people needing food stamps.

But your theory its because of walmart and fast food we need food stamps is a joke. Its because those people can't get better jobs that we need places like walmart and fast food to give people jobs. Those jobs shouldn't really be adult head of household careers. They can't be they will never pay enough to raise a family.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #42
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
This is short sighted and ignorant thinking.

You can't force companies to pay their employees higher wages without them countering the measure somehow.

It also, in my opinion opens up the prospect of other job creation simply based on the need to supply touch screens to thousands of fast food joints world wide.

Someone needs to design, engineer and program these touch screens as well as manufacture them. Perhaps some, if not all of the kids working the registers will simply be repositioned to the back and prepare food at a faster rate, in turn improving customer service.

These systems don't simply magically appear. Lot's of brain power goes into the creation of these machines....which requires the creation of jobs.
You're right. The need for manufactured touch screens will create plenty of good, solid jobs... for the Chinese.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #43
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hilarity is when Obama says he has created more jobs, but so many end up being these kinds of service jobs. If you say all of these jobs' wages need to be raised so people can make a living, then logic says all wages need to be increased since why should someone with no education get paid a wage anything near what someone with a degree gets? How does the raising of wages for all happen? With a pen by Obama? Pretty much would make getting a degree meaningless then if people can get a fast food job that make something in the ballpark. But I know, logic isn't in vogue these days.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #44
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
You're right. The need for manufactured touch screens will create plenty of good, solid jobs... for the Chinese.
I love that you think McDonalds jobs is just what this country needs...
Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #45
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I love how you Right Wingers just make **** up whenever convenient.

Like Dylan Ratigan said, greedy bastards are picking the carcass of America clean. Down to the bone. While Right Wingers like you stand by and applaud.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #46
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
I love how you Right Wingers just make **** up whenever convenient.

Like Dylan Ratigan said, greedy bastards are picking the carcass of America clean. Down to the bone. While Right Wingers like you stand by and applaud.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #47
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

fast food jobs are supposed to be for HS students first jobs and young people who just need to make some cash but you know, still live at home.

But now days all the young kids are unemployed and we have illegals, immigrants and loser adults working fast food.

But hey do immigration reform and let in even more loser immigrants to **** up our economy and take jobs from teenagers.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #48
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Those jobs are supposed to be for kids not adults trying to raise a family.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Those jobs are supposed to be for kids not adults trying to raise a family.
How do you know what those jobs are "supposed to be" for? Who decided this?
The Lone Bolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #50
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
How do you know what those jobs are "supposed to be" for? Who decided this?
It's the dogma of their fantasy world. Don't try to pierce the bubble.