The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Someone get me excited for the draft. Im just not feeling it this year.

Man usually this time of the year I am pumped for the draft I know all the top prospects and I watch all the draft shows, but man I will be honest I have taken a break from watching NFL network, ESPN and even reading the websites after the Superbowl meltdown that just sapped my soul. Outside of the FA rush we had I haven't been tuned in much.

Most would probably think this is dumb but I hope they trade up to 9 to draft Justin Gilbert to me hes the best corner prospect since Patrick Peterson I honestly think its worth it to give up next years #1 and this years #1 and 4th rounder for him.

I know our top needs are CB, OL, RB, MLB but I don't know much about the draft prospects this year and I tried to watch a few tapes of the top prospects in our reach and I wasn't too impressed maybe I wasn't looking at the right stuff I don't know. I like this Shazier but will we play him at MLB if so sign me up personally I think MLB is overrated and just plugging an atheltic linebacker into the lineup is all we need and on early run downs get an average but solid MLB in there like we been doing. I don't think we draft a RB high but we do need to get a change of pace back to compete with Hillman we can't just hand him the 2nd back change of pace role he will have to earn it. CJ will compete too, but we need to find some someone with flash. I think Montee will be 70/30 time share though not a 50/50 one.

Anyway enough about my thoughts someone help me out help me get excited about this draft I need to find a prospect to get behind and hope the Broncos draft them.

Last edited by KevinJames; 04-19-2014 at 02:18 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm always more excited about the previous yrs picks and how they progress. Quanterus, Ball, Webster, Sylvester Williams need to step up.

Elway should look at the guards early in this draft as there are a couple who can start for the Broncos this yr.

Also lots of good WR wouldn't hurt to take someone with talent who maybe needs a yr before they can start. Same with CB. I'm not sure too many CBs they can get at the bottom of the round help us win the superbowl this yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The Broncos should be able to get a lot of interesting players out of this draft. Maybe all the way into the 7th round. It probably won't be the Broncos greatest draft ever, but it could generate a lot of future starters if Elway does it right.

1. 2006 - 4 starters
Brandon Marshall (5x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro)
Elvis Dumervil (3x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro)
Jay Cutler (1x Pro Bowl)
Chris Kuper

2. 2011 - 5 starters
Von Miller (2x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro)
Julius Thomas (1x Pro Bowl)
Chris Harris
Orlando Franklin
Rahim Moore

3. ?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I always wait until a week before, then I cram info, then I become an expert in my own mind, then I engage in the orangemane groupthink, then I cuss out the team for not taking my guy, or trading up/down.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I always wait until a week before, then I cram info, then I become an expert in my own mind, then I engage in the orangemane groupthink, then I cuss out the team for not taking my guy, or trading up/down.
Sounds like a plan.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

will not watch and will not care on draft day... frankly the first time I will care is when OM members go to camp and give their impressions.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This draft is loaded with talent rounds 1-7.. seriously! This is a very deep draft, where we can get good quality players! I wish the draft was here already, I'm the opposite, I'm excited!

I just hope Elway and Co. nail this draft and get players who can contribute to our Super Bowl Quest!

LOUD NOISES!
BMORE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Draft it's boring too me. It's such a crapshoot that I can't be bothered with expending any effort on it as a fan.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

It's all about the wide receivers this year -- study that group, and you'll develop a man-crush on at least five of them in the later rounds, I promise. The smart teams will double or even triple up on this position this year in the draft -- Elway seems to be positioning for this, as our roster is soft at 3rd-4th-5th receiver and returner:

1) Demaryius Thomas (in a contract year, but will probably be signed long-term)
2) Emmanuel Sanders (signed a 3-year contract)
3) Wes Welker (1 year left on contract, and his best days are definitely behind him now)
4) Andre Caldwell (meh.)
5) Nobody. (a.k.a. Greg Wilson, Nathan Palmer, Jordan Norwood)

Here's my short list of draft candidates in the 3rd round or later -- hopefully, we'll take one or two of these guys:

1) Paul Richardson, Colorado (Colorado homer pick, even though I'm not from Colorado)
2) Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley State (everyone's favorite sleeper. Prepare your Janis!)
3) Donte Moncrief, Mississippi (if he's there in the 3rd, you're laughing)
4) Bruce Ellington, South Carolina (Andre's cousin, and starting point guard for the Gamecocks' basketball team)
5) John Brown, Pittsburg State (everyone's favorite DEEP sleeper)
6) Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest (yet another "next Wes Welker")
+ a few more that I can't mention, because the Orange Mane Mock Draft UDFA round is still ongoing.....

Study the receivers, and you'll get hooked. Elway's definitely taking at least one -- who do you like?
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I am obviously huge on Moncrief, but I also like Street, as a later round prospect. There are several others who can contribute too in the middle rounds!

I think DBs are fairly deep too, that's why we don't need to take a first round CB. We can get one in 2-4.

Same with adding an offensive linemen whether that is a Tackle/Guard/Center in 2-5.

I think we can truly go BPA in the first.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

There is a lot of good talent in this draft. Hopefully, our FO can winnow out the good players from the bad and upgrade this team. There are some solid Oline players, like Gabe Jackson, who could really make a difference on the Broncos. After that SB humiliation, I'm hoping the Oline is focus number one.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Our team was in the Super Bowl last year and we added a bunch of free agents. Couple that with the fact that this organization tends to go slow with rookies and it makes it less exciting. We do start at least one rookie ever year, but other teams look at the draft as a chance to really push their team to another level. We're toward the top as it is and a lot of our starters are locked in. Also we're picking next to last, so that's never great.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I am obviously huge on Moncrief, but I also like Street, as a later round prospect. There are several others who can contribute too in the middle rounds!
Broncos met with Street at the Combine.

Broncos WR pre-draft meetings:
1. Donte Moncrief (6'2", 1st round)
2. Devin Street (6'3", 4th round)
3. Jeff Janis (6'3", 5th round)
4. John Brown (5'10", 6th round)
5. Matt Hazel (6'1", 7th round)
6. Isaiah Burse (5'10", UDFA)

Last edited by pricejj; 04-19-2014 at 09:33 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Not excited? Not excited? GET EXCITED!!!!
We have a team with very few holes and those holes happen to be some of the more loaded positions in the draft and this draft happens to be one of the deeper in years.

Not a ton of surefire superstar potential but this should be one of the better ones in recent memory.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Not excited? Not excited? GET EXCITED!!!!
We have a team with very few holes and those holes happen to be some of the more loaded positions in the draft and this draft happens to be one of the deeper in years.

Not a ton of surefire superstar potential but this should be one of the better ones in recent memory.

BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm usually excited about the draft too, but I am with you this year. Not really into it. I think it is a combination of still being pissed about the Super Bowl along with the fact that we aren't picking until 31.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I'm usually excited about the draft too, but I am with you this year. Not really into it. I think it is a combination of still being pissed about the Super Bowl along with the fact that we aren't picking until 31.
This. I listening to this and that and the other but my excitement is none. I really think it's because this years team is so good already. I would like to pick up a middle LB and a RB or two. I was also thinking a Center that does not hike the ball out of the end zone on our first trip back to the Super Bowl since 98.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 04-19-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm always more excited about the previous yrs picks and how they progress. Quanterus, Ball, Webster, Sylvester Williams need to step up.

Elway should look at the guards early in this draft as there are a couple who can start for the Broncos this yr.
Why do some guys keep insisting we need to find a starting guard this year?

I managed to get it on pretty good authority, confirmation that the rumors are true, Franklin's moving over.

I took a screen shot, let me find it..........
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

I managed to get it on pretty good authority, confirmation that the rumors are true, Franklin's moving over.

Because most people do not want to see our very good RT moved to OG when we could draft a plug and play guy and strengthen the line overall instead of musical chairs that may backfire.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

yep, I agree, I'm not nearly as excited about the draft this year as I was the last 10 years or so. In fact, I'd say that since I've been following the draft, this is, perhaps, the most dissinterested I've been.

Why? Because the Broncos have talent. Sure, there's some holes to fill but this roster has talent. And, they crapped the bed so bad in the SB it just makes me think that one or two more talented players won't make that big of a difference. Are they going to blow it again in the playoffs? I hope I'm wrong and just still bitter about that lousy SB.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
yep, I agree, I'm not nearly as excited about the draft this year as I was the last 10 years or so. In fact, I'd say that since I've been following the draft, this is, perhaps, the most dissinterested I've been.

Why? Because the Broncos have talent. Sure, there's some holes to fill but this roster has talent. And, they crapped the bed so bad in the SB it just makes me think that one or two more talented players won't make that big of a difference. Are they going to blow it again in the playoffs? I hope I'm wrong and just still bitter about that lousy SB.
I think a lot of us lose sight of the fact we had 7 or 8 (?) starters on IR and Seattle had zero players on IR.

When you remove 7 or 8 starters from a team and play a very good team with all their starters playing it's predictable which team might win.

Last edited by baja; 04-19-2014 at 03:24 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #22
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

You wait all day for the 1st round draft to get towards the Broncos pick, only to find out they traded it away. Come back next day.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Still waiting..
Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think a lot of us lose sight of the fact we had 7 or 8 (?) starters on IR and Seattle had zero players on IR.

When you remove 7 or 8 starters from a team and play a very good team with all their starters playing it's predictable which team might win.
I understand but they still should not have gotten beaten that bad. The Broncos weren't even competitive.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Why do I have to be responsible for your excitement?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote