The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Not true for areas I have fished the last 10 years(Homer, Seward, Russian River). The halibut and salmon are the best I've ever eaten.
Over here in the middle east, the only salmon you can get in the supermarkets is that crappy farmed salmon from Norway/Scotland. A fresh salmon steak (red or silver) from the Kenai river would absolutely blow people's minds -- wild vs. farmed salmon is an amazing difference, and Alaskan wild vs. any other wild is yet another magnitude of order better (but I might be a homer on that point).

Last edited by BowlenBall; 05-01-2014 at 08:29 PM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #27
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
You bet! As you know, you can't go to Homer and not have a beer or two at the Salty Dog.
*Dawg
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #28
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
*Dawg
You are correct, sir!
R8R H8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #29
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I hope Champ goes up there before TC and has Chef make him a Samitch.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #30
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I hope Champ goes up there before TC and has Chef make him a Samitch.
In Alaska, all 40s are run in snowshoes....

Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #31
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Nice! Have a drink at the Salty Dawg for me, my brothers....

I've been there....it's right on the Homer Spit, if I recall correctly.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I've been there....it's right on the Homer Spit, if I recall correctly.
It is, indeed -- and bonus points for using the term "spit" correctly.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #33
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Lived in Fairbanks for 6 years. Remember having to stay in the car while my dad dumped the garbage as bears often came flying out of the dumpsters. Had moose wander in the front yard and a siren would go off warning people. Made ice skating rinks in the yard all the time. Days that were days forever and nights that lasted much too long. Cars with their hoods up all night with batteries plugged in with blankets over them. Going to dog sled races and the greatest day....the first day of the year we could wear shorts. It is a very different country, awesomely beautiful, and to an extent, overwhelming. I'm somewhat jealous. Haven't been back in awhile.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #34
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Lived in Fairbanks for 6 years. Remember having to stay in the car while my dad dumped the garbage as bears often came flying out of the dumpsters. Had moose wander in the front yard and a siren would go off warning people. Made ice skating rinks in the yard all the time. Days that were days forever and nights that lasted much too long. Cars with their hoods up all night with batteries plugged in with blankets over them. Going to dog sled races and the greatest day....the first day of the year we could wear shorts. It is a very different country, awesomely beautiful, and to an extent, overwhelming. I'm somewhat jealous. Haven't been back in awhile.
Too funny... for 15-year-old me, this was a huge deal as well. Didn't give a **** that it was only 50 degrees out, I had been waiting for 7 months to wear shorts, goddamit!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #35
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Thanks all for your encouragment and salutations !
This is NOT my first trip to AK, i have driven the alcan and fished the kenia and red river.
Skagway, seward, homer, denali, kayaking, river rafting, the prince willy sound...
But this is the first time Iam going for summer employment.
I will keep in touch with all my fellow and female maners and hopefully see some of you when that seatle game goes down
I leave may 9th, thanks again for the positive vibes.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #36
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
Thanks all for your encouragment and salutations !
This is NOT my first trip to AK, i have driven the alcan and fished the kenia and red river.
Skagway, seward, homer, denali, kayaking, river rafting, the prince willy sound...
But this is the first time Iam going for summer employment.
I will keep in touch with all my fellow and female maners and hopefully see some of you when that seatle game goes down
I leave may 9th, thanks again for the positive vibes.
Hope you enjoy it, my man -- remember to breathe deeply as much as possible, the air is so much cleaner and full of oxygen than just about anywhere else on earth. Just talking about it makes me homesick.

There's nowhere else I'd rather be in May-September... if only the winters weren't so damn brutal!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #37
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Not true for areas I have fished the last 10 years(Homer, Seward, Russian River). The halibut and salmon are the best I've ever eaten.
I am talking since the Fuukishima spilled radiation in the ocean the last 2 years.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #38
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
So will I, for the 10th year in a row! I will be in Homer 6th-8th fishing for Halibut, maybe Kings, and Seward 12-14th fishing for bottom fish and Silvers. Have you been there before? There is a reason we go back every year.
Nope. Never been. Which is shocking as I have traveled extensively around the World and am passionate about fishing.

This will be a quick trip, as we are dropping off the 2 and 3 year old in SEA and have limited time.

Trying to decide how best to spend the fishing time. So many choices. I was leaning towards bringing our packrafts and hitting the Kenai River canyon area or similar. However could hit the Bay in a rental boat. Or do a charter out of Homer.

Any fishing must-do recommendations for first week of Aug?
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #39
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
Nope. Never been. Which is shocking as I have traveled extensively around the World and am passionate about fishing.

This will be a quick trip, as we are dropping off the 2 and 3 year old in SEA and have limited time.

Trying to decide how best to spend the fishing time. So many choices. I was leaning towards bringing our packrafts and hitting the Kenai River canyon area or similar. However could hit the Bay in a rental boat. Or do a charter out of Homer.

Not sure how the fish will be biting (every season is different), but for just enjoying nature and scenery, the Kenai River option you mention above is vastly better. Fishing in Kachemak Bay / around the Homer area can be pretty windy and cold, even in the middle of summer. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty fabulous, but if I could only choose one, I would choose to be slow-trolling on a packraft on the Kenai somewhere. It's like being in the middle of a picture postcard. With the possibility of hooking a 50-lb. king salmon at any moment....

... and don't forget to post hero pictures when you come back!

Last edited by BowlenBall; 05-02-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #40
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I just hope that Chef has internet trouble during the season while in Alaska.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #41
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

the kenia is amazing, even if you never catch a fish !
But first week of august may be a little late in the season for parts of the kenai.
Get some reliable info on that specific week for salmon fishing!
Fighting a 50 pound KING is the best short of a 200 pound marlin.
Halibut fishing is like pulling up luggage, so unless your first priority is filling a freezer, go for the king salmon !
Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #42
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Hope you enjoy it, my man -- remember to breathe deeply as much as possible, the air is so much cleaner and full of oxygen than just about anywhere else on earth. Just talking about it makes me homesick.

There's nowhere else I'd rather be in May-September... if only the winters weren't so damn brutal!
I am just hopefull i get enough dark night to enjoy some star gazing The alaskan ski at night transcends life on earth I am so damned excited!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #43
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
But first week of august may be a little late in the season for parts of the kenai.
Halibut fishing is like pulling up luggage, so unless your first priority is filling a freezer, go for the king salmon !
This.

It's a good picture when you haul in a 200-pound halibut, but it's not nearly as exciting as catching a 25-pound silver or red salmon.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #44
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
I am just hopefull i get enough dark night to enjoy some star gazing The alaskan ski at night transcends life on earth I am so damned excited!
If you're up in the Copper River area from June-August, you'll have about 60 minutes of true dark per night.

However, having a daylight barbeque at 10:30 p.m. is also a pretty otherworldly experience. Enjoy it, my man, I'm truly jealous.

(time lapse photo of midnight in that area below)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #45
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So which cruise line are you working for Zam? I still say Princess but id be fun to know. Come on, you can spill the beans. It wont affect anything.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #46
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Kupesdad can also fill you in on places in the Anchorage area, I believe (if he's still checking this site)....
I've lived here for 50 years so I can fill you in on pretty much the entire state. PM me with any questions you may have and I will answer it to the best of my ability based on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. It is a beautiful state and depending on time and money I can definitely give you my opinion on what I would do in your place. kupe
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #47
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

[/IMG]
Quote:
This.

It's a good picture when you haul in a 200-pound halibut, but it's not nearly as exciting as catching a 25-pound silver or red salmon.
Since a 25 lb red or silver would be a world record... Silver's (coho) can get close to that but a big Red (sockeye) is anything over 12 lbs.

Name:  IMG_0274.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  146.3 KB

Last edited by kupesdad; 05-02-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #48
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The salmon are fine.. halibut too although the one's that are 100 lbs + have parasites but they are all protein.. mmmmm Here is a 40lb rainbow trout

Name:  IMG_0590.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  116.5 KB
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #49
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Unfortunately the King Salmon season on the Kenai expires on July 31. You can catch rainbows and possibly silvers at that time although it's a bit early for silvers. The king fishery the last 6-7 years has been awful due to overfishing by commercial trawlers and others but there are other options. You are correct with regard to halibut... too much like work.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #50
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Kupe....you fish much for northern pike?

Alaska is often overlooked when people think of trophy northern pike fishing (due to the popularity of other species), but I know there are some lakes and rivers that offer outstanding northern fishing.

I do a lot of fishing for northerns, walleye, lake trout, splake, and brook trout in remote outposts in Ontario and Manitoba in Canada, but plan on doing a lot of fishing in Alaska in the future.

I've been to Alaska three times, but didn't do much fishing as my dad was a wildlife photographer and the trips revolved around photographing wildlife (brown bears most of the time).
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote