The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #176
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
Jean Baptiste is over-rated, this is coming from a huge Nebraska fan. I've seen him live three times and on TV week in and week out. If Sherman and tall CB's weren't so in vogue right now then he's a 5th rounder.

Somebody has a crush on Moncrief? I think we can get Donte in the 3rd round, scratch Baptiste and pick up a quality player in the 2nd.
1. Ryan Shazier
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Marcus Roberson
4. Antonio Richardson
5. Logan Thomas
6. Chaz Sutton
7. James Wilder Jr.

Better?

Moncrief will go in the 2nd round. Book it!

Last edited by Traveler; 04-28-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #177
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

Moncrief will go in the 2nd round. Book it!
I don't doubt that he'll go in the 2nd, I just pray that it isn't the Broncos who take him there. I can list 20+ players I'd rather have in rd 2, and a few of them would be WRs.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #178
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

My feeling is if Mosley drops down to say 25 Broncos could move up for him. Not sure what they would give but I don't think they would give enough to say move up into the teens for him etc. But maybe a few spots if that is what it took.

Then I bet fall back plan is Shazier. Then if he wasn't there maybe Kony Ealy or whichever CB they think could play some in the slot this yr and play well.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #179
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't think WR will be a target because they signed Sanders and kept Caldwell right? Really we don't need anything else at WR. So anything IMO would be a later round guy expected to help in 2016 etc. Then also Robinson still being groomed and if they like him it makes it even less of a chance WR is a big plan in this yrs draft.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #180
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
My feeling is if Mosley drops down to say 25 Broncos could move up for him. Not sure what they would give but I don't think they would give enough to say move up into the teens for him etc. But maybe a few spots if that is what it took.

Then I bet fall back plan is Shazier. Then if he wasn't there maybe Kony Ealy or whichever CB they think could play some in the slot this yr and play well.
Draft is too deep to move up imo.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #181
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I don't think WR will be a target because they signed Sanders and kept Caldwell right? Really we don't need anything else at WR. So anything IMO would be a later round guy expected to help in 2016 etc. Then also Robinson still being groomed and if they like him it makes it even less of a chance WR is a big plan in this yrs draft.
We only have 4 WRs. I know we kept only 4 last year, but considering Welker is probably gone after this year, I'd be surprised if we didnt draft one
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #182
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Because the draft never goes the way any fan wants it to go, I'll just list the guys I'd like to see us draft in no particular order. Hopefully some of them will be available when we're on the clock -

[] LB is a need, so hopefully we'll be able to grab Ryan Shazier, Kyle Van Noy, or Yawin Smallwood

[] Safety needs to be improved as we have no idea if Moore is gonna be healthy or moderately tolerable when he comes back, so hopefully we can get Ed Reynolds, Tre Boston, or Vinnie Sunseri (if he's heathy)

[] Signing Talib to team with Harris means we don't have to panic and reach for a CB, we still can use quality depth and hopefully we can snag a guy like Terrance Mitchell, Jaylen Watkins, or Keith McGill (who is a converted safety)

[] WR can use some depth so a guy like Jordan Matthews or Cody Latimer will be welcomed greatly, and since Holliday took his fumbling act to NY, we could use a a guy like TJ Jones to return kicks and Ryan Grant to make those tough 3rd down conversions

[] Need to pressure the opposing QB more so a couple of pass rushers would be nice too. Kareem Martin or Kony Ealy would make most fans applaud their selection, if we wait a bit, Cassius Marsh, Josh Mauro, or Ed Stinson (is big enough to move inside to DT) might be worth a mid round selection.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #183
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Why does Elway care what i think?

Does he read this board.
Absolutely! Of course he does!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #184
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I stopped trying to figure it out because it never goes they way I wanted it. The only pick that I actually called was Oz in the second because of Elway's hard on for his son's bff. I would like to get Shaizer from OSU in the first and Richardson the RT from Tennessee or one of those big WR's like Bryant from Clemson, Jordan Matthews or Moncrief in the second but who knows!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #185
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

2014 NFL Draft

May 8-10

Good grief

maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #186
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Caldwell is purely a depth guy at this point, Welker is one concussion away from an extended absence and Robinson is listed as a TE on the roster at this point. We need to add some quality depth at the position with a guy who can be a starter in 2015.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #187
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Caldwell is purely a depth guy at this point, Welker is one concussion away from an extended absence and Robinson is listed as a TE on the roster at this point. We need to add some quality depth at the position with a guy who can be a starter in 2015.
I'd rather plan on DT staying, Sanders being good for a few yrs, and just renting a vet if we need depth this yr.

But the draft is 7 rounds so plenty of room to draft a WR. I would be surprised if it was first 2 rounds though. But there are a lot of good ones from what I hear so that does mean there is a chance a good one could drop and be BPA.

Still I like the idea of improving the oline, the linebackers, and maybe a DE.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #188
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
I'd rather plan on DT staying, Sanders being good for a few yrs, and just renting a vet if we need depth this yr.

But the draft is 7 rounds so plenty of room to draft a WR. I would be surprised if it was first 2 rounds though. But there are a lot of good ones from what I hear so that does mean there is a chance a good one could drop and be BPA.

There is no way in hell Elway will gamble like that after the injuries we suffered last season and with Manning getting older.
We have 2 legitimate long term WR's in DT and Sanders, Welker is in the final season of his deal and had injury issues last season. Caldwell is depth and then you have nothing else at pure WR.
I fully expect us to take a WR in the top 3 rounds, I honestly think it will be in the 2nd depending on the board and who falls.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #189
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

was watching nfln last night and two guys doing the show said that the Broncos had a shot of drafting Shazier and that he'd work out fine as the Broncos Mike.

really?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #190
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
was watching nfln last night and two guys doing the show said that the Broncos had a shot of drafting Shazier and that he'd work out fine as the Broncos Mike.

really?
It would be entertaining to watch Shazier & Trev flying around making plays.
Run defense might be a bit suspect but some fool would get cracked over the middle.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #191
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It would be entertaining to watch Shazier & Trev flying around making plays.
Run defense might be a bit suspect but some fool would get cracked over the middle.
Id be ok with this so long as we add another run thumper (or Irving plays this role again)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #192
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Id be ok with this so long as we add another run thumper (or Irving plays this role again)
The issue with the theory of a thumper and a coverage guy is that if you take the coverage guy higher than the thumper, the coverage guy is not really going to leave the field. Except maybe in the red zone and on obvious run downs.

Unless you are actually going to draft and develop a legit complete MLB then you end up with the same problem.

Trev is not leaving the field, Von is playing a ton of snaps flexing between SAM and DE.
The thumper would only get time at SAM when Von shifts to DE and at MLB on running downs. The coverage guy would likely be on the field at MLB and potentially only shift to WLB, expect Danny is not leaving the field.

Now if you draft the thumper first, then it flips to where the coverage guy comes in on passing downs.
Whoever the person we draft needs to be a complete guy or can be developed into a complete guy.
2 is not better than 1 in the scenario.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #193
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lestat is that you!??
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #194
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Lestat is that you!??
*sighs* Once again, we are talking about my preference vs the team's thought process.
I do not now nor have I ever agreed with the thought process of playing the nickel so much.
I want no part of a should be OLB playing MLB, I want no part of a over 50% nickle defense.
The reality of the situation is that the team for whatever reason sees fit to ignore the problem and try to band aid it with on their last leg vets, playing guys out of position or designating a guy there and then moving him.

They have made it work for them. It has holes but for the current personnel it works well.

I do not like how the defense is set up. I have said this many times.
I want a legitimate MLB, I want them to leave the damn MLB on the field and let him make the play calls.
I do not want to see nickel defense with 2 coverage LB's on the field most of the time because it leaves us heavily exposed in the run game.
I want them to have a stout run defense and a solid passing defense without potential gimmicks or modeling a D because you won't address a issue.

Of course what I want does not matter. That however will not stop me from voicing that opinion. Defensive tackle was a area in which the team ignored it for years and it came back to bite them as DT's get overpaid in FA much like pass rushing DE's and deep play WR's.
I see MLB as a similar problem. Why would you continually know of a problem and see that attempting a year to year fix does not work and yet still not fix it?
Saying you use the nickel a lot is not a good excuse.

I never said I did not see the logical in your views in terms of what the team does.
Only that I hate the idea and hope it ends quickly.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #195
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We are in Nickel more often than not, because we are typically playing with the lead and teams need to throw to catch up. It's not like we will be playing Nickel in obvious running situations.

Look at the MLBs in the NFL, the really good ones are somewhat rangy and can cover. The days of the thumper are leaving the game along with the FB on offense.

It would be nice to have a three down player, but unless we draft Mosley, we are talking about taking a cover guy and that's what's important in today's NFL.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #196
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If the Broncos can't get a legit pass rush going with 4 dlineman than there's a problem. Having the base set be the 5-2 says more about the crappy dline than anything else. As for Miller, I don't understand why they can't blitz him out of a base 4-3 instead of always lining him up on the outside of the dline. Regardless, if the Broncos insist on running the 5-2 then who ever the LBers are, they have to cover a lot of ground, Shazier can do that.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #197
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

really?
Just for comparison sakes.

Shazier is 237.

Wagner is 241, Kuechly is 235, Willis is 240, Donald Butler is 242, Curtis Lofton is 241.

Probably some others.

But Shazier weighs just less than all of them but Kuechly.

Behind our massive DL, he would be ok for a few years.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #198
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

yah, I'm warming up to Shazier more and more...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #199
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Caldwell is a pure depth guy.

Welker has concussion issues.

Depth is needed there, we far from fine.

We have plenty at DE between Wolfe, Jackson, Q, Ware, McCray, Miller when he moves to DE.

WR should be picked within the first 3 rounds, no two ways about it.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #200
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
*sighs* Once again, we are talking about my preference vs the team's thought process.
I do not now nor have I ever agreed with the thought process of playing the nickel so much.
I want no part of a should be OLB playing MLB, I want no part of a over 50% nickle defense.
The reality of the situation is that the team for whatever reason sees fit to ignore the problem and try to band aid it with on their last leg vets, playing guys out of position or designating a guy there and then moving him.

They have made it work for them. It has holes but for the current personnel it works well.

I do not like how the defense is set up. I have said this many times.
I want a legitimate MLB, I want them to leave the damn MLB on the field and let him make the play calls.
I do not want to see nickel defense with 2 coverage LB's on the field most of the time because it leaves us heavily exposed in the run game.
I want them to have a stout run defense and a solid passing defense without potential gimmicks or modeling a D because you won't address a issue.

Of course what I want does not matter. That however will not stop me from voicing that opinion. Defensive tackle was a area in which the team ignored it for years and it came back to bite them as DT's get overpaid in FA much like pass rushing DE's and deep play WR's.
I see MLB as a similar problem. Why would you continually know of a problem and see that attempting a year to year fix does not work and yet still not fix it?
Saying you use the nickel a lot is not a good excuse.

I never said I did not see the logical in your views in terms of what the team does.
Only that I hate the idea and hope it ends quickly.
We run a ton of nickel because we get leads and FORCE teams to pass the ball.

Most teams use a lot of 3-CB sets or 3-S sets (Saints) when they go to nickel.

The days of the big, ol goober at MLB are over.

It's a passing league, and getting a coverage LB is more important than a 3-down run stuffer.