The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default This Defense is NASTY

With all the hoopla over lManning, hardly anybody seems to notice outside of Denver how good this defense is. #1 in the NFL against the rush, it's big in the line, has speed to burn and depth all over the field with play makers everywhere. I'm impressed with this linebacking corp especially. Does anyone even remember that Stuart Bradley is supposed to be the starting MLB? No way Woodyard goes back to the outside. These guys are fast, aggressive hitters who range sideline to sideline supported by a secondary that can cover as well as hit. This is by far the best Denver D I've seen in years, and we are still without Champ and Miller. The Raiders had no ground game other than Pryor on a couple runs, none.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

They need to play a complete game. I hated to see Pryor have room to throw like he did at times last night. Obviously pass rush plays a part in that and will get better once we get ****head back.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

They are fast for sure. I just hope they dont slow down by December. They will need that speed when the big boys play late in the year and in January
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Yes, agreeed. Some of the most consistent defensive play in Denver since Del Rio arrived. If we had a fewer mistakes in the running game ... the stat figures would look even better.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Broncos D don't care, Broncos D don't give a ****.

Ewwwhhh, it's so NASTY!!
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

We fans have been begging for a pair of DTs for years, and now we finally have them. Big Vick and Pork Chop are dominating the LOS, eating up blockers, and allowing our speedy LBs to run free and make plays. Can't wait to see what we can do when we get Von and Champ back.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Trevathan, Ihenacho, Malik Jackson, DRC and Terence Knighton have really upgraded this defense.

Irving has started to play well in run support but his coverage is not there yet. Ayers is also generating pressure from his side and was being held constantly in the game.

But with Champ and Von back this is an elite defense.

About the only guy that's really been disapointing is Derek Wolfe. Third straight game without any real pressure on the QB.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?

I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.
Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.
I'm gonna guess last night speaking they wanted to contain Pryor in the pocket and make him beat us with the arm.
What frustrated me is the snap over Pryors head. Denver didn't crash on it.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet. I will say they are finally playing a downhill style where the DC puts them in position to make plays and the gameplans have been spot on to stop the scheme's they have faced.

What I do not see yet is them winning the one on one battles everywhere that truly makes a defense nasty and impossible to game plan against or exploit matchups. I do think getting Champ and Von back would elevate the pass rush and coverage enough to take them to the nasty level. You can see how the defense is evolving right now, and those 2 will fit right into the development and make it much better and hopefully more of a turnover machine as well.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

By my reckoning, this D has given up 31 garbage time points. If this team wants to be recognized as great, that has to stop. Currently ranked 17th in points, 19th in yards. We all know they are better than that, it would be great for the stats to show it.

By garbage time, I mean scores allowed when Broncos have > 95% chance of winning, per pro-football-reference.com. that's 10 to Bal, 7 to NYG, and 14 to oak.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I also was expecting Wolfe to be more of a factor rushing the passer. Maybe he isn't over his injury yet, and will come on strong as the season progresses. Jackson and Ayers have picked up some of the slack in that regard though. Von will make all of these guys better pass rushers when he gets back though.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Take away that first fluke TD where we had two defenders collide and some garbage yards they got when we were down to our #4 and #5 corners out there, and this is a 30 point game. That unit was a 3 and out machine last night and completely eliminated any running game out of a team that usually runs it down our throat.

Loving it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Still need to see the pass rush improve.

Williams still hasn't showed anything, but he did get in some first half playing time for the first time this year and at least didn't just stand up and get mauled.

Sick of garbage time points as well, but that's more of a nitpick really. I'd have to go back and look at the plays, but it appeared that on at least the one long TD throw, that Nacho had to go through a Bronco player to make the tackle and ended up taking himself out of the play, allowing the long run.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Still need to see the pass rush improve.
Sure, but I think that was to be expected. Losing Dumervil and Miller (and Champ) at the same time would be tough for any team to overcome right away. Combine that with the fact that last night was clearly all about stopping their running game and containing Pryor, and I'm not too worried. Next week will probably be very similar......and we'll be one week closer to getting Miller back.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Their long TD pass was a pure fluke as somehow DRC overran the throw and got to the inside hip of the WR as Ihenacho went to hit Moore on the inside where he was covering that play. I have no idea why nacho had the cover one high safety role there, but for some reason Rahim was playing robber underneath and not covering anybody again. The only thing I can think of is he was Spying Pryor on that play because he ran to the LOS as Pryor threw the ball over him

One thing is for sure, the safeties have gotten away with a few coverage mistakes at this point and they need to clean it up going forward.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Phillips just hans't been getting it done and I'm not sold on Ayers as a pass rusher, although I thought he did a bit better this week in that regard.

Hopefull Miller can get his **** together and have the impact we all want him to have.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet.
Agree. When you're 30th in pass defense you have room to improve. I suppose part of that is "garbage time", and part of it is missing Von. But we seem to make some coverage mistakes and give up some big plays every game. Need to clean that up.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet. I will say they are finally playing a downhill style where the DC puts them in position to make plays and the gameplans have been spot on to stop the scheme's they have faced.

What I do not see yet is them winning the one on one battles everywhere
that truly makes a defense nasty and impossible to game plan against or exploit matchups. I do think getting Champ and Von back would elevate the pass rush and coverage enough to take them to the nasty level. You can see how the defense is evolving right now, and those 2 will fit right into the development and make it much better and hopefully more of a turnover machine as well.
Where do you not see them winning one on ones? I see them winning one on ones at every position on a regular basis.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Almost impossible to run the ball against the broncos but the pass rush needs major improvements.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

They had three sacks on a very mobile QB...perhaps the best in the league right now with his feet (based on three games). They had a red zone stop. They had several big, clean, hits (one knocking Pryor out of the game). They're looking for the strip or the INT.

The other teams are pro's too. This is a very good defense and fun to watch. I, for one, remember the very recent times when I held my breath we Denver was on defense and was happy when they didn't give up a TD.

They (Woodyard and the team) agree that they have improvement to be what they are capable of, but many of you are spoiled, whiny b****es.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #24
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Imagine if Sylvester could be a Geno for us.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree. When you're 30th in pass defense you have room to improve. I suppose part of that is "garbage time", and part of it is missing Von. But we seem to make some coverage mistakes and give up some big plays every game. Need to clean that up.
part is missing von and big part is being #1 vs run and scoring, teams HAVE to throw therefore passing def #'s will be skewed
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote