The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #26
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
A few questions for anyone knowledgeable.......

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?

Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

Any input would be appreciated....
Don't be an idiot. There are tons of great dogs right now at the pound. Lots of purebreds too. Do something good with your life for a change besides all the women, drugs and loose living!
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #27
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
$1500 even for an AKC purebred Golden Retriever is outrageous.

Get one here

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...arge&pet_name=

or here

http://ygrr.org/adopt.html
Petfinder is one the worst additions to the dog rescue world. It's almost as awful as the AKC when it comes to negatively impact the dog world. It basically allows a dump spot for unscrupulous breeders to list there culls (or the dogs they can't sell) as "rescues". The dogs are often not anything near to what they're advertised as, and it allows the person responsible to remain fairly anonymous.

I don't get why people rescue dogs sight unseen from Tennessee, Louisiana, Etc when they probably have 200 dogs at shelters within 30 minutes of where they live. Other than getting an ego trip from having a "Katrina dog" it makes no sense to rescue a dog from anywhere other than a shelter near you.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #28
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
So here are a few more stupid questions.......

What "papers" should I receive when I buy from a breeder?

I'm assuming a contract from the breeder with a guarantee, as well as an official AKC form showing that the dog is registered?

Anything besides those 2 things?
At the very least you should be given a health guarantee, a pedigree that lists at least 5 generations of the lineage, and a vaccination history for the pup you're getting. Most breeders will also have a spay/neuter contract unless you've established up front that you're planning to breed the pup.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #29
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Don't be an idiot. There are tons of great dogs right now at the pound. Lots of purebreds too. Do something good with your life for a change besides all the women, drugs and loose living!
not to mention the average shelter adoption price is $150 to $200.

We bought Kali from a breeder and always thought we'd go that way. When we had to put her down, the only place I looked was shelters. The look on Parker's face when we left the shelter and got home was priceless.

then he pee'd on the rug.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #30
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #31
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
!

For laxtoberfest, we went as team "the dude"..our shorts were that rug.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #32
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

You can and will find a golden retriever puppy at either a local breed specific rescue shelter or regular shelter. They are one of the most commonly owned dogs in America. Dont spent 1500 on a dog with no papers. Just dont.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

Black dog rescue. Great organization.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #34
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Unless you are planning on making the dog a show animal why in the hell would you spend 1,500 bucks on it?
This. There are plenty of Golden's out there that look pure Golden that you don't need to get from a breeder. I got a Border Collie and Australian Shepherd from 2 separate rescues that have all the natural traits of the breeds. They were $200 each and that included shots and fixing them.

Not too mention you're supporting organizations that care for unwanted animals.

And you say you're not even getting papers??!! OP, unless you're going to show or breed them, you're a giant tit and I have a bridge in NY you may be interested in buying.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #35
Stan
Just Drafted

Any reputable breeder would be giving papers, they would just be limited. This just means that dog is not to be used for breeding and none of the offspring could be registered. Like Dedhed pointed out a lot of breededs specifiy in the contract that the dog is to be neutered/spayed once it reaches sexual maturity. It sounds to me like the breeder probably has a limited pedigree on one or both of the parents and is unable to register the litter. For that kind of money you should definitely be getting papers and both parents should be certified for hips and elbows and the pup should come with a full warranty. Personally I would keep looking.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #36
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Petfinder is one the worst additions to the dog rescue world. It's almost as awful as the AKC when it comes to negatively impact the dog world. It basically allows a dump spot for unscrupulous breeders to list there culls (or the dogs they can't sell) as "rescues". The dogs are often not anything near to what they're advertised as, and it allows the person responsible to remain fairly anonymous.

I don't get why people rescue dogs sight unseen from Tennessee, Louisiana, Etc when they probably have 200 dogs at shelters within 30 minutes of where they live. Other than getting an ego trip from having a "Katrina dog" it makes no sense to rescue a dog from anywhere other than a shelter near you.
I'm sure there are some examples of that, but Petfinder links to local shelters as well. I've adopted a Border Collie, a Red Healer, and my wife has adopted two cats via Petfinder and we went to the local shelter to visit them and eventually to pick them up.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #37
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
A few questions for anyone knowledgeable.......

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?

Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

Any input would be appreciated....
Nothing to see here ! Walk away !

For 1500 you could buy a breeder Vizsla, weimaraner or GSP. I know you love the GR but my point is those are some of the highest priced dogs around. GR;s although great dog are just not that much cash. Most Breeders will give you three prices. #1 show #2 Breeder #3 pet//working . If you buy the pet/worker they will not give you the papers until you fix the dog. You should always get papers on a dog of that price no matter what. Also make sure he is hip certified. that is very very important in the GR breed . They are known for hip displayshia (sp) . Hope this helps .

Also there is nothing wrong with buying from a breeder. You might look at rescue dogs as an alternative as well.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 05-20-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #38
milehighJC
Solid Starter

We have adopted 3 mutts into our family - one that was from a litter my brothers dog (yellow lab, golden retriever, husky). She was a blue eyed and loyal beauty. She was with us for 16 fantastic years. The next one was a shelter two time loser border collie chocolate lab. She was four when we got her, and had calmed enough by then to be the sweetest ball chaser you ever knew - she made it to 15. Now we have a Black Lab cross from the shelter. We got her as a 8 week old puppy, and is now a 108 pound lap dog.

The point - we LOVE shelter dogs. I don't have the data to prove it, but seems to me they lived longer with fewer problems than the purebreds that I know. You do have to be careful which one you select, but if you invest as much time as you would any major purchase, they will reward you with years of loyalty and love.

Now Im in a quandary... we met a Silver Lab last year. BEAUTIFUL dog... and not something we can find in a shelter. Im not interested in breeding or showing, but would love to have one. I have looked into breeders, and they run from $1500 - $2500. I understand they are a bit rare (recessive genes), and MAY BE prone to health problems. I suspect that we will give this up and find another friend for our black lab at the pound.

Anyone know anything about or have experience with Silver Labs?

jc
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #39
Bronco Yoda

Do not walk........................... but run away as fast as you can. No brainer.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #40
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He ruled that out in post one. Finding a purebred, non-damaged golden probably isn 't the easiest thing in the world.

And as much of a fan of adopting as I am, you're not saving a life around where 55 and I live. There's only one "kill shelter" within 3 hours of us and they only put down dangerous unplaceable dogs.

55, I did a ton of research 2 years ago before deciding on a boxer breeder and unless you're looking to breed it, I'd put more stock in meeting the same gender parent of the pup and the initial visit with your vet over getting the akc paperwork.
Thanks, Bean. And yes, I forgot, every shelter around here is "no kill". We actually looked at a lab mix but it wasn't selling cause it had sever respiratory issues. Also, with Goldens and Labs, good luck getting one at a shelter, cause they're so damn popular, they never last more than a day...and they're gone.

Anyway, I did some more research, and talked to the breeder more, too. Apparently, there is truth to the owner of the stud male not wanting any of the pups having breeding rights.

They'll have another litter ready to go soon, from a male that is there own. I saw the dog.....absolutely stunning. The woman was very understanding about my wanting the papers.....and suggested that I wait for this next litter. They'll give full papers, AKC registration, health guarantee, proof of first vaccinations, etc.

And for around here......$1,500 is normal for a Golden. More if you want breeding rights.

Thanks all for your input.

Last edited by 55CrushEm; 05-20-2014 at 11:55 AM..
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
not to mention the average shelter adoption price is $150 to $200.

We bought Kali from a breeder and always thought we'd go that way. When we had to put her down, the only place I looked was shelters. The look on Parker's face when we left the shelter and got home was priceless.

then he pee'd on the rug.
Here it is $90 for the adoption of a dog.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #42
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Here dogs are free to good homes.

I have three dogs.

two 15 year old Xoloitzcuintles (Mexican Hairless)

And one 2 year old Rottweiler

All are amazing fellows
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #43
milehighJC
Solid Starter

Default New Puppy

Update: we considered trying to find a Silver Lab from a breeder, but in the end I was not willing to shell out big bucks to a breeder when there are so many awesome dogs to be found to be adopted.

We adopted this little girl last week from a Denver based foster organization (Paws and Co.) They were fantastic, and she is a keeper of epic proportions. I don't really have any idea what she is (they said the thought she was Bulldog/Pointer), but I think she looks like she has some lab in her too. I don't know about bulldog, but I do believe she has some pointer in her.

We have had her for a week (now 11 weeks old), and she is nearly housebroken, sits, shakes, lays down, sits at every intersection while on walks, and even fetches a little, at least until she is distracted by the bug that just flew by.

I was already a fan of adopting from shelters, now I am even more so.

[/URL]
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #44
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Adopt! you can find some great dogs at shelters.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #45
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Nice looking pup!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #46
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighJC View Post
Update: we considered trying to find a Silver Lab from a breeder, but in the end I was not willing to shell out big bucks to a breeder when there are so many awesome dogs to be found to be adopted.

We adopted this little girl last week from a Denver based foster organization (Paws and Co.) They were fantastic, and she is a keeper of epic proportions. I don't really have any idea what she is (they said the thought she was Bulldog/Pointer), but I think she looks like she has some lab in her too. I don't know about bulldog, but I do believe she has some pointer in her.

We have had her for a week (now 11 weeks old), and she is nearly housebroken, sits, shakes, lays down, sits at every intersection while on walks, and even fetches a little, at least until she is distracted by the bug that just flew by.

I was already a fan of adopting from shelters, now I am even more so.

[/URL]
Good for you. Cute dog.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

New family members that don't b**** and complain are always great. Buying a doggie is so much better then getting married.

Congrats !
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #48
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighJC View Post

[/URL]
I'd go with Jack Russell long before bulldog.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #49
Bronco Yoda

Good choice
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #50
Ragnar
Solid Starter

hate them chiefs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

That dog, without papers, should cost 1/10th the price you're listing. Walk away.

The papers, and credentials are for breeding purposes. You pay for the lineage, and pureness of blood and proof that these things are pure. Nothing else.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote