The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Default My New Pup

I had to put my Boston Terrier down in February and didn't think I'd be ready for a new buddy anytime soon.

While on vacation, I saw this one available at the shelter and couldn't say no….
Attached Images

Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

A fine beast! Congrats Sorry about your loss though, I had to put a pet down a couple weeks ago, it really hurts.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Sorry about your Boston Bull. I also have one and I can understand how quickly they worm their way into your heart. Looks like you got yourself a beaut though and at a shelter is all the better!
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I had to give up my dogs almost 2 years ago and haven't been able to even consider getting a new dog.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Sorry about your loss. We were told that we were going to lose our Quoydogs about 6 months ago . Our Vizsla check out of life when this happened. He moved his food and water dish into our bedroom and would do nothing but lay on the bed.

We accepted the fact that we were going to lose quoy so I stumbled onto a Weizla ( half Weimaraner and half Vizsla ) very rare so I picked him up. I am happy to say Quoy beat the odds and is still with us. He'll never be 100 percent again but he's happy and that's all that matters.

This is Weiz ! congrats on the new pup.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1398106605
Attached Images

Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Thanks guys….putting Kali down was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

My wife and I were talking about getting a new dog and I went out to get my lacrosse gear out of my car. While doing so, I neighbor was jogging with his new Boston Terrier pup in front of my house. I took this as an omen that it was time.

Parkay (the shelter named him and I'm keeping it) is an Australian Cattle Dog mix so I know he'll keep us busy. Couldn't bring myself to get another Boston right away.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Thanks guys….putting Kali down was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

My wife and I were talking about getting a new dog and I went out to get my lacrosse gear out of my car. While doing so, I neighbor was jogging with his new Boston Terrier pup in front of my house. I took this as an omen that it was time.

Parkay (the shelter named him and I'm keeping it) is an Australian Cattle Dog mix so I know he'll keep us busy. Couldn't bring myself to get another Boston right away.
Oh boy, you are not kidding when you say he will keep you busy. I had a Australian Cattle dog mix (named him Foster after the Aussie beer) and that dog would want to play ball until I got tired not the other way around. Very smart dog but they tend to latch onto one person. Everything was fine with him until my wife was about 6 months pregnant with my first born and then all of a sudden he started growling at her. She had some new scent or something that pissed him off. We had to get rid of him because of it. I was bummed out but that was a problem. He never herded anything like they are expected to do but I hope you have nothing but the best times with him/her and not what we got out of Foster at the end. You might want to get one of those automatic ball senders they have for dogs. They are smart enough to figure it out and would probably play with it forever.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Oh boy, you are not kidding when you say he will keep you busy. I had a Australian Cattle dog mix (named him Foster after the Aussie beer) and that dog would want to play ball until I got tired not the other way around. Very smart dog but they tend to latch onto one person. Everything was fine with him until my wife was about 6 months pregnant with my first born and then all of a sudden he started growling at her. She had some new scent or something that pissed him off. We had to get rid of him because of it. I was bummed out but that was a problem. He never herded anything like they are expected to do but I hope you have nothing but the best times with him/her and not what we got out of Foster at the end. You might want to get one of those automatic ball senders they have for dogs. They are smart enough to figure it out and would probably play with it forever.
Thanks! We're hoping him being around the girls as a pup will keep him from being too out of control. Since He'll be around me mostly, I am sure I'll be the alpha.

I've got a healthy supply of tennis and lacrosse balls all set and ordered a herding ball for him.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:

My St. Bernard had a broken hip and was dragging her back legs. It was horrible. I shot her in the back of the head with my 22-250. That is supposed to be how you do it. It's how Old Yeller got his.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Sorry about your loss, Finkle. That one looks nice, the 2 girls and the little boy will have fun with him.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
My St. Bernard had a broken hip and was dragging her back legs. It was horrible. I shot her in the back of the head with my 22-250. That is supposed to be how you do it. It's how Old Yeller got his.
Not sure if you're serious but be considerate not a douche.

Back to the topic I'm sorry for your loss, Finkle. My parents had to put the family dog down this past November. She was a Malamute and golden retriever mix such a loving dog.

What big dog breeds are good with children? I want to get my son a puppy.
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
Google?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Google?
I wanted some personal opinions from OM members or else I wouldn't of asked.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Back to the topic I'm sorry for your loss, Finkle. My parents had to put the family dog down this past November. She was a Malamute and golden retriever mix such a loving dog.

Not kidding. Get him an american stanford pitbull terrier. Best dog I have stumbled upon. Was lucky to adopt mine when she was barely 2 month old. They really just have an undeserved reputation.They are great around kids (called nanny dogs back in the day), and should be ok around other dogs if properly socialized at a young age.

Since I moved out of the house she stayed back with my mom and sister. She is 2 year old now and sterilized her before her first period. She looks young for her age and is full of energy and extremely intelligent. Not kidding on the intelligent part. House training got done and over with in the first month. She understood perfectly where to do her needs as soon as she walked in the house for the first time. She is extremely gentle with her bite/teeth. My 4 year old nephew plays with her and feeds her from his hands the whole time. You can barely even feel her teeth when she is picking a peanut from my fingers. She is great around dogs (though too much energy for the old ones), and she is a great protector of the ones she considers under her watch. Such a gentle dog. I can't wait to have one of my own.

If you consider it to be too medium size, you can always go for the Dogo Argentino.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:

boxers.....I've had 6 in my lifetime and can't recommend them enough.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Congrats Finkle! And so sorry you had to experience one of the worst emotions there is. I never knew a human had so many tears as when I have my have had to put my dogs down. But was thankful we can do that for our "family members" so they don't suffer.

Enjoy, enjoy the new guy!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Thanks again all!

Flacko, boston terriers are always great with kids (mini boxers).
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Doberman
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

2 Beagle household here. Awesome with our 2 year old. They show him far more patience then he deserves.
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #20
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:

Newfoundlands are great with kids.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Not kidding. Get him an american stanford pitbull terrier. Best dog I have stumbled upon. Was lucky to adopt mine when she was barely 2 month old. They really just have an undeserved reputation.They are great around kids (called nanny dogs back in the day), and should be ok around other dogs if properly socialized at a young age.

Since I moved out of the house she stayed back with my mom and sister. She is 2 year old now and sterilized her before her first period. She looks young for her age and is full of energy and extremely intelligent. Not kidding on the intelligent part. House training got done and over with in the first month. She understood perfectly where to do her needs as soon as she walked in the house for the first time. She is extremely gentle with her bite/teeth. My 4 year old nephew plays with her and feeds her from his hands the whole time. You can barely even feel her teeth when she is picking a peanut from my fingers. She is great around dogs (though too much energy for the old ones), and she is a great protector of the ones she considers under her watch. Such a gentle dog. I can't wait to have one of my own.

If you consider it to be too medium size, you can always go for the Dogo Argentino.
I have a am staff. The name is american Staffordshire terrier.not to be confused with the american pittbull terrier. They are essentially the same dog however the am staffs are smaller. I had a buddy and his wife have some unfortunate things happen and they came and stayed with me. My dog never leaves my side however their 2 month old she'd crawl up and lay next to him and when he'd cry my dog would run around the house barking and looking at the mom like do something lol. Craziest thing I'd ever seen. I'll see if I can dig usucces

The American Staffordshire Terrier is an intelligent, happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving toward people, it is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more than to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog that is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curb any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order. They need a firm, confident, consistent owner who understands how to display proper leadership. The objective in training this dog is to achieve pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in its pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader; lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success

Two big points my am staff I got at 9 mos and had a rough life early she's dog aggressive. Socialize it throughly

She is VERY VERY VERY good with people never even growled at anyone. The above is very good advice.

They need to be disciplined, not beaten. Most people done understand dogs. I'd also suggest getting some dog psychology books
Attached Images

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 04-21-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I have a am staff. The name is american Staffordshire terrier.not to be confused with the american pittbull terrier. They are essentially the same dog however the am staffs are smaller. I had a buddy and his wife have some unfortunate things happen and they came and stayed with me. My dog never leaves my side however their 2 month old she'd crawl up and lay next to him and when he'd cry my dog would run around the house barking and looking at the mom like do something lol. Craziest thing I'd ever seen. I'll see if I can dig usucces

The American Staffordshire Terrier is an intelligent, happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving toward people, it is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more than to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog that is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curb any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order. They need a firm, confident, consistent owner who understands how to display proper leadership. The objective in training this dog is to achieve pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in its pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader; lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success

Two big points my am staff I got at 9 mos and had a rough life early she's dog aggressive. Socialize it throughly

She is VERY VERY VERY good with people never even growled at anyone. The above is very good advice.

They need to be disciplined, not beaten. Most people done understand dogs. I'd also suggest getting some dog psychology books
yup, should had clarified that. Mine is half amstaff half pitt.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I had to put my Boston Terrier down in February and didn't think I'd be ready for a new buddy anytime soon.

While on vacation, I saw this one available at the shelter and couldn't say no….
Sorry to hear about your loss but congrats on the new addition to your family.

Boston Terriers are great dogs. I've got a Chihuahua Boston mix and she's the cutest.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

That is a big pup.
Losing a pet is not easy. I had to put my Chow chow down years ago and haven't owned a dog since.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #25
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Some beautiful dogs recommended, but I would love an American pitbull. Dogs that shed obviously require more maintaince.

Last edited by Flacko; 04-22-2014 at 11:40 PM..