The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default OT: Buying from a dog breeder

A few questions for anyone knowledgeable.......

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?

Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

Any input would be appreciated....
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

No papers WALK AWAY
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

"If it sounds too good to be true....."

Pass.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?
Any pedigree dog these days is going to run near a couple grand, that's reasonable.

Quote:
Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

This is absolutely not kosher. Any breeder that has any amount of professional credentials will ALWAYS have papers. There is never a reason not to. The excuse you sight is not an acceptable answer; any breeder (and responsible one's usually do) can have in a contract that says you will spay/neuter the dog you get before sexual maturity. The reputable breeders will make sure it's enforced too.

I have dealt with great breeders and sketchy ones. This guy sounds like the latter. That isn't to say he's a bad guy, or that he's doing anything overtly malicious, but at the very least he isn't taking the necessary steps that a good breeder should.

Go with a breeder who has NO red flags; if this guy isn't offering papers I doubt he's offering guarantees that a reputable breeder should; Like assurances against genetically passed health conditions, etc.

All a vet reference is going to give you is to say that the guy has had the puppies wormed a couple of times and that they've had their first round of shots. A veterinarian sees any extremely small cross section of how a breeder goes about things, and I wouldn't trust that cross-section all that much.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
It seems reasonable if you're not going to breed it.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Thanks all. I have some more work to do.

Anywho.....here's a few pics of the pup.....

Name:  pup 1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  199.3 KB
Name:  20140518_170933.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  215.0 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

How about adopting from a shelter and saving a life?

Just sayin'.....
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Any pedigree dog these days is going to run near a couple grand, that's reasonable.

This is absolutely not kosher. Any breeder that has any amount of professional credentials will ALWAYS have papers. There is never a reason not to. The excuse you sight is not an acceptable answer; any breeder (and responsible one's usually do) can have in a contract that says you will spay/neuter the dog you get before sexual maturity. The reputable breeders will make sure it's enforced too.

I have dealt with great breeders and sketchy ones. This guy sounds like the latter. That isn't to say he's a bad guy, or that he's doing anything overtly malicious, but at the very least he isn't taking the necessary steps that a good breeder should.

Go with a breeder who has NO red flags; if this guy isn't offering papers I doubt he's offering guarantees that a reputable breeder should; Like assurances against genetically passed health conditions, etc.

All a vet reference is going to give you is to say that the guy has had the puppies wormed a couple of times and that they've had their first round of shots. A veterinarian sees any extremely small cross section of how a breeder goes about things, and I wouldn't trust that cross-section all that much.
So here are a few more stupid questions.......

What "papers" should I receive when I buy from a breeder?

I'm assuming a contract from the breeder with a guarantee, as well as an official AKC form showing that the dog is registered?

Anything besides those 2 things?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Any particular reason you're going to a breeder?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
No papers WALK AWAY
This or the price dropped really really low.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Might also want to consider why you want the dog. Breeding, showing, or just being a dog for you or your family? If it's the latter, papers and higher cost may not need to be a priority.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Think of Breeders as salespeople too. Just like buying a car.

Make sure everything checks out, get a vet check, etc. That "If they're defective" guarantee is bull**** too, you're not going to put your pup down in 2 years and be like "I want my warranty exchange."
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Think of Breeders as salespeople too. Just like buying a car.

Make sure everything checks out, get a vet check, etc. That "If they're defective" guarantee is bull**** too, you're not going to put your pup down in 2 years and be like "I want my warranty exchange."
I had that issue with my male Shepherd from a breeder they awarded me a new pup. Yeah no way can you put down a dog after a yr or two unless it was cancer. He lasted 10 yrs with one bad hip but, he was slowed down well before he was a super dog.

Other problem that is people forget honoring warranty is great and landing a new dog but, you don't get a healthy version of the special dog traits you got before which is another bummer.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 05-19-2014 at 05:02 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post

Just sayin'.....
This!

Shelter dogs are awesome.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:

The money is on the papers, AKC registered, the bloodline (parent's), the breed should all be documented.
That's what pretty much certifies the dog is pure bred...
The dog'd parents should be AKC registered if you ever want to register your dog, what the owner doesn't want you to do is to profit from it if your dog was to sire its own bloodline
If you really like the dog, and it looks like a good pick for what I can see in the pic, then try to negotiate a better price in lieu of the papers.
A good certified/AKC registered bloodline commands big bucks
Im not sure if there's a way around to make your dog AKC registered if you don't have papers that show it's purebred

Last edited by strafen; 05-19-2014 at 05:23 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
He ruled that out in post one. Finding a purebred, non-damaged golden probably isn 't the easiest thing in the world.

And as much of a fan of adopting as I am, you're not saving a life around where 55 and I live. There's only one "kill shelter" within 3 hours of us and they only put down dangerous unplaceable dogs.

55, I did a ton of research 2 years ago before deciding on a boxer breeder and unless you're looking to breed it, I'd put more stock in meeting the same gender parent of the pup and the initial visit with your vet over getting the akc paperwork.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Just sayin'.....
How do you know these dogs would not eventually end up in a shelter. Happens all the time, even to purebreds. Don't lay that **** on him. Let the man buy whatever dog he wants.

I personally, would never pay that much for a Golden Retriever. That's way over priced for that breed. Papers or no papers. For that type of coin, you better get pick of the litter, papers, microchip, shots, and maybe even a backseat hummer before you leave. lol.

Last edited by ZONA; 05-19-2014 at 07:32 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

A 1500 dollar dog? I'm in the wrong business.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
This or the price dropped really really low.
Exactly. The price is par but not if you are not getting papers.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love Goldens. I've had three in my lifetime. One passed at nine, another at eight, and my most recent friend made it to fifteen! I loved them all so very much, they are an extremely loyal and loving breed. Purebred dogs are inbred however and can be very neurotic. The only golden I got from a breeder was Tory, she got bone cancer at seven. We removed the leg in hopes of prolonging her life, but she only lived another year, as the cancer had already spread. I got Maggie from a shelter as a puppy, and though she was neurotic and ate her own ****, she was an amazingly loyal and loving dog that lived to fifteen.

Bottom line, don't pay thousands of dollars for a dog. The price is that high because breeders are greedy and sucker people into buying the "perfect" dog.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

**** breeders got to the pound
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

From the pics you posted, that dog doesn't look like it's worth $1500 bucks.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

$1500 even for an AKC purebred Golden Retriever is outrageous.

Get one here

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...arge&pet_name=

or here

http://ygrr.org/adopt.html

Last edited by razorwire77; 05-19-2014 at 10:22 PM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Unless you are planning on making the dog a show animal why in the hell would you spend 1,500 bucks on it?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #25
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Really why not just go to the pound. The perfect dog for your family will look right at you and with the eye contact everyone will know this is the one. Happens all the time. Trust fate.

I mistakenly posted this in another thread. It was meant for here.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote