The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Latimer to replace Decker this season

WOW! Hard to believe he could replace Decker right away

I believe they see Latimer as an Eric Decker successor soon — and maybe even this season. Decker (the former baseball player) was a good, not great, possession receiver due to be overvalued because of his Manning-driven numbers. Latimer (the former basketball player) will be a similar weapon, but a relative bargain, and that's significant in the cap era.

I believe they see Latimer as an Eric Decker successor soon — and maybe even this season. Decker (the former baseball player) was a good, not great, possession receiver due to be overvalued because of his Manning-driven numbers. Latimer (the former basketball player) will be a similar weapon, but a relative bargain, and that's significant in the cap era.

http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_25...#ixzz31WCW6skg

OR

Denver with wide receiver Cody Latimer, whom the Broncos project to replace Eric Decker (who signed with the Jets as a free agent) right away. If he works out the way John Elway thinks, surrendering the four next year will be nothing.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/12/the-20...with-a-kiss/6/
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

That would seem to leave Caldwell looking for work and Sanders playing in spot duty, unless Welker's the odd man out, which I'd doubt.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Has anyone else noticed that Latimer's butt looks JUST LIKE Larry Fitzgerald's butt?

I'm just sayin'.....

Last edited by BowlenBall; 05-12-2014 at 09:25 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Heck, IF Latimer reaches his full potential, he could eventually replace DT. For right now, it's Sanders who will take Decker's place. Welker will be in the slot. If any of these WR's get hurt, the Broncos have Caldwell and Latimer to step in.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Brohemoth
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Heck, IF Latimer reaches his full potential, he could eventually replace DT. For right now, it's Sanders who will take Decker's place. Welker will be in the slot. If any of these WR's get hurt, the Broncos have Caldwell and Latimer to step in.
You may be right. I know it's insanely premature but Latimer has the mentality that he can catch any ball, no matter what position he or the defender are in. He will go up, over, and around the DB and make those "wow" catches. DT is a beast in his own right, but he does not have that mentality.

An example that comes to mind is Brandon Marshall's catch as a Bronco against Dallas, where the corner was waiting for the interception and Marshall just put his arms over the guy and made the catch on his way to a TD. That is the type of catch Latimer shows he can make on tape.

Last edited by Brohemoth; 05-12-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I would be surprised if he caught 40 balls this year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Qft

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGa7UKAFnI
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Bronco Yoda

Replacing Decker? Has Latimer pissed off the turf monster gods already? Is there a sacrificial ceremony we can perform for this?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

He's going to need time to learn the system and get better running routes. He can contribute, but I see his role being small and growing over the course of the season and then starting in 2015.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Elway obviously loves this guy. If they do try to start working him in at the #2 right away, who's the odd man out? Sounds to me like Welker is gone, gone, gone after the season.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Latimer's butt looks JUST LIKE Larry Fitzgerald's butt?

I'm just sayin'.....

Dude, if your gonna compare butts you gotta post a better angle on Latimer.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
Elway obviously loves this guy. If they do try to start working him in at the #2 right away, who's the odd man out? Sounds to me like Welker is gone, gone, gone after the season.
Uh, we had Decker and brought in Welker anyway. Can't see how this changes the formula all that much. Even assuming Latimer's up to the job.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Uh, we had Decker and brought in Welker anyway. Can't see how this changes the formula all that much. Even assuming Latimer's up to the job.
Sanders does. I assume this is welkers last year in denver too. But I thought this before the Latimer selection.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Well, considering we signed Sanders to a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal. I'd say someone is going to be missing some action if Latimer does come in right away.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Sanders can play inside so he'll spell Welker more than he'll "replace" Decker. I am not optimistic Latimer will do much his rookie year. If he does, Elway is a genius. I have seen Manning make lesser receivers look better than they are especially early. He's in the perfect opportunity. It's just a matter of him getting used to the speed of the game. Most receivers take at least a year to really pick up steam. Latimer is pretty raw out of the box, so to expect really anything from him, especially early in the season, isn't realistic.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

No question that Latimer is the next Jerry Rice, I mean its obvious
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Sanders can play inside so he'll spell Welker more than he'll "replace" Decker. I am not optimistic Latimer will do much his rookie year. If he does, Elway is a genius. I have seen Manning make lesser receivers look better than they are especially early. He's in the perfect opportunity. It's just a matter of him getting used to the speed of the game. Most receivers take at least a year to really pick up steam. Latimer is pretty raw out of the box, so to expect really anything from him, especially early in the season, isn't realistic.
I don't think he'll do much early on, outside of some redzone packages. But I have a feeling later in the season, Elway will be looking pretty smart.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Of course he can replace Decker this season how hard is it to learn where's the flag whine.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
No question that Latimer is the next Jerry Rice, I mean its obvious
Well I was swayed once the butt comparison was pointed out. The logic is iron-clad and cannot be denied.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

The learning curve for rookie wr's is steep, esp for a complicated system that Denver runs. I will be happy if Latimore can just get in some packages and learn without pressure.

If, by late in the season, he has taken over the 1st backup spot from Caldwell-by earning it!- then all the better, and I think you could call his rookie season successful.

I actually think it is Roby that has the best chance to start, but even that will probably be somewhere in the season.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Welker will be gone after this season - but in the mean time the Broncos will use him like a rented mule.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I hope he's the next Darius Watts, aka the Claw II. Jk of course
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well, considering we signed Sanders to a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal. I'd say someone is going to be missing some action if Latimer does come in right away.
I see what you're saying. But I don't think Latimer's going to step into Welker's shoes at any point. If anything, Sanders is that guy. My bet is that they want depth and leverage because of DT's upcoming free agency more than anything. And that's not to say Welker might not be done after this year. It's a strong possibility.

But I don't think Latimer makes that any more or less likely than it was before.

edit: Never mind, looks like Khan mostly made this point.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 05-12-2014 at 10:28 AM..
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post

I'm just sayin'.....

OMG. Horrible.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Welker will be gone after this season - but in the mean time the Broncos will use him like a rented mule.
I've been hoping we would resign him on the cheap after the season. If I'm not mistaken, his wife's folks live nearby, and they seem to really like it there. But I've also heard from a pretty good source in Lubbock that he wants to move back there after retirement, (he's about to open up a bar or two there)so he might just take the most possible money he can get for two years and call it a career. If all else fails, he seems to have some pretty stellar gambling skills when it comes to horse racing.