The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Cell phone advise.

We have decided to switch to AT&T . Now it's down to cell phones. So many choices, which one to buy ?

I'm thinking either the HTC one M8 or the S5.

Really liked the holdability of the HTC, liked the all metal construction but the dude said it sucks if you drop it in a beer and is ruined almost right away. I watched a video however with it being submerged in a bowl of water for 5 minutes and it was fine.

Now to the S5

I really like the M8 better but the functions of this phone are pretty amazing. I like the fact that it is water resistant to 1 meter. It also has a high speed usb 3 hub so down loading vids and pic's would be much faster. The screen is pretty amazing, the pic's are very bright and vivid. More so then on the M8 . The camera is way better however I think I like the look of the M8 photos more. It does shoot video in 4.4k which is pretty sick.

Anyways you all were a great help with the phone companies.

How about your input on Phones.

Thanks.

PS
We leave for Jamaica in 6 days. I would like to take them on the trip so I don't have to pack a camera. So time is a factor here. Don't know if this will matter or not but figured if there was going to be a deal in the future that won't matter much.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
We have decided to switch to AT&T . Now it's down to cell phones. So many choices, which one to buy ?

I'm thinking either the HTC one M8 or the S5.

Really liked the holdability of the HTC, liked the all metal construction but the dude said it sucks if you drop it in a beer and is ruined almost right away. I watched a video however with it being submerged in a bowl of water for 5 minutes and it was fine.

Now to the S5

I really like the M8 better but the functions of this phone are pretty amazing. I like the fact that it is water resistant to 1 meter. It also has a high speed usb 3 hub so down loading vids and pic's would be much faster. The screen is pretty amazing, the pic's are very bright and vivid. More so then on the M8 . The camera is way better however I think I like the look of the M8 photos more. It does shoot video in 4.4k which is pretty sick.

Anyways you all were a great help with the phone companies.

How about your input on Phones.

Thanks.

PS
We leave for Jamaica in 6 days. I would like to take them on the trip so I don't have to pack a camera. So time is a factor here. Don't know if this will matter or not but figured if there was going to be a deal in the future that won't matter much.
I'm not an AT&T client so I'm not sure how they work, but I'm pretty sure Jamaica is something you'll want to contact AT&T about before you go. That was my experience with Verizon anyway.

If I remember right though I think AT&T uses GSM 3g service. Verizon is CDMA. And I think (again from memory) that Jamaica's 3g coverage is better in CDMA. If you can find 4g coverage, it shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure how widespread that is in Jamaica at this point.

Oh, and buy a global data plan for how much data you think you'll need. You want no part of their pay-go rates.

As for phones, I'm up in a few months. HTC One would be the phone I'd buy today. I'll look at it again when the time comes though.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I'm not an AT&T client so I'm not sure how they work, but I'm pretty sure Jamaica is something you'll want to contact AT&T about before you go. That was my experience with Verizon anyway.

If I remember right though I think AT&T uses GSM 3g service. Verizon is CDMA. And I think (again from memory) that Jamaica's 3g coverage is better in CDMA. If you can find 4g coverage, it shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure how widespread that is in Jamaica at this point.

Oh, and buy a global data plan for how much data you think you'll need. You want no part of their pay-go rates.

As for phones, I'm up in a few months. HTC One would be the phone I'd buy today. I'll look at it again when the time comes though.

HTC one is the way I leaning but everything I read or video I watch seems to say go S5. Usually when I research a product it points me in the direction I want to go. In this case the more I research these two the more confused I get. These are both amazing but one has to be the winner.

I really wanted the Lumina by Nokia because I like the camera's a lot . However everything I read was it was a bad ass camera with a ****y phone.

I do like that the M8 uses a Ultra pixel rather then the standard however 4 meg is stll 4 meg. The 3d viewing sounds interesting too. Here again though you can get that from the 16 meg camera on the S5 but is looked digital and I don't like that.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...hlight=verison
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

AT&T was your first mistake
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
HTC one is the way I leaning but everything I read or video I watch seems to say go S5. Usually when I research a product it points me in the direction I want to go. In this case the more I research these two the more confused I get. These are both amazing but one has to be the winner.

I really wanted the Lumina by Nokia because I like the camera's a lot . However everything I read was it was a bad ass camera with a ****y phone.

I do like that the M8 uses a Ultra pixel rather then the standard however 4 meg is stll 4 meg. The 3d viewing sounds interesting too. Here again though you can get that from the 16 meg camera on the S5 but is looked digital and I don't like that.
Megapixel ratings are pretty much the last thing I care about when buying a phone. 16 megapixels of data to capture whatever the hell happens to make it through the (probably smudged) plastic cover over the phone's lens/ccd is more a waste than anything.

In modern cameras, optics are more important than megapix ratings. The only thing a ton of megapixels do for you through ****ty cell phone optics is ensure that your ****ty cell phone pics take up 4 times as much memory.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Megapixel ratings are pretty much the last thing I care about when buying a phone. 16 megapixels of data to capture whatever the hell happens to make it through the (probably smudged) plastic cover over the phone's lens/ccd is more a waste than anything.

In modern cameras, optics are more important than megapix ratings. The only thing a ton of megapixels do for you through ****ty cell phone optics is ensure that your ****ty cell phone pics take up 4 times as much memory.
Normally I would agree but the cameras on these too phones are off the charts. In fact if it wern't for the damn camera on the S5 I think it would be a lay down case of HTC .

From left to right Iphone, Samsung, 1M8

http://orangemane.com/BB/attachment....1&d=1399478530
Attached Images

Last edited by Quoydogs; 05-07-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
AT&T was your first mistake
Same coverage of Verizon but 50 bucks less a month and that's with 4 phones not 3. Also I was a faithful customer of Verizon for 10 years and I asked them what they were going to do to keep me a customer. I went through the details and they basically said they will do nothing. So i'm moving on on principle alone.

Now back to the subject please.

Phones ? What do you have ? Do you like it ? Would you buy it or something new ?

Thanks

Last edited by Quoydogs; 05-07-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

iPhone pic looks the best. Maybe cause I'm looking at it on an iPhone screen.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Normally I would agree but the cameras on these too phones are off the charts. In fact if it wern't for the damn camera on the S5 I think it would be a lay down case of HTC .

From left to right Iphone, Samsung, 1M8

http://orangemane.com/BB/attachment....1&d=1399478530
Yeah, if the camera's that important to you it looks like the S5 has an edge. Generally if I want better quality pictures as I travel, I bring a point and shoot along, if not the wife's SLR. Still haven't seen the cell phone that's made me rethink that. But I've never looked at the output from an S5.

Anyway, you might've read this already but it looks like a pretty fresh comparison of the two.

http://www.zdnet.com/one-month-with-...s5-7000029121/
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I suggest one of these:

Can't take pictures, but is awesome for beating back muggers on the mean streets of Jamaica.

I've primarily owned iPhones for smartphones and one galaxy s4. I liked the galaxy, but it was real glitchy. I've got an iPhone 5 right now and it works well enough for me and I know the system. I know it doesn't have the widgets of the droids, but I don't find those particularly useful, other than the one the weather and score keeper ones. Otherwise tapping a screen two times works for me. I also couldn't tell a difference in there cameras. All the friggin phone cameras are better than the last digital camera I bought, so I have not had anything but a phone camera for the last three years.

So my recommendation, and clearly I am an expert, is get the phone for the mobile operating system you like best. Also, AT&T offers you 30 days to return any phone after purchase, use that as a learning curve if you want to try something different than normal.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote