The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Offseason superlatives

Quote:
• Best use of win-now mentality

Denver goes all in and every other poker analogy that can be made: So this is what happens when you lose the Super Bowl by 35 points. You decide to go a little crazy with the defensive upgrades. DeMarcus Ware gets added to the defensive line. Cornerback Aqib Talib and safety T.J. Ward are new pieces for the secondary, as is first-round cornerback Bradley Roby. That'll work.

It had better. Because as everyone knows ... altogether now ... the clock is ticking on the Peyton Manning era in Denver. Or is his window closing? I forget. Either way, there's no time to waste. That's why even the Broncos' vaunted passing game was supplemented, with the departed Eric Decker being offset by the additions of ex-Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders and second-round pick Cody Latimer. This is a Manning-led team hoping the third time is the charm in its quest for a ring, and Super Bowl victory or bust is undeniably the backdrop this season in Denver.
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz31oOx6JD2

Last edited by TonyR; 05-15-2014 at 12:56 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Anyone else find the "all in" poker comparison tiresome? All in implies some kind of huge risk, which the Broncos havent done. They improved the team and have a squad good enough to compete. Why this is "all in" is beyond me.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Anyone else find the "all in" poker comparison tiresome? All in implies some kind of huge risk, which the Broncos havent done. They improved the team and have a squad good enough to compete. Why this is "all in" is beyond me.
Yes.

Furthermore, the Jaguars used it here last year....
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
...and most importantly have not set up a cap hell situation down the road.

If Oz works out the Broncos will be a contender for years to come as long as they have Elway calling the shots.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Problem is, that schedule is so unbelievably difficult, and the bye comes so damned early, I have a hard time believing the Broncos will survive the torture test intact.

I'm hoping Fox is smart enough to consider giving Manning, and for that matter, other key vets, a half off here and there, giving Osweiler and other bench depth an opportunity to prove they belong, or not.

Records are cool and everything, but I would like to see this team arrive in play-offs roughly resembling the roster that started the season.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Problem is, that schedule is so unbelievably difficult, and the bye comes so damned early, I have a hard time believing the Broncos will survive the torture test intact.

I'm hoping Fox is smart enough to consider giving Manning, and for that matter, other key vets, a half off here and there, giving Osweiler and other bench depth an opportunity to prove they belong, or not.

Records are cool and everything, but I would like to see this team arrive in play-offs roughly resembling the roster that started the season.
My guess is Denver will aim to play how they did in the AFC playoffs. If this is done successfully, there will be no records. Just dominant wins.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
My guess is Denver will aim to play how they did in the AFC playoffs. If this is done successfully, there will be no records. Just dominant wins.
I like this.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Denvers lack of physicality last year had them searching for an out; fishing for every opportunity. Sure, they folded in the Superbowl. But with some luck and perhaps the cards falling the Broncos way, they'll be back. I doubt they flush the season down the toilet. The club upped the ante this offseason and thats why it suits people to say their all in. I agree that poker terms can be stupid, but give them a chance. Just calling a spade a spade. Dont be a donk about it.

BTW what are the pot odds for Von? 20%? 60%? 100%?!?!?!

Last edited by NorthernistCaliforneeway7; 05-16-2014 at 02:11 PM..
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
Denvers lack of physicality last year had them searching for an out; fishing for every opportunity. Sure, they folded in the Superbowl. But with some luck and perhaps the cards falling the Broncos way, they'll be back. I doubt they flush the season down the toilet. The club upped the ante this offseason and thats why it suits people to say their all in. I agree that poker terms can be stupid, but give them a chance. Just calling a spade a spade. Dont be a donk about it.

I'm just saying "all in" assumes the broncos are putting something at risk. If they were ****ing their cap for the next 20 years in an attempt to win this year, that's going all in.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I'm just saying "all in" assumes the broncos are putting something at risk. If they were ****ing their cap for the next 20 years in an attempt to win this year, that's going all in.
I agree. They act like it's the desperate push, the last hand before walking out on the game. Sure, Manning's days are numbered, but Elway isn't sacrificing the future for the present, people keep acting like he is.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm sure most casual Broncos fans - including the authors of these "all in" articles, are assuming that we must have screwed our future cap-wise, in order to close all the deals we closed in March.

It's not their fault.

They're just lazy.

And ignern't.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:

Excellent.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home. I think the top teams in the NFC, most notably Seattle and San Fran, were clearly better. So I think the Broncos need to be better than they were in the AFC playoffs. And hopefully with the guys they're getting back from injuries and the new guys they brought in they can be.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home. I think the top teams in the NFC, most notably Seattle and San Fran, were clearly better. So I think the Broncos need to be better than they were in the AFC playoffs. And hopefully with the guys they're getting back from injuries and the new guys they brought in they can be.
This is completely besides the point. I'm talking about the style and pace. They played more of a ball control style offense, keeping opposing offenses off the field and the D fresh. NE never had a shot, and SD only did cuz the D started ****ting the bed at the end. Did the Broncos even punt in those games? Once maybe?

If they continue this style, they just won't rack up the points they did this past season simply because they will probably run less plays. Or that style of play could have just been coincidence.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home.
Because Den was fully healthy?

And SD gave Den the most trouble of all the AFC playoff teams, lowest PPG totals in both regular season games.

Last edited by LikeABoss5820; 05-15-2014 at 06:37 PM..
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Well, they'll probably lose some players, it's part of being a good/successful team/franchise but every team does.

That said, i agree they are in decent cap shape despite the signings. Most of the contracts they can get out of after 1-2 years if they choose to do so.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Directly from my post:

Quote:
And hopefully with the guys they're getting back from injuries ... they can be.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'm talking about the style and pace.
Yes, and I think the opponents had an awful lot to do with the "style and pace" we played. SD's and NE's defenses weren't remotely as good as Seattle's.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post

And SD gave Den the most trouble of all the AFC playoff teams, lowest PPG totals in both regular season games.

But, again, in that playoff game, the Broncos were completely dominant on O. They had some trouble in the red zone, but we didn't punt and held the ball for quite a long time. Its not like they slowed us down.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Theres a lot of risk in what the Broncos are doing, but Elways not afraid of the stakes or afraid to flop. And heres the kicker; he likes action and always has. Hes checked every turn there is and signed some of the best FA available. When you sign Ware, Ward, and Talib (all aggressive players who love the grind).....you aint bluffing. They all were pretty much a blind steal and the Broncos are definitely on an upswing.

Elway looks more loose and confident in making big bets. You might not personally buy in, but Ive bought in. The Broncos might have taken a bad beat last season, and the Balimore game (which one was worse? Id say its a push), but Elways putting all hes got into making sure this kind of **** doesnt happen again.

Last edited by NorthernistCaliforneeway7; 05-16-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Theres a lot of risk in what the Broncos are doing, but Elways not afraid of the stakes or afraid to flop. And heres the kicker; he likes action and always has. Hes checked every turn there is and signed some of the best FA available. When you sign Ware, Ward, and Talib (all aggressive players who love the grind).....you aint bluffing. They all were pretty much a blind steal and the Broncos are definitely on an upswing.

Elway looks more loose and confident in making big bets. You might not personally buy in, but Ive bought in. The Broncos might have taken a bad beat last season, and the Balimore game (which one was worse? Id say its a push), but Elways putting all hes got into making sure this kind of **** doesnt happen again.

Why is signing good players going all in? I think trying your hardest to build a good thing is different than going "all in," which implies youre putting everything on the line. The broncos future isn't mortgaged by this
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Why is signing good players going all in? I think trying your hardest to build a good thing is different than going "all in," which implies youre putting everything on the line. The broncos future isn't mortgaged by this
Because theres no limit to what Elway will do. He told Moreno to sit......and go. Things like that. How dont you get it?

Last edited by NorthernistCaliforneeway7; 05-16-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

"All in"? I thought it was "No plan B"
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

OZ = Plan 'B'.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Because theres no limit to what Elway will do. He told Moreno to sit......and go. Things like that. How dont you get it?
Because there is a limit to what Elway can do. Not **** the broncos future salary cap. He could have signed more players, backloaded the contracts, and saddled the future broncos with tons of dead money and a bloated cap. He's being responsible while fielding a championship quality team. How do YOU not get that?