The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #76
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Yeah bro, really. As I mentioned earlier The Maltese Falcon (1941) followed The Maltese Falcon (1931) just ten years earlier. Or you could look at a stretch in the 60's were various studios were pumping out a Monte Cristo remake every 3 years.
To each their own I suppose. Constant reboots just don't keep my interest.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #77
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
To each their own I suppose. Constant reboots just don't keep my interest.
And I'm not saying they should. Just pointing out that the phenomenon is no more prevalent today than it has been at almost any point in cinema history. And it has not always been entirely to the industry's detriment.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #78
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
I just said I didn't go to the movie THEATER, not that I didn't watch a lot of the movies coming out these days- I know a lot of them are bad because I've watched them (big blockbusters included). I'm a huge movie buff which is why I'm tough on bad movies- that's also what Redbox is for....

I just don't see the point of spending 10+ on a movie ticket and another 10+ on crappy concession food for a movie that I give a 25% chance of being decent. All that does is give Hollywood the incentive to continue manufacturing poorly written scripts that are more about CGI than anything else.

Christ, "kids these days" I just turned 30 man! Maybe you need to rethink some of your "pre-judgments"....
30 year olds can be extremely curmudgeony....though it is mostly hipsters. Do you have a beard, skinny jeans and a sense that the best things in life have already happened (discounting the newest Iphone of course).

You are focusing very narrowly on the big summer movies. Some of which have many entertaining and redeeming qualities. I'd say it's very rare I've ever regretted going to the movies. In my opinion a movie buff is more open minded about the films than you sound.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #79
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
How many remakes made in the last ten years are actually better than the movies they are based on? I would really like to see your list. you've already named Dred.

Conan 2011?
The new Robocop?
The Mechanic?
Nightmare on Elm Street?
King Kong?


No one is really against remakes. People are against BAD remakes.


It is admittedly a depressingly small list but I would contend that:

The Dark Knight Trilogy
Judge Dredd
Red Dragon
and
3:10 to Yuma

Represented improvements over the originals.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #80
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
I just said I didn't go to the movie THEATER, not that I didn't watch a lot of the movies coming out these days- I know a lot of them are bad because I've watched them (big blockbusters included). I'm a huge movie buff which is why I'm tough on bad movies- that's also what Redbox is for....

I just don't see the point of spending 10+ on a movie ticket and another 10+ on crappy concession food for a movie that I give a 25% chance of being decent. All that does is give Hollywood the incentive to continue manufacturing poorly written scripts that are more about CGI than anything else.

Christ, "kids these days" I just turned 30 man! Maybe you need to rethink some of your "pre-judgments"....

word....I hate going to the movie theater. **** off if you don't agree.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #81
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
30 year olds can be extremely curmudgeony....though it is mostly hipsters. Do you have a beard, skinny jeans and a sense that the best things in life have already happened (discounting the newest Iphone of course).

You are focusing very narrowly on the big summer movies. Some of which have many entertaining and redeeming qualities. I'd say it's very rare I've ever regretted going to the movies. In my opinion a movie buff is more open minded about the films than you sound.

How dare you call me a hipster!

Nah, that ain't me at all though- complete opposite really. I guess I just prefer more indy type stuff.

I'm looking at the place by my house and here is what I come up with-

Godzilla 3D
Million Dollar Arm
Legends of OZ- Dorothys return (animated)
Neighbors
The Other Woman
Heaven is for Real
Rio 2
Divurgent
Captain America- sequel
Amazing Spider Man


I'll probably end up watching 2 or 3 of them eventually but I can't say any of them are can't miss.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #82
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
word....I hate going to the movie theater. **** off if you don't agree.
Amen!
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #83
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,037

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Neighbors was pretty funny
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #84
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream
 
Maleficent's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 246

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default



Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 AM   #85
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Hey hey. There's no need to trash Amazing Spiderman 2.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #86
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Hey hey. There's no need to trash Amazing Spiderman 2.
You think I'm trashing Amazing Spider-Man 2? I'm handling the thing with kid gloves.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/06/f...ng-spider-man/


Now, I'm not saying I disagree with anything this critic writes, I just don't feel nearly as strongly about it as he does.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #87
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
You think I'm trashing Amazing Spider-Man 2? I'm handling the thing with kid gloves.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/06/f...ng-spider-man/


Now, I'm not saying I disagree with anything this critic writes, I just don't feel nearly as strongly about it as he does.
Excellent source!

I saw the guy immediately refer to himself as the "Hulk", and in the third person no less.

I'd rather cut my dick off with nail clippers than read anything that guy has to say about anything.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #88
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Excellent source!

I saw the guy immediately refer to himself as the "Hulk", and in the third person no less.

I'd rather cut my dick off with nail clippers than read anything that guy has to say about anything.
Yeah, its kind of his shtick. He rights from the perspective of the Hulk to offer a typically light-hearted view on the film industry. It's meant to be a running gag. The thing I found interesting about his ASM 2 review is that the film infuriates him so much it causes him to continuously break character. It's like watching a comedian trying to do his act and constantly losing his **** at the heckling audience.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #89
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Yeah, its kind of his shtick. He rights from the perspective of the Hulk to offer a typically light-hearted view on the film industry. It's meant to be a running gag. The thing I found interesting about his ASM 2 review is that the film infuriates him so much it causes him to continuously break character. It's like watching a comedian trying to do his act and constantly losing his **** at the heckling audience.
It's also stupidly pseudo-intellectual in the depth it goes to try and knock the film.

OMG TEENAGE PETER PARKER WAS SELFISH?!?! The only thing that jives with is literally everything we know about human nature...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #90
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
word....I hate going to the movie theater. **** off if you don't agree.
Same thing as NFL fans who no longer go to the games. My 65" TV provides an excellent viewing experience, for a lot less cash.

So I go to fewer games, and fewer movies, than I used to.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #91
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It's also stupidly pseudo-intellectual in the depth it goes to try and knock the film.

OMG TEENAGE PETER PARKER WAS SELFISH?!?! The only thing that jives with is literally everything we know about human nature...
Well, we can agree to disagree I on a couple of items I guess. But that is actually a major problem I have had with the Marc Webb adaptations of Spider-Man thus far.

I can't remember who I need to attribute this quote to, but I remember some writer saying that for a character like Clark Kent or Peter Parker to really work, they needed to be fundamentally good, selfless, and altruistic individuals. Otherwise, the desire to misuse their abilities for personal gain become too great to ignore. Particularly in the case of Peter Parker who over night goes from being the nerdy kid that bullies target to being a guy who could turn into the ultimate bully that ruled his school. Peter doesn't do this and the reason it makes sense for him to make this choice is because his fundamentally good and selfless character has been established. In fact, the mythos even make a point of showing that the one time he acts in a selfish manner, it immediately comes back to haunt him with the death of his Uncle Ben. Spider-man and Superman are characters that are supposed to be able to quote cheesy slogans like "With great Power comes Great Responsibility" without a hint of irony and actually make it work because of their sincerity. I feel that the Webb depiction completely misses this fact.

And no, I don't think that all teenagers or even a majority of teenagers are selfish and self-center. Certainly enough are idealistic and altruistic for an audience to buy the depiction of one on the screen, particularly when that teenager is supposed to be the ****ing hero.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #92
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Cosco has a Samsung 80 inch tv I am thinking of getting. Trouble is I got a 55 inch that is only about a year old. Maybe it will break.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #93
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Except, it doesn't have to work that way.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
good solid writing

The Dark Knight
good solid writing


Thor: The Dark World
good solid writing

The Avengers
good solid writing

X-men First Class
good solid writing

I'm not asking for an Oscar contending script. But you don't have to crap out a screen play like Amazing Spider-Man 2. They don't have to be art, but they don't have to suck.
While I agree with your point - that there is some good writing being done on summer blockbuster projects, please, please for the love of all that is holy don't tell me you think Dark Knight Rises was a well scripted movie.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #94
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Same thing as NFL fans who no longer go to the games. My 65" TV provides an excellent viewing experience, for a lot less cash.

So I go to fewer games, and fewer movies, than I used to.
yep.....I got rid of my season tickets about 3 years ago.

FYI,

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #95
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
While I agree with your point - that there is some good writing being done on summer blockbuster projects, please, please for the love of all that is holy don't tell me you think Dark Knight Rises was a well scripted movie.
I appreciate the Dark Knight Rises for what it attempts to accomplish. I think it largely fails in its attempts, both structurally and thematically. But I appreciate the fact that they made an honest to god effort instead of just trying to recreate The Dark Knight with a Joker stand-in.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #96
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Well, we can agree to disagree I on a couple of items I guess. But that is actually a major problem I have had with the Marc Webb adaptations of Spider-Man thus far.

I can't remember who I need to attribute this quote to, but I remember some writer saying that for a character like Clark Kent or Peter Parker to really work, they needed to be fundamentally good, selfless, and altruistic individuals. Otherwise, the desire to misuse their abilities for personal gain become too great to ignore. Particularly in the case of Peter Parker who over night goes from being the nerdy kid that bullies target to being a guy who could turn into the ultimate bully that ruled his school. Peter doesn't do this and the reason it makes sense for him to make this choice is because his fundamentally good and selfless character has been established. In fact, the mythos even make a point of showing that the one time he acts in a selfish manner, it immediately comes back to haunt him with the death of his Uncle Ben. Spider-man and Superman are characters that are supposed to be able to quote cheesy slogans like "With great Power comes Great Responsibility" without a hint of irony and actually make it work because of their sincerity. I feel that the Webb depiction completely misses this fact.

And no, I don't think that all teenagers or even a majority of teenagers are selfish and self-center. Certainly enough are idealistic and altruistic for an audience to buy the depiction of one on the screen, particularly when that teenager is supposed to be the ****ing hero.
Yeah, I definitely think you're blowing this perceived selfishness way out of proportion instead of just enjoying an exciting, funny, visually dynamic, and engaging Spiderman movie.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #97
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah, I definitely think you're blowing this perceived selfishness way out of proportion instead of just enjoying an exciting, funny, visually dynamic, and engaging Spiderman movie.

Maybe I am. I guess I have just been too spoiled by movies that are able to combine good story and visual spectacle that I am no longer satisfied with simply receiving the latter.

I will say, the one thing I think that the Webb Spider-man Movies gets right that the Raimi Spider-man movies didn't was the fact that when he has the costume on, Peter Parker does transform into a wise-cracking goofball. Its like Stan Lee understood long before the advent of the internet that when granted anonymity your average teenager will just let their inner id hang out. Another reason you have to establish Peter as a fundamentally good kid, because his inner Id remains a playful, gentle, goofball.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #98
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I appreciate the Dark Knight Rises for what it attempts to accomplish. I think it largely fails in its attempts, both structurally and thematically. But I appreciate the fact that they made an honest to god effort instead of just trying to recreate The Dark Knight with a Joker stand-in.
OK - that's fair. I concede the film makers had a huge plot/story problem with Heath's untimely demise.

But that film had plot holes you could park a 747 in.

My core issue with DKR is "A Tale of 2 Ropes":

Rope #1: When Wayne is trying to escape from the well, in his first attempt, there is a rope dangling down from the lip of the well, all the way to the bottom. WHY COULDN'T HE JUST CLIMB THE F@$%#IN' ROPE??!?!! Just lazy, lazy film making. The rope serves no purpose in the scene - why is it there?

Rope #2: When 3500 or so of Gotham's Finest are trapped for weeks (months?!!) in the sewers under the city, and kids are lowering soup down to them on a rope.. Wait a G#%$$D@MN MINUTE - they're lowering a ROPE??!! - "Hey kid - see if you can tie that rope off to something solid - I'm climbin' up!". Do the math. Even if that was their only point of egress - you could move 500 cops a day back up into the city. In less than a week, your police force is no longer trapped, and at the very least, they're fighting a running insurgency battle for control of the city.

Sooooo incredibly weak and lazy..
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #99
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,053

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Cosco has a Samsung 80 inch tv I am thinking of getting. Trouble is I got a 55 inch that is only about a year old. Maybe it will break.
you can ship the 55 to me, I dont mind, me and my 42" need an upgrade
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #100
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
you can ship the 55 to me, I dont mind, me and my 42" need an upgrade
that's what she said
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Denver Broncos