The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #251
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,859

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
the guy is worth almost 2 billion. I really don't think he cares what anyone thinks of him. If he does he'll just wipe his tears with hundreds.
Who cares? He can be racist and not care all he wants, he just can't do it in the NBA anymore. Good.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #252
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I really don't care what he said. The dude is a piece of ****, without question. But what kind of America are we living in where freedom of speech is being infringed upon? There is no rule that says you need to like or even be nice to the players you employ. He said what he said in private. He didn't run onto the court and call Chris Paul the N word.

Banning him from the team he owns is complete bull****. The best revenge is that his team will not be able to land any more marquee players. Chris Paul and Griffin will either force trades or play out their deals and leave. He will lose a ****load of money from his actions. There is no need to take his franchise away.


Also, I am sorry to say, but there is a double standard at play here. Had it been Michael Jordan saying stuff like, "I hate my woman taking pictures with all these white cracker ass mother****ers!" There would be little to no issue. It is just fine to be a racist a-hole as long as you are black. But if you are white, you're ****ed.
haha if Michael Jordan said that, it would absolutely be an issue.

And I do feel conflicted about the ruling because its not illegal to be a racist a-hole. I'm sure most billionaires are a-holes in some way.

I do, however, understand why minorities still harbor some hate for white people...and honestly don't have an issue with it.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #253
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Lol at the NAACP canceling his lifetime achievement award.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #254
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Who ya Got?

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I'm no lawyer, but he's not being arrested and charged with a crime, so it really doesn't apply. At least that's the way that I understand it.
The NBA is a private organization and if anything hurts there brand they can hand out any punishment.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #255
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

Freedom of speech is something people should've learned as early as grade school. It's quite scary how many people have no idea what it does and doesn't mean.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #256
Action
Ring of Famer
 
Action's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Broncos
Posts: 2,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Sterling will lose in court - even if he wants to take the internal racism and personal thoughts aren't illegal - NBA can definitely prove he has financially hurt the NBA along with all the negative publicity he's brought to the NBA.

Sterling definitely deserves to lose him team. But you guys are missing the fact that other owners have to vote him out.

If he's getting voted out, what's he going to do? Go to court and battle the whole NBA + the owners who voted him out?

He'll have an accidental poinsoning before he wins in court.
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #257
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Had it been Michael Jordan saying stuff like, "I hate my woman taking pictures with all these white cracker ass mother****ers!" There would be little to no issue.
I'd like to hear some more about this theory.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #258
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I really don't care what he said. The dude is a piece of ****, without question. But what kind of America are we living in where freedom of speech is being infringed upon? There is no rule that says you need to like or even be nice to the players you employ. He said what he said in private. He didn't run onto the court and call Chris Paul the N word.

Banning him from the team he owns is complete bull****. The best revenge is that his team will not be able to land any more marquee players. Chris Paul and Griffin will either force trades or play out their deals and leave. He will lose a ****load of money from his actions. There is no need to take his franchise away.


Also, I am sorry to say, but there is a double standard at play here. Had it been Michael Jordan saying stuff like, "I hate my woman taking pictures with all these white cracker ass mother****ers!" There would be little to no issue. It is just fine to be a racist a-hole as long as you are black. But if you are white, you're ****ed.
I think trying to hide behind "freedom of speech" is much too accepted by many people. It's just common sense man. What reason is there to hate somebody based on the color of their skin. It's just ignorant is what it is and there should be no protection for that kind of belief, under any law or constitution. You can't choose what color of skin you have and it should make no difference anyway, it's just f'n skin. No different then hating somebody for having blue eyes, or red hair, or a being short. As long as people like this are around and influencing others to believe the same thing, the longer it takes us a a world society to get past all of this non-sense.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #259
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I really don't care what he said. The dude is a piece of ****, without question. But what kind of America are we living in where freedom of speech is being infringed upon? There is no rule that says you need to like or even be nice to the players you employ. He said what he said in private. He didn't run onto the court and call Chris Paul the N word.

Banning him from the team he owns is complete bull****. The best revenge is that his team will not be able to land any more marquee players. Chris Paul and Griffin will either force trades or play out their deals and leave. He will lose a ****load of money from his actions. There is no need to take his franchise away.


Also, I am sorry to say, but there is a double standard at play here. Had it been Michael Jordan saying stuff like, "I hate my woman taking pictures with all these white cracker ass mother****ers!" There would be little to no issue. It is just fine to be a racist a-hole as long as you are black. But if you are white, you're ****ed.
What you just said was complete bull****.
You cannot in any company in the US make the remarks Sterling made and stay employed.
The NBA is the holding company, the Clippers are a subsidiary.
Sterling was the CEO and now he will get his severance package and be on his way.
There is no double standard, anytime a player says something he is punished in the maximize way allowed by the CBA. The owners are held to a higher standard than the players, just like execs are held to a higher standard than normal employees.

Ownership in a private entity that enjoys the anti trust exemptions of the NBA is a privilege, not a right.
He has the right to his opinions and his beliefs, he can express them in any way he sees fit.
However the same freedom that he can enjoy in his speech also applies to the NBA as a company being able to protect their brand name, image and intellectual property.

He will be forced to sell the team, likely for a value between 800 million and 1.3 billion.
He has the right to say whatever he wishes, the NBA has the right to rescind his membership in the league.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #260
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Lol at the NAACP canceling his lifetime achievement award.
His 2nd one. He got another one in 2009.
Absolutely unbelievable.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #261
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

kids, this is why you just hire prostitutes and meet them at hotels.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #262
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

So should I hold my breath until they investigate another racist owner?

You know, wearing the 5 percent nation crap to his games is just a fashion statement though. Bunch of hypocrites.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #263
Action
Ring of Famer
 
Action's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Broncos
Posts: 2,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Considering there's a bid going on for the Clippers - with the city they are in - talent and coaches they have in place...I think he can get $1.5 billion+.

Guaranteed to be over the $1 billion mark. Cash.

Dodgers were sold for $2.15 billion.
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #264
Action
Ring of Famer
 
Action's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Broncos
Posts: 2,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
So should I hold my breath until they investigate another racist owner?

You know, wearing the 5 percent nation crap to his games is just a fashion statement though. Bunch of hypocrites.
While obviously he's not the only racist owner - the others have been able to stay off the public records.

As long as an owner can keep his **** private - there is not much the NBA can do.
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #265
Action
Ring of Famer
 
Action's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Broncos
Posts: 2,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'd like to hear some more about this theory.
Why?
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #266
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
What you just said was complete bull****.
You cannot in any company in the US make the remarks Sterling made and stay employed.
The NBA is the holding company, the Clippers are a subsidiary.
Sterling was the CEO and now he will get his severance package and be on his way.
There is no double standard, anytime a player says something he is punished in the maximize way allowed by the CBA. The owners are held to a higher standard than the players, just like execs are held to a higher standard than normal employees.

Ownership in a private entity that enjoys the anti trust exemptions of the NBA is a privilege, not a right.
He has the right to his opinions and his beliefs, he can express them in any way he sees fit.
However the same freedom that he can enjoy in his speech also applies to the NBA as a company being able to protect their brand name, image and intellectual property.

He will be forced to sell the team, likely for a value between 800 million and 1.3 billion.
He has the right to say whatever he wishes, the NBA has the right to rescind his membership in the league.

A nuclear option isn't going to work. NBA cannot tell him to sell the team. They can make it hard for him to keep it though. Owners can vote to strip his owning rights and the nba would then take over. A 3/4 vote will never happen and mark Cuban explained why. He's already stating he would be hesitant to vote him out.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #267
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
While obviously he's not the only racist owner - the others have been able to stay off the public records.

As long as an owner can keep his **** private - there is not much the NBA can do.
Jay z is a blatant racist. His medallion he wears glorifies 5 percent nation. But it's ok cause it's just a fashion statement.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #268
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Sterling will lose in court - even if he wants to take the internal racism and personal thoughts aren't illegal - NBA can definitely prove he has financially hurt the NBA along with all the negative publicity he's brought to the NBA.

Sterling definitely deserves to lose him team. But you guys are missing the fact that other owners have to vote him out.

If he's getting voted out, what's he going to do? Go to court and battle the whole NBA + the owners who voted him out?

He'll have an accidental poinsoning before he wins in court.
Silver has the votes, he said so already.
A reporter asked him what would happen if he did not have enough votes to force Sterling to sell. He said in no uncertain terms that there is no "if".
He already has them. This is a done deal.

Sterling admitted to Silver that the tape is both authentic and not tampered with.
All owners agree to binding arbitration in the matters of sanctions so even if he does sue it will be tossed out.

As I said to someone earlier. Donald Sterling is worth 1.9 billion on his own.
There are 29 other owners who are worth about 800 million on average, not including the ownership groups as a whole.
There is no ability to drag this out and win in any way.

The NBA will still be making money and turning a profit, plus the other owner's businesses.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #269
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
A nuclear option isn't going to work. NBA cannot tell him to sell the team. They can make it hard for him to keep it though. Owners can vote to strip his owning rights and the nba would then take over. A 3/4 vote will never happen and mark Cuban explained why. He's already stating he would be hesitant to vote him out.
You do not understand. The vote is already called for and Silver knows he has the votes.
The owners asked Silver to do it as well as his own personal stance on doing it.

Cuban has already tweeted he is on board with Silver and his decision.
This isn't a question. The wheels are already in motion and the the deed will be official soon.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #270
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

"Sterling" is Jewish himself...
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #271
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

My issue with this is that he's being tried in the public eye for something he said in a private conversation. He has a history of this behaviour, but the NBA, including the owners that all of a sudden are 100% on board with sacrificing one of their own, took no action until the public became "outraged". Where was the action by the league and its owners 10 years ago?

It appears there is a lot more support in this country for the NSA to snoop in your private life and when they find something, airing it out for trial by popular opinion of the public.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #272
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Jay z is a blatant racist. His medallion he wears glorifies 5 percent nation. But it's ok cause it's just a fashion statement.
WTH is the 5% nation?
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #273
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,081

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Reports coming out that he was aware all of these conversations were being recorded and was willing to allow it.

All of these conversations apparently happened in September 2013.

DERP. (and yes I'm aware it's TMZ)

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/28/donald...io-recordings/

Last edited by crush17; 04-29-2014 at 01:20 PM..
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #274
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
WTH is the 5% nation?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-Percent_Nation
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #275
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Jay z is a blatant racist. His medallion he wears glorifies 5 percent nation. But it's ok cause it's just a fashion statement.
Jay Z made his money by destroying other peoples lives with crack. I have zero respect for that loser.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Denver Broncos