The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #151
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,444
Default

Guess we're not going after Su'a-Filo then...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #152
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Denver is in perfect spot for BPA. LB, S, or CB. If not take another pass rusher or big fat slob G or RT.
Pretty much what Elway has said since the combine.

Not sure about S but if they LOVE Jimmie Ward, then i would just have to agree with it.

It depends who is there when they pick though.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #153
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
LG is not nearly as important as a RT.

RG is arguably close to RT (most teams roll protections to the left more often than not which leaves RG at a 1-on-1 position with a DT, LG on the other hand, does not).
Yes and No.

Interior pressure is the worst on a QB.

Saints have a lot of invested in two G's (Evans and Grubbs)

A clean, middle of the pocket is the best thing for a QB.

A QB like Manning cant move from inside pressure in his face, he can a little bit from outside pressure.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #154
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Clady, Franklin, Vasquez....check!

Montgomery/Ramirez - this is still a weak spot!

Clark at RT - Listed at 305...but plays around 290 - this is still a concern to me!

They do have Painter, Miller, and Justice....so, there is nice depth....but, can Clark keep his weight up and fight off the bull rush from the right side consistently?
Ramirez had a fine year, he's not perfect but its unlikely a rookie is going to do any better.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #155
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
What series? Franklin didnt start that game I thought. Franklin got hurt against the jags.

What was the result of having Franklin miss that colts game? A **** show on manning. Was painter activated before or after that game.

It's hard to gauge how painter will be since there's nothing really to go off of. But I still don't want him seeing the field cause that means someone went down.
Clark-Beadles-Ramirez-Kuper-Vaz was the lineup that game.

Clark got whipped by Mathis, Vaz held up well at RT actually.

The interior of our OL was awful that game.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #156
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Clady, Franklin, Vasquez....check!

Montgomery/Ramirez - this is still a weak spot!

Clark at RT - Listed at 305...but plays around 290 - this is still a concern to me!

They do have Painter, Miller, and Justice....so, there is nice depth....but, can Clark keep his weight up and fight off the bull rush from the right side consistently?
I agree. I think that Clark is a more natural tackle who can handle the speed guys that come off the edge in today's NFL. I was always hesitant to move Franklin inside because of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But it clearly broke in the Super Bowl, and it's time to try the next.

I think Franklin will be great inside, and with Clark and Clady on the edges, we'll have an upgraded OL. We need a Center though. I cant stand to see Manny as a starter on a real contender.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #157
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I agree. I think that Clark is a more natural tackle who can handle the speed guys that come off the edge in today's NFL. I was always hesitant to move Franklin inside because of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But it clearly broke in the Super Bowl, and it's time to try the next.

I think Franklin will be great inside, and with Clark and Clady on the edges, we'll have an upgraded OL. We need a Center though. I cant stand to see Manny as a starter on a real contender.
There are two great Centers in the draft, but I'm not sure either upgrade Manny year one..
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #158
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
There are two great Centers in the draft, but I'm not sure either upgrade Manny year one..
Richburg and Martin?
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #159
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
"Come with me if you want to live."

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SkyNet
Posts: 7,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
That could be because most players playing guard aren't even oficially designated as a LG or RG on most rosters. Tackles either for that matter, although it's pretty obvious what side they all play on.

And if you look at the top salaries in the league, there are a ton of guards in the top 50 with many being specifically RG on their respective depth charts. You are right, I am no GM at all nor do I claim to be. But how can you say in one breath that "you could argue RT is just as important as LT" then list RT last on the list of importance being both G and C?

I guess I just don't understand the argument here.
I'm saying that "You" can argue that LT is just as important as RT. However, IMHO that LT is the most important followed by G's and C's while RT is the least important to a right handed QB.

Ultimately I just want the best 5 o-lineman out there. By having Clady, Franklin, ManRam/Montgomery, Vasquez, Clark out there we have the best out there. Are some of them playing "out of position"? Maybe, but Franklin did play most of his college career at guard. But we'll have to play the game to know whether if he's a better G or better RT.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #160
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Richburg and Martin?
As a rookie in Manning's offense?

As complex as this offense is, no.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #161
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
There are two great Centers in the draft, but I'm not sure either upgrade Manny year one..
It depends on the perception of what upgrade means.
Does that mean physical play? Is it mental? Scheme fit?
The initial change would be a major issue in terms of getting a rapport with Manning. The C position requires a lot of responsibility in a Manning offense.

With that said, Manny is not the most physically dominating guy in the world.
Martin for instance would likely be a upgrade in terms of improving the physicality of the OL.

At this point though, I would assume that the Broncos will focus on C in next years draft.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #162
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
As a rookie in Manning's offense?

As complex as this offense is, no.
I think that is overblown. A rookie can come in and do a fine job on the OL.
He will have growing pains but a true rookie making mistakes is different from a vet making rookie mistakes.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #163
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

These were the top C's from last year, not saying Manny is perfect but he's not a massive weak link by any means.

LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #164
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,556

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

I' m not sold on Clark at RT. Filled in admirably for Clark and is strickly a LT IMO. Too light for the RT position. We need a road grader with good feet. Maybe someone like Cameron Fleming or Tiny Richardson. I'll trust the team knows much better than me how best to address the hole at RT. It'll be interesting to see if they get someone in the draft.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #165
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Richburg and Martin?
You got it!
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #166
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler
 
NorCalBronco7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

If everyone stays healthy, I think this olines top 3 in the NFL.
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #167
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler
 
NorCalBronco7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I have to think the people who dont really like ManRam are just bitter over his superbowl play. He had a very good season where he blew away everyones expectations. I have high hopes for ManRam next season. Id be very shocked if Montgomery took his job.

The depth might need some work beyond a late draft pick.......Im still a little unsure about that. But the unit as a whole will be excellent come TC imo.
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #168
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 12,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
I have to think the people who dont really like ManRam are just bitter over his superbowl play. He had a very good season where he blew away everyones expectations. I have high hopes for ManRam next season. Id be very shocked if Montgomery took his job.

The depth might need some work beyond a late draft pick.......Im still a little unsure about that. But the unit as a whole will be excellent come TC imo.
If Ramirez was bad over the course of the season that's news to me. I thought he played very well. Depth will play a role like it does every year. What if cladys foot is never the same? Or prevents him from playing. Someone goes down with a knee or ankle almost all the time. then its musical chairs. We'll see how they approach it in the draft. OL should always be a draft choice every year.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #169
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
As a rookie in Manning's offense?

As complex as this offense is, no.
Try to follow along, I was asking Bmore which prospects he was referring to; nothing more.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #170
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,185

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Try to follow along, I was asking Bmore which prospects he was referring to; nothing more.
I was.

Richburg and Martin are good prospects but Manny is fine for the time being.

I'd take a C in 2015 to groom behind Manny.

Would go LG or RT as our OL pick this year.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #171
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
I have to think the people who dont really like ManRam are just bitter over his superbowl play. He had a very good season where he blew away everyones expectations. I have high hopes for ManRam next season. Id be very shocked if Montgomery took his job.

The depth might need some work beyond a late draft pick.......Im still a little unsure about that. But the unit as a whole will be excellent come TC imo.
He blew away everyone's expectations because following an abysmal pre-season the expectations were next to nothing. He played ok, which is to say pedestrian, but I absolutely think he's the weakest link in the interior OL.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #172
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Manny is fine for the time being.
I just disagree.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #173
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler
 
NorCalBronco7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
If Ramirez was bad over the course of the season that's news to me. I thought he played very well. Depth will play a role like it does every year. What if cladys foot is never the same? Or prevents him from playing. Someone goes down with a knee or ankle almost all the time. then its musical chairs. We'll see how they approach it in the draft. OL should always be a draft choice every year.
Yeah Im starting to come around to drafting a lineman as early as the 3rd, maybe. Still, I think that might be a little overboard.

Justice is the key in all the depth talk imo. This guy was once a decent player, if only for a brief period in Philly. Does he still have it in him? How much do the Broncos really like him? Even if the Broncos feel good about him, he probably needs some competition besides Painter (who we can only view as a project right now).
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #174
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,963

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I' m not sold on Clark at RT. Filled in admirably for Clark and is strickly a LT IMO. Too light for the RT position. We need a road grader with good feet. Maybe someone like Cameron Fleming or Tiny Richardson. I'll trust the team knows much better than me how best to address the hole at RT. It'll be interesting to see if they get someone in the draft.
There are so many contradictions in this post.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #175
NorCalBronco7
Pro Bowler
 
NorCalBronco7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
He blew away everyone's expectations because following an abysmal pre-season the expectations were next to nothing. He played ok, which is to say pedestrian, but I absolutely think he's the weakest link in the interior OL.
I think ManRam played a little better than Beadles did last year, which is to say he had a very good season.

But if your considering Franklin being kicked inside, then saying hes the worst interior lineman is like saying Welker was the weak link for the starting Wrs. Hes a victim of circumstances. Franklin and Vasquez, imo, is going to be one of the best guards tandems in the NFL. I think they'll end up being ranked 2 behind Grubbs/Evans.

ManRam played good pass protection, was a beast in the running game (remember Knowshown racking up over 200 with a lot of running plays up the gut vs NE?). This was all in his first year starting. The arrow is pointing on this guy. Im thrilled we have him.
NorCalBronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Denver Broncos