The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Current Trends in the NFL

SiriusXM 'Movin the chains' had a bit on the 3 trends currently happening in the NFL, and I would like to hear what you guys think

1. Fast Paced/ No Huddle Offenses - They were talking about how the Packers, Chargers and the Steelers plan to implement No Huddle Offenses in 2014 to copy the successful framework the Patriots and Broncos are using. The Patriots obviously were the first to use this system, have been ahead of the curve for almost a decade. They also mentioned that the no huddle is only good for a certain type of quarterback, the "Field General type". My question is: With more and more teams switching to the no huddle style offense, does this mean that defenses will get 'used' to it; making the no huddle not as effective? And will defensive coordinators use more cardiovascular exercises than ever at an attempt to condition the defensive players to have the ability to 'keep up' and not have to substitute as often? And are Rogers, Rivers and Roethlisberger the type to pull it off?

2. Large Physical Defensive Backs - Seattle was obviously the first with the Broncos and Patriots following suit this year in FA, and many other teams around the league drafting large CBs early in the draft. The league thinks this is part of the answer to slow down Pass first/ No huddle offenses that are slowly becoming popular.

3. Smaller Quick Fast Receivers? - This is something they also touched on SiriusXM. A possible counter move to the league trending toward large Defensive Backs could be smaller quick fast receivers. The idea is that small Wes Welker type guys can run a quick fast route inside with a short quick pass to use the CBs size against them.

I thought it was a very interesting bit.

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 07-15-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Kevin8Nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I rate this thread: TWO TANGERINES

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Yeah it is one of the current trends, but its nothing new. Watch Sam Wyche's Cincinnati Bengals from the early 1980's Or Glanville's Oilers from the 80's or the Bill's in the early 90's. The hurry up has been around for a long time it's a cyclical thing.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I rate this thread: TWO TANGERINES

Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

I rate this thread: A CAN OF GENERIC MANDARIN ORANGES

crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bah, I still think any GM would take a fast, sure-handed BIG WR before taking a smaller guy. I don't think Calvin Johnson has any problems handling larger CB's. Obviously you still like to have a quicker shifty guy out there too but the bigger guy with speed will still have more value.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

The smaller quicker receiver thing is a few years out of date - Welker, Desean, Amendola, Eddie Royal. And give me the DT or Calvin Johnson freaks of nature instead (both are nice to have and complement each other)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I rate this thread: A CAN OF GENERIC MANDARIN ORANGES

Whole segments. Nice!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
SiriusXM 'Movin the chains' had a bit on the 3 trends currently happening in the NFL, and I would like to hear what you guys think

1. Fast Paced/ No Huddle Offenses - They were talking about how the Packers, Chargers and the Steelers plan to implement No Huddle Offenses in 2014 to copy the successful framework the Patriots and Broncos are using. The Patriots obviously were the first to use this system, have been ahead of the curve for almost a decade.
Pretty sure Manning and the Colts were.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Another thread ruined by a few lame inside jokes.

The large DB's trend got Stanley Jean Baptiste in 1st round talk pre-draft. As a Nebraska fan, I consider him about a 5th round talent.

I would argue the spread option game is becoming a trend in the NFL. It has taken over college football and now we are just seeing the beginning (and possibly end) to it in the NFL.

As a high school football coach I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Oregon vs Stanford last year and Oregon vs Arizona to see how they countered it so effectively.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post

As a high school football coach I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Oregon vs Stanford last year and Oregon vs Arizona to see how they countered it so effectively.
Marcus Mariota in a knee brace and DeAnthony Thomas with a bad ankle played a part, no?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Another thread ruined by a few lame inside jokes.

The large DB's trend got Stanley Jean Baptiste in 1st round talk pre-draft. As a Nebraska fan, I consider him about a 5th round talent.

I would argue the spread option game is becoming a trend in the NFL. It has taken over college football and now we are just seeing the beginning (and possibly end) to it in the NFL.

Interesting.

The spread option in my mind is extremely risky in the NFL. It's no secret that quarterbacks are the most important position in the NFL, and the as the old saying goes "there are no old running quarterbacks". Correct me if I am wrong, but after what happened to RGIII the last couple of years I think a pocket QB is the best option to be consistently successful IMO. In college, with the durability of youth and only being around for 4 years, the spread option is a very effective system with minimal risk.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Marcus Mariota in a knee brace and DeAnthony Thomas with a bad ankle played a part, no?
What were thier injuries during those specific games? They were weeks apart.

Touché though. But I'm willing to bet they did some thing differently that would take more than a live watch through to pick up on.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post

3. Smaller Quick Fast Receivers? - This is something they also touched on SiriusXM. A possible counter move to the league trending toward large Defensive Backs could be smaller quick fast receivers. The idea is that small Wes Welker type guys can run a quick fast route inside with a short quick pass to use the CBs size against them.

I thought it was a very interesting bit.

I don't think that Smaller quick receivers are becoming a trend so much as teams a just trying to make due with the resources available to them. You look at how receivers are drafter and you still see teams going after big strong guys with top end speed in the early rounds. Lets face it, if Calvin Johnson styled receivers were prevalent, every team in the NFL would line up at least two on Sunday.

I think it is more accurate to say that teams are becoming better at getting production out of receivers that don't have the prototypical physical qualifications. I also think you will find that these smaller receivers tend to have more success on teams that can trot out a very accurate QB. Wes Welker doesn't put up Wes Welker numbers with Cam Newton or Sam Bradford chucking him the ball.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
What were thier injuries during those specific games? They were weeks apart.

Touché though. But I'm willing to bet they did some thing differently that would take more than a live watch through to pick up on.
Mariota could hardly move vs Stanford. Went from his usual run/pass self to a 100% pocket passer (and couldn't avoid the pass rush very well). He was better but still not 100% vs Arizona. Thomas was never 100% all year after hurting his ankle - Stanford was his 1st or 2nd game back after missing a month and he clearly didn't have the explosiveness.

I'm sure you're right that both teams had special game plans for the Ducks and both had good rushing defenses overall to start with. Stanford has beaten them two years in a row so they know something. But at the same time, Mariota and Thomas were the two most dynamic, difference-making players for Oregon and their injuries did play a part.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote