The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #101
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
OK - that's fair. I concede the film makers had a huge plot/story problem with Heath's untimely demise.

But that film had plot holes you could park a 747 in.

My core issue with DKR is "A Tale of 2 Ropes":

Props for the Dickens reference given the context of a film that features its own modern day take on the French Revolution complete with a version of Robespierre.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #102
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Except, it doesn't have to work that way.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
good solid writing

The Dark Knight
good solid writing

Thor: The Dark World
good solid writing

The Avengers
good solid writing

X-men First Class
good solid writing

I'm not asking for an Oscar contending script. But you don't have to crap out a screen play like Amazing Spider-Man 2. They don't have to be art, but they don't have to suck.
Haven't seen Captain America The Winter Soldier yet since the first one was a turd in a flaming bag so I can't comment on the sequel.

Dark Knight - Agree

Avengers - See, I thought it sucked. I was literally bored watching it. I got a kick out of the dick measuring contest between Hulk and Thor but other than that? Blah.

Thor - I agree with you but many say The Dark World was a poorly written crap-fest. I disagree.

Xmen FC - I agree.

So we appear to have similar tastes but entertainment "likes" are so subjective. I'm not coming at the whole star trek thing trying to ascertain or come to consensus that they were or were not well written, rather I was looking at it from the lens of nostalgia. The lens we looked at it from when we saw it as a youngster vs. our tastes now. It's interesting to me how that can change and how it really bothers some people and how others don't seem to be bothered.

I enjoyed both new ST films. Didn't like them as much as Wrath of Khan or Search for Spock or Undiscovered Country but liked them both better than ST:TMP, The Voyage Home (heresy I know but the whales didn't really do it for me), ST:5 and ALL of the next generation movies save for First Contact. Are they Citizen Kane? Nope. But I liked them as Star Trek movies.

Star Wars? The 3rd prequel could fit in with the original trilogy. Ep2 has some cool moments but lots of suckage and Ep1 has the final Maul/Kenobi/Jinn battle and that's about it. But I liked them all because it was Star Wars. If I was the same age when the prequels came out as I was with the OT I would've eaten it up just like I did back then. I has nothing to do with them being GOOD, it has everything to do with MY personal feelings for Star Wars.

Having said all that, I don't think it's ok for them to turn out crap. I think they SHOULD try to make GOOD movies with good stories and writing and interesting characters etc. etc. I'm just one of those Star Wars acolytes that doesn't hold SW to the same standard (right or wrong) that I hold other movies.

Interesting debate. Thanks for sharing your viewpoints guys.
TerrElway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #103
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
This guy, perhaps?

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

That's it!
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #104
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Saw Days of Future Past yesterday.

A far cry from the actual storyline in the comics, but entertaining nonetheless. Did a reasonably good job of tying up the previous X-Men movies and laying the foundation for the next one (stay for the after-the-credits scene).

Quicksilver was not even close to the comic book character in terms of his personality or background, but he still had one of the best scenes in the whole movie. The bar has been set for the Avengers version.

Edit: from the previews, Lucy is now on my must-see list.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #105
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Saw Days of Future Past yesterday.

A far cry from the actual storyline in the comics, but entertaining nonetheless. Did a reasonably good job of tying up the previous X-Men movies and laying the foundation for the next one (stay for the after-the-credits scene).

Quicksilver was not even close to the comic book character in terms of his personality or background, but he still had one of the best scenes in the whole movie. The bar has been set for the Avengers version.
Fully agree. Really enjoyed the movie but I thought one HUGE element was missing... fighting Sentinels! For the life of me, I can't figure out why they made DoFP and there was NO fighting the classic original Trask sentinels. I was SURE Beast was about to Fastball Special Wolverine and kill the one, but it never happened and, honestly, the X-Men never fought any sentinels (aside from the one Nimrod-class future scene). Really good movie, but very disappointing in terms of action.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #106
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Fully agree. Really enjoyed the movie but I thought one HUGE element was missing... fighting Sentinels! For the life of me, I can't figure out why they made DoFP and there was NO fighting the classic original Trask sentinels. I was SURE Beast was about to Fastball Special Wolverine and kill the one, but it never happened and, honestly, the X-Men never fought any sentinels (aside from the one Nimrod-class future scene). Really good movie, but very disappointing in terms of action.
Agreed. Fun take on the original idea form the classic storyline. Solid film, probably not quite as good as X-men: First Class in my opinion but a fun entertaining entry non-the-less.

Echoing your sentiment regarding the final action set piece from the 70's. It did seem odd that we never got a full on fight scene from the classic sentinels. But, at the same time, we never have an X-men team assembled in the 70's either. It also seems like Wolverine never got a big action sequence in this film either. He has the one brief scene where he pops the gangsters. But, from that point on it seems like the story finds different ways of removing him from each big action sequence. I'm not complaining, but it was odd.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #107
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Well, you get a pass then. How about I put it this way, don't go see Godzilla and expect a lot.

I didn't hate it, but it was a let down. Not as bad as Pacific Rim mind you.
If you can find a blockbuster action film worse than pacific rim I will eat my underwear.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #108
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Agreed. Fun take on the original idea form the classic storyline. Solid film, probably not quite as good as X-men: First Class in my opinion but a fun entertaining entry non-the-less.

Echoing your sentiment regarding the final action set piece from the 70's. It did seem odd that we never got a full on fight scene from the classic sentinels. But, at the same time, we never have an X-men team assembled in the 70's either. It also seems like Wolverine never got a big action sequence in this film either. He has the one brief scene where he pops the gangsters. But, from that point on it seems like the story finds different ways of removing him from each big action sequence. I'm not complaining, but it was odd.
Wolverine was practically useless in the movie in general. He literally delivered the message, which was needed, then served no further purpose. Does that work with the story? I suppose, but it is a poor use of literally the most popular character from the series.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #109
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Wolverine was practically useless in the movie in general. He literally delivered the message, which was needed, then served no further purpose. Does that work with the story? I suppose, but it is a poor use of literally the most popular character from the series.
While all true, nothing will ever exceed this poor use of a popular character:

Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #110
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
While all true, nothing will ever exceed this poor use of a popular character:

That goes for both of them unfortunately
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #111
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like Hugh Jackman as wolverine. He reigns it in a bit, but if someone played him like in the comics, it would be obvious and corny on film. Not a fan of some of the wolverine movies, but I enjoyed the X-men movies (except the third one).
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #112
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

4 more days!
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #113
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
Anyone planning to see it. I'll be there on Saturday.
It looks good, I'll probably have to talk my daughter into seeign it so i can go.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #114
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

^

Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #115
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
^
I hope this lives up to your expectations. Snow White and the Huntsman looked pretty good in the previews but didn't have much else to add in the actual movie.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #116
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
^

You are beyond excited about this movie, huh?
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #117
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
I hope this lives up to your expectations. Snow White and the Huntsman looked pretty good in the previews but didn't have much else to add in the actual movie.
Really? I thought the trailers were laughable at best. I remember my friends and I snickering at them in the theaters and agreeing that the film had an outside chance to obtain the "it's so bad it's good" mantle.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #118
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
Super low post count... I imagine he's a Disney marketer. Innovative technique hitting a few months early, and semi-ingratiating yourself into the community so it seems more like authentic word of mouth.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #119
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Super low post count... I imagine he's a Disney marketer. Innovative technique hitting a few months early, and semi-ingratiating yourself into the community so it seems more like authentic word of mouth.

Honestly, this doesn't even strike me as a marketer. I think its just a script spamming the same boring autoposts to hundreds of message boards.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #120
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Honestly, this doesn't even strike me as a marketer. I think its just a script spamming the same boring autoposts to hundreds of message boards.
Sharing Johnny Football posts?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #121
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I hope so...... Saturday can't come soon enough.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #122
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
Two years.....filming began in May 2012.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #123
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Two years.....filming began in May 2012.
Don't get your hopes up, Disney marketer. "Bleak misfire" is some yikes-worthy stuff.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...rtner=yahootix
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #124
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.digitalspy.ca/movies/revi...oFAak5pJFp16Ty
http://www.thelondonfilmreview.com/f...ew-maleficent/
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #125
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Jesus ****ing Christ dude. Well, you win. Not only will I not see this film. I will now actively attempt to convince all those I interact with to not see this film. Yes, I'm spiteful like that. Now **** off and go **** on some other forum.