The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #126
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,364

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

8 lineman ain't enough. They are going to draft another OL -- question is when. I say 3-5 unless they get great value early.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #127
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
AND Bob

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,060

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We should draft a lineman. I believe you should always take an offensive and defensive lineman every draft. And if Clady can't come back, or there are other injuries on the line, you want to have some depth.

That said, if they are as high on Painter as they are rumored to be, we can probably afford to take a guy after round four and groom him. We're pretty deep at Center. Painter can play inside and out in a pinch, so it's a low priority.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #128
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,364

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We should draft a lineman. I believe you should always take an offensive and defensive lineman every draft. And if Clady can't come back, or there are other injuries on the line, you want to have some depth.

That said, if they are as high on Painter as they are rumored to be, we can probably afford to take a guy after round four and groom him. We're pretty deep at Center. Painter can play inside and out in a pinch, so it's a low priority.
Tell us about your favorite OL from BYU.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #129
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
AND Bob

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,060

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Tell us about your favorite OL from BYU.
Does John Denney count?

I'd love to see us find a way to get Kyle Van Noy on this team.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #130
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We should draft a lineman. I believe you should always take an offensive and defensive lineman every draft. And if Clady can't come back, or there are other injuries on the line, you want to have some depth.

That said, if they are as high on Painter as they are rumored to be, we can probably afford to take a guy after round four and groom him. We're pretty deep at Center. Painter can play inside and out in a pinch, so it's a low priority.
^This. Definitely at OL. You don't want to be forced to draft high at OL because of lost talent due to cap, injury or FA.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #131
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,084
Default

With Rameriz, Vasquez, Montgomery and now Franklin all inside you wonder if they need a guard very much in the draft.

Now you have to wonder if they would draft a OT isntead.

Broncos most likely go linebacker or corner now first round. I wonder if Elway will surprise everyone and move up for an exact player he wants. Up till now he seemed willing to take whichever player fell to him out of a group of players he liked.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #132
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
With Rameriz, Vasquez, Montgomery and now Franklin all inside you wonder if they need a guard very much in the draft.

Now you have to wonder if they would draft a OT isntead.

Broncos most likely go linebacker or corner now first round. I wonder if Elway will surprise everyone and move up for an exact player he wants. Up till now he seemed willing to take whichever player fell to him out of a group of players he liked.
Denver is in perfect spot for BPA. LB, S, or CB. If not take another pass rusher or big fat slob G or RT.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #133
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Franklin was originally a left guard at Miami, playing 36 games at the position and making 25 starts over his first three seasons.

He started one game at left tackle as a junior, and stayed there for the entirety of his senior season.

Listed at 6-7 and 320 pounds
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...lg-clark-at-rt
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #134
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Clady, Franklin, Vasquez....check!

Montgomery/Ramirez - this is still a weak spot!

Clark at RT - Listed at 305...but plays around 290 - this is still a concern to me!

They do have Painter, Miller, and Justice....so, there is nice depth....but, can Clark keep his weight up and fight off the bull rush from the right side consistently?
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #135
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,830

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

No doubt that's a concern, I mentioned that in here. Clark may be slightly better at mirroring and handling speed rushers than Franklin, but he's a huge downgrade in the run game, and I think he will struggle verse LDE's who are bigger than RDEs and rely on the more power to their game than finesse.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #136
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,830

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I don't see the need to draft a RT, we drafted Painter in my opinion as our long term answer to play RT, and we promoted him from the PS to keep from getting snatched up. And Justice is a competent back-up.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #137
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

I don't get it guys. You do realize that the Broncos are putting the better player at a more important position, right? For a right handed QB the RT positions isn't blind side. Plus, For the pocket passer that Manning is its more important that he be able to step up into the pocket where Franklin will be pass protecting now.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #138
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I don't get it guys. You do realize that the Broncos are putting the better player at a more important position, right? For a right handed QB the RT positions isn't blind side. Plus, For the pocket passer that Manning is its more important that he be able to step up into the pocket where Franklin will be pass protecting now.
LG is not nearly as important as a RT.

RG is arguably close to RT (most teams roll protections to the left more often than not which leaves RG at a 1-on-1 position with a DT, LG on the other hand, does not).
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #139
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
LG is not nearly as important as a RT.

RG is arguably close to RT (most teams roll protections to the left more often than not which leaves RG at a 1-on-1 position with a DT, LG on the other hand, does not).
You had me right up to here. Yeah, because you see teams draft RG only players all the time.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #140
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,927

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
You had me right up to here. Yeah, because you see teams draft RG only players all the time.
And that invalidates his point how?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #141
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Interesting do LG or RG get more money on the open market? Is the money about equal for both? Off the top of my head it has seemed like LG got the big deals like Hutchinson, Foneco, etc.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #142
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
And that invalidates his point how?
He was making a solid point about RT being important. You could argue the point that RT is just as important as LT. But he also says that RG is important because protection slides left leaving RG 1-1. If RG is so important then teams are going to spend resources on RG even if the player is rated as a RG prospect only. If you are going to make a point about your knowledge of the game you can't have hole in your comments like that.

Look, none of us gets paid millions of dollars to be GM's (unless one of us is actually John Elway here). So we don't know what GM's see. Butwe can look back at what GM's have done in the past. Do you see GM's take players that only play RG? No. Why? It because its not that important. On the list of its probably: LT, G, C, and RT. In that order probably.

OL is a place were players are regularly asked to fill multiple rolls. In fact the more rolls a player can play the better it is for that play and the team.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #143
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,927

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

That could be because most players playing guard aren't even oficially designated as a LG or RG on most rosters. Tackles either for that matter, although it's pretty obvious what side they all play on.

And if you look at the top salaries in the league, there are a ton of guards in the top 50 with many being specifically RG on their respective depth charts. You are right, I am no GM at all nor do I claim to be. But how can you say in one breath that "you could argue RT is just as important as LT" then list RT last on the list of importance being both G and C?

I guess I just don't understand the argument here.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #144
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I don't see the need to draft a RT, we drafted Painter in my opinion as our long term answer to play RT, and we promoted him from the PS to keep from getting snatched up. And Justice is a competent back-up.
I would not consider a 6th round guard-sized inactive project the long-term answer at RT.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #145
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,830

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I would not consider a 6th round guard-sized inactive project the long-term answer at RT.
He was raw, but he played Tackle in college. He has good athleticism for his size. What does his round drafted gave to do with anything? In fact, we hit some homeruns with late round picks, Trevethan was a 6th round pick the year before.

We also thought enough of him to activate him to our Roster so the 49ers didn't steal him from our PS.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #146
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,986

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Who is the best RT coming out in this draft?
That's a good question. I really don't know. Cyrus Kouandijo from Alabama, Antonio Richardson, or Morgan Moses from Virginia I guess?!?!? I think one would fall to the broncos in the second round.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #147
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,364

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

The kid from Michigan is getting rave reviews at OT, not Lewan -- the other guy. Schofield or something.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #148
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 8,332

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
He was raw, but he played Tackle in college. He has good athleticism for his size. What does his round drafted gave to do with anything? In fact, we hit some homeruns with late round picks, Trevethan was a 6th round pick the year before.

We also thought enough of him to activate him to our Roster so the 49ers didn't steal him from our PS.
Or because we were already using our depth to cover clady. What was the lineup for that Colts game? I can't remember who came in for Franklin
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #149
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,830

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Or because we were already using our depth to cover clady. What was the lineup for that Colts game? I can't remember who came in for Franklin
Justice for that series. Than Kuper played RG and Vasquez RT.

And no we did that because the 9ers were interested in him.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #150
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 8,332

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Justice for that series. Than Kuper played RG and Vasquez RT.

And no we did that because the 9ers were interested in him.
What series? Franklin didnt start that game I thought. Franklin got hurt against the jags.

What was the result of having Franklin miss that colts game? A **** show on manning. Was painter activated before or after that game.

It's hard to gauge how painter will be since there's nothing really to go off of. But I still don't want him seeing the field cause that means someone went down.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 04-23-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Denver Broncos