The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favorite Foreign Foods
Thai 19 20.88%
Japanese 19 20.88%
Italian 36 39.56%
Mexican 40 43.96%
Middle Eastern 10 10.99%
Indian 14 15.38%
Chinese 20 21.98%
French 8 8.79%
Peruvian 1 1.10%
Vietnamese 10 10.99%
Greek 9 9.89%
Anything else I might have missed. 10 10.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #151
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Some of the best restaurants I've been to leave alot to be desired as far as decor. Food is usually off the chain though.

When I was growing up in Denver, there used to be this mexican restaurant on the east side (can't remember the name) that made what they called a "Mexican hamburger."

Almost like a fajita except they would shape a beef patty like a half moon, put it inside a flour tortilla with the vegetables and cover it with a green chile sauce.

Getting hungry just thinking about it!
Word brother- I love discovering tasting food joints that are off the beaten path. Growing up overseas I have always been an adventurous eater- there's not a whole lot that I wouldn't try.

Getting hungry too thinking about some dim sum....
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #152
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone ever eaten Camel before?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #153
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
Anyone ever eaten Camel before?
Yup -- camel burgers rock, actually (very lean meat, not too gamey). We can buy it at the supermarket at Abu Dhabi here, and I've made some pretty good camel jerky at home a few times. Beef is better, to be honest, but camel's very serviceable.

If you're ever in AD, go to the Manarat Al Sadiyat museum, they have an excellent camel burger at the Fanr Restaurant.

http://www.saadiyat.ae/en/Uploads/pd...nu_A3_FA-1.pdf
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #154
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Yup -- camel burgers rock, actually (very lean meat, not too gamey). We can buy it at the supermarket at Abu Dhabi here, and I've made some pretty good camel jerky at home a few times. Beef is better, to be honest, but camel's very serviceable.

If you're ever in AD, go to the Manarat Al Sadiyat museum, they have an excellent camel burger at the Fanr Restaurant.

Fly me out there.

Wait is that in US Dollars!? The menu?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #155
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

how funny is that? I lived in Abu Dhabi growing up (I think you and I have had this conversation before) and that's where I had it as well.

We traded photos of an Arab wedding for some of the food they prepared back in the day. They had goat as well, which I love!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #156
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Fly me out there.

Wait is that in US Dollars!? The menu?
Probably durhams (the equivalent of 25 cents depending on exchange rate)- correct me if I'm wrong Bowlenball- it's been a long time since I've been there...
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #157
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I just hardly drink anymore.

1-2 beers and I'm good... my college days of putting back a fifth of Burnett's, getting cock blocked from sorority girls, misplacing road signs, corrupting freshmen at seedy Colfax strip clubs, and 4am Waffle House is over. Even if I tried it, my body would take three days to recover.

I guess I'm getting old.
F.Y.P.

Unless I am in Vegas, I cannot remember last time I had to sober up at a Denny's at 2AM in the morning.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #158
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
how funny is that? I lived in Abu Dhabi growing up (I think you and I have had this conversation before) and that's where I had it as well.

We traded photos of an Arab wedding for some of the food they prepared back in the day. They had goat as well, which I love!

Yup, I'm old school expatriate, but you're downright stone-age expat!

Prices are in dirhams on that menu, by the way (3.67 dirhams to the dollar, fixed price).

You've gotta come back here some time, 91BRONCO, just to see how it's all changed -- feel free to crash at my place for a few days, if you'd like.....
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #159
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yup, I'm old school expatriate, but you're downright stone-age expat!

Prices are in dirhams on that menu, by the way (3.67 dirhams to the dollar, fixed price).

You've gotta come back here some time, 91BRONCO, just to see how it's all changed -- feel free to crash at my place for a few days, if you'd like.....
it's definitely been a while- back in 89 was the last time I was there.

I might have to take you up on your offer in the future- It would be good to take a trip down memory lane...
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #160
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Hmmm... not Chinese? This sounds like a fun parlor game....

Your profile says you're based in Texas, your OM handle is SleepingTiger, and you seem partial to asian food...

Are you Dat Nguyen?

yes! because i am the only asian in dallas who knows that football doesn't involve kicking a round ball with your feet..

anyways, i am partial to all good foods. food is too good to be stuck on one type.

I love me some bbq, i smoke some serious meats. i bought a cookshack last year and its nice!

i own a lynx grill and can make a perfect filet med rare. central market carries the best meats besides the local butcher.

i enjoy eating persian food. especially enjoy kabobs and the rice.

love me some italian, just some of it is quite rich.

my wife and I enjoy eating out. we eat out atleast twice a week. Here in dallas, addison has all the nice restaurants. I been to most of them. ruth chris, 3 forks, fo go, chamberlands, bobs, and bunch more. There is a bunch more uptown that we go to that are small but extremely good. we also been to some french restaurants, but seeing that large plate with small portions at such a high price wasn't that great.

not sure if anyone been to twisted roots, but they specialize in gourmet burgers with different types of meat. i already had buffalo, elk and ostrich. taste great.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #161
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Are we still talking about food?
Mostly.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #162
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post

not sure if anyone been to twisted roots, but they specialize in gourmet burgers with different types of meat. i already had buffalo, elk and ostrich. taste great.
I've been to the one in Roanoke. I stuck with beef, but got some kind of loaded up BBQ burger. It was delicious.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #163
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
my wife and I enjoy eating out. we eat out atleast twice a week. Here in dallas, addison has all the nice restaurants. I been to most of them. ruth chris, 3 forks, fo go, chamberlands, bobs, and bunch more. There is a bunch more uptown that we go to that are small but extremely good. we also been to some french restaurants, but seeing that large plate with small portions at such a high price wasn't that great.
We recently took some friends to the Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Dubai -- we wanted to introduce them to some really good, authentic "American" food!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #164
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
F.Y.P.

Unless I am in Vegas, I cannot remember last time I had to sober up at a Denny's at 2AM in the morning.
Vegas usually will do the trick. Except I usually don't sober up until around lunch the next day at margaritaville.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #165
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We recently took some friends to the Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Dubai -- we wanted to introduce them to some really good, authentic "American" food!
that made me chuckle...

What do you think about goat?

Prepared correctly (raised correctly and the right cut) I can't get enough of the stuff. Curried goat is one of my all time favorite dishes.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #166
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

New Saigon Bakery-

The Bahn Mi's are delicious and are only $4. They put Subway/Jimmy Johns/etc to shame with the meats and fresh vegetables for the price.

I usually grab two when I go so that I have one for later- am I the only one
Old 05-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #167
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
that made me chuckle...

What do you think about goat?

Prepared correctly (raised correctly and the right cut) I can't get enough of the stuff. Curried goat is one of my all time favorite dishes.

This is what happens when you raise a young Amurican boy in the middle east... Curried goat? What's wrong with a simple, honest hamburger and some french fries?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #168
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

This is what happens when you raise a young Amurican boy in the middle east... Curried goat? What's wrong with a simple, honest hamburger and some french fries?
Actually, it was the curried goat in Jamaica that really got me hooked on it. I've tried to replicate it on my own with some success but it's never quite the same. Goat can have a certain funk if not sourced properly although tracking down the proper spices is really the hardest part.

At the end of the day, I'm just drawn to ethnic food of all types and could really care less about typical American fare- drives my girlfriend nuts though.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #169
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
yes! because i am the only asian in dallas who knows that football doesn't involve kicking a round ball with your feet..
What are your thoughts on Jeremy Lin?

OT: I like all foods.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #170
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Dim Sum in Denver- Where do you all go?

My favorites are Star Kitchen, Kingsland, Super Star and some joint east of I25 on Evans although they only serve it on the weekend.
HELL YEAH! Star Kitchen was my favorite except for the last 3 months. But thankfully Superstar has picked it up and gotten better. There is a place up north now on 120th and Main (Empresses Palace I think) . Not great but its so far north that I'll compromise.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #171
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Here is some of my favorite when i go out to chinese

jellyfish, chicken feet, deep fried shrimp ball, steamed xl squid sliced, salty fried squid, dungeness crab palm leaf fried rice , shrimp crepe, steam custard buns.

HELL YEAH! "Phoenix Claw"!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #172
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
I would like to try these. Any good?

maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #173
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:

There's a lot of great American food. But if I were to put a hamburger vs. a curried goat. I think the goat might be a little bit better. Just sayin'.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #174
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
HELL YEAH! Star Kitchen was my favorite except for the last 3 months. But thankfully Superstar has picked it up and gotten better. There is a place up north now on 120th and Main (Empresses Palace I think) . Not great but its so far north that I'll compromise.
It's kind of weird- it's like they all go through cycles of goodness at times. Star Kitchen seems to be the favorite of most people I poll. Superstar is good but they never put enough meat in the BBQ pork buns. Kingsland has the best pork buns and are sometimes my all around favorite.

It really just depends upon the day, time and dishes that you order and can definitely be overwhelming if you are a newbie going on a Saturday or Sunday.

I like all the shrimp dishes with the steamed shrimp ball being my favorite (hard to find though), tripe, short ribs (beef and pork), shu mai, anything leek related- and who doesn't love some duck with crispy skin...

I think I have to go to dim sum tomorrow now Z
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #175
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
It's kind of weird- it's like they all go through cycles of goodness at times. Star Kitchen seems to be the favorite of most people I poll. Superstar is good but they never put enough meat in the BBQ pork buns. Kingsland has the best pork buns and are sometimes my all around favorite.

It really just depends upon the day, time and dishes that you order and can definitely be overwhelming if you are a newbie going on a Saturday or Sunday.

I like all the shrimp dishes with the steamed shrimp ball being my favorite (hard to find though), tripe, short ribs (beef and pork), shu mai, anything leek related- and who doesn't love some duck with crispy skin...

I think I have to go to dim sum tomorrow now Z
Its been a long time for him since my last visit (2 months). I think I need to go in for another fix. If the Dim Sum here was as good as LA or Chicago I'd be there everyday, but I'd be 300 lbs.