The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default How football players get paid?

So I am curious how players in the NFL get paid. Us normal folks, we work a 40 hour week and get paid by the hour or you are a salary employee and get paid a specific amount.

So my question is if you are a players that is barely making the cut in the NFL, you practice all week, go to all the meetings, but don't dress for the game. Do you still get all your money? For some reason, you keep hearing about all the suspensions and how much a player will loose. So does that mean that all the money they make is on sundays and all the other stuff during the week is essentially free?

how do injuries work? do they still get paid if they don't dress for that week? who pays, is it the insurance company? do they get short term disability? does it matter if they are on the IR or if they are a game time decision?

how about teams resting players at the end of the season when the team already wrapped of homefield advantage?
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

They back a 3/4 ton pickup to a overhead money dispenser, then fill the bed full of 100 dollar bills until the suspension groans. Every week.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They have a contract, and if they are on the roster they get paid their agreed-upon salary at the regular time. It is not affected by whether they play, dress out, get injured, or go on IR. I don't know when "pay day" is, but it's a function of being on the roster, not particular practices or team activities.

Disciplinary suspensions are the only special case, and they are case-by-case as to whether the punishment costs them pay.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

from a Google search I found this

Paychecks
  • NFL players receive a check every two weeks during the regular season, that's nine paychecks per season. The paychecks are issued every other Friday, but don't begin until the first regular season game. So during training camp and pre-season games, the players don't receive any payments. Players can opt to have their salary divided up evenly over the year. The NFL divides the players' guaranteed salary by the number of weeks in the season. For eight checks, the players get two weeks' pay, and for one check, a single week of pay.

Bonuses
  • In addition to their guaranteed pay, players may earn more money for things such as being on the roster on a certain day or working out with the team during the off-season. Some players receive bonuses for making the all-pro team or earning other honors. Sports agents negotiate different bonuses for different players. Players may get bonuses for meeting goals such as the number of yards rushed or touchdowns scored. All of these increase the amount of a player's pay, but they're only available during regular season if the player is active.

Injured Players
  • A player may show up at training camp and be injured there or during a pre-season game. Even if he doesn't play a single game during the regular season, as long as he remains with the team he'll receive his regular paycheck with his guaranteed payment. Contracts can stipulate behavior that will make the player ineligible for his payment, such as engaging in illegal activities or participating in other dangerous sports.

Compensation Math
  • While NFL players earn big salaries, only about half the money in their contracts is typically guaranteed. Injury or poor performance on the field can reduce a player's income substantially, wiping out incentive pay and future contract years that make up so much of the big-money player contracts. While players aren't drawing checks during the pre-season, the promise of money to come is an incentive for them to perform well and earn more playing time during the regular season.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_10067818_nf...#ixzz2zWvb9QAs
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

During the offseason they get a small per diem to come in during workouts. Players who haven't made the team and their just for camp fodder get a decent hourly wage. Most players have some kind of bonus they can qualify for if they make all their offseason workouts or even are just still on the roster by like June, for example.

Once camp begins they qualify for additional bonuses after their physicals. And after camp ends and the season begins, the paying begins.

Players are paid weekly and their signing bonuses are spread out through each paycheck by each year the total is appropriated. If a player is injured, he doesn't always get all his salary. Some players have contracts that give them less money if they don't play. Some have it worded where they need to be active or start to get certain escalators.

Once the playoffs begin there is a small bonus all the players get for playing in a playoff game. 23k for home wild card players and 21 for the road wild card teams, 23k for the divisional game, 42k for the conference and the Super Bowl nets you 92k if you win and 46k if you lose.

They make all their real money during the regular season, so they need to save it. This is also why some players get into trouble during their bye. They have money to burn and want to use it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
from a Google search I found this

Paychecks
  • NFL players receive a check every two weeks during the regular season, that's nine paychecks per season. The paychecks are issued every other Friday, but don't begin until the first regular season game. So during training camp and pre-season games, the players don't receive any payments. Players can opt to have their salary divided up evenly over the year. The NFL divides the players' guaranteed salary by the number of weeks in the season. For eight checks, the players get two weeks' pay, and for one check, a single week of pay.

Bonuses
  • In addition to their guaranteed pay, players may earn more money for things such as being on the roster on a certain day or working out with the team during the off-season. Some players receive bonuses for making the all-pro team or earning other honors. Sports agents negotiate different bonuses for different players. Players may get bonuses for meeting goals such as the number of yards rushed or touchdowns scored. All of these increase the amount of a player's pay, but they're only available during regular season if the player is active.

Injured Players
  • A player may show up at training camp and be injured there or during a pre-season game. Even if he doesn't play a single game during the regular season, as long as he remains with the team he'll receive his regular paycheck with his guaranteed payment. Contracts can stipulate behavior that will make the player ineligible for his payment, such as engaging in illegal activities or participating in other dangerous sports.

Compensation Math
  • While NFL players earn big salaries, only about half the money in their contracts is typically guaranteed. Injury or poor performance on the field can reduce a player's income substantially, wiping out incentive pay and future contract years that make up so much of the big-money player contracts. While players aren't drawing checks during the pre-season, the promise of money to come is an incentive for them to perform well and earn more playing time during the regular season.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_10067818_nf...#ixzz2zWvb9QAs
....well I just wasted my time. lol. I didn't cheat, though.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

thanks for the info!

it explains some of the questions i had regarding players not dressed on gameday. its all in the escalators i guess. can't hit your bonus if you're not dressed to play. but atleast you still get paid to sit and watch.

so another question is insurance? the rates for football players must way high. do they even have insurance? who pays all the hospital bills, team? player? insurance? if their is insurance, is the rate different depending on the position you play.

thanks for the info, i am trying to get an idea what these guys have to go through.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
so another question is insurance? the rates for football players must way high. do they even have insurance? who pays all the hospital bills, team? player? insurance? if their is insurance, is the rate different depending on the position you play.

thanks for the info, i am trying to get an idea what these guys have to go through.
It's all covered by the employer. They don't pay out of pocket of the premiums or for the actual treatment.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
During the offseason they get a small per diem to come in during workouts. Players who haven't made the team and their just for camp fodder get a decent hourly wage.

I had a friend who was a keyboard player in a night club I worked at years back. He was well built and in great shape. He tried out for the Carolina Panthers. He made it to final cuts before being cut. During that summer, he made enough money to pay off his house and buy him and his wife brand new cars. Now this was over 10 years ago. He said he would never do that again. So yeah, even those guys make a good amount of money.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

They play football
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
It's all covered by the employer. They don't pay out of pocket of the premiums or for the actual treatment.

good info, thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
I had a friend who was a keyboard player in a night club I worked at years back. He was well built and in great shape. He tried out for the Carolina Panthers. He made it to final cuts before being cut. During that summer, he made enough money to pay off his house and buy him and his wife brand new cars. Now this was over 10 years ago. He said he would never do that again. So yeah, even those guys make a good amount of money.
I think the camp fodder guys and the Practice Squad guys get $5,000 per week, for every week that they're with the team.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote