The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #101
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Yeah, probably should keep ManRam. He'll start anyway.
If Montgomery plays well we draft someone better than ManRam.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #102
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
This just thins our depth across the line. Here's hoping no one gets hurt. Id rather try out Montgomery. Clark comes in when not if someone gets hurt.
and why we will get more bodies on the OL. Injuries hit last year but we also hit big on bargains with guys like Vasquez.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #103
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
They have a lot of options this year. But none as likely as keeping them both. Too risky to roll with drafted unknowns, and doesn't make sense money-wise to cut ManRam only to sign someone worse and cheaper in FA.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #104
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
They have a lot of options this year. But none as likely as keeping them both. Too risky to roll with drafted unknowns, and doesn't make sense money-wise to cut ManRam only to sign someone worse and cheaper in FA.
IDK, Elway seems to know how to pick FA.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #105
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
IDK, Elway seems to know how to pick FA.
Bringing two guys in at C who don't know the Offense to save a mil isn't something Elway would do. No team would do that really. I thought it might be a good idea, but it's not.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #106
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Man Ram is a better C than Montgomery. People are calling for Montgomery when Manram is actually a pretty damn good C.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #107
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Having a FB is dumb.

Everytime the FB is on the field, automatic run, takes out one weapon in the passing game.

Not like we're running on 8-man boxes, usually 6, at most 7.

Waste of a roster spot to boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
So would all of Denver's opponents this year. That would take one weapon off the field and one less guy to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
lol @ drafting a FB and becoming a power running team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
FB would be an absolute waste of a roster spot..
Yea all you guys can kiss the tip of my dick i want a FB and i want him to be a crazy white guy like Owen Schmitt
Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #108
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Because they are hurting his income potential. Tackles are paid better than guards and the last image suitors will have of him at tackle is bad, without a way to recover from it.
The difference between LT and G pay is big, that's true. The difference between RT and G pay is minimal.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #109
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think OL is still in play for round 1. Elway seems to like hedging his bets at positions where free agents are coming available the following year. Makes good sense. See HB, WR, TE, & DT thus far. I could still see us taking a guy like the guard from UCLA if the board rolls out like we think it will, just like I think we'll still draft a WR high with DT & Welker technically FA's next year.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #110
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

As far as using a FB goes, I would only be interested in it against Seattle.

New Orleans had a lot of success running on Seattle using 22 personnel. Tampa ran pretty well on Seattle out of 21 personnel, but Seattle likely wasn't playing their A-game against Tampa. There were a couple of plays in the divisional game where the Saints' FB clobbered Chancellor and a few other DBs. They were able to set up play-action and get Brees way more time in the pocket.

I agree that a FB is a wasted roster spot because we're going to be using 3 WR and tossing the ball against most everyone we play. For Seattle though, I'd like to see us motion Virgil Green into kind of an H-back position and see if we can emulate what N.O. & Tampa did against Seattle. Or maybe we could use C.J. Anderson as a FB just for that game or motion Demaryius Thomas over as a Flanker on the end of the line. With an interior line of Franklin-Ramirez-Vasquez, I think we will run the ball pretty well on Seattle and slow down that pass rush some.

I think running the ball out of large, heavy formations is at least worth investigating.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #111
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I really don't see the heartburn for most on this. Manning needs the pocket in front of him to step up and throw. Adding your 3 biggest players in the middle of the field is a smart move.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #112
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

A big target in this draft should be an H-Back. Somebody who can play a role on offense, assume some 2nd TE responsibilities along with have special game day duty should we want to motion a guy around in the backfield. I think it would have helped run the ball vs. Seattle. In that case, you have to find a very specific style talent to do it. The TE from UNC could. There are a lot of other hit and miss prospects at TE for that role though. They have to be a tough son of a b**** other wise we'll be stuck with Virgil doing the job.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #113
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I really don't see the heartburn for most on this. Manning needs the pocket in front of him to step up and throw. Adding your 3 biggest players in the middle of the field is a smart move.
I'll speak for myself, I think it's easier to draft a Guard and improve LG than it is to replace Franklin at RT. He had a bad game at the worse possible time! But he has been great. I think Clark can equally hold up in pass protection, where he may be an upgrade against speed rushers, he's a downgrade against stronger DEs, which he will see on a new side! He's also a downgrade in the run game.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #114
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see OLine as an early draft target.

Clady, Franklin, Manny, Vasquez, Clark

Montogmery is your back up LG, C, RG
Justice your back up RT/LT, with Clark able to play LT if Clady sustained another injury
Painter a back up RT/G

Why would you draft an early T, G, C?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #115
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post

New Orleans had a lot of success running on Seattle using 22 personnel. Tampa ran pretty well on Seattle out of 21 personnel, but Seattle likely wasn't playing their A-game against Tampa. There were a couple of plays in the divisional game where the Saints' FB clobbered Chancellor and a few other DBs. They were able to set up play-action and get Brees way more time in the pocket.

I agree that a FB is a wasted roster spot because we're going to be using 3 WR and tossing the ball against most everyone we play. For Seattle though, I'd like to see us motion Virgil Green into kind of an H-back position and see if we can emulate what N.O. & Tampa did against Seattle. Or maybe we could use C.J. Anderson as a FB just for that game or motion Demaryius Thomas over as a Flanker on the end of the line. With an interior line of Franklin-Ramirez-Vasquez, I think we will run the ball pretty well on Seattle and slow down that pass rush some.

I think running the ball out of large, heavy formations is at least worth investigating.
New Orleans got clobbered until they opened up the play book and a dropped INT by Seattle turned into a TD.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #116
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post

I think its very old world thinking.

It's hard to know exactly when you're ahead of the curve, but in today's NFL, with all the spread offenses and wide open game, it probably makes sense to have traditional tackles play along the entire line ... especially when defenses seem to line up D-ends on the inside during pass downs.

Also, i never understood why a heavy formation was ever preferable to a spread. If you're a running back, would you prefer to run into 16 guys on a play that takes a while to develop (including your own) or 10-12 on a quick hit handoff?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #117
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
A big target in this draft should be an H-Back. Somebody who can play a role on offense, assume some 2nd TE responsibilities along with have special game day duty should we want to motion a guy around in the backfield. I think it would have helped run the ball vs. Seattle. In that case, you have to find a very specific style talent to do it. The TE from UNC could. There are a lot of other hit and miss prospects at TE for that role though. They have to be a tough son of a b**** other wise we'll be stuck with Virgil doing the job.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #118
Shananahan
Custom User Title

But really, Hoskins from Marshall is a guy I like a lot for that type of role and he'd fit our pass-heavy approach.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #119
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

Justice your back up RT/LT, with Clark able to play LT if Clady sustained another injury
Painter a back up RT/G

Upgrade over Clark?

Depending who is there, of course.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #120
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Upgrade over Clark?

Depending who is there, of course.
Thats a waste of resources. We drafted Painter, I'm sure the intentions were to develop him into a RT or G. If you draft a rookie then your already giving up on him.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #121
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

I like the move. Gives us a lot of flexibility @ the Draft. Still could draft an OL for competition, or a CB or LB.

Like this. Also like that they let Zane walk.
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #122
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Who is the best RT coming out in this draft?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #123
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
The Broncos already tried the Tim Tebow experience.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #124
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Our RB's coach (Studesville) was talking about how important an H-Back is to him. I think they will continue to use Green in that role. Maybe AC Leonard?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #125
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

Painter a back up RT/G

Security.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote