The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #151
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Where does that pass rusher fit on the roster?
So if Wolfe can't play anymore who starts?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #152
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
He injured his knee in 2012, and looked horrible in 2013. Who knows if he'll ever be able to make the roster. Even he makes it, there are 7 other roster spots the Broncos need to fill.
I think we need a DT more than a DE.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #153
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Malik, but all indications are Wolfe is going to be back. I can certainly see the logic in drafting a DE, just like a FS, so we hedge our bets. But is the first round great value for a SDE, especially of Wolfe does return? And Malik has played very well..
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #154
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
This guy.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #155
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I don't think we will do it in the first round, but I can certainly see a pass rusher added somewhere in 2-4.

Hall Davis and John Youboty are 2 of our six ends on the roster.

Ware should be fine, Malik should keep progressing. Starters = fine.

Injury and health concerns over the other two, but I am hopeful. (Smith and Wolfe -- a lot of potential.)

Pick up a legitimate pass rusher and kick Hall Davis (who is that) and Johnny YouTube to the curb.
I think you should always add pass rushers, and the 5th year option is great. But my issue is we have lots of potential and developmental pieces behind entrenched starters.

I also think we would be reaching a round early on a DE in the first.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #156
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Malik, but all indications are Wolfe is going to be back. I can certainly see the logic in drafting a DE, just like a FS, so we hedge our bets. But is the first round great value for a SDE, especially of Wolfe does return? And Malik has played very well..
Malik will never be a elite pass rusher so I would have to say yes to the question. Even if Wolfe does return he still is capable of moving inside to create even more pass rush for us.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #157
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Nothing wrong with having alot of pass rushers.

As we saw in the SB, injuries/depth hurt us but then again how many teams can lose their top 2 pass rushers and still field a good defense with a good pass rush?

I'd rather go DT before DE unless someone unexpected fell to them.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #158
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Malik will never be a elite pass rusher so I would have to say yes to the question. Even if Wolfe does return he still is capable of moving inside to create even more pass rush for us.
Malik had six sacks last year, and didn't start until later in the year. And most of the time he played without Von.

Whereas Wolfe played 1000 snaps as a rookie with Von and had 6 sacks. And I'm not taking away from the Wolfe, but you are taking away from Malik.

You know in our scheme a SDE needs to play like a 34 DE. I see better value in taking one in the 2-4 range. In our scheme the SDE probably won't be a double digit sack guy, and if he is, teams better worry!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #159
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Sure but spending a 1 on a guy who wont get much playing time?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #160
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Malik had six sacks last year, and didn't start until later in the year. And most of the time he played without Von.

Whereas Wolfe played 1000 snaps as a rookie with Von and had 6 sacks. And I'm not taking away from the Wolfe, but you are taking away from Malik.

You know in our scheme a SDE needs to play like a 34 DE. I see better value in taking one in the 2-4 range. In our scheme the SDE probably won't be a double digit sack guy, and if he is, teams better worry!
Only 2 of his 6 sacks came in games where he started. 3.5 of those sacks came when Von was back.

I'm suggesting that Malik is better off the bench then starting and there isn't anything wrong with that. As for our scheme, I still think Tuitt would be a double digit sack guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Sure but spending a 1 on a guy who wont get much playing time?
Sly Williams says hi.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #161
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

Sly Williams says hi.
Sly didnt play alot until an injury happened to Vickerson, same would have to happen for a pass rusher
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #162
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Sly didnt play alot until an injury happened to Vickerson, same would have to happen for a pass rusher
Quote:
Nothing wrong with having alot of pass rushers.

As we saw in the SB, injuries/depth hurt us but then again how many teams can lose their top 2 pass rushers and still field a good defense with a good pass rush?

I'd rather go DT before DE unless someone unexpected fell to them.
Yet you would rather draft a DT that would have Sly, Vickerson, and Knighton in front of him instead of a DE that would probably have a higher chance of seeing the field. Both Jackson and Wolfe can rotate inside as well still giving enough snaps for a guy like Dominique Easley or Kony Ealy. I'm still higher on Tuitt then those two but you get the idea.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #163
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Why does it have to be low? I would be happy to land anyone that can get after the QB in the first round.
Pass-rusher is definitely an option in the 1st, but not a priority. If BPA is a guy like Lawrence, then you definitely have to consider it.

Quote:
I don't advocate trading our entire draft for Mosley either.

Funny when we drafted him, you were like "you rock BMORE" because I nailed the player we took. But he will be a stud, or I will eat my words!
I'm not against Q Smith AT ALL. He has the potential to be a huge steal for a late 5th. All I did was make a list of possible roster positions that need to be filled. The Broncos definitely need a 3rd speed-rusher to give Miller and Ware breather's or to play in event of injury. We have no clue what's going on with Q Smith. Since he's an unknown, I put a blurb on the list for 3DE. Didn't think it was going to create a huge backlash. It was just an afterthought, in a response to another poster who wanted to mortgage half the draft to move up, justification being that we have no open roster spots. I'm not against moving up, but not if it takes half our draft picks.

Quote:
Where does that pass rusher fit on the roster?
The massive obvious roster spot that a drafted pass-rusher would fill, would be to cut Unrein, and play Wolfe at DT, so he doesn't try to kill himself again.

Unrein would make $1.4M this year to do nothing, and can be cut for zero cap hit.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #164
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If we want to ease Wolfe back in that's certainly a viable option. I think Wolfe tried to be more of a traditional 4-3 SDE last year, which he's not. So I think him playing the 5tech role is perfect for him.

Besides we have a nice trio of Vickerson, Knighton, and Sly. Vickerson was missed last year. He's that nasty player up front.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #165
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Yet you would rather draft a DT that would have Sly, Vickerson, and Knighton in front of him instead of a DE that would probably have a higher chance of seeing the field. Both Jackson and Wolfe can rotate inside as well still giving enough snaps for a guy like Dominique Easley or Kony Ealy. I'm still higher on Tuitt then those two but you get the idea.
Vickerson/Knighton are FA's after the year, always think ahead.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #166
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

After thinking about it, i could get a pass-rusher pick even though it may not seem like a huge need.

Never know what can happen.

There will be alot available when we pick.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #167
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
disagree. teams rotate DL all the time. the league is subpackagecentric now and if a pass rusher is there at the end of 1 and Denver takes him, I am sure he'd be part of a rotation. Look at how NYG beat the undefeated Pats. It was a rotation of relentless pass rushers--many of which were high-round picks.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #168
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

You can never have enough pass rushers
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #169
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

We could take a DL with the first pick in 3-4 consecutive years and no one should ever complain unless we passed up a stud CB to do so.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #170
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would complain if we took a SDE, and he doesn't play much, because Wolfe returns, and Malik has earned rotational snaps behind him.

Not to mention Von plays LDE in subpackages. Why draft essentially a first and second down run defender? That's just like drafting another two down thumper.

I'm all for hedging bets, and taking a LDE, just not in the first round. Tuitt, Easley, Reid, these guys are there in the second. I like Lynch in the later rounds and more.

Remember in our scheme, the LDE, plays like a 34 DE. Maybe Ealy in the first, is the only SDE I could get on board with.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #171
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Both DT and edge rusher are in play in the first
Vickerson is probably gone after this year
A first round DT would give us insurance in case we can't re-sign Knighton

As far as edger rushers, we only have two "knowns" on the team with both coming off injury seasons and one only being a two year stopgap

A first round edge rusher would not only give us insurance for Miller, Ware, and Q Smith's health, but would give us someone plug in at RE when Ware leaves
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #172
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
I would complain if we took a SDE, and he doesn't play much, because Wolfe returns, and Malik has earned rotational snaps behind him.

Not to mention Von plays LDE in subpackages. Why draft essentially a first and second down run defender? That's just like drafting another two down thumper.

I'm all for hedging bets, and taking a LDE, just not in the first round. Tuitt, Easley, Reid, these guys are there in the second. I like Lynch in the later rounds and more.

Remember in our scheme, the LDE, plays like a 34 DE. Maybe Ealy in the first, is the only SDE I could get on board with.
If we take a DE in the first, he won't be for run downs.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #173
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
You can never have enough pass rushers
Agreed. Send out a front 7 that will harass the hell out of opposing QB. I would prefer a MLB but would be just fine getting another guy who is a pass rusher.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #174
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
We could take a DL with the first pick in 3-4 consecutive years and no one should ever complain unless we passed up a stud CB to do so.
I am in agreement. They aren't pretty picks, but teams that routinely spend picks for trench players are usually the stronger more elite teams
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #175
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
If we take a DE in the first, he won't be for run downs.
Yeah, are you sure chief? Because if we take a first round DE, he better be playing outside in base, because Ware and Miller will be on the field 95% of the time on passing downs.

So that means that rookie better be able to kick inside, otherwise, where is he playing on passing downs?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: